Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:44 am 

I was just watching an interview upon breakfast, about a 70 years old local radio. And the current radio's director was talking about how many material (reels, documents, tapes, etc...) they have lost due to lack of conservancy... That suddenly made me worry about the material in the vault.

Don't you think it would be a very nice idea to the ZFT to organize a FZ FUNDATION, to gather money towards keeping the memory and works of FZ alive?

They could raise money with private third parties and use it towards the complete organization and maintenance of the vault (an inventory), towards a better remuneration of the vaultmeiste, it could help to subsideze future releases (more historical and sociological relevance then commercial relevance) and eventually they could build a nice FRANK ZAPPA MUSEUM. What do you think, is it feasible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:01 pm 

I think right now, having a Zappa foundation is semi worthless. His immediate family is still profitting of of his works, releasing things as they see fit, and Zappa is as much in the public's conscience as he ever was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:40 pm 

im an editing student at film school. they should hire me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:49 pm 

I think Mr Green Genes is making a good point here. We are told about prohibitive costs for certain projects that might be released in the near future but are being delayed because of these costs, meanwhile there are suposedly countless tapes that are aging in the background of the ones currently under the spotlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 pm 

I once wrote to FZ expressing my concern that all the vault material might end up in the dirt if they had a natural disaster (considering that LA is earthquake prone).
Gail sent me a leaflet outlining the availability and costs of getting scores of FZ's output.
Maybe only FZ himself had the knowledge to know what was worth listening to amongst all those tapes, although I am sure, like me, there are many individuals who would like to hear the recordings that have never made it to album.

Do you ever wonder if Ahmet, Dweezil or Moon spend time trawling through his tapes?
I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 pm 

it ain't gonna happen unless some billionaire zappafreek
with an extra $50 mil decides to take the initiative and fund it like paul allen did for hendrix/experience project in seattle, or somehow get tax exempt status so fundraisers could go out & get big donations

maybe dweezil spends time listening to frank's archives, but the other kids probably don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:20 pm 

I have no problem with Gail and the children making their living and meeting their expenses for life in general from their asset. I do feel positive towards a long term arrangement such that the archive is preserved and maintained as any composer with a body of work deserves. There are one or two billionaire FZ freaks that may be interested if a workable structure can be reached. Not sure about public funding in the USA, or even a way of the American Inland revenue finding a solution, but then again I know that these things happen in the bizarre world of US tax affairs. I know that Robert Fripp has a Collectors Club that seems to raise funds for making availible King Crimson recordings, I believe this was a way of books being published 150 years ago : by subscription in the UK. I like the idea of a Frank Zappa collectors club, and the idea of subscribing to one. What a shame he is not around to make use of the Internet, as a micro-method to disseminate his product. I feel that the Zappa family have not made effective use of this, especially as the numbers of people who visit this forum seem to suggest

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:04 am 

Don't be silly about Gail & the kids "profiteering" off Frank's tapes & whatnots--would he have wanted them to either discard or sell off the rights to the Vault? Nonsense.

Whether or not a museum is ever built, FZ lives, on the net and in our hearts & minds. I wrote a piece a while back explaining this in pop culture, cheezy epistemologiezy terminology (Frank Zappa Lives--and so does Frodo...), but it's self-evident both here in this board and the larger(?) world. Any time we're confronted with the hypocrisy of plastic people, we immediately ask, "What would Frank say?", not WWJD (although the two might not be as far apart as has been suggested--despite, maybe even because of Cosmic Debris, there was an undeniable cosmic consciousness that FZ tapped into. Gail knows this, and so do you all--it's what allowed his genius to manifest itself in his music and in our heads. It certainly isn't the typical Californian 39.95 variety, and Frank was as un-guru as he could be, but it's there alright, floating on that sofa...)

Any ideas as to how to contact Gail & Moon? Gail for expressions of solidarnosc, Moon to chat about her book, which I finally just read...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:02 pm 

You can send an e-mail to Gail through this site.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:03 pm 

How do you delete messages anyway? Edit sure doesn't work

Last edited by Canard Du Jour on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Fundation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:20 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
it ain't gonna happen unless some billionaire zappafreek
with an extra $50 mil decides to take the initiative and fund it like paul allen did for hendrix/experience project in seattle, or somehow get tax exempt status so fundraisers could go out & get big donations

maybe dweezil spends time listening to frank's archives, but the other kids probably don't

I wonder whether it would really take one loaded party? I think once the word got out and things were fully put together, who knows? Of course having proceeds go towards the project certainly wouldn't hurt either!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 pm 

Canard Du Jour wrote:
How do you delete messages anyway?

you can't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:03 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Canard Du Jour wrote:
How do you delete messages anyway?

you can't.

ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:17 pm 

If there was a ROXY FUND...

I'd fucking donate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:40 pm 

What about the Library of Congress? Or the library of congressional wives...

foo-ee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:17 am 

häuptling aberja wrote:
Don't be silly about Gail & the kids "profiteering" off Frank's tapes & whatnots--would he have wanted them to either discard or sell off the rights to the Vault? Nonsense.

But as far as I was aware Frank didn't care if he was remembered or whether his music lived on. So there goes your argument.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 am 

There is no FZ Museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:36 am 

Crudblud wrote:
häuptling aberja wrote:

But as far as I was aware Frank didn't care if he was remembered or whether his music lived on. So there goes your argument.

I hate to sound cynical and I doubly hate to question Frank's word, but c'mon... how could he have worked his whole life on a body of work and not cared if it lived on? I think he was just being humble, which is an honorable attitude to have, but everyone is vain to some extent, whether or not we admit it. Why do people create art? "Hey Mom, look at me! Look at me!" That's the primal impetus behind it, I think.

Please don't take insult at this - I know I may be crossing the "artistic integrity" line, but I was a philosophy major in college and I can't help but analyze things until the magic's all gone. Plus, I'm in a crappy mood today. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 am 

feetlightup wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
häuptling aberja wrote:

I hate to sound cynical and I doubly hate to question Frank's word, but c'mon... how could he have worked his whole life on a body of work and not cared if it lived on? I think he was just being humble, which is an honorable attitude to have, but everyone is vain to some extent, whether or not we admit it. Why do people create art? "Hey Mom, look at me! Look at me!" That's the primal impetus behind it, I think.

Please don't take insult at this - I know I may be crossing the "artistic integrity" line, but I was a philosophy major in college and I can't help but analyze things until the magic's all gone. Plus, I'm in a crappy mood today. :wink:

Well, Philosopher Feet, who would've thought it? You know, other than people that know him personally. Nevermind...

Yes, yes Frank had a huge ego (it's true, don't deny it), but still I know there's the whole attention thing behind what a lot of people do, I'm just not sure if Frank did it for that. Obviously when he discovered an audience then he knows he's going to have people listen to it, but when he first began composing it was most likely that hardly anyone would ever hear it. I don't know whether the fame did change him or whatever but I think there's at least some truth to what he said.

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:55 am 

Crudblud wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
häuptling aberja wrote:

Well, Philosopher Feet, who would've thought it? You know, other than people that know him personally. Nevermind...

Yes, yes Frank had a huge ego (it's true, don't deny it), but still I know there's the whole attention thing behind what a lot of people do, I'm just not sure if Frank did it for that. Obviously when he discovered an audience then he knows he's going to have people listen to it, but when he first began composing it was most likely that hardly anyone would ever hear it. I don't know whether the fame did change him or whatever but I think there's at least some truth to what he said.

I agree he did it mainly for himself, even after he acquired a large(ish) audience. The man did have integrity, that's for sure. I remember reading something to the effect that he wrote stuff like he did because it's what he wanted to hear, and since no one else was writing it, he did it himself. But so much effort went into it, that it seems absurd that he wouldn't care if everyone just threw it all in the trash once he died - I'm sure he was too proud of his work to wish it to be dismissed like that.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the Residents, who for their second album (so the legend goes) recorded an entire piece (now known as "Not Available") and then stored it away, never intending to release it in the first place. It was an exercise in an ego-less process of creation, creating something for no intended audience at all, based on the premise that one sacrifices his true natural artistic impulses when creating art with an audience in mind. Eventually Ralph Records did release it, but by then the Residents had "forgotten it existed" so the they didn't mind. An interesting way to work, assuming it's not just a bunch of BS cooked up to fuel the Residents' myth. It is my favorite album of theirs by far though - and sounds very different from the rest of their material.

My point (I have a point?) is that such ego-free creation of art is definitely difficult to do without taking extreme measures like the Residents did and literally recording something with no intention to release it. BUT, even in their case, it's hard to imagine the Residents making that album without thinking at least once, "Will so-and-so like this?" or even "Will people be really blown away by how out-there this is?"

Bla Bla Bla... ok, enough from me.. This is worse than some of my term papers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 am 

just do as metallica, relase everything in download format, relase the whole zappa catalog in vinyl and then do a couple of business deals with itunes store and stuff and for the real zappa freaks relase all of the zappa interviews, :shock:
and yeah by the way when does the zappa radio coming up agian?!

Post subject: Zappa Museum
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:32 am 

ninjamann wrote:
just do as metallica, relase everything in download format, relase the whole zappa catalog in vinyl and then do a couple of business deals with itunes store and stuff and for the real zappa freaks relase all of the zappa interviews, :shock:

I don't know if you've seem pictures of the vault, but releasing all of the projects and shows properly, especially if they were attempted to be released in a timely manner, would be virtually impossible as far as I'm concerned. :P

Post subject: Re: Zappa Museum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:09 am 

Canard Du Jour wrote:
ninjamann wrote:

I don't know if you've seem pictures of the vault, but releasing all of the projects and shows properly, especially if they were attempted to be released in a timely manner, would be virtually impossible as far as I'm concerned. :P

nahhh you thinkin small man :twisted:

Post subject: Legitimizing Myself
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:16 pm 

(I need a coupla legit posts b4 I can post the links I wanted to about this subject, so here's the first...)

..in serious leather...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:07 am 

Quote:
For some reason, I'm reminded of the Residents, who for their second album (so the legend goes) recorded an entire piece (now known as "Not Available") and then stored it away, never intending to release it in the first place.

I've always thought that that was totally fictionalized. It does not sound like a product of the 70's.