Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Forum RSS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 am 

It would be cool if the Forum had a RSS channel for thread updates! :)

Is it a difficult thing to implement?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS]Image
CLICK ME[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:05 pm 

Yes that would be great if Mikey could do this.
Plus I am almost certain it is just a bunch of files to copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:33 pm 

A what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:14 pm 

king wrote:
A what?

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS]Image
CLICK ME[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:25 am 

king wrote:
A what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

oops ... did not se the "click me" sign above ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 am 

That would really make life easier for some forum addicteds... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:05 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
That would really make life easier for some forum addicteds... :roll:

how so? for instance there's a toggle when you post that will notify you when a reply is posted . . . . but I figgered you already knew that. and to be honest I don't subscribe to an rss feed. I can read the wiki file on what it's supposed to do but how would it be an improvement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 pm 

I would receive in real time (as I do with other sites) any update to the forum, without need to browse the forum to check manually.

here is what it looks like:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 am 

Add RSS News Feeds to Your Web Pages Free

You Could Be Adding News Feeds to Your Website In Minutes

In 5 minutes your website could be displaying fresh themed content from RSS News Feeds around the web ... that updates itself automatically 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! You'll never have to lift a finger and you'll be offering your viewers valuable and highly relevant material .. the best part is, this offer is 100% Free.

What is RSS?

* RSS is an acronym for "Really Simple Syndication".
* RSS is a syndication format for web content. Simply speaking ...
RSS is a new way of getting fresh content for your web pages.

Many websites online and almost every blog, offer a feed of their content in RSS format. As RSS grows in popularity more publishers are likely to join in and offer their own RSS feeds.

That means finding and publishing fresh content for your visitors just got a whole lot easier.
No More Time Wasted ...

* Writing your own articles
* Hiring articles writers
* Scouring article databases for new articles

Simply Add A Few Lines of Code on Your
Web Pages and the Articles Will
Self Update Every Day!

* Your visitors will come back to your website often to find the latest news on their intrests.

* RSS feeds will make your pages more relevant and "sticky"

* Adding RSS feeds to your web pages will get the search engine spiders to index your pages and come back more often because of the constantly changing information.

Publishers Offer RSS Feeds for Free

But up until now there hasn't been an easy way to get these feeds on your website and customize them to blend in with your pages. You may have noticed that many publishers already offer a feed on their sites that you can add to your web pages, but almost all are in javascript format which #1. cannot be customized and #2. Cannot be read by Search engines.
Our RSS Reader Is;

* Free. There is no cost to use the reader on your website.

* Easy to customize for your website. No CSS, No PHP skills neccessary. Anyone can do this. Just click a few buttons to choose the look of your feeds, then add the code to your web pages. That is it!

* Search engine friendly! Choose from Javascript or PHP for your web pages. We offer javascript but we do not recommend that you choose javascript format for your pages, since search engines cannot read javascript. PHP is the search engine friendly format. The feeds will actually be a part of your web page so that search engines will spider and read the words, not the RSS code.

* Easy to add to either PHP or HTML pages. Great for Blogs, Forums and message boards too.

No Installation and
No Programming Neccessary ...
Have Fresh Headlines on Your Pages
in 5 Minutes.

http://rssfeedreader.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:45 am 
Banned

It would be the ISAAC UPDATE!

Post subject: Re: Zappa Forum RSS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:08 am 
Banned

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
It would be cool if the Forum had a RSS channel for thread updates! :)

I don't see the point. If one cared enough about a certain thread, he'd be checking the board in which it was posted on enough times to see whenever it was updated.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 am 

Isaac wrote:
I don't see the point. If one cared enough about a certain thread, he'd be checking the board in which it was posted on enough times to see whenever it was updated.

RSS allows checking several forums/sites/blogs updates at once in only one interface without connecting to all of them separately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:39 am 

Maroual wrote:
Isaac wrote:

RSS allows checking several forums/sites/blogs updates at once in only one interface without connecting to all of them separately.

Thanks Maroual.

For instance, Isaac, I'd be probably be able to see when you are flooding the forum, bumping threads to bury those you want to hide, and save my time logging in the forum to find out.... Just an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:53 am 

Bad idea. I can see nothing but "New message by Isaac" lines already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:59 am 
Banned

And I can see when MGG is flooding the forum with conspiracy-theorist mumbo-jumbo. :roll:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 am 

Isaac wrote:
And I can see when MGG is flooding the forum with conspiracy-theorist mumbo-jumbo. :roll:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Who has been flooding what?

That is what I might avoid with a RSS feed system in this forum... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:19 am 
Banned

I didn't do that. The government made me do that so they can take over the Zappa Forum and delete all of your conspiracy theorist ramblings. Because they know that you know the truth that 9/11 was an inside job, and they want to destroy you.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am 

Isaac wrote:
I didn't do that. The government made me do that so they can take over the Zappa Forum and delete all of your conspiracy theorist ramblings. Because they know that you know the truth that 9/11 was an inside job, and they want to destroy you.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

IF you keep trolling, changing subjects and attacking me in every thread or post I do, I swear I will fucking head the BAN ISAAC movement, are we clear? For someone with a censorship quote on his signature, you seem to be very opposed to freedom of thought and expression...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 am 
Banned

What you call "trolling", others refer to as "humor". Your initial "flooding the board" comment had about as much to do with the topic at hand as any of the comments I've made here, and was nothing more than an unprovoked insult. And the comment about "for someone with that quote in your signature, you seem very opposed to free thought and expression"? Your concept of reality as we know it is dwindling, MGG. I am not opposed to free expression. At what point have I ever called for you to be censored? Stop trying to make this all about me. You had no reason to make the "flooding the boards" comment in the first place.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Isaac wrote:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Who has been flooding what?

That is what I might avoid with a RSS feed system in this forum... 8)

On a serious matter: MGG, I am a newbie on this: Will such a feed indeed not be a nuisance in the case shown in the picture? Or could one filter out particular threads?

It is indeed the fear of being disturbed too much that has kept me away from joining in on this RSS thing (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 am 

Maybe, HJ. The only real advantage is to have it all centralized in one single interface, as Maroual has pointed out. You don't need to "physically" open your browser to know a new thread was created. I am not sure it would update when new replies came in, but I believe so (the tread title would appear highlighted showing it was updated)... Anyway, it is very handy stuff. It is real time...

More or less like this:

Isaac wrote:
Your initial "flooding the board" comment had about as much to do with the topic at hand as any of the comments I've made here, and was nothing more than an unprovoked insult. ... blah, blah, blah... You had no reason to make the "flooding the boards" comment in the first place.

Isaac

Seems I will have to clarify to you: FLOODING the forum, as you did, HAS EVERYTHING to do with a RSS request thread for the forum, since it ALLOWS the forum member to see what is going on the forum, including when some punk is vandalizing our meeting point on the web. Got it? Need a diagram?

BTW, don't call em conspiracy theorist, you weather conspiracy theorist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm 
Banned

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
BTW, don't call em conspiracy theorist, you weather conspiracy theorist...

There goes the conspiracy theorist again, twisting the truth to fit his own perception. I never said that global warming was part of a conspiracy. I said that global warming is the result of hysteria and superstition, not rational thought. But since this doesn't fit your intended perception of me as a deceitful liar, you have to alter it so it does. You attempt to discredit anyone and everyone that presents evidence that doesn't fit the puzzle of the "inside job" that had supposedly been pulled by the United States government in planning 9/11. If anyone posts a debunking of the conspiracy theories that you set forth, you deny them and claim that they are biased, that they are untruthful, blah blah blah blah blah. Whatever you can to ignore reality, right? :roll:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:08 am 

quote] I said that global warming is the result of hysteria and superstition, not rational thought.[/quote]
And you would know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:15 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Is it a difficult thing to implement?

RSS is likely a piece of cake to implement... I wonder how much the ZFT pays for this forum maintenance and monitoring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 am 

I'm programming an RSS myself... see how that goes, then I tell you how easy it is.