Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:39 am 

When will it be released!!!??
just got the mofo 4 disc deluxe set : ) ( but im saving it to listen to on saturday. THE WHOLE DAY!!)
What does MOFO stand for ??

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm 

jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
When will it be released!!!??
just got the mofo 4 disc deluxe set : ) ( but im saving it to listen to on saturday. THE WHOLE DAY!!)
What does MOFO stand for ??

Don't know about Absolutely Free. I do know about the Making Of Freak Out though.

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 pm 

Thanks : ) it was FREAKING me OUT not knowing what it meant..
I havent actually heard this album or any of the tracks on it at all so i must be one of the lucky (or unlucky depending on how you see it ) ones being a virgin to "Freak Out" : ) have only heard "absolutely....were only in...and hot rats"and the song cosmic debris(im 26)..thats about it...wish me luck on saturday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:29 pm 

jimmy "the hindu&q , I'm jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:13 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
jimmy "the hindu&q , I'm jealous.

Same here. Let us know what it's like to hear Freak Out for the first time. It's been so long for lots of us...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:54 pm 

Well what can i say?...Having spended from 18:00 to 00:00 (with a break to watch an episode of "Music Scene")...it was interesting i definitely liked even tough the arrangments werent so "advanced" as the later ones..but ive only listened to it once(but will start again tommorow ; ) some of the song that stand out while i listened were "who are the brain police"..very scary indeed...definitely liked it, i even liked the instrumental version of this song more)..."how could i be such a foul " was great to.(a perfect song to my tragic life : (....."it cant happen here" i wondered how people reacted when they heard this in 66?? probably one of my favorites so far.. and of course "the return...." well.. what can i say he he...very interesting piece of music...i think i have the beginning of that song on a dvd with zappa.(thinks its a black and white promotion for absolutely free?) but this full version was very cool.........The "sound" of the album reminded me of jeffersons "surrealistic pillow" and "buffalo springfield first" the sound was very sixtees...i ejoyed the bonus stuff as well : )i was a bit of when the live concert stopped..but i guess there must be some other concert from this period recorded...indeed a good album but things were about to get weirder after Freak Out ; ) i will try to just listen to the original album ...for awhile and later return to the bonus stuff...did frank take away the edits that was on the original album for the 87 remixes and if so wich ones? would be interesting to know : )..

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:58 pm 

ok have listened to it on my mp3 player aaaaand.....i love the the whole thing : )!!...i think you will always be dissapointed when you expect something to sound as the rest...i think the songs hold up..starting to like"you didnt try to you call me.." im thinking of waiting for the deluxe versions of the albums to listen when they are released , instead of buying and listening to the other versions before hand... am i crazy??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:03 am 

The thing is, they may only do this special edition stuff for 'Freak Out!,' but who can say? With all the backstage snippets and various takes Zappa recorded in order to produce each album (with very few exceptions) there could well be around 60 or so special editions. Though most likely they're just going to give FO the special treatment as it was 'ground-breaking' at the time, something which later FZ recordings, although most are better (IMO), failed to be.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:12 am 

Hindu some of the impressions you described were just like mine. I heard it the first time back in 1995 or 95 after being acquainted with several Zappa classics, so I was kind of disappointed with the arrangements not having all that statistical density and stuff, but still the record had a definitive impact, mainly the cuts you mentioned and also Ain't Got No Heart (always held a special place in my heart since then) and Help Me I am a Rock...

But today this record strikes me for it's production audacity and mainly for the words sung, it was definitively a pioneer record back in 1966 and it is still today. Straight acid and raw social commenting, only hinting at what was about to come later on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:49 am 

Crudblud wrote:
Though most likely they're just going to give FO the special treatment as it was 'ground-breaking' at the time, something which later FZ recordings, although most are better (IMO), failed to be.

IMO ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:31 am 

IMO = In my opinion

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:16 pm 

Thought it was a bit strange that none of the mothers(bandmembers) contributed notes about the making of the album Freak Out ?..anyone know why?.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 pm 

Eliot Ingber did and he has always been the most 'invisible' of original Mothers

on second thought, you're talking about MOFO not the bit in the A'/OS dvd about Freak Out!
right?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:05 pm 

yep MOFO...Elliot Ingber wasnt even on the cover....

Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:22 pm 

He's on the far left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

Quote:
Though most likely they're just going to give FO the special treatment as it was 'ground-breaking' at the time, something which later FZ recordings, although most are better (IMO), failed to be.

If anything, Freak Out was the least groundbreaking. (You know, besides Cruising With Ruben And The Jets).

If you mean "obviously historically significant", yeah you have a point. They'll probably do one for Money, then for Hot Rats, then OSFA...blah blah blah. You get it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:11 am 

suterb wrote:

He's on the far left.

aha...i thought that was ray collins...but who is ray collins on the cover and what happenned to the short one with beard that was on one of the booklet group photos in mofo?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:22 am 

aha...i thought that was ray collins...but who is ray collins on the cover and what happenned to the short one with beard that was on one of the booklet group photos in mofo?

From left to right:

Ingber, FZ, JCB, Collins, Estrada

Seeing Ingber without that massive beard confused me, too.

I dunno who the other guy you're talking about is. Maybe Henry Vestine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:55 am 

FeralCats wrote:
Quote:

If anything, Freak Out was the least groundbreaking. (You know, besides Cruising With Ruben And The Jets).

If you mean "obviously historically significant", yeah you have a point. They'll probably do one for Money, then for Hot Rats, then OSFA...blah blah blah. You get it.

I think you misunderstood slightly. My point is that Freak Out is regarded as being ground-breaking, thus the 'special edition' treatment. However I would've rather seen a special edition Uncle Meat or Hot Rats, albums which I consider much more interesting than Freak Out. Freak Out is a fine album and as you put it 'obviously historically significant' since it was the first Mothers album, but in my opinion there are plenty of other Zappa albums much more deserving of a special edition, if any.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:58 am 

Crudblud wrote:
FeralCats wrote:
Quote:

I think you misunderstood slightly. My point is that Freak Out is regarded as being ground-breaking, thus the 'special edition' treatment. However I would've rather seen a special edition Uncle Meat or Hot Rats, albums which I consider much more interesting than Freak Out. Freak Out is a fine album and as you put it 'obviously historically significant' since it was the first Mothers album, but in my opinion there are plenty of other Zappa albums much more deserving of a special edition, if any.

But hey, lets face it, we could say that about most Zappa albums couldnt we? I want special editions of every Zappa album where possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:45 pm 

I think if they sell a buttload of MOFO boxes, they'll be more likely to re-do the exercise with other releases. If they see a large demand for this stuff, who knows how far they could go with it? We all know the unused material is there, waiting to be unleashed on the masses. But it also costs a lot, and the ZFT is pretty much funding themselves at this point (right? I'm guessing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:48 pm 

Personally I'm fine with the albums as they are, if they release special editions for every Zappa album I wouldn't complain though.

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:26 pm 

Quote:
Rykodisc intends to release each Zappa catalog item within a week
of the 40th anniversary of its original release. The reissue program
will culminate in the 2033 reelase of Zappa's last release The Yellow
Shark. To further pique interest in the rerelease project, Rykodisc
will discontinue the current Zappa catalog by October 2004.

i copied this from one of the old topics : )

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 pm 

Quote:
Rykodisc intends to release each Zappa catalog item within a week
of the 40th anniversary of its original release. The reissue program
will culminate in the 2033 reelase of Zappa's last release The Yellow
Shark. To further pique interest in the rerelease project, Rykodisc
will discontinue the current Zappa catalog by October 2004.

i copied this from one of the old topics : )

Good news if it's true... I still haven't re-bought most of em a second time yet, so maybe I'll hold off on the current stock and wait for the next batch. I'm still sceptical that they'd do a full fledged multidisc set for each one though. Though I guess Elvis Costello and Pavement stretched the reissues of most of their albums out to 2 discs, so it's not unheard of.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:38 pm 

Does anyone of you guys and girls know where i could write and question about this?