Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 pm 

There are a few FZ albums legally available to download on Jiwa, however I dunno if it is possible to buy from every country.

Last edited by Maroual on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:30 am 

I would be all for this if the quality of iTunes downloaded songs didn't suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:42 am 

The songs could be made available via iTunes in lossless m4a format without Apple's proprietary DRM technology. EMI and some independent labels allow Apple to provide their music to consumers this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 am 

Yeah, it would be a great idea. In the unlikely case some kid stumbles over Zappa now, all he/she get is AAFNRAA. Not the best kind of advertisement. But what do I know about selling music in a cottage industry? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 am 

Have you heard about Deezer?

Post subject: Wish List
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:05 am 

I've got to jump in on this one. I was very disappointed when they yanked Frank's stuff from itunes. Let's admit it- we all have favorite stuff/periods of most artists we listen to; even Frank. So when we get setlists of ZPZ shows, and are not familiar w/ a song or two from a certain period, it would be good to be able to just download that one song so as to familiarize ones self w/ that tune to maximize the concertgoing experience. Case in point: While I feel that the whole OSFA time period was one of FZ's best, I'm less enthusiastic about the, lets say FZMTMOP period. So when the last setlist included "What's New In Baltimore", I didn't know what the hell it was, cuz most of what I've heard from that era I didn't particularly like. When I found myself downloading that song for free at my local library I discovered 2 things:
1. I felt a bit guilty taking one of Franks songs w/out paying for it (Hey,
that's just me)
2. What's new in Baltimore is a suprisingly fucking incredible song.

So, ZFT. bring back Franks stuff to itunes so as to increase it's accessibility. That's what it's all about in the end, isn't it?; getting it out there to more and more people. That's what this whole ZPZ/FZ 'Revival' thing is about, isn't it?

Post subject: Re: Wish List
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:05 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
So, ZFT. bring back Franks stuff to itunes so as to increase it's accessibility.

Why do you absolutely need it to be on iTunes?
Have you tried Jiwa or Deezer instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:04 am 

I dunno. Are those file sharing sites, or "pay for" sites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:07 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:

Like I said, I've kinda got a problem w/ taking an artist's work w/out compensating the owners, but I don't want to open up that whole beaten up thing on this thread. It's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 am 
Banned

VirginiaColonoscopyBandit wrote:
Um what's wrong with iTunes?

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes#iTunes_Store

Version 4 of iTunes introduced the iTunes Music Store (later renamed to the iTunes Store) from which iTunes users can buy and download songs for use on a limited number of computers and an unlimited number of iPods. Many songs purchased from the iTunes Store are copy protected with Apple's FairPlay digital rights management (DRM) system.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Digital rights management (DRM) is an umbrella term that refers to access control technologies used by publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital media or devices. It may also refer to restrictions associated with specific instances of digital works or devices.

If you buy songs from iTunes, you will only be able to copy them to an iPod. You can't burn them to a CD. I don't have an iPod. If I'm going to be spending a lot of money to buy some piece-of-shit gizmo anyway, I'd rather spend money to buy the CDs, or purchase MP3s from another service and burn them onto a CD. If Frank's music was to be offered for download, the ZFT would be better off coming up with their own service rather than dealing with Apple.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:55 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
cozylittlefooties wrote:

Like I said, I've kinda got a problem w/ taking an artist's work w/out compensating the owners, but I don't want to open up that whole beaten up thing on this thread. It's just me.

These seem to be legal platforms where you can buy music.

Isaac wrote:
I'd rather spend money to buy the CDs, or purchase MP3s from another service and burn them onto a CD.

Same 4 me, however I always prefer a CD than a lossy codec.
I hope you are talking about burning an ISO9600 CD-R, right? Not using the CD-Audio fomat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:46 pm 

Isaac wrote:
VirginiaColonoscopyBandit wrote:
Um what's wrong with iTunes?

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes#iTunes_Store

Version 4 of iTunes introduced the iTunes Music Store (later renamed to the iTunes Store) from which iTunes users can buy and download songs for use on a limited number of computers and an unlimited number of iPods. Many songs purchased from the iTunes Store are copy protected with Apple's FairPlay digital rights management (DRM) system.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Digital rights management (DRM) is an umbrella term that refers to access control technologies used by publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital media or devices. It may also refer to restrictions associated with specific instances of digital works or devices.

If you buy songs from iTunes, you will only be able to copy them to an iPod. You can't burn them to a CD. I don't have an iPod. If I'm going to be spending a lot of money to buy some piece-of-shit gizmo anyway, I'd rather spend money to buy the CDs, or purchase MP3s from another service and burn them onto a CD. If Frank's music was to be offered for download, the ZFT would be better off coming up with their own service rather than dealing with Apple.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

But
Bill wrote:
The songs could be made available via iTunes in lossless m4a format without Apple's proprietary DRM technology. EMI and some independent labels allow Apple to provide their music to consumers this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:15 am 

Quote:

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

You are wrong. Songs from iTunes can be burned on a CD.
I who have all Zappa on vinyl wants to get them to my computer. I only had time to buy Sleep Dirt.
Get Zappa back to iTunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:34 am 

Isaac wrote:

To iterate a bit further: Not only can you burn Itunes purchased songs to a CD, you can then rip back the songs to regular mp3 format and put them on whatever mp3 player you want. So I use Itunes a lot, but I don't own an Ipod. No problems there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am 

HJ wrote:
Isaac wrote:

To iterate a bit further: Not only can you burn Itunes purchased songs to a CD, you can then rip back the songs to regular mp3 format and put them on whatever mp3 player you want. So I use Itunes a lot, but I don't own an Ipod. No problems there.

Yes and you can reiterate this bit several times using different lossy codecs and various bitrates.
After this you can copy the music on a CrO2 tape through a jack cable and why not store the final result on a DVD Audio.
Still no problems there.

Post subject: Zappa Radio
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 am 

I love the idea, but please!?! 64K? That's just irritating.

Post subject: Re: Zappa Radio
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:20 pm 

AudioJeff wrote:
I love the idea, but please!?! 64K? That's just irritating.

Ok, you are right 64 kbps mp3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3) is a big waste of space.
In order to obtain smaller files, you can use 8 kbps MPEG-2 in mono instead.

As a comparison, the track Baby Snakes (from Ryko RCD 10539) would require:
  • 827 Kb encoded in mp3 @64 kbps stereo
  • 106 Kb in MPEG-2 @8 kbps mono... but it'll look like it is sung by whales :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm 

To iterate a bit further: Not only can you burn Itunes purchased songs to a CD, you can then rip back the songs to regular mp3 format and put them on whatever mp3 player you want. So I use Itunes a lot, but I don't own an Ipod. No problems there.[/quote]

I wouldn't do that. That's where the real quality issues come in. You take a lossy mp3 file and burn it to disc where it becomes a lossless wav file. If you convert that back to mp3 you have an mp3 that's been compressed twice...and it might not sound so pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:24 pm 

ipods are for pussies