Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ZPZ Phase III
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:21 am 

FZ: The audience sits inside of a big piano and they listen to it grow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While we still look forward as to what ZPZ will deliver in the long awaited ZPZ Japan 2008 performances I ponder what new set of selections from Franks multifarious compositions will be on the bill when they return.

Well here goes

Just a brief thought this A.M. on ZPZ Phase III but as always I am sure whatever Dweezil selects for performance will be something to witness with eyes and ears when that time comes.

Theme from "Run Home Slow"
The Duke Of Prunes
Mr. Green Genes
The Gumbo Variations
Holiday In Berlin, Full-Blown
The Little House I Used To Live In
Directly From My Heart To You
Transylvania Boogie
Road Ladies
She Painted Up Her Face
Shove It Right In
Magic Fingers
Crew Slut
The Wet T-Shirt Contest
Toad-O Line
Sy Borg
Packard Goose
Revised Music For Guitar And Low-Budget Orchestra
Spider Of Destiny
Po-Jama People
200 Years Old
Find Her Finer
Wonderful Wino
Cruisin' For Burgers
The Purple Lagoon/Approximate
Theme From The 3rd Movement Of Sinister Footwear
Any Downers?
Conehead
Jumbo Go Away
If Only She Woulda
The Deathless Horsie
Amnerika
Put A Motor In Yourself

And yet some more Conceptual Continuity

In an effort to connect the stomach to the small intestine of my fanatical desires this ZPZ Phase III list I will be including a

Duodenum Addendum

"WE" as in "while we still look forward to" is by no means definitive definition of some Trendy weirdo club seal of approval but more so geared for those who may actually be looking forward to the progression of what ZPZ represents.

In no way do I need anyone's or community appreciation for what is my personal views. If someone has an appreciation for what I have to say fine. If someone does not fine but "we" is just a general term for those who may actually be looking forward to the next set of ZPZ shows in Japan or what ZPZ Phase III will bring.

To think that any Zappa fan is part of Trendy's Weirdo Club is just totally preposterous. Does one actually exists? Well I certainly never sanctioned one nor do I intend to.

"We" is more a general term for those who look forward to ZPZ be it based on my perception of two years of Unexpected Perfection or however any individual observes these ZPZ performances but one thing I have observed is that a very high percentage of ZPZ concert goers have come away extremely optimistic on when they will not only see ZPZ again but what new songs the next ZPZ tour will bring. Yearning for the next round of Multifarious Compositions is fair of what "WE" represents.

If there is anyone out there who needs to over dramatize their "personal appreciation" or "lack of taste there of" for what ZPZ is, now here is they key phrase "based on my commentary" may I suggest they find their own intestinal track and possibly leave their personal talking asshole perception of ZPZ based on my point of view at the door.

--------------------------

One Man One Vote

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 am 

.. also fought ('kay, thought) shortly, "Blimmin' well, and let us speech-up the continental drift."

--mennal japaneezer, in need of a tectonic or tons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:36 am 

Mondstar wrote:
.. also fought ('kay, thought) shortly, "Blimmin' well, and let us speech-up the continental drift."

Damn...that's what I was going to say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:17 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Mondstar wrote:

Damn...that's what I was going to say...

I think I'll need an interpeter to decipher that phrase.
Kind of makes Trendy's post almost normal by comparison..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:44 pm 

yeha, I copied the code for the page and tried to get the deeper meaning right? but now I can't post the bitmap I made of it laughing at my own stupidity. damn, how do I convert bmp to jpg?
I had this whole vision, right?
of like pages and pages and pages turning by in virtual fashion where you see just the edges of the page and then the curl over and over and then with this forum's date and time after the series stops and laying flat; then a magnifier crawls onto the page, coasts across the page and focuses in on 'Blimmin . . .'
with circles and arrows describing the significance of the variable phrase 'speech-up the continental drift', going off in tree- and then flow-chart fashion, with asterisks and appendices in drop-down menus . . .
Coupled with an exhaustive concordance on the possible meanings of mennal and then again in reference to 'japaneezer',with cross-referenced indices to cross pacific trade negotiations etc.

maybe in a hundred years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 pm 

Trendmonger, you have a fine list of songs up there for the ZPZ to play anew. I would love to hear Put A Motor In Yourself or Pojama People or the burntweenysandwich version of Little House or with a couple more people (?) the Revised Music. Yes.
But you know what would make me happiest? Is if they would play a faithful version of Stuff Up The Cracks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm 

tyvm ..

like japan is a more important set wise destination

so far in my mirror it seems YOU almost single handedly have along with yer [deleted] driven almost but all of fz afficianados west of the wall '
thats right .. you heard right .. over dramatizing this and that
west .. we went west u dumbazz

trendo .. ttyl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 am 

Would you please stop saying "WE" always !!! I'm not a member of your weird club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 am 

I poop on the head of ZpZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 am 

although I do think Dweezil does a great job playing the part of the
'Math genius' in the TV show 'Numbers'...I wish he would just opt out
of the show and concentrate solely on his music career...

you're spreading yourself too thin, Dweez!

Music is the Best!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 am 

According to Trendy's sig, "Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights. We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep."

I beg to differ. WE the fans are in control of our choices regarding how we spend our time and money are we not? Unless ZPZ comes up with a fresh line each tour (i.e. new alumni perfomers)to warrant such a high ticket price for their show, I doubt I will fork over that kind of dough.

Last edited by debutante_daisy on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:57 am 

Nice list Trendy, I would like to add another:
Village of the Sun.
G.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 am 

mutronboy wrote:
although I do think Dweezil does a great job playing the part of the 'Math genius' in the TV show 'Numbers'

Shows what an amazing actor he is, eh?

Post subject: Re: ZPZ Phase III
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:19 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
FZ: The audience sits inside of a big piano and they listen to it grow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duodenum Addendum

--------------------------

One Man One Vote
Rat Tomago

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject: Re: ZPZ Phase III
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:51 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
To think that any Zappa fan is part of Trendy's Weirdo Club is just totally preposterous.

Of course it is. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:10 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
although I do think Dweezil does a great job playing the part of the
'Math genius' in the TV show 'Numbers'...I wish he would just opt out
of the show and concentrate solely on his music career...

you're spreading yourself too thin, Dweez!

Music is the Best!

Ha ha

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:11 pm 

debutante_daisy wrote:
According to Trendy's sig, "Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights. We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep."

I beg to differ. WE the fans are in control of our choices regarding how we spend our time and money are we not? Unless ZPZ comes up with a fresh line each tour (i.e. new alumni perfomers)to warrant such a high ticket price for their show, I doubt I will fork over that kind of dough.

Yup vote with your wallet.
It is the most effective way.
Always.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:

Yup vote with your wallet.
It is the most effective way.
Always.

Fans can go see Led Zeppelin, The Who or The Rolling Stones for $500. Eric "I'm God" Clapton and Steve Winwood tickets are $250 face. If anyone was interested or lucky to get em' through ticketbastard they were about $300 with charges. Ticket agents, the ones who always get the majority of tickets may want up to 1,000 for prime seats. Honestly I would not pay more than $100 to see any of these bands or any live entertainment in general but professional entertainment cost money and that is what ZPZ is. They are fairly priced where the promoters place them. With bands that have high demand bar band cover acts do not make that much of an impact on their touring unit sales but with Zappa the interest level is limited so even though the artistic integrity of performance standards is one thing that ZPZ delivers that covers do not how these cover bands affect demand for premium quality touring act like ZPZ is another quotient. In my economic analysis Cover acts do not promote ZPZ Concert sales. They diminish the demand of a professional act while at the same time they do not deliver artistic standards.

Radio has limitation on how many songs by an individual artist can be played consecutively. The same should hold true for Non-Official Cover bands playing someone else's music. They devalue the artists intellectual property.

Just because there are in the ballpark bands performing with alumni at garage band standards for 25 buck fans should not have expectations to see a professional act like ZPZ in a professional setting at bar band prices. ZPZ is priced fairly for what it is regardless of an alumni quotient.

As far as ZPZ

Unexpected perfection regardless of any Alumni Quotient but this fan vote with your wallet mindset seemed to have leaked into how they support the ZFT business because of fans fanatical desires for Alumni and or becoming there own executive publisher. From my memory how many Alumni were in Ensemble Moderne. Can I get a ZERO. It's about the music not the alumni. What musicians are used in the Canon evolved but now as we look at Zappa the composer the music is more important than alumni quotient ejectamenta. Hey alumni are a fun part of the ZPZ show but alumni does not make the music.

The ZFT are going to continue to follow production protocols. While we the fans may very well get specific projects that are top on the list of fanatical interest the fans can not set the production protocols for living on reproductive data.

Don't be no fool, don't be no dope
Common sense is your only hope
When the Fanaskeptasaureous tells you it's time to vote with your wallet
Tell the motherfucker to take a hike.

I don''t know Billy could you be unhappy about something? I am not quite sure. Most are pretty happy with how the project object is moving forward. I am not trying to be some hard ass but many fans seem to be harboring some boycott for ulterior motive/ hidden agenda.

I am not saying what you do but your comment certainly wants me to get some clarification on your stance. My guess would be if support for ZPZ diminishes so will yearly production on projects. Touring helps promote the business. I do expect DZ to spend some time in the near future on other projects but ZPZ is something very special and I for one am delighted regardless if they have Alumni. Now as far as what Alumni could be used there are some obvious choices that would be very interesting as a guest of ZPZ but unfortunately some of these obvious choices of interest have extreme difficulties in how they conduct there day to day life. A human being regardless of his life's accomplishments at one point in life does not guarantee he can perform at the required level at another point ion life. there are many factors that diminish performance. If they as an individual could focus their energies the way the core band does I'd welcome that with open arms but some of these alumni if not already deceased have problems that are outside the realm of just getting old and grey. I just don't think some of these alumni can take care of themselves on a daily basis never mind focusing their energies for what ZPZ requires. The resume does not get you the job. What you can deliver based on job requirements is a very big factor. The amount of focused energy and commitment on a daily basis for ZPZ is quite the task some just don't have what it takes to take care of themselves never mind what ZPZ requires.

ZPZ, Vaulternative & Zappa records is something most are thrilled about. Somehow all these weekly downloads and AUD trading sites get fans itching for something every week. The schedule of new releases and production quality of each and every ZFT business unit have all been top notch. It all takes time to do it right.

What have you done for me lately, for some this seems to be the agenda. Make Zappa's art my way with my alumni quotient variable... what percentage I don't know, be it what some fans expectations are in ZPZ or ZFT releases seems to be on some fanatical cycle shorter than a womans period. It cost time and money for each release. It takes time to get that return on investment. Some may very well not care how much money the ZFT have spent on upgrading UMRK, invest in engineering fro projects or the time and money that goes into ZPZ . To get each business unit to perform at the levels required takes a special type of investment. Leather is two tours old now. The fanaskeptqsaureous need to come up with some new shit. The complaints on how the ZFT are not filling the metaphorical needle wit the proper dose of their personally desired Zappa narcotic just makes no sense whatsoever. Some fans need to cease and desist ignorance. The artist is in control 100% not the fans and some union striking mind set. Frank made his art his way. No one was going to tell him how to run his business or how to make his art. If the fans liked the project fine. He took chances knowing very well certain projects would not have a return on investment.

Do the majority of fans not see how the ZFT are investing in getting a variety of engineering masters involved in new projects. They get paid. The same goes for ZPZ they are a top act. The core lineup is one of the most talented groups of musicians ever assembled to play Zappa music. Their diversity and execution to Zappa standards is unparalleled by any live Zappa touring lineup. They perform in promoter based theaters at normal prices. That type of tour costs money. They are not a bar band playing in some garage in Canarsie or on a lawn with flamingos in New Jersey. They are focused at their objectives and don't have outside influences getting in the way of what they must do on a nightly basis. They don't have the problems of the 1988 band be it personal or substance.

We as fans should remember the market feasibility for new Zappa products and touring is what it is. It's not like they are going to sell Platinum or sell out Madison Square Garden or Stadiums on any given project no matter how crazy the general fan base would be about any given project. There is over 80 projects to enjoy while others are works in progress. ZPZ with our without Alumni icing on the cake is amazing. Hey I like the icing don't get me wrong but the cake and filling has the substance of unparalleled density of any live zappa touring lineup. G-Spot Tornado and Dog-Meat is prime example of how that core band can achieve unexpected perfection with a 0% Alumni quotient. While ZPZ and Vaulternative/Zappa records are different business entities they fit together like a well oiled machine.

What I find important is how Gail as executive producer follows specific standards, regardless of if it's a selection of nuggets for such as the Corsaga's Joe's XMASage release or the Full Show releases such as Zappa Wazoo, Buffalo and FZ:OZ. Just because some fans may not be overjoyed with special nuggets such as Joe's XMASage does not change the production protocols for each project.

It seems if some fans would just be happy if they transfered these to digital format ASAP and sell them as cheap as possible. Fans should take a long hard look at the overall plan and not their immediate desires for specific material.

Juan Valdez suggests to wake up and smell the worlds finest optional entertainment.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 am 

just plain doug wrote:
mutronboy wrote:
although I do think Dweezil does a great job playing the part of the 'Math genius' in the TV show 'Numbers'

Shows what an amazing actor he is, eh?

Actually the guy who plays the math genius (David Krumholz) shares his birthday with Ahmet.
And I'd sure like to see him next to DZ.(wipes drool of chin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 am 

iyiyiy Trendy.
It is my guess that if Frank was alive today and still playing rock 'n roll,
the tickets would be CHEAPER than what Dweezil is charging.
Fuckin' asswipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 am 

brainpang wrote:
iyiyiy Trendy.
Fuckin' asswipe.

Since he's talking in plural always, you've to say fuckin' asswipes in order to be sure he'll understand what you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:03 am 

brainpang wrote:
iyiyiy Trendy.
Fuckin' asswipe.

And by what means do you come to this conclusion. You are either delusional or looking at too many bar band prices to see a show. I have done comparisons to many touring acts that are out there today in the same type of venues organized by the same promoters and ZPZ is quite fair in concert pricing.

Look at what Frank Zappa tickets cost at the time of each tour in his career as compared to other touring acts at that same time in the same type of venues the promoter had him lined up for at that time. As I said some top acts are getting $250 to $500 a ticket but 50 to 100 is the norm.

Frankie Vallie & The Four Season is playing The Northfork Theater in Westbury long Island. This show is 61.50 to $71.50 before services charges. The Zappa Plays Zappa show there this past August was less money and they played for 3 hours.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004 ... norcatid=1

$

It's not that I am happy to pay 40 to 100 dollars for a concert but minimally that is what a show costs these days no matter what the act is at the venues here where I live. The Northfork Theater is a bit less than NYC at a MSG venue.

Here is a sampling of some ZPZ shows.

Cheverolet Theater Oct 29, 2006
Center Row L $48
Count Basie Theater Aug 5, 2007
Center Row L $58
North Fork Theater August, 6, 2007
Section A Row O $55
Beacon Theater Oct, 31 2007
Section B Row D $100 Premium Pre-Sale Ticket
MSG Owned Theater Holiday Show most tickets were $50 to $85
UPAC Kingston Nov, 2 2007
Absolutely Dead Center of the Center Section Row W $38

Look at what a ZPZ show costs in comparison to all other acts that play in the same type of venue. Look at the payroll of a large ZPZ band in comparison to a 3 band group like Rush or the Police and see what those bands got for tickets..In addition ZPZ gives a 3 your show. For any fan to feel cheated at the cost of a ZPZ show is really in need of a reality check on the cost of live entertainment.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 am 

Some of them majorities essentially do achieve that an atom rather would run away than ...didya known that scientists (hallo, sci & it is) calcoolater a 15-20 percen' chance that atmosfeerow WEnt poof µ@, lol, ....cannot be bowwered ... sand all over.

me is having ey? ... coffee full of duneski.

McA-real, help. Land under wat?

question? quote m@ wikeeh, i'd s#pose............................., btwhy, www.deliciousagony.com has made a year or 2 1/2 of 25 ...quite, BBC-6 bed4breakfest..........goa4c esquids grinin over all four cheeks, chic, innit?..........

da diddies, l8er MEFrrrrIENDS

sleep, not imp. - nuffn to remember.-esque-whyer

o-ha, Explores Club, withy Bozz/drumkidd and the complet' set of muzzisals -explain that; not WEALLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:40 pm 

The way I see it Barry is quite simple I am an Electrician by trade and i charge in the region of £25 ($50) an hour so if i go and see a band and they are there for 3 hours then $150 would be ok with me cos i think that i would not stand up there for less than that, I know it only works on a personal scale but thats the way i see it. Zeppelin wanted $250 dollars for their gig at the O2 so there was no way i would have paid that sort of cash even if it was the biggest reunion for the last 20 years.

MYXY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:57 pm 

mr_myxyltpyx wrote:
The way I see it Barry is quite simple I am an Electrician by trade and i charge in the region of £25 ($50) an hour so if i go and see a band and they are there for 3 hours then $150 would be ok with me cos i think that i would not stand up there for less than that, I know it only works on a personal scale but thats the way i see it. Zeppelin wanted $250 dollars for their gig at the O2 so there was no way i would have paid that sort of cash even if it was the biggest reunion for the last 20 years.

MYXY

And those are the original bands, never forget, not a genetic tribute band with a sprinkling of alumi. :lol: