Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:21 am 

jimmyzen wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
As far as ZPZ is concerned, I believe they are quite capable of delivering a quality representation of this music on their own, but I get excited to here about alumni sitting in. There are plenty still around who can comfortably hang so-to-speak. Vinnie Coliautta, Mike Keneally, Bobby Martin, George Duke, Tommy Mars, Eddie Jobson (is he still around?), Jean Luc Ponty, Ed Mann, Nappy and Ike immediately come to mind though I'm sure many other can as well.

With or without alumni, I'll still support the cause for new music. I can't see shooting myself in the foot by boycotting releases like Buffalo, Wazoo, Trance Fusion, MOFO (both) or even the Dub Room soundtrack.

If Return To Forever are indeed touring this year, I'll be there (sans scheduling conficts as has been the case lately). If nothing else, I'll buy the CD/DVD.

RTF!!!!! Yes yes yes! Romantic Warrior! Let's see- Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Chick Corea, yes? If there was a band i could go back in time to see I wish I could have seen Weather Report back in the day. That's one reunion that could never be w/o Pastorios. Those were the days when fusion was the best!!!!! Ever see the weather report box CD/DVD set? Very tasty!!

Yep, DiMeola, Clarke, Corea and White are the masters behind RTF.They were/ and still are the shit. I've been meaning to pick up that Weather Report CD/DVD set.

As a teenager growing up in the '80s, and surrounded by a peer group who were into Ozzy, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Dio, Iron Maiden and Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil era) among many of the other hairdo metal bands of the time, my friends thought I was nuts for getting into RTF, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, McLaughlin, DiMeola, Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jeff Beck (pre Flash era), various other Fusion/Prog/blues artists/groups and not to menton Zappa. 20 years later, my friends finally get it and ironically I'm now listening to more of the '80s metal/headbanger stuff. I just was'nt into it while it was current and fashionable.

Post subject: Re: ZPZ Phase III
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 pm 

Has anyone been pondering any lists? Some of the replies to the topic here have shows some interesting selections but I must admit Zappa radio has recently sparked my interest. But when all else fails I'll just go get myself a Green Rosetta,

"And we've flown in, at great expense, (triple scale, no less, ladies and gentlemen), Steve Gadd's clone to play the out-chorus"

"O.K Vinnie Vinnie take Eight.
Workout Warren.....
and this is a hard one to play
"

Trendmonger wrote:
Theme from "Run Home Slow"
The Duke Of Prunes
Mr. Green Genes
The Gumbo Variations
Holiday In Berlin, Full-Blown
The Little House I Used To Live In
Directly From My Heart To You
Transylvania Boogie
Road Ladies
She Painted Up Her Face
Shove It Right In
Magic Fingers
Crew Slut
The Wet T-Shirt Contest
Toad-O Line
Sy Borg
Packard Goose
Revised Music For Guitar And Low-Budget Orchestra
Spider Of Destiny
Po-Jama People
200 Years Old
Find Her Finer
Wonderful Wino
Cruisin' For Burgers
The Purple Lagoon/Approximate
Theme From The 3rd Movement Of Sinister Footwear
Any Downers?
Conehead
Jumbo Go Away
If Only She Woulda
The Deathless Horsie
Amnerika
Put A Motor In Yourself
One Man One Vote

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 am 

In about 3 weeks time the ZPZ band will start off the new tour at Prince's old stomping ground "First Avenue". It would be nice to hear Prince appear as a guest for Road Ladies but that's pure fanatical speculation. Since this is the traditional time for rehearsals maybe those that actually give a fuck could input a little speculation and what they would like to hear...........

Watermelon In Easter Hay

Trendmonger wrote:
FZ: The audience sits inside of a big piano and they listen to it grow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While we still look forward as to what ZPZ will deliver in the long awaited ZPZ Japan 2008 performances I ponder what new set of selections from Franks multifarious compositions will be on the bill when they return.

Well here goes

Just a brief thought this A.M. on ZPZ Phase III but as always I am sure whatever Dweezil selects for performance will be something to witness with eyes and ears when that time comes.

Theme from "Run Home Slow"
The Duke Of Prunes
Mr. Green Genes
The Gumbo Variations
Transylvania Boogie
Road Ladies
She Painted Up Her Face
Shove It Right In
Magic Fingers
Crew Slut
The Wet T-Shirt Contest
Toad-O Line
Sy Borg
Packard Goose
Spider Of Destiny
Po-Jama People
200 Years Old
Find Her Finer
Wonderful Wino
Cruisin' For Burgers
Any Downers?
Conehead
Jumbo Go Away
If Only She Woulda
The Deathless Horsie
Amnerika
Put A Motor In Yourself

And yet some more Conceptual Continuity

In an effort to connect the stomach to the small intestine of my fanatical desires this ZPZ Phase III list I will be including a

Duodenum Addendum

"WE" as in "while we still look forward to" is by no means definitive definition of some Trendy weirdo club seal of approval but more so geared for those who may actually be looking forward to the progression of what ZPZ represents.

In no way do I need anyone's or community appreciation for what is my personal views. If someone has an appreciation for what I have to say fine. If someone does not fine but "we" is just a general term for those who may actually be looking forward to the next set of ZPZ shows in Japan or what ZPZ Phase III will bring.

To think that any Zappa fan is part of Trendy's Weirdo Club is just totally preposterous. Does one actually exists? Well I certainly never sanctioned one nor do I intend to.

"We" is more a general term for those who look forward to ZPZ be it based on my perception of two years of Unexpected Perfection or however any individual observes these ZPZ performances but one thing I have observed is that a very high percentage of ZPZ concert goers have come away extremely optimistic on when they will not only see ZPZ again but what new songs the next ZPZ tour will bring. Yearning for the next round of Multifarious Compositions is fair of what "WE" represents.

If there is anyone out there who needs to over dramatize their "personal appreciation" or "lack of taste there of" for what ZPZ is, now here is they key phrase "based on my commentary" may I suggest they find their own intestinal track and possibly leave their personal talking asshole perception of ZPZ based on my point of view at the door.

--------------------------

One Man One Vote

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:13 am 

Trendmonger wrote:

Packard Goose
Po-Jama People
Cruisin' For Burgers
If Only She Woulda
The Deathless Horsie
Amnerika
Put A Motor In Yourself
One Man One Vote

I would absolutely love to see any of these played by ZPZ.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:25 am 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Transylvania Boogie
Packard Goose
Po-Jama People
Cruisin' For Burgers
If Only She Woulda
The Deathless Horsie
Amnerika
Put A Motor In Yourself
One Man One Vote

I would absolutely love to see any of these played by ZPZ.

yep, me too!
and Duke of Prunes, Stuff Up The Cracks, The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution, Moggio, Luigi and the Wise Guys or Man From Utopia/Mary Lou;

I got to hear Magic Fingers last year I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:29 am 

The changes as always are one of the surprises to look forward to. While it does look based on DZs commentary that some fan favorites of the last two tours will make a return I will also have my eyes and ears are open to FZs instruments and or electronics that will be as Dweezil says "reporting for duty".

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981