Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm 

Hey all, brand new Zappa fan and poster here, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked and answered a million times.

Sometime in the way early '80s, one of my friends taped "Titties & Beer" off the radio when Dr. Demento played it on his radio show and they used a bunch of weird sound effects to edit out the bad words. I was all of 10 or 11 years old at the time (I'm 37 now) so needless to say, I dug the hell out of it. Does anyone know if this version is available for download anywhere or if it's on any of Zappa's CDs/records?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:19 pm 

Zappa in New York, c. 1976

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Zappa in New York, c. 1976

I think he wants the censored version, sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm 

oops.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:36 am 

Jakeobs wrote:
Hey all, brand new Zappa fan and poster here, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked and answered a million times.

Sometime in the way early '80s, one of my friends taped "Titties & Beer" off the radio when Dr. Demento played it on his radio show and they used a bunch of weird sound effects to edit out the bad words. I was all of 10 or 11 years old at the time (I'm 37 now) so needless to say, I dug the hell out of it. Does anyone know if this version is available for download anywhere or if it's on any of Zappa's CDs/records?

Naturally we were easy on him

maybee this will help/you can make a request

http://www.drdemento.com/

The Dr. Demento Show (live on KMET) - October 20, 1985 (9p-11p)

Special Topic: 15th anniversary
Anniversary Song - Barnes & Barnes w/ "Weird Al" Yankovic
Pico And Sepulveda (excerpt) - Felix Figueroa
Dr. Demento talks on KPPC
Dr. Demento show open from KMET, 1972
How's Your Bird (excerpt) - Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa interview
Sugar Blues (excerpt) - Clyde McCoy
March Of The Cuckoos - Roto Rooter Good Time Christmas Band
Boobs A Lot - The Holy Modal Rounders
Pico And Sepulveda - Jon Schwartz Brass Band
Doodles Weaver interview
William Tell Overture (excerpt) - Spike Jones

[?] Shaving Cream - Benny Bell
The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati - Rose & The Arrangement
Captain Chaos & Jungle Judy Take Over (KMET February 2, 1975)
Hooray For Captain Spaulding - Groucho Marx

Bette Midler interview
Larry Groce interview
Junk Food Junkie (live in studio from syndicated show #91, 1976) - Larry Groce
Waffle Whiffer - Brad Stanfield
Tom Waits interview
Locked In The Closet With You - SuLu
[?] Jethro Burns interview
"Beepies" And Beer - Frank Zappa
Dr. D At Magic Mountain And L.A. County Fair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:26 am 

Thank you, friendly counselor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 pm 

Which album has Frank doing the "let go of your pickle" bit (or was that only on the Dr. Demento Show edit)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:46 pm 

Jakeobs wrote:
Which album has Frank doing the "let go of your pickle" bit (or was that only on the Dr. Demento Show edit)?

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.facebook.com/lbruister
http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:06 am 

Also, I found this interview

http://users.aol.com/biffyshrew/fziv.html

It is long to print

a part of the interview:

DD: Well, the other day we did the history of laughing records here on the Doctor Demento show; that one can certainly go in the "sobbing" hall of fame.

FZ: Well, actually, that one--that should go into the hall of fame with "Death Of An Angel." You remember that one?

DD: Oh yes, sure do.

FZ: For those of you who do remember "Death Of An Angel," you might remember that a lot of people committed suicide to that record. Do you remember that?

DD: [skeptically] Yeah, at least that was the story.

FZ: Yeah, people were killing themselves all over the place.

DD: Tell me how you got to know that kind of music, Frank.

FZ: I just heard it someplace, and I liked it, and I went out and found as many examples of it as I could.

DD: Did you hear it on the radio?

FZ: Uh...they didn't play very much of it on the radio then.

DD: Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

FZ: I heard--I think one or two cuts escaped to white-person radio in those days, see...I believe that there are a few stations in the United States right now that still have this tendency to not play black music. They play, you know, white-person music. And this one station in Los Angeles, which was a very white-person kind of a station, actually allowed some black-person music to get on there one time, and I heard it, and it was all over. I went out and started looking for those kind of records, and...

DD: Where did you find them?

FZ: Well, you know, they had these white-person record stores that wouldn't carry these black-person records, and so it was not easy to find them, so I had to go to places like jukebox dumps. There was this place in San Diego that was located in the Maryland Hotel that was a place that sold used jukebox records and you could get great things for 10 cents apiece down there. And some of the real good rhythm and blues--you know, like guitar/harmonica-type rhythm and blues records--were on a label called Excello, and they had a policy that stated that if you had a record store and you wanted to carry Excello records, you couldn't just get the blues cuts, you had to take their gospel catalog. So that kept a lot of stores from carrying the entire line. And so if you wanted to get a Lightnin' Slim record, or a Slim Harpo record, or Lonesome Sundown or something like that, you had to really go out and scrounge around for it.

DD: Well, growing up in Minneapolis as I did, I know that scrounging. And I know the jukebox dumps, too. We have a blues record here, it looks like.

FZ: Yeah. This is of fairly recent vintage. This isn't from the '50s; I believe this is from the '60s. I don't know the exact date that it was released, but it's on a label called The Blues, and the artist is Big Moose, and the featured Hawaiian guitar player on this record is Freddie Roulette, and the name of the song is "Ramblin' Woman."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:18 am 

And here I though man from utopia had something to do with

BOB SEGAR!!!!

or am I on to something.

http://vocalienvoices.blogspot.com/2005 ... ified.html

thursday, march 24, 2005

Secret Saucer Symphonies: Unidentified Flying Discs

(The girlfriend of Donald Woods departs earth)

The myriad conspiracy theories of suppressed information regarding an alleged 1947 flying saucer crash in Roswell, New Mexico are common knowledge. But how many intrepid ufologists are aware of the alien abduction rumors surrounding an obscure, dirge-like rock 'n roll record in mid-1950s Los Angeles?

Music producer Max Feirtag had only earthlings on his mind when he founded California-based Flip Records in 1955. Releasing an impressive 10-year string of 45 RPM discs, Feirtag's roster included the oddly anachronistic Death Of An Angel. Performed by R&B artists Donald Woods & The Vel-Aires, Death Of An Angel dealt with the demise of a teenage girl. Recorded as a droning, funereal lamentation (with melodramatic weeping and the lead vocalist's expressed desire to join his consort: "I want to be beside her, but I'm afraid to die"), the song was considered controversial because of its end-of-life/would-be-suicide theme. Deemed unsuitable for commerical airplay in the hackneyed halcyon of Father Knows Best mid-'50s sentiments, the record was pulled from radio station playlists.

DEATH OF AN ANGEL

My baby's gone
And left me left me all alone
My baby's gone
And she left me all alone
So alone, I want my baby home

I still remember
The day she went away
That was the day
My angel me left me to stay
Oh, no, no, I want my baby home

I know that she is gone
Ooh-ooh-ooh?
[weeping]

That was a death
Of an angel, don't know
Why, oh, why
I want to be beside her
But I'm afraid to die
Oh, oh, oh I want my baby back home
I want my baby home
I know that she is gone
But still I want her home

Don't leave me

[weeping to FADE]

As if the banishment of Death Of An Angel from the airwaves was not enough of a blow to the record's commerical prospects, the song became an all-pervasive pariah when the Flip disc was flipped over. The B-side was a tune with the seemingly existential title of The Man From Utopia. In actuality the song was a tongue-in-cheek nod to a service employee at Utopia Cleaners on 97th Street in the Watts District of Los Angeles. A rumor evolved that The Man From Utopia was about a space alien who had kidnapped and murdered the girlfriend from Death Of An Angel. Listeners backed their claim with the "evidence" that the name of the girlfriend had been revealed in the lyrics "Mary Lou, big fool" in The Man From Utopia. Further it was asserted that the alien assault theory derived from Death Of An Angel was based on a true event.

Despite the late 1955 re-release of Death Of An Angel on the Tiger Era label (Tiger Era #5065), complete with disclaimers regarding an alien abducition theme, the song had been dealt a mortal blow. A plethora of science fiction films, such as Invaders From Mars, It Came From Outer Space, Target Earth, and The Man From Planet X, which had melded synonymously with the political paranoia of McCarthyist madness, reinforced listeners' pulp fiction rumor mill. Death Of An Angel vanished into the dusty, back-shelf realm of junk shops. Subsequent releases by Donald Woods & The Vel-Aires, with titles such as Stay With Me (Flip #309), and Heaven In My Arms (Flip #312), served only to further the belief that Death Of An Angel was a tale of murder and marauding Martians.

Londis Carpenter, an amateur entomologist from Cass County, Michigan, posted an internet article on June 6, 2004, in which he states that he is certain that he remembers hearing two very different reasons why Death Of An Angel was pulled from the airwaves back in the 1950s. "The story I remember hearing is that this song was about a girl who was killed in an airplane crash. The airplane had allegedly collided with a UFO, causing both air vehicles to crash. It was rumored that the Catholic Church had succeeded in having the song banned because the church insisted that angels couldn’t die, making the song blasphemous."

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... 4039_11039