Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2575
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Image
I'm ready........... :wink:



Image
mmmmm..... cheesecake.

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: scratch 'n sniff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
espanglish wrote:
...They still play just fine, no pops, no sound
of the needle (or STYLUS if you prefer) dragging in the jagged little trough.

I really do miss the large album art, though. :cry:


cd's won't last forever, cd players will be obsolete before record players go away; a nice clean set of vinyl can be copied once per decade to the latest bit of playback technology that comes & goes... those om 1,2 & 3 boxes will be 200 years old, only played 20 times, still sounding 'mint' in the year 2208; a little scratch 'n sniff isn't necessarily a bad thing




gc wrote:
The application Retroplayer goes even further to replicate aspects of previous music experiences, even adding in the distortion, surface noise and jumps of the vinyl medium! Whilst this seems somewhat bizarre - actually building the negative aspects back in - it does indicate a real tension here; that some are trying to recapture an element of context, physicality, experience in playback

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 am
Posts: 1026
Location: The place where they keep the imaginary diseases
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
record-destroying Vinyl Cutter of the '80s

Does anyone know what is this??

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 am
Posts: 1026
Location: The place where they keep the imaginary diseases
anyone?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 am
Posts: 1026
Location: The place where they keep the imaginary diseases
Here's My Zappa Vinyl! I can't wait to find the rest!
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
secret word for tonite: verticality

Image

from right;
complete works v1 [varese, 1950], freak out, absolutely free, woiiftm, lumpy gravy, ruben, mothermania, moi, worst of mothers, uncle meat,
hot rats[x2], 2 originals[bws+wrmf], bws, weasels, chunga's, fillmore e, 200 motels, jabfla, waka, wazoo, over-nite, ['], roxy , osfa, bongo fury,
wax flags, zoot, zappa in ny, leatherette, studio tan[x2], sleep dirt[x2], sheik, orch favs, joe's g sampler, joe's g 1, joe's g 2&3, tinsel town,
sunpyg sampler, sunpyg, sunpyg some more, rotso sunpyg, sunpyg box, yawyi, drowning witch, man from utopia sampler, mfu, bbsnx, lso 1&2,
boulez/stranger, them or us, t-f, francesco, om1, mop[us&euro], om2, jazz from hell, mystery disc 1&2, guitar, ycdtosa sampler, guitar hernia, rare meat

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3448
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
niiiiiiiiiice....... :shock: :D

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 am
Posts: 1026
Location: The place where they keep the imaginary diseases
Yes, very nice! The only ones that I really want that I don't have are Grand Wazoo and Freak Out! ... and maybe Ruben.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I dunno
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:43 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Maine
Here's a product for you - The ELP Laser Turntable!
This technological marvel plays vinyl records with master tape sound quality and no wear. The Laser Turntable is perfect for record collectors, archivists and vinyl enthusiasts alike.
http://www.elpj.com/purchase/index.htmlImage[/quote]

That would be great, except for the fact that the cheapest model is $10,000. But if it were a tiny fraction of the price I'd be all over it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5228
Location: Rhineland
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
secret word for tonite: verticality

Image

from right;
complete works v1 [varese, 1950], freak out, absolutely free, woiiftm, lumpy gravy, ruben, mothermania, moi, worst of mothers, uncle meat,
hot rats[x2], 2 originals[bws+wrmf], bws, weasels, chunga's, fillmore e, 200 motels, jabfla, waka, wazoo, over-nite, ['], roxy , osfa, bongo fury,
wax flags, zoot, zappa in ny, leatherette, studio tan[x2], sleep dirt[x2], sheik, orch favs, joe's g sampler, joe's g 1, joe's g 2&3, tinsel town,
sunpyg sampler, sunpyg, sunpyg some more, rotso sunpyg, sunpyg box, yawyi, drowning witch, man from utopia sampler, mfu, bbsnx, lso 1&2,
boulez/stranger, them or us, t-f, francesco, om1, mop[us&euro], om2, jazz from hell, mystery disc 1&2, guitar, ycdtosa sampler, guitar hernia, rare meat


Great ! Í wished I would have the YCDTOSA Vol. 2 box. Image

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18909
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
You want some more?
Well here's some more.

"official" Zappa Vinyl.

Image

Image("Beat the Boots vol2" is on CD. I just hate to break up the pair.)

Zappa on other albums.

Image

"unofficial" vinyl.

Image Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5228
Location: Rhineland
Wow !!! Great collection, Doug !

This is my tiny European teenager FZ vinyl collection:

Image

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18909
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Wow !!! Great collection, Doug !

This is my tiny European teenager FZ vinyl collection:

Man, it strikes me as strange, to see other record collections, and they look like mine!! :mrgreen:
Not used to that, at all.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5228
Location: Rhineland
just plain doug wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Wow !!! Great collection, Doug !

This is my tiny European teenager FZ vinyl collection:

Man, it strikes me as strange, to see other record collections, and they look like mine!! :mrgreen:
Not used to that, at all.


Doug, your collection is awesome. One question: The black box on the left at the 4th looks like The History And Collected Improvisations Of The Mothers Of Invention. Am I right ? Once I owned this one as well. But I was young and needed the money, so I sold it.

You got some nice other boxes. Great !

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18909
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Doug, your collection is awesome. One question: The black box on the left at the 4th looks like The History And Collected Improvisations Of The Mothers Of Invention. Am I right ? Once I owned this one as well. But I was young and needed the money, so I sold it.

You got some nice other boxes. Great !

Bingo! Booklet, and all. 8)
I sold my Zappa collection, back in 1975....three years later, bought them all back again. Learned my lesson. :wink:

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5228
Location: Rhineland
just plain doug wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Doug, your collection is awesome. One question: The black box on the left at the 4th looks like The History And Collected Improvisations Of The Mothers Of Invention. Am I right ? Once I owned this one as well. But I was young and needed the money, so I sold it.

You got some nice other boxes. Great !

Bingo! Booklet, and all. 8)
I sold my Zappa collection, back in 1975....three years later, bought them all back again. Learned my lesson. :wink:


Sigh ! Darn. Once I paid 300 deutschmarks for it. How could I be such a fool ?

What's in the Mystery Box ?

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18909
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Sigh ! Darn. Once I paid 300 deutschmarks for it. How could I be such a fool ?

What's in the Mystery Box ?


Too big to scan in one piece, so I cut the box set in two, to fit into my scanner.

Image
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
very nice fritz & doug, & all in perfect chronological order ... except, why left->right, my lps/cds/mags have always gone right->left

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18909
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
very nice fritz & doug, & all in perfect chronological order ... except, why left->right, my lps/cds/mags have always gone right->left

Are you a south paw?

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 516
A few pics from my collection, no bootlegs i don't want them
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
Sometimes it seems like there isn't enough time in the day to not do all the things that need not doing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Michigan
Squirt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
zurkon_wax, primo collection of vinyl you got there, plenty of doubles & they all look mint

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this vinyl thing is just an opinion. My main interest is in the music itself. To me, the ultimate playback device is one that enables you to hear the music as though it wasn't being played back. But even that is riddled with paradoxes.

A studio album is layered and would never be heard if it wasn't for recording and playback devices, so what is it meant to sound like, but none the less, I'm sure FZ wasn't producing studio pieces to be heard with the crackle and pop and even insisted with his later stuff that you listen to it with no added EQ.

A live album largely depends on how it's recorded, for instance the six channel mix FZ used for the Yellow Shark performances. If you hear an ensemble playing live, is the sound being interfered with by using microphones mixed and then piped through a PA or is that enabling you to get a better sense of the detail? As a composer, anything that interferes with what I'm hearing through that PA, given that the mix is just right on the night, is a problem.

I've just scratched the surface here, but one thing is for sure, I have never liked vinyl (I'm purely talking about the sonic aspects here) even when that was the only option available. The arrival of digital was an occasion to celebrate.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm
Posts: 1262
Location: new.. perfect... AMERICA
Zurkon Wax-

INCREDIBLE collection there. My purely-purely-digital-far-from-mint-next-to-complete heart is a-trembling. I deeply covet your three sets of BTB2 and will happily trade you my left arm for one. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 516
zomby truth wrote:
Zurkon Wax-

INCREDIBLE collection there. My purely-purely-digital-far-from-mint-next-to-complete heart is a-trembling. I deeply covet your three sets of BTB2 and will happily trade you my left arm for one. :wink:


The BTB are not all vinyl, only two of them the other three are cd and cassette.

_________________
Sometimes it seems like there isn't enough time in the day to not do all the things that need not doing


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group