Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Beefheart?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:12 am 

Is their any possibility of the Zappa vault releasing any new Zappa/Beefheart collaborations? I read something in MOJO about a song called Would You Like a Pepsi. It would be great if the ZFT could release this along with any other possible collaborations just sitting in the vault that we never heard of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:41 am 

It was released, under its reborn title of The Torture Never Stops on one of the You Can't Do That...series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 am 

oh, that's the song huh, thanks

There has to be more examples of Beefheart's vocals from that tour that haven't been released yet though.

Post subject: re: New Beefheart?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 am 

In "The Real Frank Zappa Book", Frank talks about recording some early sessions for Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" in his house, with the different players in different rooms. Vliet didn't like the idea and accused him of recording "on the cheap" so they moved the sessions to a real studio. However FZ said these early sessions sounded pretty good.

Does anyone know if these were released, either on the "Grow Fins" boxed set, or any other place?

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: re: New Beefheart?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:05 am 

appleo wrote:
In "The Real Frank Zappa Book", Frank talks about recording some early sessions for Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" in his house, with the different players in different rooms. Vliet didn't like the idea and accused him of recording "on the cheap" so they moved the sessions to a real studio. However FZ said these early sessions sounded pretty good.

Does anyone know if these were released, either on the "Grow Fins" boxed set, or any other place?

Thanks...

Yes, on the Grow Fins box.
Also of note, Sundazed just released a CB vinyl. Unfortunately, all but about 3 minutes has been previously released. Cal Schenkel did a little bit of art for the sleeve.
http://www.sundazed.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=967

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:30 am 

brainpang wrote:
appleo wrote:

Thanks...

Also of note, Sundazed just released a CB vinyl. Unfortunately, all but about 3 minutes has been previously released. Cal Schenkel did a little bit of art for the sleeve.

I always thought those sessions on the Grow Fins box was just a rehearsal at the band's house, and not Frank's original sessions. Are they one and the same?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
brainpang wrote:
appleo wrote:

Thanks...

I always thought those sessions on the Grow Fins box was just a rehearsal at the band's house, and not Frank's original sessions. Are they one and the same?

yes, I believe so. that's as far as it went when Don called foul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:51 am 

Sundazed also just put out It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper, the Captain's original version of what would later become the Strictly Personal album. If I still had a record player I'd get it, though I made my own version with the bonus tracks on the Buddah Records reissues of Strictly and Safe As Milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:50 pm 

Dark Horse 77 wrote:
Sundazed also just put out It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper, the Captain's original version of what would later become the Strictly Personal album. If I still had a record player I'd get it, though I made my own version with the bonus tracks on the Buddah Records reissues of Strictly and Safe As Milk.

That release is a ripoff. Can't believe Cal Schenkel & Drumbo got involved with it. It caught my eye at first too, but then I read the details.

If you have the Buddha CDs of Safe As Milk & Mirror Man Sessions, then it's totally unnecessary unless you have to have everything on vinyl. That's what's on it is the bonus tracks from those Buddha reissue CDs.

Only thing different is an unreleased take of Moody Liz. Plus what they put on it isn't even what Beefheart intended for that aborted release. It was supposed to be the "live" studio tracks (1-3) on Mirror Man Sessions + the unedited tracks on Strictly Personal.

The next Beefheart CD I'll get excited for is if and when the ZFT finally releases the proper Bat Chain Puller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 am 

Good info, Fred. I never really checked the details on the Sundazed album, I won't be getting it since I have all the tracks already. The original Bat Chain Puller would be a great ZFT release, I'm sure all of us would get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 am 

I would lika ZFT release portuguese lunar landing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:20 am 

Soracha wrote:
I would lika ZFT release portuguese lunar landing

Are you referring to the original "Bat Chain Puller" sessions? Denny Wally once stated that Gail was gonna release that. However, at the rate their going, it probably won't be in my lifetime. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:58 am 

Are there any unreleased songs from the Bongo Fury tour? They would make good bonus tracks for the Bat Chain Puller album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:35 pm 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 am 

piperian396 wrote:
Are there any unreleased songs from the Bongo Fury tour? They would make good bonus tracks for the Bat Chain Puller album.

Bad idea. Why tack totally unrelated live material by a different band (let alone led by another artist) onto a 'lost' studio album?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:47 am 

brainpang wrote:
piperian396 wrote:

Bad idea. Why tack totally unrelated live material by a different band (let alone led by another artist) onto a 'lost' studio album?

I guess, but I'd still like to see the stuff released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm 

piperian396 wrote:
brainpang wrote:
piperian396 wrote:

I guess, but I'd still like to see the stuff released.

I really love Bongo Fury. My wish is for a 4 cd MOFO type release of Bongo. Original album/complete concert/interviews/etc.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Dark Horse 77 wrote:

That release is a ripoff. Can't believe Cal Schenkel & Drumbo got involved with it. It caught my eye at first too, but then I read the details.

If you have the Buddha CDs of Safe As Milk & Mirror Man Sessions, then it's totally unnecessary unless you have to have everything on vinyl. That's what's on it is the bonus tracks from those Buddha reissue CDs.

Only thing different is an unreleased take of Moody Liz. Plus what they put on it isn't even what Beefheart intended for that aborted release. It was supposed to be the "live" studio tracks (1-3) on Mirror Man Sessions + the unedited tracks on Strictly Personal.

The next Beefheart CD I'll get excited for is if and when the ZFT finally releases the proper Bat Chain Puller.

Well, here's how I got involved with it, It's pretty simple really. I got a call from Sundazed and they commisioned me to do the art for a sleeve for this album. Of course I was concerned that it would be a legitimate release and when I saw John French was involved and I saw the quality of the Sundazed releases I was satisfied. Now I love Captain Beefheart and his music but I'm certainly not enough of an expert to know what's been released and what hasn't or what kind of value this release would add to his catalog. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the package design that the sleeve was wrapped around, I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill. And even more so when they made a big deal about promoting my involvement, I thought that was pretty cheesy and I felt used. I was really pissed though when they took a great color design for a t-shirt and printed it in black & white on a white t-shirt. You know this is often a problem how to distinguish between doing something of value and being used, especially when you really don't know as much as people might think after the project is released. Not many artists are in a position to be too picky about turning down work. I don't know about Drumbo, but I suppose he has to eat too.

--Calvin

Post subject: Re: New Beefheart?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:27 pm 

cal schenkel wrote:
Well, here's how I got involved with it, It's pretty simple really. I got a call from Sundazed and they commisioned me to do the art for a sleeve for this album.

Is there art under the "Plain Brown Wrapper"? Or is the wrapper the commissioned art?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm 

jabba wrote:
cal schenkel wrote:
Well, here's how I got involved with it, It's pretty simple really. I got a call from Sundazed and they commisioned me to do the art for a sleeve for this album.

Is there art under the "Plain Brown Wrapper"? Or is the wrapper the commissioned art?

All I did was the wrapper

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:24 am 

cal schenkel wrote:
Well, here's how I got involved with it, It's pretty simple really. I got a call from Sundazed and they commisioned me to do the art for a sleeve for this album. Of course I was concerned that it would be a legitimate release and when I saw John French was involved and I saw the quality of the Sundazed releases I was satisfied. Now I love Captain Beefheart and his music but I'm certainly not enough of an expert to know what's been released and what hasn't or what kind of value this release would add to his catalog. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the package design that the sleeve was wrapped around, I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill. And even more so when they made a big deal about promoting my involvement, I thought that was pretty cheesy and I felt used. I was really pissed though when they took a great color design for a t-shirt and printed it in black & white on a white t-shirt. You know this is often a problem how to distinguish between doing something of value and being used, especially when you really don't know as much as people might think after the project is released. Not many artists are in a position to be too picky about turning down work. I don't know about Drumbo, but I suppose he has to eat too.

--Calvin

Thanks for the insight, Cal. It's always interesting to read what really happens and how decisions get made from someone on the inside.

I'm a Beefheart fan, and this "Plain Brown Wrapper" release sounds a lot like a CD I have called "I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird". It still makes for a great listen, and was my first introduction to the Strictly Personal tracks. I still plan on getting the new expanded CD version of Mirror Man (I repurchased Safe as Milk just recently), which will probably make this CD obsolete, but I really enjoy the basic tracks for these songs nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:33 am 

cal schenkel wrote:
jabba wrote:
cal schenkel wrote:

All I did was the wrapper

Awesome, thanks for the info. And, thanks for all of the Zappa album covers (especially Grand Wazoo)! It's really cool to see you posting here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 am 

Very cool, Mr. Schenkel. Thanks for the insight.

AND....

Happy Birthday, Don Van Vliet!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 am 

cal schenkel wrote:

Thank you Mr. Schenkel, I love your art inside out (to quote an old BeeGees favorite)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:48 pm 

Mr. Cal Schenkel, your art has pleased my eyes.
Thank you.
adamsoon