Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5039
Great you are somewhat proficient on Classical Guitar ,

Just how much did FZ compose using Classical Guitars?

Regardless Bring it on.

Give us a performance of Treacherous Cretins on your classical guitar.
ZPZ will deliver professionally engineered live sound recordings on the upcoming tour.
Give us a youtube performance of just you and on your classical guitar doing Treacherous Cretins.
That should be a walk in the park for your skill sets.

ZPZ does deviate a little but they try their best to get as close as possible to FZs composition.
DZ and the core band do a fine job with that composition.

No one else is doing this. I think you are a charade but even if your notes and rhythms are in the ball park you will sound nothing at all like FZ.

After all your education it will not even be in the ballpark.
It will be in the gut nylon dimension.
I expect it to be as boring as anything else
I've seen done FZ solo cover related using the instrument of classical guitar.

Some half baked versions of Sleep Dirt and Zoot Allures by Lex Kemper I saw recently were somewhat pathetic.
He's got talent but keep practicing Lex.
1/2 Baked Sleep Dirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9srppLsp8
1/2 Baked Zoot Allures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2SF26e ... re=related


I am waiting. I'll give you two days to learn it. What you need more time.
I'l give ya three months. Bring it on 10 days after Halloween.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2344
Location: Europe
Image

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Hey, Trendy, he didn't say he could do better, he was reacting to your racist assertion that he was from Sweden and was somehow less equipped than you to analyse ZPZ. He replied with what he believed qualified him to be able to tell the difference between FZ's output and ZPZ's output. It's that simple, but you are completely missing the point as usual. You throw up straw dogs and shoot them down with barrages of psychobabble. A completely pointless and painful exercise.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14860
polydigm wrote:
Hey, Trendy, he didn't say he could do better, he was reacting to your racist assertion that he was from Sweden and was somehow less equipped than you to analyse ZPZ. He replied with what he believed qualified him to be able to tell the difference between FZ's output and ZPZ's output. It's that simple, but you are completely missing the point as usual. You throw up straw dogs and shoot them down with barrages of psychobabble. A completely pointless and painful exercise.


Like trying to reason with Trendmonger.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
A completely pointless and painful exercise.

Like trying to reason with Trendmonger.

Indeed. Sometimes though, he really crosses the line, like in this case, the words well up inside and I just have to get them out. Do you think his wife has ever read any of his posts here?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm
Posts: 1786
He's gone completely insane. Call the State and kid help for his kid.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
polydigm wrote:
Hey, Trendy, he didn't say he could do better, he was reacting to your racist assertion that he was from Sweden and was somehow less equipped than you to analyse ZPZ.

Closer to nationalism than racism, I think.

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm
Posts: 1786
Trendy's from Catatonia, you'll forgive him...... :wink:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:26 pm
Posts: 128
Location: V䳴er峬 Sweden
Trendmonger wrote:
Great you are somewhat proficient on Classical Guitar ,

Just how much did FZ compose using Classical Guitars?


One solo piece
200 Motels
Works for Ensemble Modern


Trendmonger wrote:
Give us a performance of Treacherous Cretins on your classical guitar.
ZPZ will deliver professionally engineered live sound recordings on the upcoming tour.
Give us a youtube performance of just you and on your classical guitar doing Treacherous Cretins.
That should be a walk in the park for your skill sets.

ZPZ does deviate a little but they try their best to get as close as possible to FZs composition.
DZ and the core band do a fine job with that composition.


I've never heard their version of Treacherous Cretins, so I won't comment on that.


Trendmonger wrote:
After all your education it will not even be in the ballpark.


You called me undereducated, now that you know I'm not, you're saying it doesn't really matter?


Trendmonger wrote:
Some half baked versions of Sleep Dirt and Zoot Allures by Lex Kemper I saw recently were somewhat pathetic.
He's got talent but keep practicing Lex.
1/2 Baked Sleep Dirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9srppLsp8
1/2 Baked Zoot Allures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2SF26e ... re=related


If you call that classical guitar you really don't know what you're talking about.
Talk about not being in the ballpark.

I never said I could do better, that's not the point.
I've got better things to do than to prove myself to people with no real knowledge about music.
You wouldn't even know if it was good or bad.
I think DZ is a quite good guitar player, but he's not even close to playing like Frank, stylistically.
DZ, like most other guitarists, plays mostly with his hands, I would say FZ played mostly with his mind.

If you knew anything about music you'd be able to tell the difference.

When I say he's boring, that's just my taste. Compared to Frank, I would call most guitarists boring, including myself.

No reason to argue over taste.


The real point is:
Don't say it's true to the composer's intent if it's an arrangement not done by the composer himself.
That's like saying you know the composer's intent better than the composer.


Last edited by superjudge on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2344
Location: Europe
superjudge wrote:
That's like saying you know the composer's intent better than the composer.


Well, sj, I've got som some sad news for you: Trendmonger really thinks he knows better than the composer. He knows better than everybody in the world. That is one of the more pathetic aspects about his whole presence (also here).

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:26 pm
Posts: 128
Location: V䳴er峬 Sweden
HJ wrote:
superjudge wrote:
That's like saying you know the composer's intent better than the composer.


Well, sj, I've got som some sad news for you: Trendmonger really thinks he knows better than the composer. He knows better than everybody in the world. That is one of the more pathetic aspects about his whole presence (also here).


I know

Ignorant people trying to be smart is kinda funny, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:26 pm
Posts: 128
Location: V䳴er峬 Sweden
Trendmonger wrote:
Give us a performance of Treacherous Cretins on your classical guitar.


It's not written for solo guitar.
I only play original music.
It would be impossible to arrange all the interaction between all the instruments for one instrument.
Could be done by a trio, though.

Trendmonger wrote:
ZPZ will deliver professionally engineered live sound recordings on the upcoming tour.


Oh, WOW, will that be in stereo?
The things they come up with nowadays...
Too bad they're making mp3's out of it, destroying the music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:55 pm
Posts: 179
Thanks for the links to Lex, Trendy. I really enjoyed his arrangements. Sleep Dirt was originally performed by two guitarists. Pulling it off on one guitar is pretty impressive in my book. Nothing half-baked about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 264
Gosh Trendy,

Arent' you embarassed by your confusing mish-mash of the English language? It is SO stultifying. It is SO stunningly incomprehensible.

GEEZ!!! Try being brief!
Brevity is the essence of wit, so less is more.
If you post NOTHING, I'll think you're a genius.

*
*

_________________
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14860
espanglish wrote:
Gosh Trendy,

Arent' you embarassed by your confusing mish-mash of the English language? It is SO stultifying. It is SO stunningly incomprehensible.

GEEZ!!! Try being brief!
Brevity is the essence of wit, so less is more.
If you post NOTHING, I'll think you're a genius.

*
*


Uh, actually, he has been posting nothing lately. So, you have to bring it up?

:roll: :D

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group