Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 am 

Wow, I didn't realize that tapes of the Dead at Woodstock existed. Haven't checked into it in a long time though...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:55 am 

Trend you raised a ruckus with this one, although I'm a selfish man and want to see just ZPZ in a small venue, you are absolutely right and DZ has been quoted saying exactly what you have said here, the whole idea was to get young musicians and bring the music to a younger audience and from what I have seen at the shows I have gone too it is working. So if they play festivals or multi act tours great...I still hope they make one last pass through Nor Cal in the fall as a single act in another small venue.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 am 

Plook wrote:
Trend you raised a ruckus with this one, although I'm a selfish man and want to see just ZPZ in a small venue, you are absolutely right and DZ has been quoted saying exactly what you have said here, the whole idea was to get young musicians and bring the music to a younger audience and from what I have seen at the shows I have gone too it is working. So if they play festivals or multi act tours great...I still hope they make one last pass through Nor Cal in the fall as a single act in another small venue.

I think somewhere deep down inside all us hard core fans wish FZ & The Mothers
were at Woodstock in 1969.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Directo ... 1267881011

No ruckus was ever intended.
The whole Woodstock 40 is really a one time thing.
It's not even a national tour. Progressive Nation is reaching may more initial listeners.
I had a wish for an opportunity for FZs music to reach that audience.
My feelings are by the 50th Anniversary most old time concert goers
will have little to no energy for a 6 to 8 hour single day festival or multi-day program.
For the 40th Woodstock there may be shows in various locations celebrating the anniversary
in different ways but as far as a one Big Promoter show the Bethel , NY show and maybe some similar ones,
that just may be as large as it gets. I really don't know how many more opportunities getting
Zappa's music to old time hybrid crowds will take place but if and when such opportunities arise
it s nice that old folks get a chance just like the new festival crowds.
40tieth as a common denominator sounded very interesting where the set lists could have been tailored
to include heavy 40Tieth Zappa material.

I think we all can hope for ZPZs renditions of Zappa music to be heard by all age groups.
The diversity of festival opportunities outreaches far beyond a dwindling fan base
that seem to have arthritic conditions of the cerebral cortex
and I don't specifically mean those that do not jive to authentic and authoritative because of some political agenda.
At this point it does not at all look too promising for a big free NYC show in one of the parks
but one never knows. The whole connection of Zappa music played by ZPZ being part of
some Woodstock 40 was just a thought of FZ getting his due opportunity for that particular audience.
It's all a dream in this economy but no matter how small a show is to some extent
what will be of a 40 Anniversary will be.

One thing is for sure, regardless of what opportunities present itself for ZPZ
to get out there and perform we are all very fortunate to get o hear
FZs music done on such a professional level.
The time of bar band standards while fun it's just not something that can compare
to FZ or ZPZ. Some of those bands have been playing for a decade or longer
and they just do not deliver professional results. Oh it's all entertaining on
Eddie Murphy Ghoony Goo Goo level but the chance to hear FZs music
done with the highest level of due diligence is beyond a dream of what one could ever expect.

Hopefully ZPZ can survive for a long long time for if the only choice is some
bar band in the ball park performance that will be a very sad day.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:04 pm 

Has Dweezil ever stated what kind of timeline or lifespan he envisions for ZPZ? I imagine that other core members will leave to pursue their own projects at some point, the same way that members left FZ after various tours. Sure, they can be replaced, but as Dweezil has said, it will take awhile to bring new recruits up to speed.

Dweezil will eventually want to pursue his own music too, so I wonder if he sees ZPZ as an open-ended project that could possibly go on hiatus occasionally, or if he sees a definite end for it at some future time.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Has Dweezil ever stated what kind of timeline or lifespan he envisions for ZPZ? I imagine that other core members will leave to pursue their own projects at some point, the same way that members left FZ after various tours. Sure, they can be replaced, but as Dweezil has said, it will take awhile to bring new recruits up to speed.

Dweezil will eventually want to pursue his own music too, so I wonder if he sees ZPZ as an open-ended project that could possibly go on hiatus occasionally, or if he sees a definite end for it at some future time.

Actually I believe it was intended as a onetime thing from what he said at the Warfield which was the last show of the original tour, but it had evolved and the response was so great that he said they would be back again. I think DZ is having a lot of fun doing this and will continue to do so as he can still work on his personnel projects (he did release "Go With what you Know" during this project). I think he needs to develop a stable for the core band I am sure there are many a starving talented musician just waiting for this type of opportunity that would be willing to learn what is necessary, he just needs to put the word out.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:33 am 

I rate Woodward as being much cooler than Woodstock. Where's the 2009 edition?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
I rate Woodward as being much cooler than Woodstock.

I agree. Edward Woodward as "The Equaliser" is way cool!!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:53 am 

I got morning wood does that count?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:43 am 

(Now I am the Wood Troll)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 am 

Buff that made me laugh, good job...I’m still laughing!