Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 am 

FZ & ZPZ Soundcheck Recordings
I am quite sure many a fan have witnessed these events and heard some tapes.
Video & Audio Recordings of such in a way represent work in progress documentaries.

For some compositions such as Portuguese Lunar Landing the best we may ever get
could be a collection of edits from various studio/rehearsal recordings but the concept of where
any given set of these studio & or rehearsals fit into any given future project
seems within the realm of conceptual continuity connecting the overall project/object
that to my eyes and ears is beyond the terminology of a given set of Bonus Nuggets
for a cheap download fee.

Speaking of Portuguese Lunar Landing I could see where you could get Various FZ Edits of sections of the composition,
a final edit made up from various rehearsals to represent a contiguous play of the composition ,
ZPZ rehearsals and premiere live performances of the track from a future ZPZ tour.
Just a guess but maybe the overall project would have 15 to 25 tracks.

The shame of it some fans these days would only want to pay 99cents for the final edit and all the hard work
that goes into getting such long detailed process projects done is frowned at because of a higher project purchase costs.
The high production costs and return on investment is just not one
of those MP3 conglomerate scenarios and fans that want alternative entertainment of the highest of ambient domains
should care enough to support an artist on terms that lets their business survive.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:26 am 

translation: Joe Travers suggested/hinted (on the recent Canadian FZ radio doc) that a complete PORTUGESE could be/has been assembled through soundcheck & rehearsel recordings. Trendy thinks this should be combined into an album along with ZPZ material of the same theme. And that no one should complain if it is an above average download cost because a lot of work went into it.

Did I get that right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:45 am 

brainpang wrote:
translation: Joe Travers suggested/hinted (on the recent Canadian FZ radio doc) that a complete PORTUGESE could be/has been assembled through soundcheck & rehearsel recordings. Trendy thinks this should be combined into an album along with ZPZ material of the same theme. And that no one should complain if it is an above average download cost because a lot of work went into it.

Did I get that right?

While you have certainly understood much of what the general point of one given project that comes to mind
for FZ & ZPZ - Soundcheck Recordings what I think of people's complaints of a final project consumer costs has
barely surfaced in that dialog.

You can get 4 Double Cheeseburgers and Fries at McDonalds for $5
or you can get a 20 OZ AMERICAN KOBE BURGER with tater tots for $41 at The Old Homestead
and that's before the tip in a fine dining establishment like The Old Homestead.

A consumer should understand the difference of not only where they shop but what they are purchasing.
Regardless some consumers complain no matter where or what they buy or do not buy.
Like the Scorpion it's in their nature.
The truth is some people just complain as if it were part of their gene pool.

http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/index2.htm
http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/dinner.asp
KOBE BEEF BURGER 20 OZ $41
TATER TOTS, CHIPOTLE KETCHUP, STONE GROUND MUSTARD

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:25 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
brainpang wrote:
or you can get a 20 OZ AMERICAN KOBE BURGER with tater tots for $41 at The Old Homestead
and that's before the tip in a fine dining establishment like The Old Homestead.

A consumer should understand the difference of not only where they shop but what they are purchasing.

You hit the nail on the head.
The Old Homestead is living off of former glories. They have a brand name and that's about it. Way overpriced for the decor and service.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:55 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
brainpang wrote:

You hit the nail on the head.
The Old Homestead is living off of former glories. They have a brand name and that's about it. Way overpriced for the decor and service.

Don't get me wrong there are finer steak houses.
If I was talking about steak I could have used Sizzlers which is a Bottom Of The Barrel Chain Steak House
and Peter Lugers which is a premier NYC Aged Steak House
but in using Hamburgers as an analogy The Old Homestead Koby Beef Burger
is one of the best quality burgers for the money made and McDonalds serves Frozen Beef Paties From Hell.

I gave the Dollar Menu prices at McDonalds. Actually many places sell the Angus Burger for about $3.49.
That Angus burger is a new tier of pedestrian middle of the road cotton undergarment burgers.
If you want to multiply that by 5 the McDonalds Burgers before fries @ $17.50 still tastes like a cardboard waste product
compared to a Old Homestead Koby Beef Burger. I'll gladly pay twice the amount to get 100 times the quality.

5 McDonalds Angus Burgers/4 Double Cheeseburgers and 1 Old Homestead Koby Beef Burger
are two examples of the same quantity of beef
where quality of product are at two ends of the spectrum.

For me there is no need for me to sit and complain how I'd get a better steak at Sparks or Peter Lugers
if I want a fantastic hamburger. On occasion I want a fantastic hamburger and I'll take 1 20oz Old Homsestead Burger
over Free MCDonalds for the rest of my life. People that want to eat McDonalds fine but if and when I want to eat burger I want
quality even if I have to pay a bit more for it.

Brainpang you really just appear to be a fan that wants to complain about pricing.
There are so many entertainment pricing quotients tat can make one question how high
something is. Many concerts are now $200 and higher for Orchestra seats
that you are 50 rows from the stage.

I just don't think the Barkfo Swill Download Store be it 256kb MP3 or FLAC should automatically
be an inexpensive solution for teh worlds finest optional entertainment.
Some of these projects take lots of time and money to produce.
If we want this stuff to keep coming where the production are up to FZs standards it may contain lots of engineering
costs where if it were lower production cost fees passed on savings to the consumer
where lets say for each given reel transfer in the vault that became a project called The Minimalist Economic Vault Reels Scenario
we may still expect to pay a bit more that Walmart for the short length of a single reel with minimal engineering
because this is a cottage business model.

There is lots of time and money invested in the evolution of each digital product.
The extra costs are deserved in my book.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 pm 

brainpang wrote:
translation: Joe Travers suggested/hinted (on the recent Canadian FZ radio doc) that a complete PORTUGESE could be/has been assembled through soundcheck & rehearsel recordings.
No YS video, no Dance Me This, no RAGE DVD, and they have time for this ?? :wink: :P
No, seriously, a cute and decent little official Lunar Landing should be YUMMY. At least it'd be more REAL than the government-sponsored version in '69 :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:09 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
brainpang wrote:
translation: Joe Travers suggested/hinted (on the recent Canadian FZ radio doc) that a complete PORTUGESE could be/has been assembled through soundcheck & rehearsel recordings.
No YS video, no Dance Me This, no RAGE DVD, and they have time for this ?? :wink: :P
No, seriously, a cute and decent little official Lunar Landing should be YUMMY. At least it'd be more REAL than the government-sponsored version in '69 :P

I remain optimistic even though some eagerly awaited projects
that Frank was working or seemingly competed seem delegated
as eyes and ears only to the ZFT and their friends.

Just like Frank while they are not always reported to the public at large
there is always many projects that are each part of a work in progress.

What seems obvious is that Vault Media is not a final project that is
ready for release in not only legal terms but in terms of artistic integrity of the composer.
It's 2009 and while a fast reel transfer of any given Vault Reel to FLAC & 256kb MP3
seems wanting for some, a project requires a whole set of known and unknowns
than many fans show little to no regards towards.

1) Yellow Shark Video - Film Rights?
2) Dance Me This - Could be awaiting a dance production with live performance.
The frequency quotient at which ensembles not only have the budgets
but give due diligence to get premiere works of a composer done properly is always something that comes to mind.
I could see a project that includes a combination of live video/audio & FZs Synclavier recordings of Dance Me This.
Ensemble Ascolta is an example of where the project/object may be moving forward.
3) Rage & The Fury - Legal Entanglements?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peek inside Frank Zappa's vaults
December 23, 2008
by Will Romano
Goldmine Magazine
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Peek ... ts_part_1/
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Peek ... ts_part_2/
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Peek ... ts_part_3/
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Peek ... ts_part_4/

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:36 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Dance Me This - Could be awaiting a dance production with live performance.
Nuts! They lost the box with the tapes, I tell ya! They have no clue where to find Dance me this. The last signs of life being sent around 1996 /7.

Trendmonger wrote:
Yellow Shark Video - Film Rights?
Premiere World - Leo Kirch R.I.P. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm 

I don't care how much work has gone into a product. If I don't like it, I will not buy it. If I like it a little, I will pay a low price. If I like it a lot I will pay a high price.

On this topic: Honestly, "Portugese Lunar Landing"? Have you considered that there was a reason why it never became a regular song at concerts? The bits I have heard are not that interesting....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Brainpang you really just appear to be a fan that wants to complain about pricing.

Such idiocy deserves ridicule.

btw, exactly how much was play.com charging for the album?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 am 

I hope Tediumonger never has to call 911 on anyone's behalf. They'll be dead before he hangs up the phone...

If all you own is what you wear