Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ZPZ Full Album Shows
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 am 

I think ZPZ may very well at one point in time do some Album Shows.
As I have stated who knows how long the ZPZ ship will sail and when it stops
how long it will take her to get back into yarn condition.
I'll get into ZPZ after taking a look at two bands who do full album shows.

So Many Full Albums would work and I don't think the played out factor would apply.
If and when I could see this being adapted where initially
Roxy & Elsewhere, (Apostrophe (') & Overnight Sensation), & Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III
with a selected encore lists could be three examples of Full Album produced shows.
Based on the ZPZ Setlist one can figure out what songs and arrangements
have already been performed and what would need to be added to complete
a given Full Album. Yes Arron Arntz left to concentrate on his own music but
we can all hope for ZPZ to add another keyboard player when that is feasible.
I sincerely hope these festivals and ProgNation bring in new fans because
for ZPZ production standards costs lots of time and money. Fans need
to support that if it can financially continue as a touring business.

I don't know how long it will take for ZPZ to learn the next batch of 100 arrangements
but given the state of the band that is out their on the road the current arrangements
minimally have fresh aromatics with a hybrid green awareness. I don't see a reason
to downtrodden on their accomplishments because a specific keyboard player is not part
of their current arrangements. For now as with many Frank Zappa tours they work well with
a little bit less instrumentation but if and when the orchestral elements expand again additional
elements will be there. Would bringing in the next keyboard player be easier if shows were
Full Album orientated?

To some degree it may have a shorter learning curve with the above mentioned albums.
Lets throw in 10 encore numbers which are a selection of popular fan favorites and extended solo numbers.
As opposed to the many different songs from many different albums and live tours and then adding hybrid arrangement factors
these Full Album Shows could be Phase II The Human CD Juke Box.

FULL SHOWS . Yeah I think that would be interesting. Not because it appears on the surface to be easier to add the next keyboard player
but because maybe some popular Zappa albums deserve wide attention as a full projects to a wider audience.
Yeah I know what about my over strong stance on FZ American Composer.
Well FZ did make those albums projects so why not project orientated tours.

Zappa Plays Zappa - FZ Works On Broadway
But them again since this is a change from what ZPZ has been doing
why not consider some change.
Change One
Not the traditional ZPZ large tours.
Why not concentrate limited performances as
a FZ Works project in Broadway Theater type venues
that can be contracted out for a limited engagement.

I could see these FULL ALBUM shows being a different production.
Concentrating on shows in major cities with a 4 to 8 night run.
Each night having special guest(s) from the album(s)
and a well rounded special guest that fits nicely into the Broadway environment.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject: Re: ZPZ Full Album Shows
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 am 

My ZPZ boys and I have been discussing this very thing in relation to Joes Garage, that should be a no brainer, but who knows. We had not considered other single album concerts, good idea Trendy, but do they actually read the posts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:45 am 

Plook wrote:
My ZPZ boys and I have been discussing this very thing in relation to Joes Garage,
that should be a no brainer, but who knows.
We had not considered other single album concerts, good idea Trendy, but do they actually read the posts?

Well if you and your boys would like to take a look at each and every song ZPZ has performed
and plug that into each Album Concept we could have some form of a forum document to see
just how close ZPZ have come to that possibility. I have created a few topics here to start that possibility.
Yes some errors were initially made where I created new topics inside an existing one but it's cleared up now.
Roxy & Elsewhere, Apostrophe ('), Overnight Sensation & Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III have their own topics
but we could have one for any given official release.

Instead of anyone getting involved in all these School Yard games there are so many positive things
users of this this forum could get involved with but forums are what forums are.
You will see how quickly the topic is filled with crap that has nothing to do with what ZPZ is doing.

Fans actually taking the time to look at what ZPZ has done and all the hybrid arrangements.
That is quite a large analysis. Most are just interested in school yard antics.
The average fan has not gotten into that analytical angle on ZPZs progression
as many fan sites had done with FZs canon but that is the difference between a site
where any given person has editorial control and a newsgroup where school yard games
detract from topic concepts.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 am 

Personally I have been watching this metamorphosis since I saw DZ with Liza Loeb at Slims in SF in 2003, I had bought his album automatic and I enjoyed it, and to see him play Black Napkins dead on gave me chills. Maybe I went to search for FZ in him, fortunately I got to meet him and had a lengthy discussion with him and we discussed something like what ZPZ has become. When I found out about the project I was very excited and although my expectations were high, the show at the Warfield in SF which was the last show of the first tour and went far beyond what I expected. I then saw them in Berkley and although I was disappointed with the loss of Nappy, found that with Ray even though a little off, had opened up the band to a whole new segment of music. When they returned to the SF Opera House for NYE concert it was just excellent and the version of King Kong with Les was phenomenal. Then we got to see them again as a single act at the Crest in Sac, again unbelievably good. I know the jury is still out on Ben and not having Aaron limits the keyboards, I await the concert at the San Jose Civic with anticipation, and hopefully the band will have really gelled by then. The other high hope I have is that there is a keyboardist out there learning the music and ready to join the act when they return to the US or at least by the time the PNT'09 starts, since the concert I will see will be part of that segment of the tour. My last hope is that they will tour as a single act on the west coast in the fall, and we will get another chance to see a very thorough outing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 pm 

I wonder if there are musicians out there practicing away specifically looking to audition with zpz like there were in some cases with Frank and I wonder what a zpz musician gets paid compared to what one of Frank's bandmembers got paid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:29 am 

KillUgly wrote:
I wonder if there are musicians out there practicing away specifically looking to audition with zpz like there were in some cases with Frank and I wonder what a zpz musician gets paid compared to what one of Frank's bandmembers got paid.

I am not sure how well known amongst musicians this gig is, but I would think that a lot of musicians who are very good and never got their big brake would be more than glad to get a shot at joining the band. That's just my Op.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 pm 

Shit, i would pay THEM to let me play with them. lol