Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:35 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Yeah, the holy grail of the ZFT as far as I'm concerned. :roll:

Everyone knows this is the one that we are waiting for. I would bet the ZFT is thinking that if they release it, they will never get much out of future releases, 'cause we will all have Roxy, and what else is there??

BUT

it is not true, we will buy other stuff So release it now so I can die satisfied

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:37 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Everyone knows this is the one that we are waiting for. I would bet the ZFT is thinking that if they release it, they will never get much out of future releases, 'cause we will all have Roxy, and what else is there??

Totally, that's why they're going with the strategy of release nothing - "we'll fool 'em all! BWAAAHAAHAA!"

:mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
tweezers wrote:

Totally, that's why they're going with the strategy of release nothing - "we'll fool 'em all! BWAAAHAAHAA!"

ooooooooooooooh the penguin!

He is so-ooo-smart.

They could take what they have worked on, make it into six DVDs and say it is Vaulternative DVD and put it out (we bought FOO-EEEE Boots from Rhino, we will buy anything).

BUT I DID NOT GET BTB III TO DOWNLOAD FROM AMAZON FOR THAT MUCH MONEY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:57 pm 

Yeah, I want more - give me more.... nom nom nom! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:11 pm 

An admittedly mildly negative sensation that strikes me when I think about this:

Compared to earlier, like 5-10 years ago, I am really not that wildly interested in the film. I mean, I know the music, I have heard the songs a thousand times, the previews are great but not drool provoking, so it is not that a super big deal anymore.

Am I the only one having this heretic feeling? :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:33 pm 

I'm with you HJ. I'll buy it if they release it, but I'm not dying for it. There are other things I'd rather get, like Dance Me This or some decent student scores. For me, Zappa's major works are a known quantity, and as a composer myself, the ones I'm really interested in studying are available. In the absence of student scores, I'm gaining a lot of benefit out of transcribing them. I check regularly, but I'm certainly not agonising over the possibility of any new release. The albums I listen to by far the most are the ones he released when he was still alive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I'm with you HJ. I'll buy it if they release it, but I'm not dying for it. There are other things I'd rather get, like Dance Me This or some decent student scores. For me, Zappa's major works are a known quantity, and as a composer myself, the ones I'm really interested in studying are available. In the absence of student scores, I'm gaining a lot of benefit out of transcribing them. I check regularly, but I'm certainly not agonising over the possibility of any new release. The albums I listen to by far the most are the ones he released when he was still alive.

Really? You'd rather have "Dance Me This" than the Roxy DVD? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, that just surprises me. Yes, we've heard Roxy but we've heard over-dubbed & edited Roxy - imagine, if you will, the *FULL* Roxy recordings complete with visual eye candy! Sign me up, fuckers! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Really? You'd rather have "Dance Me This" than the Roxy DVD? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, that just surprises me. Yes, we've heard Roxy but we've heard over-dubbed & edited Roxy - imagine, if you will, the *FULL* Roxy recordings complete with visual eye candy! Sign me up, fuckers! :mrgreen:

I would definitely buy it when it comes out, sure thing, but I just miss this thrill sensation about its potential release as I used to have with releases, say, 10+ years ago. I agree with PD; most of what I hear is the stuff Frank released. A lot of the new stuff is great, but it is complementary to existing material. Not REALLY new.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm 

Some guy told me that we're never getting them. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm 

HJ wrote:
I would definitely buy it when it comes out, sure thing, but I just miss this thrill sensation about its potential release as I used to have with releases, say, 10+ years ago. I agree with PD; most of what I hear is the stuff Frank released. A lot of the new stuff is great, but it is complementary to existing material. Not REALLY new.

Food For Thought

Not to pass extreme critical judgment on your emotions on works in progress but your perspective
is quite different than the Zappa Narcotic perspective. As far as what projects FZ never released
there are some things that may have affected that such as was this material suited for live performance
before getting an audio only release. I have often wondered of that with Dance Me This if that is possibly held back until some
Dance company puts those works on the live stage.

As far as ROXY the changes in editing technology may very well have changed the feasibility to complete a project.
Between 1973 and 1993 it may just not have been financially feasible for FZ to complete with is own money. If someone showed
up with 1 million dollars sometime between 1973 and 1993 FZ may have finished it but now in 2009 it seems feasible
to complete it so if and when released I for one hope all the fans support that project for that is one of many hours of video
from so many events from FZs career that are in the vault.

Additionally while Frank had a razor sharp mind on most of his performances what he likes and where it existed in the vault
Frank showed he had an interest with working with DAW. FZ was working with Sonic Solutions taking edits from different tours to make a seamless performance of a given song.
Florentine Pogen YCDTOSA Vol 4 is an example of that. I don't see the ZFT doing too much of that Ship Arriving To Late TO Save A Drowning Witch edit kind of thing but I think that Florentine Pogen YCDTOSA is an example where technology helped FZ procure some ideas. Who knows we may one day get that build by edit with Portuguese Lunar Landing for a full performance may bot even exist in the vault. Let's say FZ had his entire Vault accessible instantly via pulling up any given reel immediately as archived as a 24/96 DAW master. I tend t think Frank would be revisiting so many things and creating protects far beyond the 6 volume YCDTOSA. Maybe releasing many build reels as is and or maybe making entire new projects.

My view is FZ made every reel in that vault. Some are build reels of works in progress that FZ was already working on and some are basic reels as initially recorded on a master. The ZFT have targeted a diverse range of projects and many are FZs works in progress that in no way dictate an entire ZFT way of thinking. I am not sure what % people realize this. What % actually read and comprehend the liner notes.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:55 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Like I said, I'm with HJ on this. When I first heard that a Roxy Video might be released I was pretty damn excited, but it's worn off. Dance Me This is new material and that is what keeps it interesting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 pm 

I don't know why but I have a "gut feeling" that the Roxy DVD will appear this Halloween.

All this ZFT silence over the upcoming Halloween holiday MAY indicate a REAL DOOZIE!!

Something really special is a brewin'!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 am 

jeddy wrote:

There better be. Trendmonger PROMISED!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:25 am 

jeddy wrote:
All this ZFT silence over the upcoming Halloween holiday MAY indicate a REAL DOOZIE!!

You sure that's not a SNOOZIE? No news is bad news, in my experience... :|

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:09 am 

just plain doug wrote:
jeddy wrote:

There better be. Trendmonger PROMISED!!

Jeddy ,
Something Special. Hmmmmmm. Are they not all special?
To quote Dweezil Zappa from YCFOSA Chicago #1 when asked by a fan
if he can perform his favorite Zappa song
Dweezil responds " Well, You know that they are all my favorites".

This is all from a common ideology that some Zappa fans prescribe to.
When I heard that I could only chuckle. Good one Dweezil. Love it it's a way of life.
I am not sure how long DZ has felt that way about FZs music but my view
of not having a particular favorite minimally dates back to 1981 where it is documented
in an interview I gave with MTV for Zappa Halloween 81'.
I don't think there is a need to reiterate all that in detail
but damn DZ gave me a real good deep down inside happy kinda laugh.
-------------------------------------------------
Just Plain Doug,

And just what work in progress did I promise.
If you can come up with some promise you think I have made please
quote that and put that here and the topic of PROMISES is not on my XXX list
of topics I have resigned from.

As some forum members have set a precedence of falsely and maliciously misquoting me
I ask that you refrain from any possible desire to do that for in all sincerity I do not think it is
right for any forum member here to take a stance on promises on behalf of the ZFT.

I am aware of one of the unexpected released that is slated for release.
As we know sometimes plans change but I have a good faith that this one
that I am not at liberty to disclose is somewhat of an awaited but unexpected.

If you want my gut feelings on ROXY. There may be some additional work that needs to be done
so a Halloween 09 release may not be what I would expect. I certainly am not withholding anything on that project.
I think I gave the community enough of insight on that and the few updates over the last several years that trickle out do show some progress but when we get that hmmmm, Halloween 09' it would be a great surprise but I think there are some other projects that will be completed before that. As we know sometimes an in the can projects is held back such as has been reported by Charlie Boswell with The Son Of Roxy DVD project when that is completed but this same basic philosophy can happen with any work in the can or in today's day and age could be changed to some DAW reference.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:07 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Just Plain Doug,

For months you've been assuring everyone that something wonderful would appear on Halloween, and you are happy to patiently await for any of the multifarious projects the ZFT has (or has not) mentioned in the past.
Assuring everyone that something/anything will happen, is a promise.
And if you think it isn't, then you shouldn't be saying it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:23 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

<snicker> There are a LOT of things that guy shouldn't be saying... :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:43 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Just Plain Doug,

For months you've been assuring everyone that something wonderful would appear on Halloween, and you are happy to patiently await for any of the multifarious projects the ZFT has (or has not) mentioned in the past.
Assuring everyone that something/anything will happen, is a promise.

I am not looking to argue but more so make a clear stance that no one here should be making guarantees on behalf of the ZFT.
If and when Dweezil should ever have me ring some cattle call come and get it I would gladly do that but I think history has shown
the ZFT keeps things a little hush hush on not all but many releases.

I certainly have in the last several months been talking about many exciting
expected and unexpected that are works in progress . In no way am I trying to xxx that out
but when it comes to a guarantee somehow I do not specifically remember guaranteeing a Halloween release(s)
and I want to clarify that detail. If you asked me what my gut feeling was on Oct 31.2008 if we would get a Official ZFT release
on Oct 31, 2009 I would say highly probable. Here we are 51 weeks later I still think it is highly probable.
No change based on any given circumstance but I am sure in time given circumstances will be part of the discussion of
the analysis if the release(s) if and when we do get something on Oct 31, 2009.

Now I may or may not know of any given special Halloween Goodies.
I have a confident warm feeling inside that not only one but many exciting things await this community.
I need and want to be ZFT politically correct and not let any of the Goodies out of the bag before it is officially announced.
Look at Charlie Boswell I think some fans warned him not to TWEET.
The guy is a CEO fro Christ sake and has a good close working relationship with DZ.
I hope we can all treat him with some deserved respect.
I think the consensus is that Halloween is a good as time as any for one or more of these works in progress to
be announced for immediate release or may I add have that froggy actually show up at our door and see what he's got inside his little bag.

I hope you find this response fair and reasonable that upholds the respect to the ZFT and what you are asking or implying.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:13 am 

Is the above comment important? Can someone who has an intimacy with this topic please tell me if I should spend 10 minutes trying to analyse it more deeply.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 am 

Sorry, Trendmonger, but I don't see it that way.
If nothing comes out by Halloween Day, I'm holding you personally responsible for raising false hopes.
(of course, if something does come out, you get no credit what-so-ever)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:29 am 

just plain doug wrote:
If nothing comes out by Halloween Day, I'm holding you personally responsible for raising false hopes.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am 

just plain doug wrote:

Doug your comments are so off point and diametrically opposed, you get no points and will be penalized half the distance to Halloween…that takes to the end of the 3rd quarter…time out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 am 

Plook wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Doug your comments are so off point and diametrically opposed, you get no points and will be penalized half the distance to Halloween…that takes to the end of the 3rd quarter…time out.
Be that way, then! I'm taking your name out of my will!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
The guy is a CEO fro Christ sake

Hmmm, he must have a huge heavenly bank account then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next