Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 10
What is the deal with Ike and ZPZ? He would be awesome singing and trading licks with Dweezil.

Why is this not happening?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
cosmicutensil wrote:
What is the deal with Ike and ZPZ? He would be awesome singing and trading licks with Dweezil.

Why is this not happening?


Gail and Ike aren't buds. They're really not buds at all. Non-buds, they be.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Just read on another thread that Ike is doing a short west coast tour with Pojama People this September. Playing in some little bars in Nor Cal, Oregon and Washington. I might have to check this out if I can fit it in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 587
Location: atlanta!
drama!

_________________
Who's this dude with his hair straight back?
His new white socks, 'n his pants all black
His T-shirts rolled His watch is gold
A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20736
Location: Somewhere in time
I still say money...if the money is there they bury the hatchet and all is forgiven.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009 8)

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Joel Osteen wrote:
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009 8)


And, this is one reason you won't be seeing Ike anytime soon in ZPZ.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 587
Location: atlanta!
im sure trendy has something to say about this... :roll: :roll: :D

_________________
Who's this dude with his hair straight back?
His new white socks, 'n his pants all black
His T-shirts rolled His watch is gold
A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
manichispanic wrote:
im sure trendy has something to say about this... :roll: :roll: :D


Probably but I'd rather not hear it.

In my opinion Dweezil should invite Ike to perform with the band, even just a one off. I'm sure Frank would agree!


Last edited by Ringo on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20736
Location: Somewhere in time
All it will take is MONEY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
Plook wrote:
All it will take is MONEY


You're probably right, we should have a whip round for Ike then he can pay his way in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Joel Osteen wrote:
Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.


I agree. I don't think money is the issue. Either way. Sure Ike would make more money if Gail was willing to bring Ike onboard, but she ain't. She's not going to be doing Ike any favors from what I can tell. And ZPZ isn't going to significantly increase their appeal by bringing Ike in. Ike isn't Vai or Bozzio who both have significant fan bases outside of the Zappa Universe (especially Vai).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20736
Location: Somewhere in time
KillUgly wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.


I agree. I don't think money is the issue. Either way. Sure Ike would make more money if Gail was willing to bring Ike onboard, but she ain't. She's not going to be doing Ike any favors from what I can tell. And ZPZ isn't going to significantly increase their appeal by bringing Ike in. Ike isn't Vai or Bozzio who both have significant fan bases outside of the Zappa Universe (especially Vai).



If enough money is on the table it will happen (think Shaun Connery, Eagles,…etc), if Ike doesn't want the money I am sure he could donate it to the different bands he plays with around the world to help them make ends meet. Yes it would take more than adding Ike as I originally said they could bring in Ike and 2 or 3 other alumni and probably get a tour larger than the 1st one. It would do well...larger venues, live album, DVD, and sales for all things Zappa and those on the tour would benefit. It is a win, win, win…win for ZFT, win for alumni, and a win for the fans. If everyone gets on the money page everyone wins, God I love America…


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 897
Location: Birmingham Warwickshire UK
Did Ike play with ZPZ in the past?

Personally speaking I have never been excited about ZPZ, as I saw FZ in 1988 a number of times. In general I think its a good thing. As flawed as ZPZ with no FZ is - there is a demand for these concerts to lots of music fans who never had the chance to know who FZ was. My sister was knocked out by ZPZ in Birmingham UK, but she never went to any of FZ's concerts.

I think Ike is a tremendous singer, he was grateful when FZ let him play one or 2 solos in Italy when I met him. ZPZ lacks a certain authenticity which an old band member like Ike can give. He is a vital missing ingredient.

_________________
A Blanket in my Muesli. A Blanket in my what??

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.


I agree. I don't think money is the issue. Either way. Sure Ike would make more money if Gail was willing to bring Ike onboard, but she ain't. She's not going to be doing Ike any favors from what I can tell. And ZPZ isn't going to significantly increase their appeal by bringing Ike in. Ike isn't Vai or Bozzio who both have significant fan bases outside of the Zappa Universe (especially Vai).



If enough money is on the table it will happen (think Shaun Connery, Eagles,…etc), if Ike doesn't want the money I am sure he could donate it to the different bands he plays with around the world to help them make ends meet. Yes it would take more than adding Ike as I originally said they could bring in Ike and 2 or 3 other alumni and probably get a tour larger than the 1st one. It would do well...larger venues, live album, DVD, and sales for all things Zappa and those on the tour would benefit. It is a win, win, win…win for ZFT, win for alumni, and a win for the fans. If everyone gets on the money page everyone wins, God I love America…


OK. I see what you're saying but I still don't see it happening. A fully endorsed all-star alumni augmented zpz would be interesting but I still say highly unlikely. I think the key to keeping the music alive is in the youngbloods that are in zpz.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20736
Location: Somewhere in time
diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Did Ike play with ZPZ in the past?

Personally speaking I have never been excited about ZPZ, as I saw FZ in 1988 a number of times. In general I think its a good thing. As flawed as ZPZ with no FZ is - there is a demand for these concerts to lots of music fans who never had the chance to know who FZ was. My sister was knocked out by ZPZ in Birmingham UK, but she never went to any of FZ's concerts.

I think Ike is a tremendous singer, he was grateful when FZ let him play one or 2 solos in Italy when I met him. ZPZ lacks a certain authenticity which an old band member like Ike can give. He is a vital missing ingredient.


Dude you have a right to your opinion but you sound like that guy in the Woody Allen movie Annie Hall who is talking in line like he has some authoritative control over how artist are perceived...And I am here to tell you I saw FZ (4) times and ZPZ is right there musically and a lot of fans seem to agree, so either your one of those who can’t accept the quality of what your hearing or the shows you saw were off nights. The only aspect missing from the ZPZ concert is the non musical “variety show ” feel that FZ concerts had, but DZ seems to be trying to capture that more and more and with time they will get it I am sure. The odd thing is I saw DZ at SLIMS in 2003 and the show had that aspect, so did the TV show Happy Hour, that tells me he must be focusing so hard on the music the other things will have to follow, and we can’t blame DZ for that. Can we?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 897
Location: Birmingham Warwickshire UK
I am not the fellow in the Woody Allen film. I have qualified my personal view with the statement that I think in general, for the reasons previous the concept of ZPZ is a good thing. But it's not for me. I have not seen ZPZ - although I was in the lobby of a theatre at a UK gig, so I did hear the band. Sadly I only saw FZ on the last Euro leg of the 1988 tour. If that (and I didn't know until the last few dates) was the last throes of a terminally ill band, then it was pretty good.

_________________
A Blanket in my Muesli. A Blanket in my what??

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20736
Location: Somewhere in time
diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I am not the fellow in the Woody Allen film. I have qualified my personal view with the statement that I think in general, for the reasons previous the concept of ZPZ is a good thing. But it's not for me. I have not seen ZPZ - although I was in the lobby of a theatre at a UK gig, so I did hear the band. Sadly I only saw FZ on the last Euro leg of the 1988 tour. If that (and I didn't know until the last few dates) was the last throes of a terminally ill band, then it was pretty good.



Fair enough and to answer the question, no Ike has not performed in ZPZ (although almost all of us wish he would). As to ZPZ, you are really missing possible one of the most talented acts out there. I do not speak alone here, I have actually taken several young people to their shows and they are awestruck by the talent and FZ's music. I have also taken FZ fans who did not know about this band and they are completely dedicated to seeing them when they come around. Personally it takes me back to a simpler time and I get the concert thrill I used to get when I was young, and I am currently 3 days from a show I have tickets for and completely stoked!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: ike thread censored
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9597
calvin2hikers wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009
8)
And, this is one reason you won't be seeing Ike anytime soon in ZPZ.
the ike willis/pp thread has been deep-6'd, along with all the recent spam threads

you are not authorised to read this forum

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
:shock:

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Last edited by Joel Osteen on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
"the ike willis/pp thread has been deep-6'd, along with all the recent spam threads.."


Dang...


you are not authorised to read this forum

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 10
thanks for the comments. interesting....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
I don't know I'm kind of disappointed in Ike. He could have gone off and done his thing and then gotten a call from ZPZ but instead he is just whoring around I guess. It's too bad. I would be interested to hear his point of view though.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Maybe he's just sticking to his guns and feels he has a right to do what he is doing. From what I have read he's not doing anything illegal. Not to bash the current ZPZ vocalist but I'd much rather see Ike, Ray, Napolean, Adrian, Flo and Eddie, or Robert Martin in that slot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group