Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm 

What is the deal with Ike and ZPZ? He would be awesome singing and trading licks with Dweezil.

Why is this not happening?

Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:07 pm 

cosmicutensil wrote:
What is the deal with Ike and ZPZ? He would be awesome singing and trading licks with Dweezil.

Why is this not happening?

Gail and Ike aren't buds. They're really not buds at all. Non-buds, they be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 pm 

Just read on another thread that Ike is doing a short west coast tour with Pojama People this September. Playing in some little bars in Nor Cal, Oregon and Washington. I might have to check this out if I can fit it in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 pm 

drama!

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:54 am 

I still say money...if the money is there they bury the hatchet and all is forgiven.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 pm 

ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 pm 

Joel Osteen wrote:
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009 8)

And, this is one reason you won't be seeing Ike anytime soon in ZPZ.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 am 

im sure trendy has something to say about this... :roll: :roll: :D

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:52 am 

manichispanic wrote:
im sure trendy has something to say about this... :roll: :roll: :D

Probably but I'd rather not hear it.

In my opinion Dweezil should invite Ike to perform with the band, even just a one off. I'm sure Frank would agree!

Last edited by Ringo on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 am 

All it will take is MONEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 am 

Plook wrote:
All it will take is MONEY

You're probably right, we should have a whip round for Ike then he can pay his way in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:18 pm 

Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:22 pm 

Joel Osteen wrote:
Money? I doubt it. Trust me, Ike doesn't make shit for money, especially when playing with Pojama People. I have actually come to respect Ike for this. The Pojama People shows are dirt cheap, practically free. It doesn't seem like he is a greedy, money hungry asshole like some are.

I agree. I don't think money is the issue. Either way. Sure Ike would make more money if Gail was willing to bring Ike onboard, but she ain't. She's not going to be doing Ike any favors from what I can tell. And ZPZ isn't going to significantly increase their appeal by bringing Ike in. Ike isn't Vai or Bozzio who both have significant fan bases outside of the Zappa Universe (especially Vai).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:59 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:

I agree. I don't think money is the issue. Either way. Sure Ike would make more money if Gail was willing to bring Ike onboard, but she ain't. She's not going to be doing Ike any favors from what I can tell. And ZPZ isn't going to significantly increase their appeal by bringing Ike in. Ike isn't Vai or Bozzio who both have significant fan bases outside of the Zappa Universe (especially Vai).

If enough money is on the table it will happen (think Shaun Connery, Eagles,…etc), if Ike doesn't want the money I am sure he could donate it to the different bands he plays with around the world to help them make ends meet. Yes it would take more than adding Ike as I originally said they could bring in Ike and 2 or 3 other alumni and probably get a tour larger than the 1st one. It would do well...larger venues, live album, DVD, and sales for all things Zappa and those on the tour would benefit. It is a win, win, win…win for ZFT, win for alumni, and a win for the fans. If everyone gets on the money page everyone wins, God I love America…

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:00 am 

Did Ike play with ZPZ in the past?

Personally speaking I have never been excited about ZPZ, as I saw FZ in 1988 a number of times. In general I think its a good thing. As flawed as ZPZ with no FZ is - there is a demand for these concerts to lots of music fans who never had the chance to know who FZ was. My sister was knocked out by ZPZ in Birmingham UK, but she never went to any of FZ's concerts.

I think Ike is a tremendous singer, he was grateful when FZ let him play one or 2 solos in Italy when I met him. ZPZ lacks a certain authenticity which an old band member like Ike can give. He is a vital missing ingredient.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 am 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:

If enough money is on the table it will happen (think Shaun Connery, Eagles,…etc), if Ike doesn't want the money I am sure he could donate it to the different bands he plays with around the world to help them make ends meet. Yes it would take more than adding Ike as I originally said they could bring in Ike and 2 or 3 other alumni and probably get a tour larger than the 1st one. It would do well...larger venues, live album, DVD, and sales for all things Zappa and those on the tour would benefit. It is a win, win, win…win for ZFT, win for alumni, and a win for the fans. If everyone gets on the money page everyone wins, God I love America…

OK. I see what you're saying but I still don't see it happening. A fully endorsed all-star alumni augmented zpz would be interesting but I still say highly unlikely. I think the key to keeping the music alive is in the youngbloods that are in zpz.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:45 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Did Ike play with ZPZ in the past?

Personally speaking I have never been excited about ZPZ, as I saw FZ in 1988 a number of times. In general I think its a good thing. As flawed as ZPZ with no FZ is - there is a demand for these concerts to lots of music fans who never had the chance to know who FZ was. My sister was knocked out by ZPZ in Birmingham UK, but she never went to any of FZ's concerts.

I think Ike is a tremendous singer, he was grateful when FZ let him play one or 2 solos in Italy when I met him. ZPZ lacks a certain authenticity which an old band member like Ike can give. He is a vital missing ingredient.

Dude you have a right to your opinion but you sound like that guy in the Woody Allen movie Annie Hall who is talking in line like he has some authoritative control over how artist are perceived...And I am here to tell you I saw FZ (4) times and ZPZ is right there musically and a lot of fans seem to agree, so either your one of those who can’t accept the quality of what your hearing or the shows you saw were off nights. The only aspect missing from the ZPZ concert is the non musical “variety show ” feel that FZ concerts had, but DZ seems to be trying to capture that more and more and with time they will get it I am sure. The odd thing is I saw DZ at SLIMS in 2003 and the show had that aspect, so did the TV show Happy Hour, that tells me he must be focusing so hard on the music the other things will have to follow, and we can’t blame DZ for that. Can we?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 am 

I am not the fellow in the Woody Allen film. I have qualified my personal view with the statement that I think in general, for the reasons previous the concept of ZPZ is a good thing. But it's not for me. I have not seen ZPZ - although I was in the lobby of a theatre at a UK gig, so I did hear the band. Sadly I only saw FZ on the last Euro leg of the 1988 tour. If that (and I didn't know until the last few dates) was the last throes of a terminally ill band, then it was pretty good.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I am not the fellow in the Woody Allen film. I have qualified my personal view with the statement that I think in general, for the reasons previous the concept of ZPZ is a good thing. But it's not for me. I have not seen ZPZ - although I was in the lobby of a theatre at a UK gig, so I did hear the band. Sadly I only saw FZ on the last Euro leg of the 1988 tour. If that (and I didn't know until the last few dates) was the last throes of a terminally ill band, then it was pretty good.

Fair enough and to answer the question, no Ike has not performed in ZPZ (although almost all of us wish he would). As to ZPZ, you are really missing possible one of the most talented acts out there. I do not speak alone here, I have actually taken several young people to their shows and they are awestruck by the talent and FZ's music. I have also taken FZ fans who did not know about this band and they are completely dedicated to seeing them when they come around. Personally it takes me back to a simpler time and I get the concert thrill I used to get when I was young, and I am currently 3 days from a show I have tickets for and completely stoked!

Post subject: re: ike thread censored
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
EUGENE OREGON
MCDONALD THEATRE
NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Ike Willis and Pojama People in Portland Sept. 16, 2009
8)
And, this is one reason you won't be seeing Ike anytime soon in ZPZ.
the ike willis/pp thread has been deep-6'd, along with all the recent spam threads

you are not authorised to read this forum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm 

:shock:

Last edited by Joel Osteen on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm 

"the ike willis/pp thread has been deep-6'd, along with all the recent spam threads.."

Dang...

you are not authorised to read this forum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

thanks for the comments. interesting....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:36 pm 

I don't know I'm kind of disappointed in Ike. He could have gone off and done his thing and then gotten a call from ZPZ but instead he is just whoring around I guess. It's too bad. I would be interested to hear his point of view though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 pm 

Maybe he's just sticking to his guns and feels he has a right to do what he is doing. From what I have read he's not doing anything illegal. Not to bash the current ZPZ vocalist but I'd much rather see Ike, Ray, Napolean, Adrian, Flo and Eddie, or Robert Martin in that slot.