Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
I agree about Ike's guitar playing. I didn't realize he was such a good soloist. Obviously that was something he didn't get to do with Frank.

KillUgly wrote:
When I saw Ike a couple weeks ago I asked him about ZPZ and he said as long as Gail is walking this earth it won't happen. I asked him about the root of the problem and he said GZ harbored resentment towards him from the time he joined the band. Frank handpicked this 20 yr. old black kid from the inner city to be the frontman for the band and she didn't like it. He also implied that GZ resented Frank and Ike's relationship, that they got on real well and had alot of fun together. Frank wasn't supposed to have friends. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's the jist of what he told me.

On many of Ike's solos I got goose-bumbs,at first I thought it was the beer & hearing Franks music! But the guy can play! He has found that sound that turned our heads in the first place,and I call it Zappa-esk.whatever,but it makes me stop and hear,then want more! PP doe's have CD's of non-FZ material,that guess what! Is influenced by FZ. Why that would offend anyone? Thats your guess.Now I wonder was Ray not able to expand his guitar prowness in loo of DZ? One thing I do know is if Ike and Ray ever got together lookout! :mrgreen:


Ike said Ray was going to go out w/ P/O on an upcoming tour. That would be great to see and hear but unfortunately P/O doesn't come out west.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:23 pm
Posts: 245
Location: Seattle, WA, USSA
Quilt wrote:

I'd happily call Hoglan a fat blob to his face, 'cause I know I could run, dance, or crawl away. Great drummer though
What about Vinnie as an alumnus. I know Travers has made the drum stool his own but if Bozzio could mange it, why not VC. I suspect he might even have more cross-over appeal anyway...

After thinking about it for a minute, I think that you could probably get away with calling Gene a fat blob. He would most likely laugh and say "More to Love!!"
One of the coolest motherfuckers to walk the planet.

Joel Osteen wrote:
You guys Do know that Hodgy is a member of Pojama People....dont you?


I would LOVE to be a member of a band that plays Zappa music, this is unfortunately not the case. Though I DID offer my services to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KillUgly wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
I agree about Ike's guitar playing. I didn't realize he was such a good soloist. Obviously that was something he didn't get to do with Frank.

KillUgly wrote:
When I saw Ike a couple weeks ago I asked him about ZPZ and he said as long as Gail is walking this earth it won't happen. I asked him about the root of the problem and he said GZ harbored resentment towards him from the time he joined the band. Frank handpicked this 20 yr. old black kid from the inner city to be the frontman for the band and she didn't like it. He also implied that GZ resented Frank and Ike's relationship, that they got on real well and had alot of fun together. Frank wasn't supposed to have friends. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's the jist of what he told me.

On many of Ike's solos I got goose-bumbs,at first I thought it was the beer & hearing Franks music! But the guy can play! He has found that sound that turned our heads in the first place,and I call it Zappa-esk.whatever,but it makes me stop and hear,then want more! PP doe's have CD's of non-FZ material,that guess what! Is influenced by FZ. Why that would offend anyone? Thats your guess.Now I wonder was Ray not able to expand his guitar prowness in loo of DZ? One thing I do know is if Ike and Ray ever got together lookout! :mrgreen:


Ike said Ray was going to go out w/ P/O on an upcoming tour. That would be great to see and hear but unfortunately P/O doesn't come out west.

Then go east young man! 8) Those two with either band would be a thrill for sure,now how do we get Glen to sneak `em out west? That is the question,and if they sing or advertise do they need lawyers? I think it should be like a rave,only a few know till a few days before.Hard for them to tour the left coast,with ZFT in LA.
Sad,a lot of us grew up with Ray & Ike singing FZ's songs.(and Napi to) :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: ike willis
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19894
Location: Somewhere in time
brainpang wrote:
Plook wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
after seeing pp a couple of weeks ago and chatting with ike between sets, he looks about the same as he has for the last 5 or so years, a bit older, a bit more grey hair, but still a great performer of zappa music; his guitar solos demonstrated he truly gets it, his vocals may be off a bit from old days, but lucille was still delivered strong & clear, the goose bump factor is still present



Height and weight...height and weight...We all know he is a fantastic musician and would be great in ZPZ...Height and weight so we can settle this???


Can you please change your name to Trendmonger West? it would simplify matters and be most fitting.



Give me a break...my arthritic condition would never allow me to type that much... :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
People are making a bigger deal about Ike being a little overweight (stupid) than Slapp Happy Nappy being an alledged repeat sexual offender. What is wrong with you people? Ike must be in his fifties OF COURSE HE IS A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT. All you geezers out there must be able to relate to that. Shit, I'm 30 and a little heavier than I was a few years ago. Who gives a shit? I can just see it now... DZ: Hey Ike, wanna jam in ZPZ? IW: Sure. DZ: Cool. Just as long as your weight is under control. We cant have people thinking the members of this band dont work out. Think Robert Martin... except black. Thats what we need in a vocalist/guitar player. We have weekly weigh-ins, and if you no pass you no get paid. You know what I mean? IW: Uhhhhh....No. :roll:

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19894
Location: Somewhere in time
Joel Osteen wrote:
People are making a bigger deal about Ike being a little overweight (stupid) than Slapp Happy Nappy being an alledged repeat sexual offender. What is wrong with you people? Ike must be in his fifties OF COURSE HE IS A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT. All you geezers out there must be able to relate to that. Shit, I'm 30 and a little heavier than I was a few years ago. Who gives a shit? I can just see it now... DZ: Hey Ike, wanna jam in ZPZ? IW: Sure. DZ: Cool. Just as long as your weight is under control. We cant have people thinking the members of this band dont work out. Think Robert Martin... except black. Thats what we need in a vocalist/guitar player. We have weekly weigh-ins, and if you no pass you no get paid. You know what I mean? IW: Uhhhhh....No. :roll:



Obviously Joel you have not properly read the thread, we all want Ike in ZPZ. The controversy started when Daisy claimed Ike was in good shape, I mentioned that he was obese. People challenged that assessment, I gave (3) estimated weights (high-medium-low) for Ike at his height. I then consulted the BMI chart and not only is Ike overweight at the high end at best, but is most likely extremely obese (also known as morbidly obese).

This is just another example of shot the messenger, unfortunately I gained some weight when I turned 46 after a lifetime of being in top athletic condition and I can tell you from my experience and looking at a recent video that Ike is packing some pounds. That being said I love him as a singer/musician and wish that somehow he could perform in ZPZ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:23 pm
Posts: 245
Location: Seattle, WA, USSA
Plook wrote:

Obviously Joel you have not properly read the thread, we all want Ike in ZPZ. The controversy started when Daisy claimed Ike was in good shape, I mentioned that he was obese. People challenged that assessment, I gave (3) estimated weights (high-medium-low) for Ike at his height. I then consulted the BMI chart and not only is Ike overweight at the high end at best, but is most likely extremely obese (also known as morbidly obese).

This is just another example of shot the messenger, unfortunately I gained some weight when I turned 46 after a lifetime of being in top athletic condition and I can tell you from my experience and looking at a recent video that Ike is packing some pounds. That being said I love him as a singer/musician and wish that somehow he could perform in ZPZ.

Goddammit, we need to get to the bottom of this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqz1ojIQTBk

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Plook wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
People are making a bigger deal about Ike being a little overweight (stupid) than Slapp Happy Nappy being an alledged repeat sexual offender. What is wrong with you people? Ike must be in his fifties OF COURSE HE IS A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT. All you geezers out there must be able to relate to that. Shit, I'm 30 and a little heavier than I was a few years ago. Who gives a shit? I can just see it now... DZ: Hey Ike, wanna jam in ZPZ? IW: Sure. DZ: Cool. Just as long as your weight is under control. We cant have people thinking the members of this band dont work out. Think Robert Martin... except black. Thats what we need in a vocalist/guitar player. We have weekly weigh-ins, and if you no pass you no get paid. You know what I mean? IW: Uhhhhh....No. :roll:



Obviously Joel you have not properly read the thread, we all want Ike in ZPZ. The controversy started when Daisy claimed Ike was in good shape, I mentioned that he was obese. People challenged that assessment, I gave (3) estimated weights (high-medium-low) for Ike at his height. I then consulted the BMI chart and not only is Ike overweight at the high end at best, but is most likely extremely obese (also known as morbidly obese).

This is just another example of shot the messenger, unfortunately I gained some weight when I turned 46 after a lifetime of being in top athletic condition and I can tell you from my experience and looking at a recent video that Ike is packing some pounds. That being said I love him as a singer/musician and wish that somehow he could perform in ZPZ.


Plook, when Daisy said Ike was in great shape she was talking about how he no longer had a problem with drugs and was in good spirits and doing and performing well. I'm sure she knows that Ike isn't going to be doing any modeling for fitness magazines or running in any marathons anytime soon. You're the one that blew this thing up into the great weight debate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KillUgly wrote:
Plook wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
People are making a bigger deal about Ike being a little overweight (stupid) than Slapp Happy Nappy being an alledged repeat sexual offender. What is wrong with you people? Ike must be in his fifties OF COURSE HE IS A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT. All you geezers out there must be able to relate to that. Shit, I'm 30 and a little heavier than I was a few years ago. Who gives a shit? I can just see it now... DZ: Hey Ike, wanna jam in ZPZ? IW: Sure. DZ: Cool. Just as long as your weight is under control. We cant have people thinking the members of this band dont work out. Think Robert Martin... except black. Thats what we need in a vocalist/guitar player. We have weekly weigh-ins, and if you no pass you no get paid. You know what I mean? IW: Uhhhhh....No. :roll:



Obviously Joel you have not properly read the thread, we all want Ike in ZPZ. The controversy started when Daisy claimed Ike was in good shape, I mentioned that he was obese. People challenged that assessment, I gave (3) estimated weights (high-medium-low) for Ike at his height. I then consulted the BMI chart and not only is Ike overweight at the high end at best, but is most likely extremely obese (also known as morbidly obese).

This is just another example of shot the messenger, unfortunately I gained some weight when I turned 46 after a lifetime of being in top athletic condition and I can tell you from my experience and looking at a recent video that Ike is packing some pounds. That being said I love him as a singer/musician and wish that somehow he could perform in ZPZ.


Plook, when Daisy said Ike was in great shape she was talking about how he no longer had a problem with drugs and was in good spirits and doing and performing well. I'm sure she knows that Ike isn't going to be doing any modeling for fitness magazines or running in any marathons anytime soon. You're the one that blew this thing up into the great weight debate.

My brothers are we not splitting hairs? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,and Music is the Best! :| :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
For the record, I'm not talking about anybodies waist size anymore. Especially mine. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19894
Location: Somewhere in time
KillUgly wrote:
For the record, I'm not talking about anybodies waist size anymore. Especially mine. 8)



I just got to read this recent stuff, I have been busy, pretty funny...I needed a good laugh!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2gjL-KUqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WT-fxBNKs8

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19894
Location: Somewhere in time
Joel Osteen wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2gjL-KUqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WT-fxBNKs8



OMG Joel if FA grew that hair out and a go-tee...he would like just like Ike!!!

:shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Plook wrote:
he would like just like Ike!!!

I like that Ike likes to like too! Picture Ike in a Tutu! Now thats funny!
I know,picture me in a tutu,thats even more fun. :lol: :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Now, you boys! If you don't settle down I'm going to have to send you to bed without any dessert!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KillUgly wrote:
Now, you boys! If you don't settle down I'm going to have to send you to bed without any dessert!

No mo' tutu jokes? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14909
Ixnay Edropay on the Illisway they ontday ikelay it erehay

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
Who's Ike willis?

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18769
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Joel Osteen wrote:
Who's Ike willis?

He starred in all those "Die Hard" movies, didn't he?

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
debutante_daisy wrote:
Ike is NOT a whore nor does he have a drug problem anymore. I just saw him play with P/O in Eindhoven and at the Zappanale. He was in great shape...didn't break a sweat and was clearly not high on anything except the music.


I'm relieved to hear he's gotten over his drug problem. I talked to him once when he was in some distress, and it was a truly haunting moment for me. I've been worried about him ever since. Thanks for the good news!

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3134
feetlightup wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
Ike is NOT a whore nor does he have a drug problem anymore. I just saw him play with P/O in Eindhoven and at the Zappanale. He was in great shape...didn't break a sweat and was clearly not high on anything except the music.


I'm relieved to hear he's gotten over his drug problem. I talked to him once when he was in some distress, and it was a truly haunting moment for me. I've been worried about him ever since. Thanks for the good news!


feets!

I'm glad you didn't get washed away in the flood!!!!!
I know this is not on-topic, but...
dude! I'm glad you didn't get washed away in the flood!!!!!
Tell us xyqa is alright too!

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
punknaynowned wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
Ike is NOT a whore nor does he have a drug problem anymore. I just saw him play with P/O in Eindhoven and at the Zappanale. He was in great shape...didn't break a sweat and was clearly not high on anything except the music.


I'm relieved to hear he's gotten over his drug problem. I talked to him once when he was in some distress, and it was a truly haunting moment for me. I've been worried about him ever since. Thanks for the good news!


feets!

I'm glad you didn't get washed away in the flood!!!!!
I know this is not on-topic, but...
dude! I'm glad you didn't get washed away in the flood!!!!!
Tell us xyqa is alright too!


Hey Punky! Yeah, I'm doing just fine. Had to lose the carpeting in the basement, but otherwise no big losses. Xyqa had some flood problems too, but she seems to be ok too.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 533
Location: in a small town someplace i used to be
[quote="just plain doug"]He starred in all those "Die Hard" movies, didn't he?
Image

Slappa da bass!!!!

_________________
BANNED and FAT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ike Willis in ZPZ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
just plain doug wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:
Who's Ike willis?

He starred in all those "Die Hard" movies, didn't he?

Joel Osteen wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
He starred in all those "Die Hard" movies, didn't he?
Image

Slappa da bass!!!!

Like thats Ike with a shave & a haircut? Now he is kool? Is that what you mean? JO? Thats OJ backwards,why thats a slappa your face :twisted: :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group