Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:44 am 

joined this forum to upload my ticket from above show but finding process too unscrutable

if anyone wants it, let me know how to implement

PS originally posted this message a few minutes ago but don't see it - last attempt coming up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:58 am 

Hello Fpp,

As you are a new member there are some rules about posting images. I know you cannot do them straightaway, its like you have to undergo some probationary period.

I do not know precisely what these rules are, but they may involve you having to post comments first. I would really like to see a scan of your image; have you got it uploaded onto a photo site like http://www.flickr.com ? You can always post a link to the uploaded image, or direct the reader to the keywords you list the ticket as, in order to search the flickr seach engine.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 am 

a reply - it works!

I saw your Stravinsky pic earlier when I was trying to figure out what to do. Was it you who wrote the piece about him being arrested by Boston police? - great, I laughed my coffee over the laptop (luckily have clingfilm over keyboard).

No, the scan's not up anywhere - I don't do any Flickering or whatnot. I've been using computers for nearly 30 years but this forum-type business has got me stumped. I'll get it up here when/if I figure out how to. Or can email it to you if you really want it. Or can it be sent to you through this forum??

Frank

PS I'm away from the net until this evening

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 am 

I think you have to make ten posts before you can post links here.
There's been a lot of problems with spammers.
Your recollections of that and any shows you've seen would be much appreciated!!
Welcome anyhow!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 am 

rainbow program @ afka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 am 

messrs afka/s.o.s

great site - haven't seen it before. So much to look at. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 am 

had an email saying unica has sent me a private message.Thanks unica but when I click on the link I'm told I'm not authorised to see private messages to myself. Ho-hum...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:16 am 

Just got back to an Internet, welcome FPP, and hope you come through with the Rainbow gig images after your 'probationary' period. I am pleased you liked my Stravinsky piece!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 am 

I really enjoyed about the Stravinsky story too...

I think one must wait one week prior to being able to post pictures...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 pm 

punknaynowned, my recollections of the show are pretty hazy. At one point he said "we were planning to delete that from the repertoire but if you really wanna hear it..." and played either King Kong or Peaches (!?). After playing "i want to hold your hand", I think, as an encore, the band withdrew and he remained at stage right removing his guitar. Just at the point where his arm was taking the strap over his head, the attacker, who had jumped quite casually across the pit onto the stage, gave quite a violent push from behind jerking (not the U.S. meaning) FZ down into the pit. The attacker ran off stage left and I think was apprehended as soon as he got off the stage. I've got a newspaper clipping somewhere headlined "man with black eyes accused of harming Zappa" so someone must have given him a slap or two for his trouble. After a short while some of the band returned to the stage and the larger one of Flo & Eddie was on his knees at the edge of the stage repeatedly calling to get a response from FZ.

I've never been much of a concertgoer and that was the only time I saw FZ. However, I was driving through Brighton, UK in 1988 (?) and noticed he was on at the time. We stopped and eavesdropped for a while on the street outside the theatre where the audio was surprisingly loud and clear: along with the music, which I didn't recognize, was a fine sequence of rhythmic snorks, presumably from the Synclavier.

Does anyone know if there's a recording of the Rainbow show available? Would be interesting to jog the memory.

That's useful mr g, thanks. I'll just make myself comfortable for 6 days and see if it works.

And another thing! I originally typed my message inside Memorabilia section. How did it end up here?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:57 am 

Image (source http://www.fredunzel.com/)

Recording:
1971 12 10 - Rainbow Theatre, London, UK
70 min, Aud, B

Zanti Serenade [PP], Peaches En Regalia, Tears Began To Fall, Shove It Right In, Sofa Suite [incl. Once Upon A Time and Sofa#1, YCDTOSA1], A Pound For A Brown (q: Sleep Dirt, Moonlight Bay) [incl. Don't Eat There and Brixton Still Life, PP], Sleeping In A Jar [PP], Wonderful Wino [PP], Sharleena [PP], Cruising For Burgers [PP], King Kong [parts on YCDTOSA3]

(PP = Playground Psychotics; YCDTOSA = You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore)

(Source: http://www.zappateers.com/fzshows/index.html)

(http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/The_ ... e_Incident)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:33 am 

This photo still gives me the pains - :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 am 

My intention was to get it into the Memorabilia section here with the other tickets. Feel free to grab it from flickr and paste wherever's best.

unica: I have PP & remembered the sound check at the start of the show (but not most of the other tracks). I don't have those YCDT's. I don't have any bootlegs but was hoping there might be one for that show. Thanks for all the info - may investigate further at some point.

Last edited by fpp on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm 

Funnily enough, I was at that Brighton gig in 1988 which FPP drove upto; and after the show I found a cloth bag full of the venue 'retained' parts of the ticket at one of the doors. If I can find it then anyone who wants a historic souvenir please get in touch.

I was being driven back to London, and guess who was in front of us in a Diamler limo?.. It was FZ alone on the back seat getting back to London. I still remember the Reg no, it was E245 SOL. My friend Beverley Ellis was given instruction to chase FZ in her little Red VW Polo, which funnily enough she had called Greggary Peccary, and the Chauffeur must have been told by FZ we were being a nuisance, as they pulled over. They rightly anticipated that we would just drive on, simply too frightened to do anything more adventurous!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I still remember the Reg no, it was E245 SOL.
Diplo, you never cease to amaze me! :shock:

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
My friend Beverley Ellis was given instruction to chase FZ in her little Red VW Polo, which funnily enough she had called Greggary Peccary, and the Chauffeur must have been told by FZ we were being a nuisance, as they pulled over.
Damn hooligans :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:02 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi, couldn't you get a quilt made of those ticket stubs?

Interesting lot of stuff you have on your flickr pages. Hadn't heard that Glen Sweeney had died - loved his drumwork with TEB.

Re. Ike Willis post: I too have not heard & have no desire to hear ZPZ (ZFT in general leaves me similarly cool). I followed with great interest FZ's work for about 25 years, enjoyed almost every minute. End of story.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:30 am 

Cheers FPP, I don't think I will make a quilt of the Brighton Ticket stubs - something else maybe...further suggestions welcome; how about arranging them into a pattern...

Lots of other photo's at my other Flickr usernames, I will post a link on my deepinder cheema account so you can have a peruse.

Ike is a sensational singer and a great presence on stage, he would certainly liven up ZPZ performances. But sadly there is a snowballs chance in hell for this to happen. I will not be buying a ticket for ZPZ performance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 am 

100's of Zappa ticketstubs from 1967 till 1988 can be found here:

http://www.fredunzel.com/tickets/fz-tickets.htm