Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 am 

huge fan and uni student doing a album case study of apostrophe and over-nite sensation for assessment , i was wondering if anyone out there has any info or links to some mainly concerned with studio production techniques used whilst recording the album!!!
cheers guys, dont eat the yellow snow!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 am 

Try this http://www.zappa-analysis.com/riffs.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:29 pm 

I'm assuming you have this....

http://www.killuglyradio.com/fz-discogr ... sation-dvd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm 

There is a great DVD called Apostrophe (') Over-night Sensation the definitive authorized story of the albums where Deweezil points out many of the album's tiny highlights. I could watch it every day. Deweezil really pays nice homage. He is his own person (not trying to be Frank) and I'm proud to be a fan.
Joe B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Yes I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:52 pm 

Tripmyster wrote:

Thanks for the tip I'm going there now. The drum channel has several drummers with Terry Bozzio hosting along with Chester Thompson, and percussionist Ruth Underwood in a forum talking about Frank's music and their experiences in the band.
Joe B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:16 pm 

This reminds me. Why the hell was Billy Bob on the Apostrophe DVD anyway?!!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm 

hotrat5 wrote:
This reminds me. Why the hell was Billy Bob on the Apostrophe DVD anyway?!!?!?

He's a friend of Gail's, or Dweezil's, or sumfin...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 am 

Sumfin...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 pm 

so then i beg the question Apostrophe exists as a quadrophonic entity as well. Was this simply done as a dual stereo mix as well, or was it totally remixed, mastered etc for a totally unique quad mix? I have no access to a quad system so I shant know, but i recently did acquire a quad version of it at a bargain and was wondering a bit about quad techniques.

Also, as a matter of opinion I am wondering how possible it might be or appropriate it might be to attempt to approach DZ and (maybe the rest of the band as well) to sign it when they are here in my town on the Apostrophe/FZ birthday tour. I would have to INSIST that it be personalized to me in such a way as to demonstrate that I am not a ebay scab trying to make some money off the legacy. It would be an honor for me to have alongside the original bands names on the back cover, DZ and the ZPZ's names along side them in quadrophonic beauty.

Just to fit a few more abbreviations into this message:
DB's, CD, MPA, MZA, RDNZL, YCDTOSA, IATSE (It Almost Takes Some Effort), NASA and finally... PTl Praise The Lard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:50 am 

quadrophonic mike wrote:
so then i beg the question Apostrophe exists as a quadrophonic entity as well. Was this simply done as a dual stereo mix as well, or was it totally remixed, mastered etc for a totally unique quad mix? I have no access to a quad system so I shant know, but i recently did acquire a quad version of it at a bargain and was wondering a bit about quad techniques.

Also, as a matter of opinion I am wondering how possible it might be or appropriate it might be to attempt to approach DZ and (maybe the rest of the band as well) to sign it when they are here in my town on the Apostrophe/FZ birthday tour. I would have to INSIST that it be personalized to me in such a way as to demonstrate that I am not a ebay scab trying to make some money off the legacy. It would be an honor for me to have alongside the original bands names on the back cover, DZ and the ZPZ's names along side them in quadrophonic beauty.

Just to fit a few more abbreviations into this message:
DB's, CD, MPA, MZA, RDNZL, YCDTOSA, IATSE (It Almost Takes Some Effort), NASA and finally... PTl Praise The Lard.

LOL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:56 am 

quadrophonic mike wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12998963@N ... 955478186/

Frank named his label Discreet for a reason :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:26 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

WOW..... Reel to Reel!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 pm 

Proves nothing slime - that is QuadrAphonic. We want QuadrOphonic! It's much better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 pm 

Day late and a dollar short department: An official songbook of tabs/music for both these albums has been released. Or, I think so. I ordered it from Music Dispatch, but they said it was on back order.....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:14 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Day late and a dollar short department: An official songbook of tabs/music for both these albums has been released. Or, I think so. I ordered it from Music Dispatch, but they said it was on back order.....

Do you have Apostrophe? I do, and think it's pretty darn accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 pm 

Yes. I agree. Although I find the interlude on St. Alphonsos too easy too play for my taste. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Yes. I agree. Although I find the interlude on St. Alphonsos too easy too play for my taste. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Of course. I merely read it cursorily and could play it.