Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 am 

I'm not on these forums frequently so .. but I was wondering if this project will ever see the light of day, I recently bumped into this quote ...

Quote:
The last completed project of Zappa's life -- an album of Varese's compositions selected, supervised and, after a fashion, "conducted" by Zappa -- has yet to be released. (...)

The Zappa Family Trust, which controls Zappa's musical legacy, announced the impending release of the album on its website back in 1997, complete with a listing of the selections and even brief sound bites from each composition (except "Poeme Electronique"). Little has been heard about it since.

Yet fear not, oh Zappa legions. The long-awaited Varese album may be coming out after all, possibly by the end of this year. "The Varese album is on hold for a very specific reason," Zappa's widow, Gail, said in December. "We documented three recording sessions with a film crew, and they absconded with the film and tapes, and it took me eight years and lawsuits to get the sucker back. And even so, they did not return the DAT. They were bad guys. I would never call them men; men don't behave that way.

"Now my plan is, I would love to get it out next year [2006], to put out a recording and a film on DVD because I really believe in the power of the music as a visceral experience without the visual aids."

taken from here >> http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/unreleas ... _Fury.html

A CD/DVD release would be amazing, just curious as to why things seem to be taking so long to get it out there?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:12 pm 

This would have the potential for the classic charts, I foresee... I mean, a real hit single in the charts, with the bullet...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 am 

rotting away in a basement somewhere in Laurel Canyon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:34 am 

"Now my plan is, I would love to get it out next year [2006], to put out a recording and a film on DVD because I really believe in the power of the music as a visceral experience without the visual aids."

The second sentence is totally inconsistent with the first. If Gail's ambition to release a DVD with the CD is one cause of the delay, I think that's sort of tragic, because I too believe in the power of the music as a visceral experience without the visual aids.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 am 

Me too, no care for images at this point, first the music, than whatever rest is a bonus...

I would wear my CD off (and the neighbours tolerance) for playing so much Ionization: Buhmm-Tchee-Buhmm-Tchee-Buhmm-Tchee-Buhmm-Tchee-Buhmm-Tchee ... aaaaaaAAAAAWWWWOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 pm 

You won't know until about 2 weeks to a month before it's released, if it is. No info is let out about any recordings beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:18 pm 

Yeah, I have the feeling that there will be a 2010 product announcement at or after the statue unveiling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:42 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Yeah, I have the feeling that there will be a 2010 product announcement at or after the statue unveiling.

Hope springs eternal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 pm 

I remember hearing about this some while ago. It's something I'd definitely love to hear - Zappa honors one of his principle muses...

It'd be immense for its historic value alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm 

Possibly leaked years ago on ABMFZ, between 1999 and 2001. I'm not certain this happened, and I didn't download it if it did happen. Sometimes I remember things that the internet tells me don't exist, or never happened, it's a funny place the internet.

Anyone care to verify or refute?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:46 am 

even i dont like synclavir music that much, i'm looking foward to this release just because it's such a mistery :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm 

KunoichiKuntBubbles wrote:
Possibly leaked years ago on ABMFZ, between 1999 and 2001. I'm not certain this happened, and I didn't download it if it did happen. Sometimes I remember things that the internet tells me don't exist, or never happened, it's a funny place the internet.

Anyone care to verify or refute?

I've never heard of this one leaking Kunty. I know Trance-Fusion did long before they released it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:06 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:

The second sentence is totally inconsistent with the first. If Gail's ambition to release a DVD with the CD is one cause of the delay, I think that's sort of tragic, because I too believe in the power of the music as a visceral experience without the visual aids.

Actually this is sad in many ways ... this may be a visceral experience with the visual aids ... FOR YOU ... Gail ... because you were there ... but I am not sure that anyone else could possibly see, or understand this, so much later ... and we just know some of the music!

Fuck ... a Frank Zappa concert was a visceral experience, but I'm not getting any of those DVD's ... and I guess I should complaint to the Zappa Trust? ... sorry ... I can live longer and better in my visuals than any concert I have ever been to in my life! ... and maybe this will help clue you in, why some folks, like Frank are so important! Has nothing to do with the concert this or that! it could be a part of it, in a way ... since there are times when the total freedom is more valuable than the thought of it!

Considering everything else that has been released, I am inclined to believe that you don't have an ear for "classical" music and that we will never see the lights on this one ... I simply have no other way to say this ... sorry ... not trying to hurt you or anything, but it is extremely difficult to think that you have a cogent and sensible direction in the order and choice that you want to release Frank's material ... and by the time that all of it gets out no one will remember him ... except some guitarist 100 years ago?

Not the composer and artist that he deserved to be known as!

Scary thought!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm 

bumpity bump

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:55 pm 

Meanwhile, at Zappateers...

Varèse and Webern: One Hundredth Anniversary Celebration
San Francisco Contemporary Music Players
Frank Zappa and Jean-Louis LeRoux, conductors
War Memorial Opera House, San Francisco, CA
09 February 1983

69:15 min. B/B+ (hissy)

Program:

01 - Grace Slick introduction

02 - Edgard Varèse - Ionisation
conducted by Frank Zappa

03-08 - Anton Webern - Six Lieder after poems of George Trakl, opus 14
Judith Cline, soprano
I. Die Sonne: "Täglich kommt die gelbe Sonne". Ruhig fließend
II. Abendland I: "Mond, als träte ein Totes". Sehr lebhaft
III. Abendland II: "So leise sind die grünen Wälder". Langsam
IV. Abendland IV: "Ihr großen Städte steinern aufgebaut". Langsam
V. Nachts: "Die Bläue meiner Augen". Sehr lebhaft
VI. Gesang einer gefangenen Amsel: "Dunkler Odem im grünen Gezweig". Sehr fließende Achtel

09-11 - Anton Webern - Variations for piano, opus 27
Marvin Tartak, piano
I. Sehr mäßig
II. Sehr schnell
III. Ruhig fließend

12-13 - Edgard Varèse - Offrandes
conducted by Jean-Louis LeRoux
Judith Cline, soprano
I. Chanson de Là-Haut
II. La Croix du Sud

14 - Grace Slick talk

15 - Edgard Varèse - Poème Électronique

16-18 - Anton Webern - Three Lieder after poems of Hildegard Jone, opus 25
Judith Cline, soprano
Marvin Tartak, piano
I. "Wie bin ich froh!"
II. "Des Herzens Purpurvogel fliegt durch Nacht"
III. "Sterne, Ihr silbernen Bienen der Nacht"

19 - J. S. Bach (arr. Anton Webern) - Fuga (Ricercata) a 6 voci, No. 2 from the "Musical Offering"
conducted by Jean-Louis LeRoux

20 - Edgard Varèse - Intégrales
conducted by Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 am 

just plain doug wrote:
I. Die Sonne: "Täglich kommt die gelbe Sonne". Ruhig fließend
II. Abendland I: "Mond, als träte ein Totes". Sehr lebhaft
III. Abendland II: "So leise sind die grünen Wälder". Langsam
IV. Abendland IV: "Ihr großen Städte steinern aufgebaut". Langsam
V. Nachts: "Die Bläue meiner Augen". Sehr lebhaft
VI. Gesang einer gefangenen Amsel: "Dunkler Odem im grünen Gezweig". Sehr fließende Achtel

[...]
Marvin Tartak, piano
I. Sehr mäßig
II. Sehr schnell
III. Ruhig fließend

[...]
I. "Wie bin ich froh!"
II. "Des Herzens Purpurvogel fliegt durch Nacht"
III. "Sterne, Ihr silbernen Bienen der Nacht"
Open ze suitcase, please :smurf:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 am 

When it comes to complete Varèse recordings, I once again recommend this: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/lang/en/currency/EUR/hnum/8613387/art_hex/45646761722d5661726573652d4461732d476573616d747765726b
Th.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm 

HI,

To be honest with you, the lack of response by anyone in that Trust ... is so disappointing as to make one realize ... it's not worth the hassle anymore.

When you don't really give a damn anymore, you close your eyes, and go to sleep and the whole world be damned and who cares ... I want some sleep. Or go get drunk. Or go get stoned ... do they do that these days?

I've given up asking, and requesting, and trying to provide an alternative view ... to people that have no interest whatsoever in anyone's views, opinions and ideas ... because they are God and you are shit ... I've always said that things can come to you in many ways ... with flowers, with a slap, with a bullet, with cancer, with a Mack truck ... but not having the ability and sensitivity to know it, and feeling it ... is another story ... and is no longer about you and I ... it's about something else, that the people in charge are simply not capable, or willing, to discuss at all.

It's their legacy ... not mine! But love, is not something that you fuck with and not say anything about!

With that said ... here's a Peter Hammill bit called "A Way Out" ... and then you can tell me how many excuses are there?

Out of joint, out of true,
out of love, out of the blue,
out of order, out of orbit, out of control,
out of touch, out of line,
out of sync and out of time,
out of gas, out of tread,
out of road.

Out of date, out of stock,
out of use - out, out, damned spot!
You want out, you want out of it for good.
Out of the running, out of the game,
out on your feet, clear out of range,
out of context, out of contact,
out of the woods.

Out, out, looking for a way out,
no straws are left to cling to;
out, out, going for the fade-out...
but what do you fade into?

Out on the town, out for laughs,
out of service, out to grass,
out of mourning, out of purdah, out on bail,
out of kilter, out of grace,
out to get out of this place,
out of this world, out and out
beyond the pale.

Right out of character, out of sympathy,
so far out upon a limb
you're out of your tree....

Out of breath, out of tune,
out of your head and out of view,
down and out, out for the count, or is it just for revenge?
Out of sight, out of mind,
leave it out, leave it behind
out of reach of all family, all friends.

Out, out, going for the bale-out,
no parachute above you.
Out, out...you'll not feel the fall-out.

I wish I'd said "I love you".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 pm 

Flea wrote:
even i dont like synclavir music that much, i'm looking foward to this release just because it's such a mistery :twisted:

Just in case no-one's told you, The Rage And The Fury is not synclavier music, it's Frank Zappa conducting live musicians performing the music of Edgar Varese.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:18 am 

James wrote:
I'm not on these forums frequently so .. but I was wondering if this project will ever see the light of day, I recently bumped into this quote ...

Quote:
The last completed project of Zappa's life -- an album of Varese's compositions selected, supervised and, after a fashion, "conducted" by Zappa -- has yet to be released. (...)

The Zappa Family Trust, which controls Zappa's musical legacy, announced the impending release of the album on its website back in 1997, complete with a listing of the selections and even brief sound bites from each composition (except "Poeme Electronique"). Little has been heard about it since.

Yet fear not, oh Zappa legions. The long-awaited Varese album may be coming out after all, possibly by the end of this year. "The Varese album is on hold for a very specific reason," Zappa's widow, Gail, said in December. "We documented three recording sessions with a film crew, and they absconded with the film and tapes, and it took me eight years and lawsuits to get the sucker back. And even so, they did not return the DAT. They were bad guys. I would never call them men; men don't behave that way.

taken from here >> http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/unreleas ... _Fury.html

A CD/DVD release would be amazing, just curious as to why things seem to be taking so long to get it out there?

I hope she have a copy of the DAT :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 am 

gzsez
David Foster wrote:
Dear Gail,
I’ve awaited this to be released for so long. Any status or hope that you can give?
Thank you,
David Foster
gz wrote:
David,
I am hoping to release it at the end of the Mayan Calendar. That seems appropriate. Thank you for your question.
gz
That'd be late in 2012 -- Consequently, it could easily have read: "I am hoping to release it at the end of 2012" (presumably on any web page in the world other than this) :)

Last edited by buffalo_voice on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:10 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
http://www.zappa.com/gzsez/
David Foster wrote:
Dear Gail,
I’ve awaited this to be released for so long. Any status or hope that you can give?
Thank you,
David Foster
gz wrote:
David,
I am hoping to release it at the end of the Mayan Calendar. That seems appropriate. Thank you for your question.
gz
That'd be late in 2012 -- Consequently, it could easily have read: "I am hoping to release it at the end of 2012" (presumably on any web page in the world other than this) :)

That's great news, but remember that Gail's grasp on culture and reality is totally idiosyncratic and metaphorical, so "end of the Mayan Calendar" could mean just about anything from her. It could be at the next closing of the eons, or an exact moment - who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:21 am 

Just edited to give you an accurate link :wink:

Dark Clothes wrote:
Gail's grasp on culture and reality is totally idiosyncratic and metaphorical, so "end of the Mayan Calendar" could mean just about anything from her. It could be at the next closing of the eons, or an exact moment - who knows?

Well, they tell me that it's all postlude after 12/21/2012, at least the Maya thought so...Not right, says wiki:
wiki wrote:
Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:53 am 

I have to admit that 21st of December of any year is a pretty cool release date for TRATF 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:58 am 

And overheard at gzsez again:
Bob Ross wrote:
Well, thanks for giving us an update…it looks like the Mayans concluded that we ALL conclude on what would have been Frank’s 72nd birthday.
Just in case they are right, Gail…could you sent it out a wee bit prior just so weez can listen to it WHILE weez get ionized?
-Bob Ross
gz wrote:
Possibly. But consider that the Mayans got ionized waaaay in advance of their prediction – or should I say predilection – whilst I am merely working on lionizing the preeminent recording by FZ of Varese’s works – with a little Ionisations on the side
:) That's nice, and maybe there's even time for cute lil' Dance Me This, meanwhile...