Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm 

Location: smelly little secret blacklight bedroom on Long Island
I wish the ZFT would leave all those who would post (or perform) Frank's music alone. There is life after royalties! But that will be true only if the music lives. Continued censorship (I said CENSORSHIP) of same by the ZFT will prove to be the music's ultimate demise.
Consider that my WARNING/GUARANTEE for youse.

from my smelly little secret blackight bedroom on Long Island I am,

sincerely chagrined
Rich C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 pm 

redunzl5 wrote:
I wish the ZFT would leave all those who would post (or perform) Frank's music alone. There is life after royalties! But that will be true only if the music lives. Continued censorship (I said CENSORSHIP) of same by the ZFT will prove to be the music's ultimate demise.
Consider that my WARNING/GUARANTEE for youse.

from my smelly little secret blackight bedroom on Long Island I am,

sincerely chagrined
Rich C

There are two sides to every coin.

And during the lifetime of the artist/family, you don't have a leg to stand on according to most copyright laws, and they reserve the right to have things removed.

But, in the end, the only person that gets hurt in the process is the artist, and not you and I. Because the material that exists, DOES NOT LIE, and in the end, the artist is about ALL of the material, not just the pieces that the family wants you to have and show.

I am not going to disagree with Gail and her choices and what she and the family trust, feel they have to do. From experience, and being a part of a literary family, it will hurt, when the only thing that people know of Frank is most rock star stuff, and nothing else ... which could be perceived as a way to go for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and four ... to pay for the house, the library and what not and have enough left over to buy a dinner that is not McDonald's. I doubt you can not understand this last part!

Please, if you can, be more understanding and forgiving of these choices. If you were trashing Metallica I would join you, but with Frank, I would like to suggest that it is uncalled for.

There is another issue that is in the courts these days, and Gail and Frank had problems with it ... the ownership of film/photography is always on the other side ... not the artist, thus someone else owns 200 Motels and you are not gonna see it! For all intents and purposes if someone puts their own work up (and on that day in time Frank ok'd the video --which he might have oon a handshake in 1969), it probably would be difficult for Gail to prevent it being shown ... and it would be better for her to give us some shoots and live material from that week, that would render that video ... worthless, other than a simple catalogue piece ... that date existed and Frank played! ...

There are a lot of legalities and these days, things are changing fast, and I'm sure that the family already has a plate full and then some. It is my opinion that not enough diverse material is being shown and I would prefer that Frank was met as a composer and artist, and NOT a rock star ... but I know that I am in the minority in that thought and wording. In the end, and this board also shows it ... it becomes about the "fans" and making sure they spend the money! ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 pm 

Location: smelly little secret blacklight bedroom on Long Island
First, I do not deny the ZFT's legal right to limit access to FZ's work. I posted my thoughts to reflect what I wished.
Second, I am not trashing FZ's work. I have enjoyed his music and his humor since I discovered it in the late sixties.
Third, I stand by my statement that the surest way to have his music die is to limit the public's access to it. ZPZ is all well and good, but there are many other musicians out there who love to play his stuff. I don't think that they should be disuaded in any way from making a buck from doing so.
Lastly, I purchased 200 Motels on VHS years ago.... so now I own it and can enjoy it at my leisure until the format becomes obsolete or my copy goes kaput.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 pm 

I wholehaertedly agree with you MOSHKITO
I wish Frank was known more for what he really was...a COMPOSER and ARTIST and not just a rock star!!

Come on ZFT....release more "of the serious shit"

ENOUGH with the live "rock'n roll teenage combo" live stuff we ALREADY HAVE. (except Bongo Fury stuff)

There.
Now I'm mad.

That is all.
Have a good day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:14 am 

-FZ sold the rights to publishing his albums to Rykodisk.
-Rykodisk was bought by Warner Bros.
-Warner Bros doesn't have the agreement with YouTube concerning music videos, using Warner music will get your video audio disabled... or much, much worse.
-ZFT can only stand and watch.