Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:26 pm 

The appreciation of certain intervals has taken time. It took ages before the 4th was allowed, even the 6th was considered impure for a long time. There's something creepy about listening to early polyphonic music, pretty much up to the Renaissance. It's almost impossible how consonant Machaut's Messe de Notre Dame is.
And you have to admit, tritones sound pretty vile.

My favourite chord is in an un-numbered Chopin waltz: it's not even included on several Chopin waltz compilations I have. It puts a D, A flat, A and B-flat opposite each other. It took some research before I believed it wasn't a typo in the book.
Starts in at 1 h 23 sec.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm 

show offs....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm 

Boy, do I wish there was something else I could do with my musicological study besides flaunting it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
Boy, do I wish there was something else I could do with my musicological study besides flaunting it.

Can you teach?

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 pm 

BBP wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
BBP wrote:
The man who says "music is not rocket science" obviously never took a harmony course.

hahaha. Good one.

But seriously....
Harmony is not going to explode and kill people if you make a mistake.

My whole life has been a harmony course. Perhaps you want music to be rocket science, BBP. Maybe it's an ego thing for you.

I happen to know that music is far more important and spiritually nutritious than rocket science.

DM: as a musicology student I saw many people bite off more than they can chew for harmony. If it was as simple as just defining the notes none of them would have issues, but gathering whether you have a C-minor chord with added 6th or an A-minor 7th chord from the context of the piece, that's where the kicker is. Just because it's not lethal, doesn't mean it's not hard.

And if you have to blame your ignorance on other people's egos, well sorry you've earned a one-way trip to my ignore list. I'm a pleasant person but when people start offending me, that's when they lose all good in my book.

BBP, am I on your ignore list for that? There's no reason to be offended. I was trying to spark a discussion with you. I'm not blaming your ego for my supposed ignorance. I said "perhaps" it's your ego. That's a question.

What ignorance? I've been studying music and it's history for a long time, too. I find very little of it relevant anymore- if I'm totally honest with myself. Most of it is knowledge for knowledge's sake and not applicable to the modern world except as an extension of my own ego.

Music can be as hard as you want to make it. It can be simple. If you like to make it extremely difficult it's probably because you are in it for competitive reasons and not for reasons having to do with communication. Or maybe you do it to challenge yourself, which I'm all for but I'm not going to inflict it on other people- to learn or to listen to! Either way, no one is gonna die if you fuck up a musical passage. Music is better than that. Musicians who are horrified to hit a wrong note are generally duller than your average pojama person. Oh, and I love the sound of the tritone. So powerful it was banned.

I never once said playing intense music was easy. Discipline is key to being great at anything. Practice, study and hard work. The thing is, once you've got a grasp on the technique, theory etc, it's time to forget it and do something unique with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:51 am 

Let's pe perfectly semantical and pedantic about this, since semantics is all I have. I only see what it says right there, in your post:
"Maybe it's an ego thing for you."
That's not a question, a question would have the verb at the beginning and a question mark in the end This is a statement, and the added "maybe" implies that the verity of the statement is not 100%, but at least 80% and that's enough for you to consider it true. If that's not what you meant, you should have formulated it better. Formulation is all the information I have: I don't see your face, there's no nuance in font and it'll take much more time to both construct a mail and reply. Take that time to construct a sentence carefully. You see what happens if you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 am 

BBP wrote:

Do you compose? I use MuseScore because it works well and it's free.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am 

I do. MuseScore was something I could not work with. I used NoteWorthy Composer for a long time, but now I'm back at playing my stuff myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 pm 

BBP wrote:
"Maybe it's an ego thing for you."
That's not a question, a question would have the verb at the beginning and a question mark in the end This is a statement, and the added "maybe" implies that the verity of the statement is not 100%, but at least 80% and that's enough for you to consider it true.

Now I definitely think it's an ego thing. :wink:

"Maybe" implies that the verity of the statement is 50% and that is not enough for me to consider it true. Still, I worded it badly and sounded like a dick. My fault.
BBP wrote:
Take that time to construct a sentence carefully.

I'll try to do better in the future.
BBP wrote:
now I'm back at playing my stuff myself.

That's the spirit!

Composers should get their hands dirty.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 pm 

Maybe Dweezil has a solo act??? Maybe I didn't know he left DZpZ! Maybe an old thread?
Does he have a new gig other than DZpZ, like Z was??? Did the band break up? I have tickets!!! If I fly to LA and go to The Roxy on the 9th of Dec., will Sheila be there playing???

Just in case I'll catch IW in Chico with For The Love Of Frank on the 29th at a small club. I saw Ike with Pajama People and I'd like to ask Ike what he's doing for Ali and the band since Glen Leonard and leader of PP passed last month... and are they still gonna work together?
IW owes Glen Leonard big time! In everyone's opinion! I know I'll miss him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 am 

Thanks for explaining DM... you're off my ignore-list now. Let's shake hands!