Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:39 am 

Hey, I know we're all first and foremost fans of Frank's music, but I've always kinda like Dweezil since I grew up watching him on my Mtv. Never REALLY got into his music, though I did buy Z - Shampoohorn.

Anyway, thanks to this here world wide webberness, I decided to look up his discography and see what I could find on Youtube, etc. Sadly, it seems like most of his albums have hardly any reviews on Amazon or anywhere. Most sadly of all is Automatic. After hearing enough of Go With What You Know and Automatic, I decided to snatch 'em both up. Go With What You Know appealled to me the most first because it's more like Frank's music. But, after a while, I eased into Automatic and resisted the urge to skip fast forward on all the finger-tapping and other "exciting" metal type intros... and I like it. A lot! Automatic is such a fun album, in fact, that I began trying to think of what else I had that was like this. This was interesting because at first it sounds like "classic hair metal blah blah." But, I actually still own plenty of "hair metal" and I can't really think of any other album that sounds like this. Buckethead's "Giant Robot" might be closest, but Automatic is more fun somehow. It really sounds like music for summer. I wish it wasn't so passé to use "hair metally" chops these days.

I think this one album surpasses the fast metallish stuff I enjoy about all the Joe Satriani and Steve Vai albums I own (which is almost all of them). And, yes, I know that is saying a lot. This album is a guitar album that just plain has a lot of hooks on it. There aren't any ballads like Satriani or Vai, but to be honest, I dislike 99% of Satriani's ballads and probably 50% of Vai's. On the other hand, I dislike just about ALL of their 80s and 90s-sounding metal stuff. Really. Surfing With the Alien and Passion And Warfare can suck my nuts. Automatic slays them, imo.