Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:33 pm 

I'm guessing this topic has come up before.

I looooove all the material from the 88 tour. I have it all on a playlist on my iPhone and it's my standard go-to music whenever I want to listen.

I'd love something similar to the Hammersmith Odeon release, where there'd be 3 discs of 75+ minutes each full of songs, especially songs that haven't been released yet. The "Texas Road Medley" is an obvious choice.

I'd buy as many multi-dics sets of '88 as they put out, so hopefully we'll see some. What do y'all think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm 

And a DVD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:59 am 

Hypothetical Colors wrote:

I looooove all the material from the 88 tour. I have it all on a playlist on my iPhone and it's my standard go-to music whenever I want to listen.

I'd love something similar to the Hammersmith Odeon release, where there'd be 3 discs of 75+ minutes each full of songs, especially songs that haven't been released yet. The "Texas Road Medley" is an obvious choice.

I'd buy as many multi-dics sets of '88 as they put out, so hopefully we'll see some. What do y'all think?

The Grateful Dead just put out 73 discs from the Europe '72 tour - would that be enough?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:56 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Hypothetical Colors wrote:

The Grateful Dead just put out 73 discs from the Europe '72 tour - would that be enough?

The ZFT releasing a whole tour!? I would love to see it happen but it's doubtful that they ever would. And what tour would you pick?
Hypothetical Colors says the '88 tour. I'm really not sure what I would go with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 am 

The 1984 band -- Yum! Gimme Simmons SDS, Gimme DX7! Gimme french horn, gimme more Simmons, gimme more DX7! Gimme Scott Thunes!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am 

I must admit in the meantime I developed a fondness for the '84 tour. It is more kind of a real band in a sense that Frank is more integrated as member, almost like '70/'71 or '74/'75. It is the last tour were he (and everybody else) seems to have much fun.

The use of popular '80s equipment and factory presets is somehow very fitting for this band's repertoire – like the use of Synclavier factory sounds for Francesco.

Th.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 pm 

Thinman wrote:
The use of popular '80s equipment and factory presets is somehow very fitting for this band's repertoire – like the use of Synclavier factory sounds for Francesco.
buffalo_voice wrote:
The 1984 band -- Yum! Gimme Simmons SDS, Gimme DX7! Gimme french horn, gimme more Simmons, gimme more DX7! Gimme Scott Thunes!
No irony at work there, Thinman. The '84 tour has some of the sickest, craziest, most wonderful sounds a human mind could fathom -- Thunes' cutting lines on Guitar and TF are divine. And I love digital :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 am 

FZ claimed he didn't release the Texas Motel Medley because he would have needed to approach Michael Jackson for the right to release Beatles songs with altered lyrics. Not sure what impact Jackson's death would have on this.

Similarly, he said he couldn't get permission from Led Zep publishing to release Stairway To Heaven with altered lyrics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:11 am 

pbuzby wrote:
FZ claimed he didn't release the Texas Motel Medley because he would have needed to approach Michael Jackson for the right to release Beatles songs with altered lyrics. Not sure what impact Jackson's death would have on this.

Similarly, he said he couldn't get permission from Led Zep publishing to release Stairway To Heaven with altered lyrics.

"Yeah Frank, you can make all the stupid noises you want, even insert 'Teddy Bears Picnic' fer chrissake....but just DON'T CHANGE THE LYRICS!"