Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rhythm Ace Zoot Allures
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 am 

Q: Have you ever thought of using another producer, to allow your-self more time with the guitar?

FZ: I would if I thought I could find somebody who would produce things the way I want to hear them. But the details that I worry about when I go into a studio are how the board is laid out, what EQ is going to be on the stuff you're listening to in the headphones, what kind of echo you're going to be using, how long you should be taking to do such-and-such a thing because at $150 an hour you don't want to be wasting your time in there. It's hard once you've got all that stuff sat up to just walk in and play and forget about it. I'll spend anywhere from three to nine hours just getting the sound on the rest of the band right before I'll record. On this new album (ZootAllures) it's different, because I did a lot of tracks just starting with a Rhythm Ace and building all the stuff up from there. What I usually do is, play the guitar from the control board while the band is playing, or else have the band lay down a track and then put mine on later.

I always thought it was somewhere diffident too even FZ album around same time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am 

cleon wrote:
Q: Have you ever thought of using another producer, to allow your-self more time with the guitar?

FZ: I would if I thought I could find somebody who would produce things the way I want to hear them. But the details that I worry about when I go into a studio are how the board is laid out, what EQ is going to be on the stuff you're listening to in the headphones, what kind of echo you're going to be using, how long you should be taking to do such-and-such a thing because at $150 an hour you don't want to be wasting your time in there. It's hard once you've got all that stuff sat up to just walk in and play and forget about it. I'll spend anywhere from three to nine hours just getting the sound on the rest of the band right before I'll record. On this new album (ZootAllures) it's different, because I did a lot of tracks just starting with a Rhythm Ace and building all the stuff up from there. What I usually do is, play the guitar from the control board while the band is playing, or else have the band lay down a track and then put mine on later.

I always thought it was somewhere diffident too even FZ album around same time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 am 

You cant work that out Dick Sniffer :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am 

cleon wrote:
You cant work that out Dick Sniffer :D

If this is a formal response it should be Mr.Sniffer, if it is casual it should simply be Dick, but if its a role call Dick Sniffer would be appropriate... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 am 

Wrong board Cock Wodger, this should be in Albums :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 am 

Move it over there then what a Cabbage :D