Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: LEGALIZED CANNABIS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
You must have some great local beers over there too, eh Fritz? 8)

BS, your on camera every time you gas up or buy a loaf of bread. It's very intrusive yet no one seems to give a damn whether their rights are being eroded or not. Revolution time baby!...or not. :twisted:

Yea but those things are legal , and i can buy as much as I want.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
You must have some great local beers over there too, eh Fritz? 8)

BS, your on camera every time you gas up or buy a loaf of bread. It's very intrusive yet no one seems to give a damn whether their rights are being eroded or not. Revolution time baby!...or not. :twisted:

Yea but those things are legal , and i can buy as much as I want.

I thought the point was camera intrusion into our lives and buying habits. Fertilizer is legal too. Try buying a ton of it without owning a farm or without any good reason for it and see if that doesn't raise some red flags. That's if you can buy that much at all.
Gun shows are legal, but there's cameras everywhere, both private and government snoops.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52 pm 

Pot should be legal, but not to expect government oversight is naive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:00 pm 

tweezers wrote:

Agreed. They want their cut too and will go to any means to protect it and collect it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:18 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
tweezers wrote:

Agreed. They want their cut too and will go to any means to protect it and collect it.

That's true kapt, but there is some reason to manage it better if it becomes generally available. Private sector, where profit is involved, tends to go crazy (witness the repeal of Glass-Steagall, and there are many other examples that are far less egregious).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm 

tweezers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
tweezers wrote:

That's true kapt, but there is some reason to manage it better if it becomes generally available. Private sector, where profit is involved, tends to go crazy (witness the repeal of Glass-Steagall, and there are many other examples that are far less egregious).

...and that's where the government will wanna step in and collect their share, state and federal. The price of beef has just gone up and your old ...well y'all know the rest. Prices should level out at what the market will bare. In private hands/corps, it's a crap shoot. Look at Oaksterdam, CA., total dictator type and corp crap. Why not follow the liquor store biz model? Or Java & Maryjanes drive- in's? :mrgreen:
Either way when its legal and ya wanna get stoned at a concert or game at halftime, you'll be put with all the smokers. (outside venues not included) Or try taking edibles? That's a whole new blossoming market now too that involves health & safety codes and all that FDA jive. I can see the headlines now "Boy/girl OD's on pot cookies in 6th grade class!". The media will make it a "bad thing". Maybe mommy shouldn't be bakin' pot cookies with a kid around. :idea: This all remains to be seen. I thought it would have been legal 30 years ago in all the states. D'OH! Glad I didn't bet on it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 pm 

Warning legal high addicts will clog system

Moves to ban legal highs are being welcomed, amid warnings a wave of former addicts will burden health services as they come off the drugs.

"In a month's time we'll see a lot of desperate and depressed people seeking help or trying to find alternative ways of getting their kick.

"It will put a burden on the system, there'll be a lot of underground dealing, but hopefully the next group coming through will avoid the mistakes of their peers," toxicologist Dr Leo Schep, of the National Poisons Centre, warned yesterday.

But the drugs did need to be banned, he said.

The centre was getting an increasing number of calls over the past month with progressively worse reactions to the drugs, including people vomiting blood, he said. "You have to bite the bullet."

On Sunday Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne announced the Government would introduce legislation to remove the synthetic drugs from sale within three weeks until they could be proven low-risk.

Industry spokesman Grant Hall of The Star Trust said it was "completely taken by surprise" by the announcement, learning of it via media.

He labelled it political posturing and said the ban would result in blackmarket sales and remove any existing controls.

"If someone drinks a bottle of vodka and dies do we ban vodka? No. But if someone smokes a joint of synthetic cannabis and then vomits, it's front-page news calling for a full ban because of the ‘harm' it caused."

Under the Psychoactive Substances Act, introduced in July last year, licensed retailers can sell drugs deemed to pose a low risk of harm.

Massey University researcher Dr Chris Wilkins said there was little data or research on the health risks or social impacts of legal highs.

There were still unanswered questions on how the regulations would be implemented and how a testing regime would work.

"It's not as easy as people think it's going to be to identify low-risk products because people have different vulnerabilities and sensitivities to different things."

Prime Minister John Key conceded it had been a "mistake" for the Health Ministry to list the small number of products still available as having a low level of risk.

"The health department gave the advice that 41 of these products were safe, and had not previously demonstrated concern," he said.

"So they were given a waiver but I think in hindsight that was a mistake. They should have taken the ultra-conservative view and said all of them were off until they could go through the full regime and prove that there was no harm."

Key also admitted another problem with the legal-high legislation, saying he was not prepared to authorise testing the drugs on rabbits and likely dogs.

"We now need to go back to step one and say if there's a testing regime how is all that going to work."

He said he might be comfortable with the use of rodents, prompting Labour leader David Cunliffe to scoff about whether Key was comfortable with testing on cute animals with fluffy tails but not those with long skinny ones.

- © Fairfax NZ News

They won't legalise/decriminalise cannabis, but they will let the largely untested synthetic pot etc go on the market. Then there are the predictable health problems, of which they were warned...Oh and it's an election year, we had better ban this shit quick smart... :roll: These guys are priceless....

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 am 

...and that's where the government will wanna step in and collect their share, state and federal. The price of beef has just gone up and your old ...well y'all know the rest. Prices should level out at what the market will bare. In private hands/corps, it's a crap shoot. Look at Oaksterdam, CA., total dictator type and corp crap. Why not follow the liquor store biz model? Or Java & Maryjanes drive- in's? :mrgreen:
Either way when its legal and ya wanna get stoned at a concert or game at halftime, you'll be put with all the smokers. (outside venues not included) Or try taking edibles? That's a whole new blossoming market now too that involves health & safety codes and all that FDA jive. I can see the headlines now "Boy/girl OD's on pot cookies in 6th grade class!". The media will make it a "bad thing". Maybe mommy shouldn't be bakin' pot cookies with a kid around. :idea: This all remains to be seen. I thought it would have been legal 30 years ago in all the states. D'OH! Glad I didn't bet on it. :lol:[/quote]

I generally agree with you, I am a little concerned about government overreach, but not much. On the other hand...I forgot (the problem with pot smokers is that we have short attention spans and prodigiousw appetites LOL).

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 am 

The edibles are already fucking it up, irresponsible people leave them where kids can get them and it aint good , again i say decriminalize , i can take care of myself legalization is going to ruin the entire deal. As far as the feds getting into it, not going to happen until they legalize or decriminalize .

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
The edibles are already fucking it up, irresponsible people leave them where kids can get them and it aint good , again i say decriminalize , i can take care of myself legalization is going to ruin the entire deal. As far as the feds getting into it, not going to happen until they legalize or decriminalize .

With the edibles they always put them in bright colored wrapping like it's a food present. Any young kids gonna think it's good for ya and it's a treat. It's hard to stop people from wanting their food to look good but there's gotta be a better awareness of what can happen if it's medicine and it's left out! :roll: I'd think that would fall under the FDA's administrations umbrella. :?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:04 pm 

Have to agree with the decriminalization and not the legalization. Just let me grow my own or grab it on the street. Legalization is going to lead to more gov't intervention via ' rehab ' and more tax dollars being wasted in the name of ' creating jobs '.

Haven't seen these ' edibles ' KK , ( I'm in Nohio ) but they sound like bad news to stoner parents :|

H , meth & oxys are the big problems. If the gov't really wanted to win the so called war on drugs , they would concentrate on those more and leave the people who are too lazy ( stoned ) to cause any real trouble alone. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:17 pm 

I support decriminalizing over legalizing as well. The government might not get those tax dollars, but their anti-drug money could be used for fighting meth. That's where the real problem is around here.

Haven't seen those edibles either KK. I've heard about them though.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:37 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

With the edibles they always put them in bright colored wrapping like it's a food present. Any young kids gonna think it's good for ya and it's a treat. It's hard to stop people from wanting their food to look good but there's gotta be a better awareness of what can happen if it's medicine and it's left out! :roll: I'd think that would fall under the FDA's administrations umbrella. :?

I think that is a problem, the fda that is ,we don't need that, the edibles are huge in cali and colorado, every thing from drinks to candy. Even adults are not understanding the potency . As someone who can handle the stuff the idiots that are irresponsible with prescription drugs are even more so with the edibles . As a side note i have to laugh at the notion that back in the 60's our smoke was no where near as strong as todays. Well...... there was a lot of "commercial", for 15 bucks a lid, but you could get, red leb, Nepalese temple balls , Pakistani gold seal , Acapulco gold, Maui wowi , and even the rare, cali sonoma coma , which was killer sens.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm 

"Put that bong down"

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:18 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
"Put that bong down"

:shock: You talkin' to me? It's a little pipe, not a bong. Good guess though. Real cosmic timing too Fred... 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I think that is a problem, the fda that is ,we don't need that, the edibles are huge in cali and colorado, every thing from drinks to candy. Even adults are not understanding the potency . As someone who can handle the stuff the idiots that are irresponsible with prescription drugs are even more so with the edibles . As a side note i have to laugh at the notion that back in the 60's our smoke was no where near as strong as todays. Well...... there was a lot of "commercial", for 15 bucks a lid, but you could get, red leb, Nepalese temple balls , Pakistani gold seal , Acapulco gold, Maui wowi , and even the rare, cali sonoma coma , which was killer sens.

You,KAPT, just don't like regulation. Unfortunately, human behavior is often stupid enough that it has to be regulated. My fave from the 60s and early 70s was Panama Red, and I had it often (well, that is if I truly remember correctly LOL).

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm 

Me and ol' Panama Red! Yessirree that was some of my favorite buds of the time, sho' 'nuff was, ah uh. :D 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:06 am 

Oh yea the red hair

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:38 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Oh yea the red hair

In The Blue Light. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm 

Remember the faux Thai stick that was peddled around many years ago?
Redbud tied with lonely little dental floss and soaked in Paregoric

That's what a friend told me anyway.

:wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:30 pm 

I remember those dirty tricks of the trade. Freakin' scandalous bastards would sell you paraquot pot if they could! :evil:

I just saw a news piece where a speedboat and truck full of pot where found on Pescadero's State Beach. That's between Santa Cruz and SF/Half Moon Bay area which is pretty far north for that kinda' action. I'm not saying that it never happens, just not very often this far north. They got the truck stuck in the sand. :roll: The sun came up and they had skedaddled!
Real professional Howie! :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I remember those dirty tricks of the trade. Freakin' scandalous bastards would sell you paraquot pot if they could! :evil:

I could 'a killed 'em fer those deeds-but I was probably too stoned :smoke: