Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:52 pm 

now I know this isn't really a Frank Zappa album but it is still a Frank Zappa project. An audio documentary about the singer that no one wanted. He really did capture a certain desperation, silliness and tragedy on vinyl that no other person would ever dare attempt let alone pull off. And I feel that to ignore such an accomplishment would be horrific and a great loss to say the least.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:56 pm 

Is this not on CD???!!!<br><br>On a side note, if you (or anyone) can answer this... Have you heard the Rhino Handmade Wildman Fischer CD set? It has his later (Reprise?) recordings. Are they any good? Recommended? Anyone have comments?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:21 am 

Are you referring to the 2 cd set that just came out a year ago or so on Rhino?  I have that... it seems to span his entire career.... it's a great affordable way to have MOST OF his collection....<br><br>

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:51 am 

yeah, "The Fischer King" but that only had a 1000 pcs. run! (another item for my wish list) does anyone know the reasoning behind such a limited run? Also, the set featured new 'material' by the man. None of the Evening with..........material though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:17 pm 

I only heard one song of his in my life. He was singing "My name is Larry, My name is Larry, I have a mother, her name is Mom..." <br><br>I thought it was sad and funny at the same time.

somehow...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:53 am 

Well, I have the whole "The Fischer King" set, if you're interested.  I'd trade ya something for a copy..... <br><br>Webmaster@powderhouseonline.com

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:44 pm 

That Fischer King CD is out of print!<br>   The" Evening With..." masters are,I bet ya,owned by Herb Cohen....and he hated Wild Man,as far as I know.<br>    Besides ,I think Mr.Fischer thought that he would be a star because of that LP ,and hated Frank from afar for years after that Lp sold not too well.  Wild Man is really unpredictable,and I bet he would want a TON of money to just put that LP on CD.'Specially since it is his BIG LP!<br>    All that ,and the LP has Frank's guitar work on "Circle"...so there's certainly dispute over ownership of that little bit of music,I'd bet.That would seem to further make re-release difficult,I'd imagine.<br>    Ahhh,but what an album!  It's the only study of person's life on LP that really works!   Plus ,ya get Kim Fowley raving about "The Rise of a new STAR!". A Jackass KING!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:12 am 

Yep,it's one of those "so bad it's great" LPs,but it has another draw too.It's a study of Wild Man's mind(and has some Zappa music,too) that really is interesting!<br>    "My Name Is Larry" is from a Rhino Lp made many years later than Frank's LP with Wild Man,and the Rhino LPs seemed to be just a bit lesser than Frank's all encompassing "study of an album" which is "An Evening With...".  Frank showed a lot of sides of Wild Man's style(and life),and so made a piece of art,not just a comedy Lp about a weirdo! (The Rhino Lps were just weirdo albums.) Frank (seemingly)actually liked Wild Man and wanted to help him.On the Lp he talks to Fischer about calming down,and I can hear in these early recordings why Frank would like Fischer's "music". Wild Man Fischer, in Frank's treatment ,looks like a raw ,mad talent,brimming with ideas(and maybe too many voices in his head!). I think ,after hearing Frank's recordings, you get an idea that Fischer's songs keep him as well (mentally) as he will ever get.The paradox is that if Wild Man were ever cured would he ever sing again?<br>      I wish Wild Man Fischer peace of mind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:20 pm 

the reason Frank broke off with Larry probably had to do with Larry becoming violent. <br>A roughly quoted song of his, "I'm Sorry:" <br><br>I'm Sorry so sorry<br>please except my aplogies<br>I'm sorry Frank Zappa<br>if I threw a bottle at yer wife<br>I'm sorry so sorry<br>please except my apologies<br>I'm sorry if it almost hit Moon Unit <br>but she was just a baby<br><br>Frank probably became disturbed that the zaniness which was what Larry was and he loved him for had reared an ugly side and after the anger had subsided that innocent zaniness was no longer innocent. I really wish they would release that album, it's play of humor and darkness seems not just to reflect Wild Man's life but sets an undertone of the darkness and humour of Zappa's work.  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:38 am 

the wild man fischer album is insane and funny at the same time. poor larry he never did make it with his dance craze.the first time i heard it was 25 years ago and that was enough.I just recently listened to it again and after all these years its still just as sad and insane. Who would ever believe this would sell? but its a great record for getting rid of unwanted guests. well larry i hope you get a hit with a bullet someday but i honestly doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:31 pm 

I heard a copy of "Nothing Scary" by Wild Man Fischer, recorded in the early '80s, and I was rather impressed.  He wrote some really nice music, with zany lyrics like "Outside the Hospital" (one that always gets stuck in mah head).<br><br>There's also a rerecorded version of "merry go round"-(mentioned on Lumpy Gravy if you guys remember).<br><br>i think he mentions zappa in a song at the end of the album too, i believe "Larry in Las Vegas."  Gotta listen to the album again, my dad owns it.  I was impressed.<br><br>I have not heard everything off of "An Evening..." however, and i would like to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:56 pm 

I would realy like to hear some music from the wild one ,I'm even more interested after reading all this thread.<br>The only music I've heard from the Straight label was the first two Alice Cooper band lp's 'Easy action' and 'Pretties for you' ,which I love.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:49 pm 

Listening to "An Evening With . . ." is indeed an experience. It is really too bad that it is out-of-print, since it is by far Larry's best work and definitely has the Zappa touch in terms of production and support music. It is not an insignificant moment in Zappa's brilliant career, and it is surely Fischer's finest moment.  A few years ago I bought a really clean copy that was actually a white label promo (which in itself is hilarious). The songs are sung in Larry's grating style, but they are extremely infectuous and catchy. It is almost a sure thing that you will be singing along to "Merry Go Round" once you hear this LP. It is too bad that many people born in the '70s and '80s have no idea this LP exists. Fans of the avant-garde or who are cultural theorists would love this stuff. It is irony, parody, sincerity, and pretty much anything else you might expect from a collaboration between a schitzophrenic street singer and Frank Zappa.<br><br>I also have the out-of-print 2 CD "Fischer King" which contains all his work for Rhino, including a ton of outtakes. I think they only released it as an edition of 1000 because they figured it wouldn't sell well, but in fact it sold pretty briskly, considering it sold for $45 and it IS the music of Wildman Fischer! All in all, his music definitely has artistic merit (many of his lyrics are no worse than most pop songs) and he doesn't sound any worse than Macy Gray! (The conspiratorialist in me makes me think that she has ripped him off by copying some of his vocal inflections.) His delivery is actually quite unusual and just plain original, actually, which is hard to find these days (I love all the different characters in "The Wild Man Fischer Story"). I'd love to write to him someday. Check him out!<br><br>-Martini <br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:59 am 

hi there people!<br><br>the wild man!!! dammit, i love that stuff, used to listen to it all day long for several time and got really mad about it. except the mothers he made some of the funniest music i have ever heard in my entire life!!<br>at first my boyfriend played it to me, who has been a zappa and captain adict for since he was a kid(much earlier than me who mostly has been into punkrock before)...what can i say, i love all of that stuff by now, music is the best and especially that kind...<br>the wild man seems to me like a real weirdo and a deeply desperate person at the same time, thats why i fell for him, and of course his lyrics "i`m a christmas tree, people throw me out on new years eve...", brilliant.<br>its a shame that he is not well-known nowadays, even among zappa fans  and never got popular. as far as i know he got mad at frank too(and vice versa), that may be a reason of course.<br>my faves: the taster and the one that goes"the moon rocks....and so on", from an evening with wild man fischer.<br>...of course its called "the rocket rock"...shame, i forgot.<br>regards<br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:32 pm 

[quote author=Jimm link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=0#11 date=11/25/02 at 20:32:14]<br>I always thought he sounded like "Super Dave" Osborne.[/quote]<br>He does! LOL! Good one!<br><br>[quote author=penguini link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=0#6 date=09/13/02 at 20:44:01] the LP has Frank's guitar work on "Circle"...[/quote]<br>Yeah, I had forgot about that. And the way that The Mothers entered into that song was brilliant; Larry was talking about his idea, then you go inside his head and hear it with The Mothers backing him up. (I don't know if I explained that very well.) Frank's playing on that one is Classic.<br><br>A friend bought this album in a used record store on a whim just to hear what it was. I still have the cassette copy I made. <br>If anybody can post the album cover, I bet those who have never seen it will be entertained.<br>I don't want to describe it and spoil the surprise. :-X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:45 am 

My understanding is that the FZ estate owns the "evening" album rights. The Rhino compilation is based on the tracks they did with him during the various sessions over the years, so its a good compilation of their stuff, but not of all Larry's work.<br>I really like Larry's stuff, odd as it is, its truly heart felt from a man who has seen some tough times<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:37 am 

Thought I'd take a look for the album cover. look what I found:<br><br>http://www.erie.net/~bbelovar/wildman/evening.htm<br><br>The picture is a bit small and not very clear. (Did ya notice the knife in his left hand? I forget what the sign around her neck says.) Includes a song listing, all the lyrics and Frank's liner notes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:42 am 

c'mon everybody, sing along...<br><br>"Miss Jennifer Jones is lying dead on my porch<br>Doo Doo Doo Doo<br>Miss Jennifer Jones"<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:42 am 

Jennifer Jones was always one of my favorites, too ;D<br><br>I've just been reading over these lyrics, reliving these songs. Oh God, my stomach hurts from laughing! I gotta find that tape again. Phew. I'm still catching my breath.<br><br>If any of you are unfamiliar with this album and want to check out the lyrics, I would recommend that you start off by reading the lyrics to side 2 first; you might be able to follow these more easily than the stuff from the other 3 sides. But keep in mind that his delivery is a BIG part of it, and this isn't your average, everyday stuff-- it's NOT "typical poetry." ;D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:08 am 

I think you have to be very very hardcore to like this album (read obsessed)<br><br>It is indeed a resonably sad story but as an album of work, this is utter pants.<br><br>you know it, I know it.<br><br>I sold mine, for quite a lot actually. They appear on ebay quite often.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:08 pm 

[quote author=garyi link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=15#23 date=04/26/03 at 14:08:08]I think you have to be very very hardcore to like this album (read obsessed)<br><br>It is indeed a resonably sad story but as an album of work, this is utter pants.<br><br>you know it, I know it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Nah, you don't have to be hardcore or obsessed. I'm not obsessed with it, and there is stuff on here that simply makes me laugh. It's out there, for sure, and not for everybody, but I was glad to find this thread and be reminded of this album. Especially the stuff on Side 2 where he just goes for it.