Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 26, 2016 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Theatrically
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 am 

I'm just wondering if there are any cy-borgs out there in the process of dramatizing some of Zappa's work. I've been a fan since my age was in the single-digits. I listened to Joe's Garage and Apostrophe' all throughout high-school and then graduated to the more obscure albums and earlier Freak-Out, Absolutely Free, and We're Only in it For the Money... Zappa has corrupted my brain cells and my life has been ruined because of Rock and Roll music. I am much more likely to take my clothes off and get stuck to the seat on a bus now... or to suck cock to get to see a rock group for free, and I just wish more people in my world (generation) had more exposure to the ride I've been on for the past 20 years of my life (i'm only 29 now...).

I understand the trepidation in ever putting Zappa material into a Live Theatrical event (with some crazy plot, and anti-censorship moral or something...) because you never know what's gonna work and what's gonna flop... but if it is developed in the right way with nothing but die-hard fans working on it, I think I have the resources here in NYC to do something about getting a ball rolling...

Come here little puppy, bring the slippers.
AWinner

Post subject: Re: Zappa Theatrically
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:36 pm 

Hi

(Just saw this ... hope you get to see it!)

As a theater/film major, I have always thought that the FZ material had pretty good stage material to work with, and one could, even do something like "200 Motels" on a theater, and I don't think you need the huge budget, although I think that you will end up with 50 to 100 kids in the production, and that could make it all a tough mess to work with.

I would have a live band, playing the music, and the stage folks would be the additional musicians that make the orchestra in the end ... and it doesn't have to have the traditional orchestra instruments, for example, and you could do it with kazoos, kitchen utensils and everything else you could think off.

It is a "musical", and you would have to connect these parts a bit for the stage, so a story/play makes more sense ... instead of a band's story via the groupies or equivalent, you could have this as the story of some fans on the way to a FZ concert ... and at that point, the whole charade and fun, makes more sense, and the concert comes off as an insane evening to enjoy ... which is what we all go through anyway ... with or without a joint, and regardless of the band!

I have written, scenarios for various pieces ... and posted them on one board, but, sadly, this is not something that is appreciated here in America, since you are not used to theater and film and its interpretations, of the arts ... here it's all about the hits and the top ten, and anything else suffers ... I can easily tell you what it was like when "Tommy" came out and everyone said it was pretentious and garbage and not an opera. Just a bunch of songs! In other words, a whole generation got immediately dismissed as not being creative, and capable of putting together meaningful work.

I totally disagree. Some of the scenarios I have written are for "Tales from Topographic Oceans", "A lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "A passion Play" (done a la Marat/Sade!!!), and a couple of other things ... I even would like to do one for "Close to the Edge", but YES fans will detest it because it is not hipi'ish enough for them!

To me, these are the great art works in music of our generation and I revere them as such. FZ's 200 Motels is one of these for me, and unlike most people, I am one of the few that EVER gave this film the proper appreciation it deserves, while most reviewers trashed it. AND, to boot, even people here have issues with it ... I take it they don't get it ... but in the end, there might not be anything to get, and to me ... that is "perfect" FZ!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:46 pm 

Hi,

The major concern would be ... would the ZPT allow it to be done. Gail appeared to be very limited to allowing a lot to be done, but I do not see that there were theater requests, and film requests were probably taboo, because of bad experiences with WB and other details.

But I think that something can be done now, and if it is put together, or written, I do not think that Ahmet would say no to it, knowing that this would be a great tribute to an "author", or "composer" ... and this is the part I am not sure (my thought!!!) Gail was capable of seeing ... but I think that going forward, this is very possible, and likely.

Now, just to hear a "band" do 15 songs from "200 Motels", I would say NO, right off the bat!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 pm 

Ummmmmmm... that guys post is over a year old, STUPID!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Ummmmmmm... that guys post is over a year old, STUPID!!

That's OK ... because my idea/concept will be published and seen, and your comment won't!

Again, I saw that and commented on it on the first line, but the idea/concept and details ... I have them all written and will be shown when the time comes. Honestly, I do not see that any of it will be done in my lifetime, if EVER at all, so don't worry ... your disregard comment will at least be acknowledged in some way ... but you are not helping bring up the work ... you're burying it, instead!

You really think that the 9th sounds like the original? almost 200 years later? think about it! So interpretations and ideas like mine, are not that far away, either!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 am 

Next month, I'm gonna try to make it to a showing of THE CHICAGO ZAPPA COLLECTIVE PRESENTS: JOE'S GARAGE.

http://www.wireismusic.com/event-calendar/?event_id=6164085

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Next month, I'm gonna try to make it to a showing of THE CHICAGO ZAPPA COLLECTIVE PRESENTS: JOE'S GARAGE.

http://www.wireismusic.com/event-calendar/?event_id=6164085

Glad to see these things come around ... the more of them we will see the better. This stuff will help Frank's music last a lot longer than the vociferous fans that wanted a DVD and never supported it when it came out! Those sales numbers should be in the hundred thousands in America alone ... !!!! I'm buying 2 more for Christmas presents!

Last edited by Moshkiae on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:16 pm 

Moshkiae wrote:
[...This stuff will help Frank's music last a lot longer than the vociferous fans that wanted a DVD and never supported it when it came out! Those sales numbers should be in the hundred thousands in America alone ... !!!!

I was still around to buy my copy...but, then, I was still pretty young when getting it on DVD first came up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:29 pm 

Well, I didn't make it to Joe's Garage. A couple friends of mine went and they gave it high reviews. The three of us saw it the last time it played a couple years ago and they both said it was even better this time. It was at a new club with a supposedly awesome sound system. So, damn, but I just couldn't make it happen. Chris Siebold was on guitar, so that was probably worth the ticket. I've seen him jazz combos such as Kick the Cat since the mid-90s. He played for the stage production of Billy the Mountain. I actually heard him on Prairie Home Companion a couple weeks ago, so its good that he's getting paying gigs! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 pm 

Hi,

My hope is that more and more of his work will get shown on stage, either performed with a theater group or with some kind of a band/orchestral design of folks. As time goes by, I think this will get done and I would not be surprised to find even things like 200 Motels get done in a couple more places ... that LA got Saponen and did 200 Motels, should make NY envious ... and instead NY ignores it because it is not one of their boring Broadway musicals!