Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stuff for musicians
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:55 am 

How about a new book/website/guide...........<br>Explaining the music for musicians.<br>Perhaps, clips of rehearsal tapes (where recordings of the rehearsals made?) with Frank explaining an arrangement concept or some other point of interest.<br>Perhaps quotes from the original musicians that played a particular part.<br><br>I dunno - just seems a hell of a lot of information is available at the moment from people who worked with frank that should be preserved for future generations.<br><br>As for musicians - this stuff is essential. :-*<br>

Post subject: Re: Stuff for musicians
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:39 pm 

I think this is a great idea! There are a few musicological studies on the work of FZ already available but unfortunately, these are only in Italian and German. The author of one of these books, Gianfranco Salvatore, is said to be working on a new 800-page analysis of Zappa's music. <br><br>Then again, an official ZFT-endorsed book would probably be even better, as long as it's written by an expert. Indeed, input from the musicians who worked with Frank and multimedia clips from rehearsals sound like an excellent idea, I'd definitely be interested. <br><br>There is a nice little website devoted to the analysis of FZ's music: http://www.zappa-analysis.com , with a lot of transcriptions and midi examples (although some of the examples sound awful, imo). Still, it is an interesting site for musicians.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:34 pm 

I agree with you....<br>I've always felt that FZ has been ONE of the most misunderstood musicians of our time, and his fanbase has always been rather small (but also faithfull and kind of fanatic...which is a good thing...).<br>Since his death you hardly ever read or hear anything about the man and his music (except for the internet) and i think that it's really a pity that Frank's music isn't more ''universal'' understood.....<br>I mean the new FZ:OZ album didn't even sell the 5000 copies it initially needed to sell to EVEN be shipped....<br>And the way The Zappa Family Trust is marketing and selling the album's isn't making it any better: i guess Zappa will always remain a artists who is truly understood and appreciated by ONLY a small group of faithful and dedicated music-lovers.....a pity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:14 am 

What about the books like the HOTRATS one that came out? Any more planned?<br><br>Be good if the ZFT did guides for musicians on the correct way to perfom certain pieces by Frank.<br>