Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: VAULTERNATIVE VOTE!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:22 pm 

Well, I think the last albums Frank finished, like 'Trance-Fusion' and 'Dance Me This' should be released first. But okay, technically, those aren't Vaulternative releases.<br><br>Next, I'd really like to see either a Grand or Petit Wazoo show from '72 or a full concert of the '73 line-up with Sal Marquez and Jean-Luc Ponty. These line-ups were absent from the YCDTOSA-series, and both played unique material not available on any other release, like the full 'Farther O'Blivion' played on the '73 tour.<br><br>But I'd be content with anything they release, it's all good to me. Still have to order Oz and other B-S releases though, I'm saving up right now...

Post subject: Re: VAULTernative VOTE!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:50 am 

I really don't care, i think we shouldn't be complaining.<br>I mean, we are all fans of one of the most prolific artists of all time, so i really don't see the problem...<br><br>The Zappa Family are doing their best they can and we should'nt be complaining.<br><br>We already have this great new web-site and by the looks of it, we will be honored with really nice releases in the near future...<br><br>I mean, try to run a business yourself.<br>Especially when this business is based on one of the most ''difficult'' to sell artists of the 20th century...<br>Give the Zappa's a break, will ya ???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:13 am 

Well, I don't see anyone complaining here. It's just a question: "What would YOU like to see released next", nothing wrong with that...<br><br>Anyway, I made a little interactive poll to make things easier:<br><br>Poll: What would you like to see released next <br>[*] Trance-Fusion, Dance Me This etc.<br>[*] Roxy DVD<br>[*] Honker Home Videos on DVD<br>[*] Grand / Petit Wazoo Concert<br>[*] 73 band full concert<br>[*] Other...<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:47 am 

We have at least more than 60 CDs of Frank's music. I voted for the videos stuff because, more than anything else, I'd like to see him again. Nostalgia ? I think, for me , it would be a heart-warming experience to see him at full force. <br>I do have 200 Motels. I'd like more. And at a fair price if possible.<br>But, maybe it's just me being in that kind of mood...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:35 pm 

The results are displayed in the image above, it should update immediately whenever someone clicks on one of the links to vote. But white_person is right, I should have started a new thread for this...<br><br>Anyway, a Vaulternative release of the Hot Rats tour from 1970 would also be nice. Or a good quality version of the complete Sofa suite from '71. Or.. or.. or.. ;)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:13 pm 

There should be a button marked "all" in the poll.    <br>     I clicked Honkers, but only because I've never seen them, being late for the party in VCR ownership. (Record TV?! Whatever for?!) I guess I should have bought them anyway, I know I wish I did now.<br>     Yes Dr., Grand Wazoo seems to get the most mentions, and mine too. I'd also like the '73 band; it's the only one I ever saw live. <br>     And yes, release the stuff that was already completed. What seems to be the holdup?<br>     Roxy.... I just looked at the trailer again. Damn! You mean I don't own this yet? What seems to be the holdup?<br>     And the others.... as mentioned in another thread somewhere.... Just start releasing another "Beat the Boots" type series. Spiff up the tapes of some of the more popular boots a bit, put them in some cardboard sleeves, and make them available at a reasonable cost.<br>     What seems to be the holdup?<br><br>Bob<br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:57 am 

Unfortunately, the poll has expired so you can't cast any new votes. Not my decision, but that's the policy of the site I've used to create it ("I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy every once in a while".. ;))

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:32 am 

the release policy of the ZFT is driving me nuts, i mean, there is finished new music by Frank and we are still waiting on it. Especially i am waiting for "Dance Me this", new synclavier music ! But this won't be part of the Vaulternative release schedule, if there is any, which i doubt. <br><br>Sure, i would be glad having some fine recordings of Petit or Grand Wazoo, but i would take anything, also the 1979 London shows, or something from the 1982 tour . <br>i would also create a new label or use the UMRK label to release the unreleased studio stuff, like the mammy nuns demo, the last session from 1993 and especially the unreleased synclavier stuff ... <br><br>i don't know how much there is in the vault worth to release but i think i am drooling on something that will probably not happen. If there was an interest of the ZFT to release this music, we would already have it. Now, don't we expect anything, so everything we really get, is a bonus...<br><br>In the meantime we can enjoy pointless bullshit compilations like Phish picks Zappa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:45 am 

You know, I guess we've already had this discussion elsewhere but I don't believe that the ZFT really doesn't want to put out new albums. It's just that, with over 60 official FZ releases already out there, any new album they'll release will only be bought by hardcore fanatical FZ fans who already have a more-or-less complete collection. I think that the sales of OZ are used to measure the interest in Vaulternative releases, so let's hope the sales figures are high enough to show them that there is an interest in 'new' shows. <br><br>I think an FZ DVD would be a bigger seller than any audio release. In the past year, worldwide cd sales have been disappointing, but the number of music DVD's sold has actually increased. And an FZ DVD would also appeal to the less fanatical Zappa fans.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:53 pm 

I'm not so sure you're accurate when you say that DVDs would sell better than audio releases (I know, I'm paraphrasing). I, for one, a long-standing Zappa fan, would instantly pre-order any new audio release, but DVD? I'm in no rush to "watch" music, so I probably wouldn't buy a DVD right away. Maybe eventually, but certainly not as a pre-order.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:19 pm 

[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=wishList&num=1034209066&start=15#20 date=10/20/02 at 14:54:33]<br>Sorry, you can see I got pretty furious and have totally lost the point of your post...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, that's okay, Doc. "Get rid of some of that inner tension", like Jeff's bad conscience said in 200 Motels. ;) <br><br>You do bring up a lot of valid points, I'm sure that a lot of FZ fans who have supported Frank's career along the years feel the same way about this. As you might have guessed from my 'ZFT and Ryko'-thread, I'm also quite unhappy with some of the ZFT business practices. As much as I love FZ's music, as a college student I only have a limited budget to spend on music and when I have to choose between buying the OZ double set online or buying the 4-disc Miles Davis 'Complete Bitches Brew Sessions' in my local store for the same price, I'll opt for the latter. At least I still buy the originals, unlike a lot of young people I know who get all the music they want for free from file sharing programs.<br><br>All the hassle with the pre-ordering, the delays and people rightfully complaining about products paid for but never shipped is completely inexcusable. I really hope that the ZFT will take all the comments in the FAQ section as an incentive to do a better job instead of seeing them as negative critique. And if they take the results of the poll here seriously, they'll know what to release first.. <br><br>Thanks for your kind words about my postings. As most of the non-English speakers here will probably acknowledge, it can be quite difficult to get your point across when English isn't your native language. I enjoy all the posts here from everyone on the board, even when I don't agree with the contents. It's cool to talk Zappa with likeminded individuals, I don't get many opportunities to do that in real life.<br><br>Now I'll step off my soapbox and let's get back to the point of this thread: let's vote!<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:36 pm 

<br>[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=wishList&num=1034209066&start=15#23 date=10/21/02 at 17:08:16]<br>No question !! (Unfortunately I never had the chance to put my hands on that 4-disc release; is it still available ? BITCHES BREW...what an album...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>The Bitches Brew box is in BMG for something like $24, less than they have the double CD for. I think you get it free if you sign up, using it as 4 CDs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:46 pm 

This is to Chris_Federico: I really believe that the two titles - 'Trance-Fusion' & 'Dance Me This' are quite tongue-in-cheek. Probably Synclavier work; CF: Civilization Phaze III; IE: there are "trance-musik"- derived sounds, EG: the sampled tuvan 'throat-singers' and some other sustained tones normally associated w. "new-age" musiks; have you read [esp. the chapter: "Meeting The Man"] "Frank Zappa - The Negative Dialectics Of Poodle Play" by Ben Watson? I see that you have read some of his writing.  Also - I, too, am writing a book, similiar to yours; though a little less - re: the sociological ramifications; more on the musical content. I am a musician first, and only a 'writer' by way of self-defense; & in this case 'defense' of FZ. (more accurately: An Appreciation of the entire oeuvre; all of the albums thru Civilization Phaze III). Don't fret; tho' I will be glancing @ yer tome, I'd NEVER quote U directly sans 'express permission'.<br>PS: IF you are even remotely interested in combining forces, get back to me. Apparently I am somewhat stronger with the strictly musical aspect, and you have, clearly, a more thourough insider sort of background, from what I've glimpsed. At any rate, if you are still interested in getting the work published, I strongly suggest looking at publication in the UK. (I see the irony here, but a colleague tells me that in certain corners of the book-community there, writing on FZ will get read, almost regardless.)<br>mucho gracias<br>jCIVIL III   >[giannidalessismo@yahoo.com]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:13 pm 

In reply to, primarily: Dr Including: I agree with some but not most of of yer observations. The three works mentioned, I'd buy any way I am able, & I don't even have a job. I am a musician, shuffling along. [IE: if I could wangle an audition for Project/Object I'd go for that at once. They already have 3 guitar players, incl. Ike, so it don't appear feasible.] Yes, the '76 outfit was comparatively weak, but Napoleon was present, and Bozzio, so... I have 62 FZ albums - all but 2 of the Ryko post-'95 releases - + UMRK 01 & 03. I am jonesing for more [I even bought ..Healing Nicely]; I'm not certain I want to spend $32 + S&H + CA. sales tax (8.25% for mail-order) for the band featured on this. [though I suppose I'd prefer it, due to audio qulity, to the Beat The Boots CD of the '74 band @ U of Notre Dame playing some of the same material - IE: "Freak Out!" & "...Money" tunes. It would be of help if there was info Re: the content of whatever gets released; EIHN is growing on me, tho' I prob' wouldn't've spent $27.60 for a collection of rehearsal tapes of the Ensemble modern. [I guess I can rationalize this purchase by the fact there are the solos by Shankar and FZ on Strat Vindaloo.] The three you mentioned would, I suppose, be UMRK and not Vaulternative releases. NB: There must be a reason other than the FZT's reasons fror no mo' FZ in the stores; IE: Rykodisc. Although they, in 1996 put out Lather; while not bothering with Phaze III, ca, 1994. -?!-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:20 am 

Some good bootlegs to release would be:<br><br>- rot rats at the olympic<br>- Eyes of osaka<br>- Zerkon Music<br>- Remington Electric Razor<br><br><br>Buts that's just my opinion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:28 am 

There was also some type of "film" released in1970 called Burnt Weeny Sandwich.  Have no idea what it is, what it's about or anything.  RELEASE IT!!