Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ with Roland Kirk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:24 pm 

To my knowledge, FZ invited Roland Kirk to play with his teenage combo on two occasions, including once in Miami, at a festival (?). I'm not sure these concerts have been recorded. If the answer is YES, Gail, Dweezil, pleeeese release this material!!!

Post subject: re: fz with rr kirk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:31 am 

fz in new music magazine, apr '76 wrote:
question: i heard that in '69 you sat in with roland kirk

zappa: i met him at the backstage of boston jazz festival, and asked him to play together if he was interested in our music.  then, during our set, led by his attendant, he came up to the stage.  as you know, he's blind.  but his body understood all of our signals.  at one point, everybody in the band was supposed to get down on their back and kick their feet in the air while they still keep playing.  as soon as we got on our back, he also got his back.  when we got up, he also got up.  he grasped everything.  he is an excellent musician.  three weeks later, we played together again in florida jazz festival.

Quote:
fz and kirk played together at both the boston globe jazz festival (1/31/69) and the miami jazz festival (6/29/69).  and it's not far-fetched to imagine that they may have played together at some of the other jazz festivals of 1969. unfortunately, no recordings are in circulation.

i'm a huge roland fan, would love to get my hands on a remnant of these shows....i'm sure it's in the vault ::) & would be a great release; maybe throw some of the archie shepp tracks in for good measure &/or any unreleased brecker bros. tracks

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: FZ with Roland Kirk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:50 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#1 date=08/28/03 at 13:31:51]<br><br><br>i'm a huge roland fan, would love to get my hands on a remnant of these shows....i'm sure it's in the vault ::) & would be a great release; maybe throw some of the archie shepp tracks in for good measure &/or any unreleased brecker bros. tracks[/quote]<br> Man! I would love to hear this!!!!  ;D<br>Even better, is there video of this?<br>A buddy of mine saw Roland Kirk live. The crowd was<br>talkative and it pissed off Kirk. Kirk retaliated with one<br>LOUD note on his sax for 2 mins. The crowd shut up<br>and listened.  :D<br>  I'm a huge Rahsaan Roland Kirk fan! I'm torn between<br>what I like better, his sax or flute playing. What the heck....both were excellent!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:15 pm 

I only own one Roland Kirk CD, Volunteered Slavery, but like it very much indeed. I wouldn't complain if the Zappas released the tapes of the FZ/RK gigs  ;D<br><br>Gail, Dweezil, are you listening?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:53 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#3 date=08/29/03 at 20:15:10]I only own one Roland Kirk CD, Volunteered Slavery, but like it very much indeed. I wouldn't complain if the Zappas released the tapes of the FZ/RK gigs  ;D<br><br>Gail, Dweezil, are you listening?[/quote]<br><br>  Seek out "The Case of the Three Sided Audio Dream"<br>by Kirk. Excellent album!! <br>  Yes. If the shows exist, release them!  ;D

Post subject: re: fz with roland kirk
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:15 pm 

HoranceCornsnaps wrote:
 Seek out "The Case of the Three Sided Audio Dream"by Kirk. Excellent album!!

i have a vinyl copy of this gem...it's a double album but only 3 sides have music on them; the 4th side has a blank groove cut in it so you won't damage your stylus, anyway, great laid back version of the classics high heeled sneakers & bye bye blackbird plus some rare spoken dialog; also check out the inflated tear, another of roland's must-have's

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: fz with roland kirk
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:10 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#5 date=08/31/03 at 00:15:03]<br>i have a vinyl copy of this gem...it's a double album but only 3 sides have music on them; the 4[sup]th[/sup] side has a blank groove cut in it so you won't damage your stylus, anyway, great laid back version of the classics high heeled sneakers & bye bye blackbird plus some rare spoken dialog; also check out the inflated tear, another of roland's must-have's<br><br>[center]Image[/center][/quote]<br> Cool drawing! I am in desperate need to find that 2LP<br>on cd. I also have "The Inflated Tear." Another goody.<br> I lucked out with my Kirk lps, and all my jazz lps.<br>I got them from an ex- junkie who was "born again,"<br>and didn't want this "music of the devil" anymore.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:32 pm 

[quote author=HoranceCornsnaps link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#2 date=08/29/03 at 06:50:36]<br> Man! I would love to hear this!!!!  ;D<br>Even better, is there video of this?<br>A buddy of mine saw Roland Kirk live. The crowd was<br>talkative and it pissed off Kirk. Kirk retaliated with one<br>LOUD note on his sax for 2 mins. The crowd shut up<br>and listened.[/quote]<br>Do you know when this show was? Sounds like it could have been the inspiration for the title cut of "Weasels".<br>

Post subject: re: fz with rrkirk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:24 pm 

l. jon hubbub wrote:
Do you know when this show was? Sounds like it could have been the inspiration for the title cut of "Weasels".

guinness book of world records: kennyg won the official title for the longest sustained note after a 45-minute circular-breathing performance in '97, but those familiar with arcane jazz history know rahsaan kirk played a nonstop circular-breathing sax solo for two hours and 21 minutes in front of a roomful of witnesses in a london jazz club in the early '70s

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:43 pm 

[quote author=L. Jon Hubbub link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#7 date=09/05/03 at 17:32:27]<br>Do you know when this show was? Sounds like it could have been the inspiration for the title cut of "Weasels".<br>[/quote]<br>   I think it may have been 1969 or 1970 at the Fillmore<br>East NYC.<br>  Yeah it does. LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:46 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#8 date=09/06/03 at 01:24:35]<br><br>... rahsaan kirk played a nonstop circular-breathing sax solo for two hours and 21 minutes in front of a roomful of witnesses in a london jazz club in the early '70s<br><br>Image<br>[/quote]<br>  WHOA!  :o

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:30 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#8 date=09/06/03 at 01:24:35]<br><br>guinness book of world records: kennyG  ::) won the official title for the longest sustained note after a 45-minute circular-breathing performance in '97, but those familiar with arcane jazz history know rahsaan kirk played a nonstop circular-breathing sax solo for two hours and 21 minutes in front of a roomful of witnesses in a london jazz club in the early '70s<br>[/quote]<br>Now that's what I call the longest blow job in history.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:02 pm 

downbeat may 69

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:11 pm 

nice clipping slime<br><br>UBUWEB has a legit kirk/cage film from 1966 for download (309 megs)<br>http://www.ubu.com/film/<br><br>its quite mad, cage goes of on a tangent waxing lyrically about sound <br>kirk does his thing handing out toy whistles to an audience and plays 3 sax's at once <br><br>weird , wonderful and insane !<br><br>go get  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:34 am 

Thanks, gotta check that out. <br><br>I love Roland Kirk's music, I have a killer video from Italian TV somewhere with Rahsaan playing 3 saxes at once and doing an incredible solo on the nose flute. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:14 am 

I just read about this in Electric Don Quixote.....Would be great to hear.....I only have The Inflated Tear by RRK....its great though...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:27 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=0#14 date=11/09/05 at 05:34:13]I love Roland Kirk's music, I have a killer video from Italian TV somewhere with Rahsaan [...] doing an incredible solo on the nose flute. :)[/quote]<br><br>Check it out (limited offer..) click<br><br>You'll need some sort of recent DivX codec/player.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:53 pm 

stride wrote:
...UBUWEB has a legit kirk/cage film from 1966 for download (309 megs)
http://www.ubu.com/film/

its quite mad, cage goes of on a tangent waxing lyrically about sound
kirk does his thing handing out toy whistles to an audience and plays 3 sax's at once
weird , wonderful and insane !
go get  ;)

very cool video stri, thanks much; makes me wanna start a must have more stritch thread, or a must have more nose flute thread

for some reason, it only works by playing the video with divx & the sound track on mediaplayer

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: fz with roland kirk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:35 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1062041055;start=15#17 date=12/14/05 at 23:53:58]<br><br>for some reason, it only works by playing the video with divx & the sound track on mediaplayer<br>[/quote]<br><br>weird science ¿<br><br>i use winamp .. no probs there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:13 am 

Rahsaan on youtube<br><br>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-Gd-buULw&search=roland%20kirk<br><br>Wicked..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:13 am 

Rahsaan!!!!  If you can find 'em, then try 'Root Strata: Natural Black Inventions' (which features as the third disk in the excellent 'Dog Years in the Fourth Ring' CD compilation...) - & 'Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle' (which is one of the most amazing albums ever recorded...)<br><br>Emma<br><br>PS - I'm still looking for Swiss Cheese / Fire (original SOFA with Flo & Eddie...)   <br><br>PPS - the fourth side of The Three Sided Dream isn't entirely blank as any fule kno....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:50 am 

that is my kind of review.<br>thank you mr slime<br> ;D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:49 pm 

emma wrote:
...PPS - the fourth side of The Three Sided Dream isn't entirely blank as any fule kno....

maybe it's kirk doing 4:33

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.