Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:54 pm 

It might take a dozen gray attorneys, but this is an absolute MUST - the new FZ holy grail.<br><br>This album was fully sanctioned by FZ, and received a legitimate release in 1967 (briefly, in the doomed 4-track format only).  Much of its content was later incorporated into 'Lumpy Gravy' Mark II, but it does stand on its own as a completed work.  And it was deleted due to legal bullshit as opposed to an act of self-censure by FZ.<br><br>Did FZ want it released?  Yes.  Was it released?  Yes.  Why was it deleted?  Because of a legal dispute between Capitol and Verve.  That was 35 years ago for Christ's sake!  Let's complete the catalogue!!<br><br>More info (& pics!):<br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/lumpy_gravy.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:17 am 

Oh wow, that would make a GREAT CD release! Imagine a deluxe double CD reissue of Lumpy Gravy with the original album, this rare instrumental version, plus various outtakes and left-overs.

--------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:39 pm 

Good call, weirdomusic!<br><br>Also keep in mind that FZ prepared a Barrow/Wackerman-tweezed version of the Verve 'Lumpy Gravy' album, or parts of it at least.  Three minutes (3:01) of this version was released on the 'Old Masters Box One Sampler' LP - the sections indexed on the 1995 CD as "Almost Chinese", "Switching Girls" & "Oh No Again".  (More info @ w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/weirdo/samplers.html#oldmasters1)<br><br>So, we have the Capitol version, the Verve version, the Barrow/Wackerman version, and outtakes.  Sounds good to me!  Heck, I'd even pre-order one!<br><br>Check out these unpublished Capitol LP artwork fragments:<br>www.enzothebaker.com/lumpygravycapitollpartfragment1.jpg<br>www.enzothebaker.com/lumpygravycapitollpartfragment2.jpg<br><br>Pissing in the wind sure is fun, isn't it kids?  ::)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:57 am 

isn't the Captiol version significantly shorter than the Lumpy Gravy we all know and love? If it is too short maybe the best solution should be a Proto-Studioism collection of all the early Mothers' demos, session outtakes and alternate versions of albums, or at least enough to constitue a collection. I'm sure this would definitely be a highlight as well as a mix of WOIFTM demos with Lenny Bruce dialogue!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:58 pm 

YES,YES ,The Mascara Snake....let's see it on CD!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:43 pm 

This would be the same as was at one time released on the 8-track  cartridge format, yes? If no, anyone that sees this and knows otherwise post it, and I'll find it.<br>[civil]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:59 pm 

That would be cool. I would really like to hear the original Capitol (un)release

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:03 am 

I would think there are 5000-10000 people who would like that rereleased. Maybe a collecters limited edition is in order. I'de like it on vinyl myself

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:54 pm 

It would be great if this album made its way to CD.  But while we're all holding our breaths for that to happen, in the meantime you can do what I did and make your own CD of this using this handly link as a guide.  http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/Lumpy_Gravy.html<br>I simply downloaded the mp3s this link refers to, and used that along with my lumpy gravy CDs to create my own CD of it.  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:06 am 

[quote author=Jon.G link=board=wishList;num=1029833677;start=0#12 date=01/05/04 at 21:54:53]It would be great if this album made its way to CD.  But while we're all holding our breaths for that to happen, in the meantime you can do what I did and make your own CD of this using this handly link as a guide.  http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/Lumpy_Gravy.html<br>I simply downloaded the mp3s this link refers to, and used that along with my lumpy gravy CDs to create my own CD of it.  [/quote]<br><br>I've been able to find them both on several P2Ps, but the downloads never seemed to work. They just wouldn't start downloading.<br><br>Besides, the whole thing was featured for download on Kill Ugly Radio a few weeks ago. Not up there now, but...<br><br>I dug it. WHILE it was happening.<br>I'll upload it to BitTorrent tonight or some time this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:14 pm 

[quote author=Homsar link=board=wishList;num=1029833677;start=0#13 date=01/06/04 at 05:06:44]<br>I'll upload it to BitTorrent tonight or some time this week.[/quote]<br><br>And... done.<br>Just follow the same instructions here:<br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1073242759;start=0#0<br><br>Except download THIS torrent file, not the one in the other topic:<br>http://66.98.132.125:3703/torrent.html?info_hash=85a42b93ffb824cb15acf2820a4166e92bc105f7<br><br>Just click the link and the torrent file should download. Otherwise, use Download Link to Disk.<br><br>At just 20.7 MB, it's very reasonable.