Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roxy DVD?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:04 am 

Some time ago (a year? two years?) there were some comments from Gail in the FAQ on the main site concerning the up-and-coming Roxy-DVD. <br>These comments are not there anymore and from whatever I can see using the search function here and reading through whatever info I can find whilst googling there seems to be nothing more or nothing less than complete confusion regarding this release. <br>What's up? It has obviously been delayed. Has it been pulled completely? There was the little teaser (trailer) that I watched and drooled to, but since then...nothing...<br><br>What better place to ask than here? Can't think of any. <br>So, please, give me all the nitty-gritty on the pending (I hope) release of the Roxy show on DVD. <br><br>Hi, by the way, I'm Rune...<br>Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Roxy DVD?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:02 am 

Hi there and welcome to Zappa's Universe...<br><br>Well, there is that famous ROXY-Trailer on the new Baby Snakes DVD !!!<br><br>I can't imagine they put it on their simply as ''extra material'' of some sort...<br><br>I mean=by putting that trailer on that DVD you make US (FZ-fanatics) believe it's in the making and hopefully coming out somewhere in 2004 !!!<br><br>You can't put it on their and have people expect anything less then that !!!<br><br>But that's just this reporter's opinion...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:25 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=wishList;num=1070892252;start=0#1 date=12/12/03 at 05:02:44]<br>I mean=by putting that trailer on that DVD you make US (FZ-fanatics) believe it's in the making[/quote]<br><br><br>In the making?? The fucking thing has been READY since 1987 for fucks sake!<br>Having Baby Snakes on DVD is cool to finally have BUT and that's a big BUT...<br>The Roxy DVD should have been the 1st one they released. Most of us already have Baby Snakes (I paid the $80.00 for the 2 tape set in 1987  ;D)<br>As hardcores we wanted NEW never seen stuff. I have been drooling over that trailer for years now!!!<br><br>WHAT THE FUCK??!!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:17 am 

Being quite new to Zappa, Baby Snakes was only something I'd read about. So I got the DVD a.s.a.p. The Roxy trailer on there has made me think about saving £15 for when it's released. As if having Baby Snakes and Does Hunour Belong In Music wasn't enough?<br><br>What about 200 Motels, Uncle Meat and Dub Room Special? Will they get released?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:50 pm 

I also went and bought Baby Snakes dvd as soon as I heard it existed. <br> Mango. That Roxy dvd preview has everyone drooling to get their hands on ASAP.  ;D <br><br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:06 am 

They have us by the balls apparently.  I just can't figure out why they don't *COMMUNICATE*, you know?  They should have a section on the website called IN THE WORKS where they list everything that they are working on (for us to salivate over), their statuses (statusii?  ;)) and their estimated release dates.....<br><br>But you know as well as I that those release dates would keep getting pushed forward and forward and .... etc....<br><br>Although Frank changed his mind all of the time, one thing he NEVER did was *slack off* but it seems like that's what's happening with Roxy DVD  :-X<br><br>Hopefully Baby Snakes DVD sales will encourage them to start pumping out more.  I really think they did a great job with the 5:1 on Baby Snakes and the layout/presentation.  <br><br>Did they have anything to do with the creation of the "Does Humor" that's supposed to be coming out soon in the US?  If so, I'm *really* surprised that they would pick that release next.  Do they read these boards?  Do you see a slew of people saying "Gee, I can't wait for 'Does Humor...' to be released!  That is my favorite Zappa vid!" No......... but how many requests do you see for the Roxy DVD!?!?  Not to mention, they never even made a trailer/hype for the 'Does Humor...' release so why do you make a trailer for something only to ignore it and release others instead????  <br><br>Color me bamboozled,<br>Scott Fischer<br>Webmaster@babaganoo.com<br>Check out http://www.babaganoo.com and http://www.kbmusic.net<br>

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 am 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=wishList;num=1070892252;start=0#5 date=12/18/03 at 07:06:28]<br>They have us by the balls apparently.  I just can't figure out why they don't *COMMUNICATE*, you know?  They should have a section on the website called IN THE WORKS where they list everything that they are working on (for us to salivate over), their statuses (statusii?  ;)) and their estimated release dates.....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well... my nuts hurt!<br>They been holding up Trance Fusion for over 10 years now!!!<br>I have the last interview Frank ever did from June 1993 on a show called East Coast Live and he says the next guitar album is DONE and will be out in the next few months!! He talks about the Chunga Solo with Dweezil and about some of the other sources.<br>Maybe the fact that it was leaked they decided to say fuck it. But... we'd all still buy it if it came out.<br>Just the mother fucker out already!!!  ::) :'( >:(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:16 am 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=wishList;num=1070892252;start=0#5 date=12/18/03 at 07:06:28]They have us by the balls apparently.  I just can't figure out why they don't *COMMUNICATE*, you know?  They should have a section on the website called IN THE WORKS where they list everything that they are working on (for us to salivate over), their statuses (statusii?  ;)) and their estimated release dates.....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well... my nuts hurt! <br>They been holding up Trance Fusion for over 10 years now!!! <br>I have the last interview Frank ever did from June 1993 on a show called East Coast Live and he says the next guitar album is DONE and will be out in the next few months!! He talks about the Chunga Solo with Dweezil and about some of the other sources. <br>Maybe the fact that it was leaked they decided to say fuck it. But... we'd all still buy it if it came out. <br>Just the mother fucker out already!!!   >:( ::) :'(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:34 am 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=wishList;num=1070892252;start=0#5 date=12/18/03 at 07:06:28] Did they have anything to do with the creation of the "Does Humor" that's supposed to be coming out soon in the US?[/quote]<br><br>Nope.  That's being brought out by EMI.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:25 am 

When will these video's be released?<br><br>The ultimate question w/no apparent answers.<br><br>I don't want to give shit to anyone at zappa.com but while Frank was still alive he always had "Barfko-Swill"<br>up & running at 100%! Since his death(R.I.P.)things have changed 'for the worse' mightily! I was only able to afford 5 of the vhs releases before FZ died. Since Gail took over the opperation, the video's have been 'promised' to see dvd release over & over again!<br><br> Christ, it took what 11 years for "Baby Snakes" to FINALLY become a dvd reality!? Now we all get to see a 'preview' of the delicious looking & sounding "Roxy" performance(s)that advertise an incredible 4 hour length!<br><br> Since I have "The Dub Room Special" on vhs that Frank<br>sent me, I cannot wait to get my hands on "ROXY"!! The "Dub Room Special" gives some insight into a performance by the same "Mothers" except Ralph Humphrey, & out of the many bands I loved seeing live<br>FZ toured with, "The Mothers" (w/Ralph-Chester-Nappy-Ruth-Tom-George & FZ )IS 1 of MY ALL TIME FAVES!(Probably only the 88 band was better?)<br><br> Please, for anyone at Zappa.com that reads this(does anyone?)make the next dvd release "ROXY"!!<br><br> This should have happened way before "Does Humor Belong In Music"(another 1 I have on vhs)and ALL of the great Zappa video's NEED to be released!! Of course everyone that visit's Zappa.com would buy them<br>all! (One helluva' bold prediction, heh? Duh!)<br><br> Now give us "ROXY" before everyone gives up on you Gail! I add please to attempt to let you know I DO appreciate the work it takes to run the "ZFT", but come on, 11 fucking years to get 1 dvd out! ???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:28 am 

"The Keeper of the Flame" interview with Gail Zappa in Mojo magazine january 2004:<br><br>Also just released is the Ensemble Modern on RCA playing the music of Frank Zappa. Another classical project is a documentary made by dutch film maker Frank Scheffer. He wants to make a film about Frank the composer. We are just trying to raise the money and finish it as a feature film by the end of next year!<br><br>Further audio releases include the much noted Trance-Fusion and Dance me This sets.<br><br>Then there is two CD/Film projects, the first a collection of of Frank's performances of composer Edgar varèse, the second a new version of 1974's Roxy and Elsewhere live set.<br><br>The Roxy is archive footage with all the material Frank allready mixed. There is a whole other cd, but the problem is that there is no synchronisation. It took a lot of money to put it together. Now we have 4 hours of raw footage to deal with. We have just started going thru (tapes of ) interviews so now we have Frank telling us what we should do with certain things. He is still the boss!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:07 am 

UNICA !<br><br>YOU MADE MY DAY !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:06 pm 

;)<br><br>I'm hoping for Roxy as well. That, and I'm glad to have Baby Snakes on DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:27 am 

Wow. Four hours of raw footage... I'm getting all nervous now. UNICA, thanks for the info. Great stuff. Now it's just to sit back and wait. Finally some kind of confirmation that things are happening to the Roxy movie.<br>Happy new year to all, btw.<br>Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:23 pm 

Man, I wish that was released soon... ::)