Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Acoustic Frank!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am 

How come nobodys talked about "aybe sea"?<br><br>Thats WAY better then Sleep Dirt, any day of the week

Post subject: Re: acoustic bootleg?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:26 am 

[quote author=_bb_ link=board=wishList;num=1032807787;start=0#11 date=10/09/02 at 09:50:25]ah hardcore zappa-fan & recordstore owner told me he once heard a bootleg of an entire acoustic-set bootleg.<br>regretfully, he couldn't tell me more.<br><br>does anyone know about this? <br>maybe there're some things of this sort in the Vault, it could be a nice thematic release...[/quote]<br>there's no such thing.  i've been collecting FZ boots like a horny ape for over 20 years and i've never heard of anything the likes of what you have described.  i'm not even aware of a tape of this sort in circulation.  god would i love to be proved wrong though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:13 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=wishList;num=1032807787;start=30#33 date=11/14/02 at 10:35:38]I agree, Shiborugu. "Aybe Sea" is an absolutely  breathtaking little song, with Frank on steel-stringed acoustic guitar and Ian Underwood on piano, creating an extremely original sound. It does conjure seafaring images, but the title's a clever spelling of the first three letters of the alphabet (like I needed to point that out).<br><br>Beauty-wise, it's up there with "Twenty Small Cigars" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay."<br><br>CF<br>[/quote]<br>i couldn't agree more.  Aybe Sea is one of my all-time favorites.  i think FZ's intimate duet or trio tracks are some of the best in the catalogue.  Aybe Sea, Twenty Small Cigars, Sleep Dirt, Canard Du Jour...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:48 am 

Yep agree with you all there, Franks acoustic playing was fantastic, Aybe sea/my guitar/Sleep dirt/ all great. Did he use a metal pick for his acoustic playing cos is style sounds very unique?

Post subject: re: acoustic frank!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:51 pm 

anyone hear (or hear of) zappa playing acoustic guitar in concert?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:23 pm 

Just to say that there is a very nice acoustic version of Sofa on Kazaa & Winmx dont know who is playing it, but it is worth a listen all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:51 pm 

Let's not forget Stucco Homes from ROTSOSUNPYG; kinda reminds me of Nine Types Industrial Pollution (Uncle Meat).<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:05 am 

[quote author=mr_myxyltpyx link=board=wishList;num=1032807787;start=30#34 date=06/02/03 at 15:23:13]Just to say that there is a very nice acoustic version of Sofa on Kazaa & Winmx dont know who is playing it, but it is worth a listen all the same.[/quote]<br>That is Michael Hedges who got to play it for Frank a few months before he died. Michael Hedges was killed in a car accident a few years after this. Dweezil did a song called "Secret Hedges" as a tribute on his CD "Automatic".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:17 am 

Another good acoustic moment is the first half of "Project X" on "Uncle Meat" before it becomes more avant-garde. It is a very simple strum underpinning some neato woodwinds. "Sleep Dirt" is my favorite. I downloaded the tabulature to it so I can torture myself and another victim to play it perfectly, of course!Masochism lives!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:52 am 

I, too, am into self torture.  From where did you download the SD tab?<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject: re: acoustic frank!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:16 pm 

anyone seen this: norman gunston tv show, australian, 4 min<br><br>
Quote:
From: Brian Lagerman (lagz[at]erols.com): Frank plays acoustic guitar while Norman plays harmonica
<br><br>
Quote:
From: Bil Hansen (bilh[at]pd.jaring.my)<br>NG was a character, running a tv talk show that was broadcast nationally in Aus, famous for his irreverent humour and satirising the lounge-act talk shows then fashionable. NG was noted for asking guests, including visiting performers, hard questions probing trendy gossip.<br><br>FZ accepted the invitation to appear on NG's show in 76. At the end of the interview, NG pulled out his harmonica and offered to jam with FZ. FZ, seemingly thinking that NG was a lightweight, obliged and was then taken aback when the two of them pulled off a respectable musical moment or two.
<br> <br>
Quote:
From: Zank Frappa, January 24, 2002<br>You obviously know more about this subject than I do, but I do have to take issue with this comment. I have a video snippet of this performance, and NG comes across as a fool. FZ comes across as thinking he's a fool, and the musical performance is rather lame. Still an amusing bit of history though

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:17 am 

Don't forget the amazing acoustic guitar work on THE OCEAN IS THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION......This is FZ acoustic at his finest!

somehow...

Post subject: Re: ow!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:51 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1032807787;start=30#37 date=08/25/04 at 16:16:41]anyone seen this: norman gunston tv show, australian, 4 min[/quote]<br>Yep. The sort of 'best of' vid. 'The Gunston Tapes' used to sell around my local shopping centres (this is where i purchased mine) for a couple-a-bucks. It is truly fantastic and was the only official Gunston released item to contain the interveiw. Well there is another point to this posts beside telling you I have seen it. It is now available on DVD, and is selling at my local music store...but, lotta good that does anyone else, right? But who  knows...maybe it will be available internationaly... ::) (yeah right)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:54 pm 

if you re-arrange-subtract multiply and divide some of the letters of acoustic Frank, you can nearly make ustinkfrank  ::)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:55 pm 

Forgot to mention...its a fuckin killer interveiw! And a fuckin killer jam!