Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sheik Yerbouti
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:50 pm 

Hi, <br> <br>Will we ever see another *full* version of Sheik Yerbouti on CD, like the old EMI release? (One that has everything that the original vinyl release had on it - and sounds as good, too.)   ???<br> <br>Thanks!  <br> <br>Bob

Post subject: Re: Sheik Yerbouti
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:35 pm 

I can't complain because the EMI CD is the only one that I have  ;D<br>That said, I don't understand why the ZFT hasn't released a full (and I mean: full) version of this ceedee just yet  ??? Dweezil, are you listening?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:39 pm 

This is the first i've heard of Two differnet Sheik Yerbouti's. <br><br>Whats the difference?

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:15 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=0#3 date=10/27/03 at 00:39:25]This is the first i've heard of Two differnet Sheik Yerbouti's. <br><br>Whats the difference?[/quote]<br><br>Check THIS LINK out for more details.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:23 am 

Thanx Billy. Theres alot to take in there. I know where theres a vinyl copy that i just might buy.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:57 pm 

YEAH I have an interesting opinion on this! First: are you referring to the 1990 Ryko? Because the 1990 - ANY circa 1990 CD WILL SOUND WORSE; THIS IS A FACT OF THE TECHNOLOGY. I owned the vinyl LP. It was one of the seminal musical experiences of my life. I also own the 1995 CD - It's the same music it's the same quality. Except? The CD sounds better. USE YOUR EARS not your emotions, or your EYES or whatever it is that gives you the idea that some combination of "TITLES ON THE BACK COVER" plus cardbaord and vinyl has ANY INTRINSIC VALUE!!!! what a load of shite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:08 am 

That is not true..Frank fucked up some cd releases like sleep Dirt WITH vocals..I bought Sleep Dirt when it came out and it is the best version so far. Also he managed to release Hot rats and Weasels ripped my flesh in different versions..why he did that? We will never know but the vinyls are much better in these cases! ::)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:01 am 

Vinyl fer sher. The sound on lp's is always better. Cd's are processed too much.......rip copies from your lp's to cd and THEN compare. The lp rips always have a deep, full sound, cd's are snappy when it comes to kick drum and bass.<br>  FZ was a capitolist. He also understood the Zappaheads looked for little details, and in changing the releases for cd, he created very collectable lp's.<br>  Hot Rats has differences, Cruisin....,Freak Out.....and many more.<br>  Of course we won't see this concept with the new Baby Snakes DVD, and that is shameful. I don't think that is the way FZ would have released it onto DVD.<br>  ZFT should follow Frank's trend, when re-releasing Frank Zappa material, in any format, extra's should be included

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:42 am 

some vinyl sounds better, some don't. Chunga's Revenge CD is an abominable sounding thing. Didn't translate to CD; mny Cds are overly compressed; this is generally to give an illusion af more low end. That sid, i'll say it agein most CDs after1995, and virtaully all Cds made today sound as good if not beter thatn the originals. Some t;hings never will. I cannot imagine owning a vinyl record for yrs and yrs and still being able to hear much of anything. EG: I wore out my copy of Sheik Yerbouti sometime in early 1980.  Do you really PLAY these records or just look at 'em? Just putting the needle to groove will eventually wear them out. And maybe some people have enough space and enough time on their hands to devote to such a fetish. i like to listen to the music. Sure, I keep the little cd covers, and album covers are really nice artifacts. i don't have the space for 'em [I don't even have the space for the jewel cases for the Ryko releases.]. Fine if you have this particular POV. Blanket satements like 'vinyl is better' no matter what the item, are not especially valid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:20 pm 

well, I have 'em all on vinyl. I bought 'em new, recorded 'em and placed em in the rack.<br>  I have all the cd's.<br>I even bought all the cassettes, and their are differences among all of the formats. Some are the mixes, some differences involve an added instrument, or the absence of one, or different vocal mixes. It goes on and on with FZs work.<br>  An lp, casette and cd of the same album may reveal differences on all three fronts<br><br>I haven't played a cd that has sounded as good, or better than the full sound of an lp.

Post subject: re: shrek yerbouti
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:10 am 

[center]Image<br>[sup]clik me[/sup][/center]

Post subject: Re: shrek yerbouti
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:19 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=0#12 date=09/30/04 at 07:10:14][center]Image<br>[sup]clik me[/sup][/center][/quote]<br><br><br>That is too fucking great hehe <br>It is now set as my wall paper here at work.  :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:16 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=0#4 date=10/27/03 at 04:15:48]<br><br>Check THIS LINK out for more details.<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks for the link Billy. SY has never been one of my favourite FZ albums, but I would like to hear this EMI version, having had the Zappa Records version for many years now........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:34 am 

<br><br>I tried that link and it doesn't work for me,<br><br>What I did notice about the songs on the CD version is that "I'm So Cute" is cut short. Aside from the sound quality what else did I miss?<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:43 am 

That link is to the old location of "The Zappa Patio".<br>Here's an updated link for the page you're looking for: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/sheik_yerbouti.html<br><br>The Zappa Patio is a great place to find out tiny details about the FZ discography.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:06 pm 

Well, I just got his cd, this week and I love it. The whole thing is excellent from start to finish. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:47 pm 

I haven't listened to the LP version in a couple years, I guess.<br><br>Time to WHIP IT OUT!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:55 pm 

[quote author=trendm0nger link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=15#19 date=11/17/04 at 19:47:57]I haven't listened to the LP version in a couple years, I guess.<br><br>Time to WHIP IT OUT!![/quote]<br>Hum Hum Lheik Herbuti isn't up to yiu since cuple yers, aaah.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:23 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=0#4 date=10/27/03 at 04:15:48]<br><br>Check THIS LINK out for more details.<br>[/quote]<br><br>In case the link hasn't been updated, try here, or just google for sheik_yerbouti.html<br><br>Bummer, I never knew there was a difference. I have the original ryko version, which I'm sure I got the day it was released. I don't recall one having been available prior to that (the EMI release), but I guess I just wasn't paying attention or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:04 am 

the best thing with cds is that you can actually store so many is such a little place.<br><br>Well, yeah, oh, sheik yerbouti.<br><br>Uhm, good album, good music, even non zappa fans have the album around here in sweden, since it's a classic.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:56 am 

I'll take vinyl over a cd ANY day !<br>You can't get a " warm " sound from a cd like you can from vinyl. And believe me , my McIntosh equipment is top notch. <br>But then again . I'm an old fart that was weened on vinyl. The 1st cds I bought were crap and while they have come a long way - you can't compress stuff without comprimizing something.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:21 pm 

[quote author=pedro1 link=board=wishList;num=1065916246;start=15#23 date=11/24/04 at 13:56:37]I'll take vinyl over a cd ANY day !<br>You can't get a " warm " sound from a cd like you can from vinyl. And believe me , my McIntosh equipment is top notch. <br>But then again . I'm an old fart that was weened on vinyl. The 1st cds I bought were crap and while they have come a long way - you can't compress stuff without comprimizing something.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Except CDs are not compressed. The sound on a CD exists in an uncompressed digital format. I've not listened to a vinyl record in many years (I don't even own a turntable anymore), but I can say I've never really had a problem with the sound of CDs. <br><br>Each to his own, I suppose.<br><br>BTW, nice pic Pedro. You could never get that with a CD collection.