Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Halloween '78
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:01 pm 

As much as I enjoyed "Halloween DVD-A," I hope the ZFT plans on releasing more material from this series of concerts in the future.<br><br>Here are some ideas which I hope the ZFT will take into consideration:<br><br>1. Release all the material as a "Joe's Corsage" or "YCDTOSA" type series.  It could be called "The Big One"-vol 1, 2, 3, etc.  Since the ZFT may be starting a subscription series, this would be a good way of satisfying that "5 releases a year" obligation.<br><br>2.  Release a five-CD set entitled once again "The Big One" comprising some of the best moments from all of the concerts.  This should include the material from the "Halloween DVD-A" since it hasn't been released on CD yet.  The good thing about this is it would get rid of us having to listen to "Honey Don't you want a man like me" and songs of its type 5 or six times and it would be less expensive to produce.  The problem with this is that there are many good versions of songs like "City of Tiny LIghts" "13" etc. and it would be nice to have all of them.  Furthermore, the ZFT would be more likely to hear bitching from certain Zappa fans who want everything to be complete.  In a fit of obsession, I put together a five CD edit tape of material from these shows and it flows pretty well.  <br><br>3.  Start another series just of Halloween concerts throughout the years and release ever Halloween concert Zappa ever performed of which there is a usable recording! If the ZFT does this, I may die from happiness!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:17 pm 

[quote author=Jeff link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#0 date=07/18/04 at 16:01:39]....  <br><br>3.  Start another series just of Halloween concerts throughout the years and release ever Halloween concert Zappa ever performed of which there is a usable recording! If the ZFT does this, I may die from happiness![/quote]
  • 31-oct 1972, capitol theatre, passaic, nj
    • early show: 75 min, aud, b <br>
    • late show: 100 min, aud, b/b-<br>
    <br>
  • 31-oct 1973, auditorium theater, chicago, il early show: 90 min, aud, b <br><br>
  • 31-oct 1974, felt forum, nyc
    • early show: 111 min, aud, a-/b+
    • late show: 124 min, aud, a- w/ lance loud (*)
    <br>
  • 31-oct 1975, felt forum, nyc
    • early show: 119 min, aud, b+
    • late show: 139 min, aud, a-/b+
    <br>
  • 31-oct 1976, felt forum, nyc <br>
    • early show: 110 min, aud, a-
    • late show: 130 min, aud, b+
    <br>
  • 31-oct 1977, palladium, nyc 180 min, aud, b/b-<br><br>
  • 31-oct 1978, palladium, nyc 235 min, aud, b+ <br><br>
  • 31-oct 1980, palladium, nyc 135 min, aud, b/b- <br><br>
  • 31-oct 1981, palladium, nyc
    • early show: 135 min, sbd, a-
    • late show: 133 min, aud, b/c+
    <br>
  • 31-oct 1984, felt forum, nyc
    • early show: 90 min, aud, b
    • late show: 110 min, aud, a-
<br><br>[font=arial black]33 hrs/36 min; about 25 cd's[/font]

Post subject: Re: Halloween '78
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:14 pm 

hmm, maybe my idea wasn't feasible; however, I'm sure the ZFT doesn't have good sound quality recordings of all of these concerts (that might knock it down to a respectable 18 CD's)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:06 am 

[quote author=Jeff link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#0 date=07/18/04 at 16:01:39]As much as I enjoyed "Halloween DVD-A," I hope the ZFT plans on releasing more material from this series of concerts in the future.<br><br>Here are some ideas which I hope the ZFT will take into consideration:<br><br>1. Release all the material as a "Joe's Corsage" or "YCDTOSA" type series.  It could be called "The Big One"-vol 1, 2, 3, etc.  Since the ZFT may be starting a subscription series, this would be a good way of satisfying that "5 releases a year" obligation.<br><br>2.  Release a five-CD set entitled once again "The Big One" comprising some of the best moments from all of the concerts.  This should include the material from the "Halloween DVD-A" since it hasn't been released on CD yet.  The good thing about this is it would get rid of us having to listen to "Honey Don't you want a man like me" and songs of its type 5 or six times and it would be less expensive to produce.  The problem with this is that there are many good versions of songs like "City of Tiny LIghts" "13" etc. and it would be nice to have all of them.  Furthermore, the ZFT would be more likely to hear bitching from certain Zappa fans who want everything to be complete.  In a fit of obsession, I put together a five CD edit tape of material from these shows and it flows pretty well.  <br><br>3.  Start another series just of Halloween concerts throughout the years and release ever Halloween concert Zappa ever performed of which there is a usable recording! If the ZFT does this, I may die from happiness![/quote]<br><br>Jeff. Let me start off by saying that you are...<br>A BIG FUCKING MORON!!  ;D<br><br>We want COMPLETE shows. No more comps.<br>Notice how I indicate COMPLETE? <br>We don't need anymore fucking partial shit like that horrible Halloween 1978 DVD-A abortion!!<br><br>WE WANT FULL SHOWS!!! No more live comps. YCDTOSA is over. And Beat The Boots was for fun but a waste.  Complete shows is what we crazy fuckers want and WILL pay for. Stuff that has not been heard before except maybe in our tape trading circuit... Do we need another version of He's So Gay from 1984 or Cosmic Debris and Stinkfoot from 1974?? Fuck NO!!  <br>Minimal packaging and liners notes available on the site that's all ya need. <br>The other thing is that Barfko has always been kinda cheezy and half-assed. They need to call up Fripp and get ideas on how to operate a real mail order company and then maybe we'll finally get some good shit!!!! <br>Do it, do it!!<br><br>###WHY THE HALLOWEEN DVD-A SUCKS BALLS!###<br><br>OK... I am going to to try and be positive here. I will list good points and bad points. Don't get me wrong here... As a life long freak I am happy it's out but the ZFT is always short changing us freaks in some way. <br>I already have all the Halloween '78 shows on tapes and know what to expect musiclly so I will focus on the complete project here. <br> <br>The Good... <br>1 - It's an official release that's out and a good thing by FZ standards. Glad to have it. <br> <br>2 - Worth it alone for the full version of Ancient Armaments and the Black/Horsie combo. <br> <br>The Bad... <br>1 - Another incomplete release mixing multiple nights performances. I would have rather have had a 3 CD set of the complete 10/31/78 show. <br> <br>2 - Song selection is 70% material that has been released so many other times and they don't have any  real "suprizes" to warrant release. <br> <br>3 - The Suicide Chump video is AWESOME but... once again we are being teased. Put out the FULL VIDEO!!<br> <br>4 - Dancin' Fool clip from SNL 1978... big deal!! I have the complete SNL shows from 1976 and 1978 already. <br> <br>5 - DVD-A format: who gives a fuck anyway!! The regular Stereo sounds fine to me. Plus these DVD-As are still a new format and it makes this release a little less approachable to the casual fan. It kinda makes it a freaks only kinda thing but the freaks want more. Double edge sword here!! Nobody wins. ZFT do ya hear me?? <br> <br>6 - It has always been argued that these were the best shows FZ ever played. Not to me!! I am a big fan of the 1977 Halloween shows myself. Just watch Baby Snakes and you'll see what I mean. That shit is outrageous!! I think the performances here are dull as shit and so is the crowd. Some of the really good stuff that is so killer is left off anyway. That's why releasing the full show would have been better. More variety (see #2 and #3) <br> <br>All in all I think it's great but I would have rather had the ZFT focus more on getting something like THE COMPLETE 1977 HALLOWEEN Shows and THE ROXY DVD rather then farting around with this new DVD-A technology. Plus... how long have we been waiting for THE ROXY? LONG!! The ZFT would sell a shitload of THE ROXY DVD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:26 pm 
Banned

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#3 date=07/30/04 at 07:06:25]Jeff. Let me start off by saying that you are...<br>A BIG FUCKING MORON!![/quote]<br><br>And you're not?

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:25 am 

Jaypunk<br><br>I specifically listed that the ZFT should release the COMPLETE concert series first, and then listed the compilation as a back-up idea unless they didn't come through with the COMPLETE idea.<br><br>Also, I disagree that the Halloween 77 shows are better.  Even if you enjoy the 77 band better or the set list, the 77 shows basically play the same stuff every night (except the the concert on the 30th, which in my opinion is an essential release.)  The 78 series plays a whole range of different material; therefore, releasing the entire series is a more important consideration for the ZFT.

Post subject: re: halloween '78
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:01 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:01 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#3 date=07/30/04 at 07:06:25]<br><br>Jeff. Let me start off by saying that you are...<br>A BIG FUCKING MORON!!  ;D<br><br>We want COMPLETE shows. No more comps.<br>Notice how I indicate COMPLETE? <br>We don't need anymore fucking partial shit like that horrible Halloween 1978 DVD-A abortion!!<br><br>WE WANT FULL SHOWS!!! No more live comps. YCDTOSA is over. And Beat The Boots was for fun but a waste.  Complete shows is what we crazy fuckers want and WILL pay for. Stuff that has not been heard before except maybe in our tape trading circuit... Do we need another version of He's So Gay from 1984 or Cosmic Debris and Stinkfoot from 1974?? Fuck NO!!  <br>Minimal packaging and liners notes available on the site that's all ya need. <br>The other thing is that Barfko has always been kinda cheezy and half-assed. They need to call up Fripp and get ideas on how to operate a real mail order company and then maybe we'll finally get some good shit!!!! <br>Do it, do it!!<br><br>###WHY THE HALLOWEEN DVD-A SUCKS BALLS!###<br><br>OK... I am going to to try and be positive here. I will list good points and bad points. Don't get me wrong here... As a life long freak I am happy it's out but the ZFT is always short changing us freaks in some way. <br>I already have all the Halloween '78 shows on tapes and know what to expect musiclly so I will focus on the complete project here. <br> <br>The Good... <br>1 - It's an official release that's out and a good thing by FZ standards. Glad to have it. <br> <br>2 - Worth it alone for the full version of Ancient Armaments and the Black/Horsie combo. <br> <br>The Bad... <br>1 - Another incomplete release mixing multiple nights performances. I would have rather have had a 3 CD set of the complete 10/31/78 show. <br> <br>2 - Song selection is 70% material that has been released so many other times and they don't have any  real "suprizes" to warrant release. <br> <br>3 - The Suicide Chump video is AWESOME but... once again we are being teased. Put out the FULL VIDEO!!<br> <br>4 - Dancin' Fool clip from SNL 1978... big deal!! I have the complete SNL shows from 1976 and 1978 already. <br> <br>5 - DVD-A format: who gives a fuck anyway!! The regular Stereo sounds fine to me. Plus these DVD-As are still a new format and it makes this release a little less approachable to the casual fan. It kinda makes it a freaks only kinda thing but the freaks want more. Double edge sword here!! Nobody wins. ZFT do ya hear me?? <br> <br>6 - It has always been argued that these were the best shows FZ ever played. Not to me!! I am a big fan of the 1977 Halloween shows myself. Just watch Baby Snakes and you'll see what I mean. That shit is outrageous!! I think the performances here are dull as shit and so is the crowd. Some of the really good stuff that is so killer is left off anyway. That's why releasing the full show would have been better. More variety (see #2 and #3) <br> <br>All in all I think it's great but I would have rather had the ZFT focus more on getting something like THE COMPLETE 1977 HALLOWEEN Shows and THE ROXY DVD rather then farting around with this new DVD-A technology. Plus... how long have we been waiting for THE ROXY? LONG!! The ZFT would sell a shitload of THE ROXY DVD.[/quote]<br><br>I agree with jaypfunk on all accounts.<br><br>I'm just not as militant about it.  ;D  :'(

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:55 am 

[quote author=Jeff link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#0 date=07/18/04 at 16:01:39]As much as I enjoyed "Halloween DVD-A," I hope the ZFT plans on releasing more material from this series of concerts in the future.<br><br>Here are some ideas which I hope the ZFT will take into consideration:<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I presented Gail with Halloween BOX SET Concept entitled<br><br>"Happy Halloween Everybody" <br>back in the 90's.<br><br>Obviously Halloween was Franks Favorite Holliday so we could expect that the theme will be used again.<br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 am 

there's some good bootlegs,of the halloween n.y.c. shows 78,i just got one from e-bay, it's a triple c.d. limited to 500 copies on moustache's magic music,(m.m.m.-02). it's the complete show from the palladium 31/10/78. so untill the zft decide to release the offical full show version,i'll make have to make do with this

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:53 am 

[quote author=vivien oblivion link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#9 date=09/13/05 at 14:49:31]there's some good bootlegs,of the halloween n.y.c. shows 78,i just got one from e-bay, it's a triple c.d. limited to 500 copies on moustache's magic music,(m.m.m.-02). it's the complete show from the palladium 31/10/78. [/quote]<br><br>In the YEAR 2005 there is NO reason to buy bootlegs anymore. Get the shit for FREE here:<br><br>http://www.zappateers.com<br><br> ::)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:05 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#10 date=09/13/05 at 14:53:26]<br><br>In the YEAR 2005 there is NO reason to buy bootlegs anymore. Get the shit for FREE here:<br><br>http://www.zappateers.com<br><br> ::)[/quote]<br><br>this is very true,and i do get a lot of bootleg stuff from the internet,but im just a sucker for all the bootlegs and like to get them whenever i find them,this may seem strange !but how many people still buy allbums when they are virtually obsolete?,or how many people purchased the ryko disc re-issues when they allready had the zappa c.d(and probably the l.p)?..it's no stranger than that, :-*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:06 pm 

:o i guess i'm just a bootleg junkie :o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:16 pm 

[quote author=vivien oblivion link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#12 date=09/15/05 at 18:06:28] :o i guess i'm just a bootleg junkie :o[/quote]<br><br>Lay off the smack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:51 pm 

[quote author=Trendmonger link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#8 date=05/28/05 at 04:55:46]<br><br>I presented Gail with Halloween BOX SET Concept entitled<br><br>"Happy Halloween Everybody" <br>back in the 90's.<br><br>Obviously Halloween was Franks Favorite Holliday so we could expect that the theme will be used again.<br>[/quote]<br><br>While this would be one way to Crush All Boxes I question weather it would be proper to speculate what the ZFT have planned when it has been recently revealed from a supposed E-mail that there are plans to Crush All Boxes.<br><br>I will tell you that the Happy Halloween Everybody concept is one of the many topics that Joe Travers and I are discussing for No Time Fo Losers Phase II.<br><br>Folks there are lot's of good things in store!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:52 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=0#3 date=07/30/04 at 07:06:25]<br><br>Jeff. Let me start off by saying that you are...<br>A BIG FUCKING MORON!!  ;D<br><br>We want COMPLETE shows. No more comps.<br>Notice how I indicate COMPLETE? <br>We don't need anymore fucking partial shit like that horrible Halloween 1978 DVD-A abortion!!<br><br>WE WANT FULL SHOWS!!! No more live comps. YCDTOSA is over. And Beat The Boots was for fun but a waste.  Complete shows is what we crazy fuckers want and WILL pay for. Stuff that has not been heard before except maybe in our tape trading circuit... Do we need another version of He's So Gay from 1984 or Cosmic Debris and Stinkfoot from 1974?? Fuck NO!!  <br>Minimal packaging and liners notes available on the site that's all ya need. <br>The other thing is that Barfko has always been kinda cheezy and half-assed. They need to call up Fripp and get ideas on how to operate a real <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=mail%20order&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: mail order'; self.ql_skeyphrase='mail%20order'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='mail%20order'; window.status='Search for: mail order';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">mail order</a> company and then maybe we'll finally get some good shit!!!! <br>Do it, do it!!<br><br>###WHY THE HALLOWEEN DVD-A SUCKS BALLS!###<br><br>OK... I am going to to try and be positive here. I will list good points and bad points. Don't get me wrong here... As a life long freak I am happy it's out but the ZFT is always short changing us freaks in some way. <br>I already have all the Halloween '78 shows on tapes and know what to expect musiclly so I will focus on the complete project here. <br> <br>The Good... <br>1 - It's an official release that's out and a good thing by FZ standards. Glad to have it. <br> <br>2 - Worth it alone for the full version of Ancient Armaments and the Black/Horsie combo. <br> <br>The Bad... <br>1 - Another incomplete release mixing multiple nights performances. I would have rather have had a 3 CD set of the complete 10/31/78 show. <br> <br>2 - Song selection is 70% material that has been released so many other times and they don't have any  real "suprizes" to warrant release. <br> <br>3 - The Suicide Chump video is AWESOME but... once again we are being teased. Put out the FULL VIDEO!!<br> <br>4 - Dancin' Fool clip from SNL 1978... big deal!! I have the complete SNL shows from 1976 and 1978 already. <br> <br>5 - DVD-A format: who gives a fuck anyway!! The regular Stereo sounds fine to me. Plus these DVD-As are still a new format and it makes this release a little less approachable to the casual fan. It kinda makes it a freaks only kinda thing but the freaks want more. Double edge sword here!! Nobody wins. ZFT do ya hear me?? <br> <br>6 - It has always been argued that these were the best shows FZ ever played. Not to me!! I am a big fan of the 1977 Halloween shows myself. Just watch Baby Snakes and you'll see what I mean. That shit is outrageous!! I think the performances here are dull as shit and so is the crowd. Some of the really good stuff that is so killer is left off anyway. That's why releasing the full show would have been better. More variety (see #2 and #3) <br> <br>All in all I think it's great but I would have rather had the ZFT focus more on getting something like THE COMPLETE 1977 HALLOWEEN Shows and THE ROXY DVD rather then farting around with this new DVD-A technology. Plus... how long have we been waiting for THE ROXY? LONG!! The ZFT would sell a shitload of THE ROXY DVD.[/quote]<br>I agree with everything that you say on this. Plus, I thing they should do what zappa was gonna do w/ the rock songs on Lather, PUT THE CROWD PLEASER TYPE STUFF ON A BONUS DISC ALONG WITH THE COMPLETE SHOW. THE BONUS DISC COULD BE DVD-A SINCE IT'S NOT TOO IMPORTANT<br><br><br><br>MY 2.5 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:58 pm 
Banned

[center][quote author=Fredo_Again link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#15 date=09/21/05 at 19:52:56]I agree with everything that you say on this.[/quote]<br><br>I'm sorry that I ever supported you, Fredo/Peaches/SPKersevan.<br><br> ;)[/center]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:11 pm 

[quote author=Fredo_Again link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#15 date=09/21/05 at 19:52:56]<br>I agree with everything that you say on this. Plus, I thing they should do what zappa was gonna do w/ the rock songs on Lather, PUT THE CROWD PLEASER TYPE STUFF ON A BONUS DISC ALONG WITH THE COMPLETE SHOW. THE BONUS DISC COULD BE DVD-A SINCE IT'S NOT TOO IMPORTANT<br><br><br><br>MY 2.5 cents.[/quote]<br><br>Where you say "the bonus disc could be DVDa since it is not too important".<br><br>Well maybe to you.<br><br>Teh ZFT have spent alot of time and money upgrading the UMRK to provide us with the best optional entertainment possible. <br><br>In my opinion DVDa is about the best technology change and I could only hope that Joe Travers is doing well with the Archiological Dig.<br><br>This is what I most eagerly await. Zappa music treated with the best of modern technology.<br><br>Yeah it's going to be tough.<br><br>Too many freaks are into the completist mindset but in time the ZFT will give us more of the worlds finest optional entertainment and at times I am sure they will surprise even the most avid of completist.<br><br>In whatever form the future releases come I am sure that it will blow away the many complete shows that are in  polished turd format on the internet. <br><br>If you take a look at what is published there is enough for many projects that not even the Unnoficial Vault FAQ hinted on but one thing I do know is that projects will come in many formats, sizes and concepts. <br><br>Just because te Halloween DVDa was not a complete show does not mean we will never get a Complete 78' or Happy Halloween Everybody Concert Series project.<br><br>The Halloween DVDa was made to order.<br><br>Dweezil, Joe Chicarelli ad Joe Travers did a great job for the scope of that production.<br><br>It's a shame many of the completist fail to see just how good it is.<br><br>I guess one can't play the Halloween DVDa on their  MP3 player. MP3 is about convenience and has little or notjing to do about audio quality.<br><br>DVDa is about ground breaking technology.<br><br>The Halloween DVDa is about greoundbreaking technology and great production.<br><br><br>I have been looking forward to a large Scale Happy Halloween Everybody project for over a decade.<br><br>It's a definite possibility. <br><br>I was there at The Palladium in 78'.<br><br>Great shows and Joe informs me that the tapes are great too.<br><br>But then again artistic integrity is not about the stupidity that is the American Supersize Me attitude.<br><br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:25 pm 

From PRIVACY The Official Warren Cuccurulo Website<br><br>VAULTMEISTER - NO TIME FOR LOSERS  <br>Gary Titone.. Privacy Feature.. Jul 2005 <br> <br><br>http://www.cuccurullo.tv/articles/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=192<br><br><br><br>GT: Frank always had an honest and personal relationship with his fans. In the David Letterman London Symphony Orchestra interview, Frank gave a detailed explanation on budgets and the process of a project. He could only shrug and laugh when asked if he could go back and do another LSO project so that he may achieve a 100% performance. In 2005 the fans need to listen closely to these words of wisdom and understand not only what budgets are for projects from an artist but that the good folks at the ZFT want to give us the best possible product. They are not going to just throw product together and release it. That little segment is really nice. You pointed it out very clearly that a project such as The Roxy DVD takes a lot of time and money, and while we already have 5.1 projects like Baby Snakes and the DTS material, at times a project could be limited in its length not only by what an artist would like to do but by what deal is made. In the case of Halloween, while a massive Happy Halloween Everybody all-inclusive concert type experience may be most desirable to the fans, the Zappa Halloween project could have had limitations in length with a deal made with DTS. <br><br>JT: That was a made-to-order program. <br><br>GT: The 1978 Halloween shows were amazing: two bass players, Shankar & Warren Cuccurullo as special guests.<br><br>JT: Yeah, that was a great band and great sounding tapes as well. QuAUDIOPHILIAc except for one song, that is all of Frank`s mixes. All authentic and great material. Yeah, the once-and-all approach to these releases can only be enjoyed by the fans that really get off on that. We don`t want to include a bunch of crap just because everybody wants it as completists. Also, we know that we have to put out quality. Only good performances. Frank is not going to do that anymore. So we really got to watch what we put out, how we put it out and when we put it out.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:02 am 

Trendmonger, while I welcome all future ZFT releases, if you say "finest optional entertainment" one more time, I'm gonna punch you.  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:58 am 

Gotta admit that DVD-A and SACD technology sounds great, but I was kinda disappointed with the track selection for "Halloween". I like all FZ music and welcome all new releases, but the tracklist for this release read like "Strictly Commercial: Live!".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#20 date=09/26/05 at 08:58:45]Gotta admit that DVD-A and SACD technology sounds great, but I was kinda disappointed with the track selection for "Halloween". I like all FZ music and welcome all new releases, but the tracklist for this release read like "Strictly Commercial: Live!". [/quote]<br><br>Good point! I've not even heard this one yet. It could be the only release I've not yet heard. Yet every time I think "I'm gonna git this sucka'" I look at the track list and I think "Do I really need to hear another version of these tracks live?" Are these the kinds of releases we'll be getting from now on? Are they just trying to make money on the more commercial stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:36 am 

dkaplowitz<br><br>I still recommend getting it.  "Black Napkins/Deathless Horsie" is awesome.  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:46 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#20 date=09/26/05 at 08:58:45]Gotta admit that DVD-A and SACD technology sounds great, but I was kinda disappointed with the track selection for "Halloween". I like all FZ music and welcome all new releases, but the tracklist for this release read like "Strictly Commercial: Live!". [/quote]<br><br>Since we know that this was a Made To Order Program we could not expect that the diversity of all 78' Halloween shows be represented in this particular single disk DVDa production.<br><br>With DVDa being a fairly new format I highly doubt that DTS Entertainment would have made an all inclusive 78' show deal with the ZFT at that time. <br><br>Truthfully the fact that we get Ancient Armaments, Magic Fingers & Black Napkins/Deathless Horsie in this format is quite surprizing for the time of the release.   <br><br>The fact that it includes Ancient Armaments (First Time Released on DVDa and 2 Track Digital Stereo format was enough for me to be completely satisfied with this release. <br><br>While I had been listening to Zappa since 67' the 78' Halloween shows were the first time I saw Frank live. <br><br>I had long awaited another project which included more recordings from the 78' Palladium Halloween Lineup.<br><br>The YCDTOSA Series gave us a great taste of what that band was capable of.<br><br>The Halloween DVDa is a whole other level of Excuse Me Todd while I ask to be puched in the face Worlds Finest Optional Entertainment!<br><br>I eagrerly await more stuff from the 78' Halloween shows but this specific compilation is quite a diversified representation of the shows in a single disc DVDa format.<br><br>I personaly find it more representative of a Stricltly Halloween 78' as opposed to Stricly Commercial: LIVE DVDa.<br><br>But then again when we focus on wanting the whole enchilada we can loose focus on just how amazing the Halloween DVDa is.  <br><br>If you want The Whole Enchilada keep requesting a Happy Halloween Everybody project.<br><br>Is this not how Frank introduced Ancient Armaments.<br><br>Get the Conceptual Continuity?<br><br>Happy Halloween Everybody!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981