Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Halloween '78
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:06 pm 

[quote author=J.C.Greasy link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#24 date=09/26/05 at 19:08:47]Finally, Trendy you say something I want to hear! But I don't know If I can trust you or the ZFT?<br>[/quote]<br><br>What am I saying that you Finally want to hear?<br><br>I hope I am not missleading you into something?<br><br>I hope you can trust my honesty and hopefully you find these words honest in nature. <br><br>As far as what's to come down the road I remain Eyes and Ears and as much as I may have heard of some inside things that is not to say that what I have heard is or will be some impending release. <br><br>I will tell you what I have heard is amazing!<br><br>To even think that it exists and could be a possibility is something I don't even hear spoken in the most wanted lists but I can tell you it is most wanted beyond what one could immagine.<br><br>No it's not the Roxy DVD<br><br>I can only hope one of these recently mentioned items does surface as a release at some point but I would not want to speculate or misslead anyone.<br><br>I'll remain Eyes and Ears but just knowing this stuff sits in the vault is most welcomed news.<br><br>Now I trust the ZFT completely.<br>  <br>If you look at the track record of Barfko Swill since 1981 they have released hundreds of products with limited problems.<br><br>All-in-all as a cottage industry I have been completely satisfied. <br><br>In my twenty five years as a working professional I have had two careers. One as a Network Engineer and the other as a Chef.<br><br>I have worked for IBM and several of the top Chefs in the world and there is one thing I can tell you that is a key element in the above environments and all Zappa  productions.<br><br>People come to you for a specific product that they can not get anywhere else period.<br><br>Grant it any business will have it's good and bad days so to speak but the services that a Barfko Swill provide are unparalleled anywhere.<br><br>What made Barfko Swill the cottage industry so special was that it had total control of product. <br><br>Remember just as Frank would need to get distribution deals for Barking Pumpkin Records it's similar and more difficult by today's standards for a cottage industry to distribute.<br><br>While many fans look at the Dick's Picks and King Crimson Collectors Club examples of things becoming easier bootlegging of product has bever been bigger.<br><br>It seems pretty clear that Zappa music is 'Nitch" product and if projected sales for general releases only muster 15,000 - 25,000 units I am sure teh ZFT are looking into the best way for future distribution.<br><br>What they have done is spend alot of time and money to ensure that the contents of teh Vault will be preserved and mastered with the best of modern technology.<br><br>Grant it we do not get as much product and feedback as we hope for but if you look at the interviews and releases over the last several years that in itself should be enough to satisfy your concerns.<br>  <br><br> <br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:17 pm 

[quote author=J.C.Greasy link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#24 date=09/26/05 at 19:08:47]One more thing: Strictly Halloween 78' over Strictly Commercial Live...What? Trendy actually made a funny ;D[/quote]<br><br>Was I being funny? Maybe it read that way. Just another analogy that spins the turntable on someones post.<br><br>I wonder if some of the people who have commented on the Halloween DVD-A actually have it and have listened to it on 5.1.<br><br>I'd suspect there are more people dowloading polished turd versions of Zappa shows on a weekly basis thinking that is what's cool.<br><br>I don't know being there in 1978 I was amazed at this production. <br><br>Blows me away.<br><br>Of coarse I would love a whole show, all 78 shows or all Halloween shows ever but I have to look at the Halloween DVDa for what it is.<br><br>The liner notes of teh Halloewen DVD-A are great and spell it all out pretty well.<br><br>Maybe some are looking at a list of songs and have little to no clue as to what this production is about.<br><br>Studabaker should know better that a setlist has nothing to do with the audio outcome.<br><br>I never complained that YCDTOSA Vol 2 The Helsinki Concert reads like much of Roxy And Elsewhere.<br><br>That is a prime example of how similar songlists can  sound completely different and the Halloween DVDa sounds like nothing else that had ever been released!  <br><br>I am hoping that Studabaker was just having a momentary lapse of reason.<br><br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 am 

[quote author=Trendmonger link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#26 date=09/27/05 at 17:17:18]<br>I wonder if some of the people who have commented on the Halloween DVD-A actually have it and have listened to it on 5.1.[/quote]<br><br>I did buy the Halloween DVD-A and I have listened to it in 5.1 sound. I must say that it does sound very impressive and that overall, the Halloween disc is a high quality product.<br><br>I'm just expressing disappointment over the track selection.  A lot of the stuff I find most interesting from the Halloween show (like the full band version of 'Little House...', more Shankar stuff, etc. ) was left off in favour of 'Dinah Moe Humm', "Stinkfoot", "Dancing Fool" and other songs that are already on many other live Zappa discs.<br><br>Although I appreciate the great sound quality and I do like the aforementioned songs, I'm not an audiophile and I would have rather heard stuff that is less common in the FZ catalogue or that relies more on group improvisation (like the excellent 'Black Napkins'-version, which to me is the musical highlight of this release). Whether the track selection and length was part of the deal with DTS is irrelevant to me as a consumer .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:00 am 

[quote author=Trendmonger link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#26 date=09/27/05 at 17:17:18]I wonder if some of the people who have commented on the Halloween DVD-A actually have it and have listened to it on 5.1.<br>[/quote]<br>I haven't bought it for the very reason that I'm not thrilled by the idea of hearing yet another version of Dina Moe Humm or Dancin' Fool, regardless of how great the sound is. There are like 2-3 tracks on the whole thing I'd be interested in hearing, and for $19. or so I can wait to hear them. And I have a pretty bitchen 5.1 set up. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:01 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#27 date=09/28/05 at 11:48:40]<br><br>the excellent 'Black Napkins'-version, which to me is the musical highlight of this release.[/quote]<br><br>While I do feel this version is a killer, there are BETTER verisons of BN by the late 1978 band.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:04 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=15#27 date=09/28/05 at 11:48:40]<br><br>I did buy the Halloween DVD-A and I have listened to it in 5.1 sound. I must say that it does sound very impressive and that overall, the Halloween disc is a high quality product.<br><br>I'm just expressing disappointment over the track selection.  A lot of the stuff I find most interesting from the Halloween show (like the full band version of 'Little House...', more Shankar stuff, etc. ) was left off in favour of 'Dinah Moe Humm', "Stinkfoot", "Dancing Fool" and other songs that are already on many other live Zappa discs.<br><br>Although I appreciate the great sound quality and I do like the aforementioned songs, I'm not an audiophile and I would have rather heard stuff that is less common in the FZ catalogue or that relies more on group improvisation (like the excellent 'Black Napkins'-version, which to me is the musical highlight of this release). Whether the track selection and length was part of the deal with DTS is irrelevant to me as a consumer .[/quote]<br><br>You have articulated your viewpoint very well. I must say that I too look forward to hearing many of the left out tracks from the Haloween 78' shows regardless.<br><br>While we do differ on opinions on whatever the Made To Order selection left out to me it is more important  whatever the made to order means and less about what a fan based interest of creative selection of how many times a given song was released in the catalouge or how much I want to hear any tracks that were left out of this particular production.<br><br>As far as Creative Selection the Halloween DVD-A delivers it all. Great representation of a variety of standard and special material from the 78's shows. <br><br>In the liner notes it states somewhere along the lines that 1/2 the slections were made by FZ so any problems with track selection may be critisized 1/2 on FZ and 1/2 on Dweezil and also possibly Joe respectively.<br><br>Me I have no critisism. I just look forward to some more.<br><br>Since many of those so called old fan encore favorites have appeared on many compilations having not included them regardless of inclusion on previous product is what I feel would take away from proper representation of what the concert feeling of these specific 78'Halloween shows were about.<br><br>And even if quite a few of the tracks were previously released song titles all tracks are getting their premeire release either performance arrangement and or mix/medium.<br><br><br>If we only received the monster songs it very well may not have represented a live Halloween show.<br><br>I remember Frank saying allright Halloween Audioence # whatever you can leg go of it now as he segued into Yellow Snow. We pounced out disco organs.<br><br>Nedless to say I would hope Ms. X appears on a future release.<br><br>Maybe we can agree to look forward to more from the 78' Halloween Shows.<br><br>How about all of em'  

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:25 am 

[quote author=Trendmonger link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=30#30 date=09/28/05 at 14:04:47]<br><br>Since many of those so called old fan encore favorites have appeared on many compilations having not included them regardless of inclusion on previous product is what I feel would take away from proper representation of what the concert feeling of these shows were about.<br><br>If we only received the monster songs it very well may not have represented a live Halloween show.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>From The Liberetto<br><br> FZ:  Awright.  Awright.  Awright awright.  Awreety, awrighty. Ok.  <br>Okay now look.<br>Let me explain something to you.<br>Let me explain this to you.<br>Just save the frenzy for the English groups. <br>Hold it just a second.<br>Listen.  Here, here's my plan.<br>Ordinarily, y'know We've played in New York so many times And we do the same encore all the time.<br>Now some of you people hate this song<br>And some of you people wanna hear it.<br>For those of y ou who hate it, Sorry.  <br>We're gonna do it for the ones who like it<br>But we'll, we'll give you something else to go along with it. But the song in question             Here.  C'm'ere.  Okay.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:36 am 

I'm sorry.  But if they EVER release ANYTHING under the title, HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY,  I am out.  Burning all my cd's and never looking back.  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=30#32 date=10/11/05 at 05:36:57]I'm sorry.  But if they EVER release ANYTHING under the title, HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY,  I am out.  Burning all my cd's and never looking back.   [/quote]<br><br>Since that phrase is a direct statement made by <br>Frank Zappa to his most beloved fans on his favorite holiday I could see why you would be out of here.<br><br>If a project ever came out with that name there would be no reason for you to celebrate in such a manner.<br><br>Maybe you have no clue to what it is like to celebrate Halloween with Frank Zappa.<br><br>or maybe my insight has you so pisssed off that you could loose focus on what Zappa is all about.<br><br>You should take my comments with a grain of salt. If the ZFT would ever produce such a porject it is not because I am some allmighty fan who knows all whose suggestions make for a building block of the holy grail.<br><br>Whatever they do will be of there own design and if they like a given concept that I suggest and or approve my writtings it is because they think it represents what Frank may have approved of in some form of manner. <br><br>Remember I don't need your approval for anything.<br>If for any reason my writtings or project suggestions are approved or used by the ZFT are cause for you to burn your collection I must say the power of suggestion has new meaning.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:50 am 

[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=30#34 date=10/11/05 at 14:45:07]<br><br>jpf, how did you know word for word what I would have liked to write into this thread before even myself knew it ??<br>  ;)[/quote]<br><br>I have special powers!!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:39 pm 

It was a joke trendy.    Every fan wants the complete Halloween treat.    That title is just a tad corny.    Okay, VERYVERY lame.   The series itself would be VERY welcome.   Frank also opened concerts with Hello.  Doesn't mean it would make a good title!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:26 am 

[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=30#34 date=10/11/05 at 14:45:07]<br><br>jpf, how did you know word for word what I would have liked to write into this thread before even myself knew it ??<br>  ;)[/quote]<br><br>Well, I don't agree with the BIG FUCKING MORON part.  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:43 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=wishList;num=1090191699;start=30#36 date=10/11/05 at 18:39:15]It was a joke trendy.    Every fan wants the complete Halloween treat.    That title is just a tad corny.    Okay, VERYVERY lame.   The series itself would be VERY welcome.   Frank also opened concerts with Hello.  Doesn't mean it would make a good title![/quote]<br><br>Frank also opened many shows by saying "Howdy Folks". Does that make him a cowboy??<br><br>