Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remake Freak Out.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 am 

My wish is that a bunch of contemporary musicians like Mike Patton would remake  the album freak out.  Who would play what in your dream band to remake this album.

Post subject: Re: Remake Freak Out.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:12 am 
Banned

[center]That sounds like a truly awful idea.<br><br>The original was perfect -- why mess with perfection?<br><br>Kind of like Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho: it was every single shot from Hitchcock's original, only in color, and with worse acting! What's the point? Why even remake it at all?[/center]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 am 

[quote author=ziggy link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#0 date=10/18/05 at 12:39:27]My wish is that a bunch of contemporary musicians like Mike Patton would remake  the album freak out.  Who would play what in your dream band to remake this album.[/quote]<br><br>You as Dr. Kervorkian.......<br><br>Kill yourself NOW!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:14 am 

I'm talkin about something that might key people into how great Zappa and that album were.  Don't post any more facist BS please.  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:09 pm 

[quote author=ziggy link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#3 date=10/18/05 at 14:14:17]I'm talkin about something that might key people into how great Zappa and that album were.  Don't post any more facist BS please.  [/quote]<br><br>More then 50% of what's on Freak Out is so unique it cannot reproduced by ANYONE. The standard rock songs, well maybe some half decent covers could be done but the whole thing?? Who you kidding??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 pm 

It would be reasonably easy to remake, but why would you bother?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 am 

No. Not a very good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 am 

[quote author=Noah link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#6 date=10/18/05 at 23:44:57] It would be reasonably easy to remake, but why would you bother?[/quote]<br><br>Step away from the pipe son.... your brain is fucking fried!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:46 am 

Click your heels together and watch an exact replica of The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet appear! See how easy it was?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:04 am 

[quote author=ziggy link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#3 date=10/18/05 at 14:14:17]I'm talkin about something that might key people into how great Zappa and that album were.  Don't post any more facist BS please.  [/quote]<br><br><br>It's funny how when we disagree with your opinion, we're suddenly 'facist'.<br><br>The reason people don't like Frank and listen to him is because THEY DON'T WANT TO. It has nothing to do with his work. And, honestly, if we have to leave it up to OTHER MUSICIANS to get Frank noticed...? They won't have the 'eyebrows', they'll add their own style-it's inevitable.<br>And then, what do we get? The Idiot Bastard Son of Frank Zappa's actual music.<br><br>Many 'popular' bands have payed homage to Frank over the years. Red Hot Chili Peppers have played (parts) of Inca Roads, Iron Maiden claims to be big fans, and at my last Alice Cooper concert, he temporarily stopped the show to speak about Frank.<br><br>THe point is, it hasn't done anything. When I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers do 'Inca Roads', the crowd started booing before they even started playing.<br><br>I-and most people here, I'm sure- are totally up for new renditions of Frank's music, and sharing it with a new audience-I wouldn't be here otherwise.<br><br>The problem with your idea is that you're talking about taking Frank's first album-totally redoing it. It won't work, and definetley won't help get anyone in to FZ.<br><br>(Especially kids..most people laugh at me if I listen to the doo-wop songs on that album..)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:08 am 

when i first saw this thread i thought "oh dear, Oh No!!"<br><br>And then I saw this thread again now, while listening to The Residents..  And i thought to myself.. <br>"hmm... The Residents Interpretation of Freak Out!"<br><br>Sounds kinda Interesting to me..

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:03 pm 

disgusting idea  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#2 date=10/18/05 at 13:15:04]<br><br>Kill yourself NOW!!!![/quote]<br><br><br>I wonder,if he did kill himself?.<br><br><br> ???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:03 pm 

[quote author=knepo link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=0#12 date=10/22/05 at 14:08:33]when i first saw this thread i thought "oh dear, Oh No!!"<br><br>And then I saw this thread again now, while listening to The Residents..  And i thought to myself.. <br>"hmm... The Residents Interpretation of Freak Out!"<br><br>Sounds kinda Interesting to me..[/quote]<br><br><br>Now, don't get me wrong-The Residents are kickass.<br><br>Absolutley motherfucking awesome.<br><br>But I never want to hear them do Freak Out!

Post subject: dRe: Remake Freak Out.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:52 pm 

goddamm-do not have any material by the Residents...-however,aware that they did 'Rhapsody In Blue'   -You mean...they...did a cover of 'Freak Out'...amazing...Award time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:28 am 

[quote author=zzyrch link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=15#16 date=10/22/05 at 21:52:36]goddamm-do not have any material by the Residents...-however,aware that they did 'Rhapsody In Blue'   -You mean...they...did a cover of 'Freak Out'...amazing...Award time.[/quote]<br><br>No they didnt do a cover of Freak Out, its just that It could be very interesting hear them doing it<br><br>But I got a King Kong version they are doing, with snakefinger on guitar. Pretty cool

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:22 pm 

I could see if you did a parody like the Ruttles but why would you do a parody of a parody?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:45 pm 

There are plenty of contemporary musicians I like and enjoy the works of, but there is not a single one who I think could even begin to do Zappa/Mothers justice by covering his/their material, much less an entire album. <br>It's a terrible idea...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:09 pm 

[quote author=FeralCats link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=15#15 date=10/22/05 at 20:03:36]<br>But I never want to hear them do Freak Out![/quote]<br><br>I would. At worst, it would be interesting.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:10 pm 

[quote author=Bukkake link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=15#19 date=11/08/05 at 19:45:52]There are plenty of contemporary musicians I like and enjoy the works of, but there is not a single one who I think could even begin to do Zappa/Mothers justice by covering his/their material, much less an entire album. <br>It's a terrible idea...[/quote]<br><br>Well, Project/Object has covered the entire OVERNITE SENSATION on one of their shows. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:05 am 

But Project/Object is made of people who have worked with Frank.<br><br>Besides that, let's face it-Over-nite sensation is much easier to pull off than, say, Freak Out, or Joe's Garage..or Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:29 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=15#23 date=11/10/05 at 10:25:23][center]<br><br>[font=comic sans ms]A little clarity:<br><br>Project/Object has performed "Over-nite Sensation" on more than "one of their shows".<br><br>In addition to "Over-nite Sensation," Project/Object has "pulled off" "Joe's Garage," "One Size Fits All," and "Sheik Yerbouti" in their entireties.[/font][/center][/quote]<br><br>Jimmie D, what did I tell you about saying things that weaken my arguments?<br> 8)<br><br>(EDIT: Oh yeah..if they did Joe's Garage, wouldn't that mean they'd have done Watermelon? How did they do it?I thought Frank didn't like that?)