Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Remake Freak Out.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:33 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=45#47 date=11/15/05 at 21:54:26]<br> That is not what I'm saying. [/quote]<br><br>I know, but I simply couldn´t resist. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:25 pm 

[quote author=Martorelli link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=45#50 date=11/15/05 at 23:33:17]I know, but I simply couldn´t resist.[/quote]Yes, I can hear the ratchet on your fishing reel going off into overdrive. I'm such a chump.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:35 pm 

Seriously, about this Zappa remake thing (and bear with me I'm thinking over the top of the solo in Cruisin' for Burgers on Make A Jazz Noise Here ... woh ...) it's one thing to talk about covering Zappa's music now that he's gone and another entirely to talk about doing covers of his albums. I think if someone wants to do a concept album using Zappa's music that's perfectly legitimate and there's already a lot of good ones available, but the idea of a note for note cover of a Zappa album sounds a bit creepy to me. Now, maybe my logic is a bit flawed but I'm not just applying logic here - I see these as two distinct things and I get very different feelings about them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:14 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=wishList;num=1129657167;start=45#52 date=11/16/05 at 00:35:18]Seriously, about this Zappa remake thing (and bear with me I'm thinking over the top of the solo in Cruisin' for Burgers on Make A Jazz Noise Here ... woh ...) it's one thing to talk about covering Zappa's music now that he's gone and another entirely to talk about doing covers of his albums. I think if someone wants to do a concept album using Zappa's music that's perfectly legitimate and there's already a lot of good ones available, but the idea of a note for note cover of a Zappa album sounds a bit creepy to me. Now, maybe my logic is a bit flawed but I'm not just applying logic here - I see these as two distinct things and I get very different feelings about them.[/quote]<br><br>I don´t mind  people doing covers of classic songs. Sometimes they´re good, a lot of times they suck.<br><br>What REALLY pisses me off is when some artist decides to pull a Lucas and remake his own work. It´s like Zappa remixing "Inca Roads" replacing Ruth Underwood with a walkie-talkie.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:45 pm 

Oh lighten up people.  It would be fun to hear.  Especially if Mike Patton were involved.  If Phish were still together, I'd want them to do one of the end tracks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:07 pm 

NO doubt Sam.  i could think of better players than the guys from Phish though. ;)