Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:23 am 

Bit of a double up, but it is a wish list, that's for sure. So this post is for the wish in me, the other is for fellow fans discussions(See the Albums Forum section).

As mentioned in other posts, one of my main Frank Zappa album fantasies is in the form of hoping for what hasn't been done EVER!!!.

That would be a couple of complete recording Frank Zappa box sets. Imagine a special edition box set featuring all 102 official Frank Zappa albums for example!!! :)

Alright, now back to reality, not many people would be able to afford it (what do you reckon the price on such a set would be fellow fans? Starting price $2500+ you reckon? (That would equate to approximately $1500 USD and no change at all I would imagine).

A more realistic set of box sets for this fan would be something like this:

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 1
Featuring:
1. Freak Out (1966)
2. Absolutely Free (1967)
3. Lumpy Gravy (1967)
4. We're Only In It For The Money (1968)
5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
6. Uncle Meat (1969)
7. Hot Rats (1969)
8. Burnt Weeny Sandwhich (1970)
9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
10. Chunga's Revenge. (1970)
11. Waka/Jawaka (1972)
12. The Grand Wazoo (1972)
13. Over-Nite Sensation (1973)
14. Apostrophe' (1974)
15. One Size Fits All (1975)
BONUS: The Lost Episodes Collection.

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 2
Featuring:
16. Bongo Fury (1975)
17. Zoot Allures (1976)
18. Lather (1978)
19. Sheik Yerbouti(1979)
20. Joe's Garage Acts I, II and III. (1979)
21. Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Collection (1981)
22. You Are What You Is (1981)
23. Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch (1982)
24. The Man From Utopia (1983)
25. London Symphony Orchestra Volumes 1 and 2 (1983,1987)
26. Them Or Us (1984)
27. Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (1985)
28. Jazz From Hell (1986)
29. The Yellow Shark (1993)
30. Civilisation Phase III (1994)
Bonus (Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt, Zappa In New York and Orchestral Favourites).

The Live Albums is where it would get tricky but perhaps a number of collections

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 3 - Live and Alive - Beat The Boots Vol 1 and 2.

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 4 - You Simply Can't Do That On Stage Or In A Box Set Anymore!
All of the 'You Can't Do That On Stage Volumes' plus
Guitar
Broadway The Hard Way
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
Make A Jazz Noise Here
Playground Psychotics
Ahead Of Their Time

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 5 - Let Me Take You To The Box (I think that's got a lot of Frank in that title. :) ).
Everything From 1996's Tribute to and including: 'The Dub Room Special'.

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 6 - The Box Set Is The Ultimate Solution
Everything From 2007's Wazoo to Road Tapes, Venue #2.

Frank Zappa Ultimate Collection Box Set 7 - Box Proxy
Everything from A Token Of His Extreme till there is at least another 15 releases to add to the set.

Just imagine, each box could feature special extra's like rare printings of original Frank Zappa transcriptions and writings, perhaps badges or T-shirts(well it worked for the Beet The Boots box sets). I'm sure most fans would love a copy of an original Frank Zappa composition featuring his unique words and ideas highlighting sections etc.

Yeah, I know, it could be over the top but as a fan who's owned the main bulk of Frank's work 2.5 times and ends up giving albums away to awaken people to Frank's music, set's like this would be fantastic to instantly top up the collection again. Some people purchase up to 10 copies of albums they like just to get alternate mixes, bonus tracks and special printings. It's no different for us Zappa fans right?

PS. A Dweezil Zappa box set is a long time coming as well. Some Dweezil albums are only available on Vinyl and while I love vinyl, it's an inconvenient medium for playing music on the go(eg, in my car on the CD player is sometimes the only chance I for one get to listen for example).
Dweezil Zappa Collection Box Set - My Box Set Want To Kill Your Mama (LOL. OK, perhaps a better title is in order).
Featuring:
1982 – "My Mother Is a Space Cadet"/"Crunchy Water", 12" single, produced by Frank Zappa
1986 – Havin' a Bad Day
1988 – My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
1991 – Confessions
2000 – Automatic
2006 – Go with What You Know
2015 – Via Zammata'
1994 – Shampoohorn
1996 – Music For Pets
2008 – Zappa Plays Zappa
2010 – Return of the Son of...
2011 – In the Moment
2012 – F.O.H.
2012 – F.O.H. III: Out of Obscurity[17]
PLUS: Bonus guitar magazine and never before released tracks etc. Featuring a bonus shampoo horn to hold all your albums on while swapping them in and out of your CD player. :)

Well there's my Zappa album collection box set dreams fellow fans. What's yours?

RELEASE THESE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:28 am 

Something else I should mention is the possibility of having more than 1 album on a CD, that would help bring the cost down.

During the early 90's Ryco released some terrific double album releases. Most notably and no doubt famously, Were Only In It For The Money / Lumpy Gravy and Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation. These were excellent value for money and best of all, there's no disc flipping required. Perhaps some of the albums could be collected together like that in order to make the box sets more viable. Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo for example should fit nicely on a single disc.

Just a suggestion as I think about it seriously. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:03 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Bit of a double up, but...

Hey lapsed, you could get to 15,000 posts in no time by doing this! :wink:
TT

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:40 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Something else I should mention is the possibility of having more than 1 album on a CD, that would help bring the cost down.

During the early 90's Ryco released some terrific double album releases. Most notably and no doubt famously, Were Only In It For The Money / Lumpy Gravy and Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation. These were excellent value...

Those doubles were some of the worst quality they ever put out.
My dream box consists of only unreleased material.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:20 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

During the early 90's Ryco released some terrific double album releases. Most notably and no doubt famously, Were Only In It For The Money / Lumpy Gravy and Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation. These were excellent value...

Those doubles were some of the worst quality they ever put out.

Very interesting to hear. Some of those doubles are the only form I've heard them on CD. Which versions are superior to those Ryco's? I'd love to hear those in comparison.

Would that include all the previously unreleased material from 1996 till the present or only new material never before released full stop?
Personally I love hearing previously unreleased material. That 'The Lost Episodes' was an absolute treasure trove for example.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:07 pm 

The 2012 re-releases of the entire catalog are superior to all the Rykodisc releases.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:58 am 

deuce wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:
Bit of a double up, but...

Hey lapsed, you could get to 15,000 posts in no time by doing this! :wink:
TT

:idea:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 am 

KUIII wrote:
The 2012 re-releases of the entire catalog are superior to all the Rykodisc releases.

Thanks KUII, I haven't heard the 2012 re-releases and hence why I'm hoping some good box sets can come into existence so I can give my Zappa collection a serious upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:37 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Thanks KUII, I haven't heard the 2012 re-releases and hence why I'm hoping some good box sets can come into existence so I can give my Zappa collection a serious upgrade.

Noted is of course those delicious looking 'A Dozen Frank Zappa Albums' collections from Barfko Swill.

However in order for completeness and for the avid collector, it's not everything plus perhaps some bonus tracks that a box set could deliver.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 am 

Everything you write reads as if you have been in a coma for the last 20 or 30 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:53 am 

Thinman wrote:
Everything you write reads as if you have been in a coma for the last 20 or 30 years.

Well I don't believe being excited about Frank Zappa albums puts me in that category but if you feel better for saying that, then thank you for your cosmic debris. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:30 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Ditto.
I'd love to hear unreleased box set of material with Sugarcane.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 pm 

Well here's proof that box sets are desirable. It's rare to see anymore than 15 bids on an ebay item.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/You-Cant-Do- ... SwaZdXIZnX

Imagine that box set re-released with the new 2012 editions.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Well here's proof that box sets are desirable. It's rare to see anymore than 15 bids on an ebay item.

I used to have that. Really cool and well made. One of my biggest Zappa regrets was letting that box go.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:19 am 

KUIII wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I used to have that. Really cool and well made. One of my biggest Zappa regrets was letting that box go.

That is so sad. You poor person. That set was VERY nice. At least you can pick up the YCDTOSA series in single cases so on the plus it will take up less space. But yeah I understand, it's just not the same as that gorgeous solid road tour capable box set.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 am 

Thinman wrote:

LOL

He actually thinks that the Ryko 2fers are good!!! hahahahahaha Those 2 2fers were GARBAGE!!!

This dude has obviously never even heard the original vinyl.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri May 06, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 am 

KUIII wrote:

Not entirely accurate. Some still use FZs shitty 80s remixes like Uncle Meat, but fortunately most DO NOT.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

That is so sad. You poor person. That set was VERY nice. At least you can pick up the YCDTOSA series in single cases so on the plus it will take up less space. But yeah I understand, it's just not the same as that gorgeous solid road tour capable box set.

Yeah I got all the 2012 re-releases but that box was pretty spiffy.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 am 

I have all the 2012s and have not yet decided on what I wanna do with all of my Rykos. I have all of them too. For completest and fetishist purposes I have not been able to part with them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:57 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
I have all the 2012s and have not yet decided on what I wanna do with all of my Rykos. I have all of them too. For completest and fetishist purposes I have not been able to part with them.

You might as well hang on to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:00 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I want to be buried with my YCDTOSA box.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:17 pm 

tweezers wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I want to be buried with my YCDTOSA box.

Hopefully not real soon. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:45 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

coughelitistfaggotcough

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:05 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

coughelitistfaggotcough

Hey fucknut, I am a hardcore collector and have been for close to 30 years. Fuck off.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:25 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

coughelitistfaggotcough

Hey fucknut, I am a hardcore collector and have been for close to 30 years. Fuck off.

How does that make you any better than someone else who likes Frank's music? I thought it was about the music? Not, how many versions of each album you have. :|