Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:08 pm 

<br> Just to talk about the beginnings and the orginal MOI (honest)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 pm 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#0 date=02/12/06 at 15:08:49]<br> Just to talk about the beginnings and the orginal MOI (honest)[/quote]<br><br>Sounds like a no brainer to me.  PM her, chat her up and get her address, hike on over there.  Talk till you drop.<br><br>Unless you happen to be on the other side of the states or in another country.  Then it could be problem. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:47 pm 

I was bored and buried in the snow of the tundra called the Northeast.  Clicked on all her emails - and she WAS THERE...The stories I bet she could tell.  I really hope she publishes her book!<br>  Get the book and when Bill Graham's tapes get released - the Mothers from the late 60's - it will be like - a flashback.<br><br> (oh well 26 inches of snow drives one stir crazy)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:25 pm 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#2 date=02/12/06 at 15:47:02] I was bored and buried in the snow of the tundra called the Northeast.  Clicked on all her emails - and she WAS THERE...The stories I bet she could tell.  I really hope she publishes her book!<br>  Get the book and when Bill Graham's tapes get released - the Mothers from the late 60's - it will be like - a flashback.<br><br> (oh well 26 inches of snow drives one stir crazy)[/quote]Where is she? 21" so far here in "Beantown" but I think that's a conservative estimate. Lights are beginning to flicker and I don't like that at all! (The battery in that laptop isn't very good for long.)<br><br>--Batchain<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:07 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPartIV link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#3 date=02/12/06 at 16:25:51]<br>Where is she? 21" so far here in "Beantown" but I think that's a conservative estimate. Lights are beginning to flicker and I don't like that at all! (The battery in that laptop isn't very good for long.)<br><br>--Batchain<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ooooh, I don't like the sound of that at all Batty.  Its been trying hard to snow all day here near Chi Town, but it's just not stacking up I'm happy to say.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:14 am 

Has anyone figured out chartruse's real identity?  8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:41 pm 

I thought everyone knew<br><br> Sandy Hurvitz.  She hung around and played and sang at the Garrick.  Later she had her own LP Sandy's Album Is Here At Last on Bizarre (produced by Ian - cover by Cal) (pic on cover shows FZ on TV screen ala I'm the Slime)...oh what stories she must have.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 pm 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#6 date=03/17/06 at 19:41:10] I thought everyone knew<br><br> Sandy Hurvitz.  She hung around and played and sang at the Garrick.  Later she had her own LP Sandy's Album Is Here At Last on Bizarre (produced by Ian - cover by Cal) (pic on cover shows FZ on TV screen ala I'm the Slime)...oh what stories she must have.[/quote]<br><br><br>She was in Zappa Chat many times....never mentioned writing any songs....are you sure? It just doesn't sound right...but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:15 pm 

She said her name was Uncle Meat, that was the name bestowed on Sandy by Frank.You could do a search on the album title...there's one site that gives all the details.<br>  She was there, so close to the beginning, hanging out with my favorite band from when I was a teen.  I'd LOVE to hear the stories she could tell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:02 pm 

when the zchat was up and running she was a semi-reg there<br>always talked about a book she had in waiting<br>never lucid enough to ellaborate any further tho<br>it must be a z thing , this cryptic clues game z folks play<br><br>anyways,  always typed in caps which annoyed almost everyone and spent a lot of time gambling in Biloxi<br><br>maybe stu has some answers , i should ask him  ::)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm 

I don't think it's Sandy, because Char always spoke in CAPS--for awhile, anyway--and went on and on about "knowing" some of the guys in the band and hanging around with other bands...I don't think Ms. Hurvitz did. She later grew (as many of you know) up and took the stage name Ezra Mohawk, doing the punk thing for a bit. I read an interview of hers about that time--early 80's---and she seemed pretty coherent. But a lot can change over the years. Char seemed to be a bit, shall we say, chemically enhanced?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:40 am 

From the postings I took chartruse as being male instead of female. Mabey it was because of writing in caps.  8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:38 pm 

No chartuse is a female she sent me a pic of her. She lives in Florida i believe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:16 pm 

[quote author=studabaker_hop link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#12 date=03/18/06 at 19:38:22]No chartuse is a female she sent me a pic of her. She lives in Florida i believe[/quote]OK, it was just a typo for you there, sudebaker_hop, but did she intend to misspell her name as "chartruse" instead of "chartreuse"?<br><br>It's just an odd thing I've always wondered about chartruse, that's all.<br><br>--Batchain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:54 am 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#6 date=03/17/06 at 19:41:10] I thought everyone knew<br><br> Sandy Hurvitz.  She hung around and played and sang at the Garrick.  Later she had her own LP Sandy's Album Is Here At Last on Bizarre (produced by Ian - cover by Cal) (pic on cover shows FZ on TV screen ala I'm the Slime)...oh what stories she must have.[/quote]<br><br>There is a copy on ebay of Sandy Hurvitz LP, stilled sealed in the shrink wrap.  8)<br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:36 pm 

In addition to vinyl it was also out on CD at one time...got both - not for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:14 am 

A review on her album sort of put her in the catagory of Melanie and Joannie Mitchell, she just didn't get out of their shadow. In fact she had been recording and writing songs since 1964 that the Vanilla Fudge and Shangra-La's recorded some of her songs.  8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:35 pm 

alive & well...41 guests, 6 users:<br><br>chartruse<br>thecentralscrutinizer<br>zut bof<br>scrotey<br>projectx<br>[sub][img width=16 height=16]http://www.speakeasy.org/~zappa/fz%20slime.gif[/img][/sub]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:15 pm 

BatchainPartIV wrote:
[quote author=studabaker_hop link=board=wishList;num=1139778529;start=0#12 date=03/18/06 at 19:38:22]No chartuse is a female she sent me a pic of her. She lives in Florida i believe
OK, it was just a typo for you there, sudebaker_hop, but did she intend to misspell her name as "chartruse" instead of "chartreuse"?<br><br>It's just an odd thing I've always wondered about chartruse, that's all.<br><br>--Batchain[/quote]

Yeah she's in Florida I grew up with her.

"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:14 am 

Is her name still Essra Mohawk :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 am 

cleon wrote:

Essra Mohawk = Sandy Hurvitz, who is not the mysterious "Chartruse."
http://www.essramohawk.com/

Side note: Essra contributed to the 2005 Beefheart tribute album "Mama Kangaroos," and played in NYC around the time it came out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:43 am 

brainpang wrote:
cleon wrote:

Essra Mohawk = Sandy Hurvitz, who is not the mysterious "Chartruse."
http://www.essramohawk.com/

Side note: Essra contributed to the 2005 Beefheart tribute album "Mama Kangaroos," and played in NYC around the time it came out.

NO her name is Leona Weiss

"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:01 am 

no her name is Sandy Hurvitz
After she changed it after Ian Underwood was left in charge of producing her
she is also AKA Uncle Meat :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:24 pm 

[quote="cleon"]no her name is Sandy Hurvitz