Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:00 pm 

Hi folks,

If you were born to have adventure, I invite you to join us on a Zappa-themed trip in Europe this summer.

We're proud to present

Farther Oblivion Tour 2007

a 10-night tour to Berlin, Prague, and the 18th annual Zappanale in Bad Doberan.

Our package includes:
    10 nights accommodations in 4-star hotels
    Welcome dinner in Berlin
    Breakfast daily
    Guided sightseeing as specified on our itinerary, including a Berlin river cruise, tour of Berlin sights, and tour of Prague, with entrance fees
    The historic ceremony dedicating Frank-Zappa-strasse (Frank Zappa Street) in Berlin
    Admission to the street dedication after-party in Berlin
    Admission to all three days of the Zappanale
    Get-together with Ike Willis
    Scheduled ground transportation to and from Zappanale site
    Hotel baggage handling

The tour begins in Berlin on July 27. You'll tour the city, and attend an extraordinary event on July 28th, when "Street Number 13" in the Marzahn district of what was East Berlin is formally dedicated as "Frank-Zappa-strasse". The ceremony will take place at the ORWOhaus, a former photographic film plant on the street that has become home to a musicians' collective. It will be the first street in Germany named for a rock star, and the first street in a major city named for FZ. The dedication will be followed by live music and "chill-party" that should be mild little affair, just a bunch of Zappa fans in Berlin on a Saturday night.

From Berlin the tour will proceed to Prague. Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, and FZ holds a special place in Czech history. Former Czech president Vaclav Havel called Frank 'one of the gods of the Czech underground' for his uncompromising belief in freedom of thought and expression. We're planning an informal 'summit' with the Czech Frank Zappa Fan Club, to hear how Zappa's music and ideas inspired people who lived under communism.

After enjoying Prague, the tour will head to the northern German town of Bad Doberan for the 18th annual Zappanale. Thomas Dippel, president Germany's Arf-Society, the non-profit group behind the Zappanale, describes the event: "Unlike a lot of festivals, the Zappanale is designed as a complete Zappa experience, not just a parade of bands. The atmosphere on the festival grounds is every bit as important as what happens on stage. The whole city of Bad Doberan accommodates the festival, from our honorary member Mayor Polzin to the café waitresses in the town square." Dippel adds, "For over fifteen years we've maintained close contact with our American fans; we're thrilled that Vacation Vibrations has now put together an organized Frank Zappa excursion."

Tour participants will also have an exclusive get-together with the legendary Ike Willis. We are honored that Ike has graciously offered to spend time with us! The exact timing of the get-together will be announced closer to the tour date.

We drop you off at the Berlin airport on August 6th, totally plooked out of your brains from music, "cities and beer", and all kinds of fun.

But wait, did you say you want some more-a? Then keep going with us on the optional 3-night tour extension to Amsterdam, another awesome city with legendary nightlife that is also devoted to independent thinking and freedom of expression.

Farther Oblivion Tour 2007 is presented by Vacation Vibrations, a division of American International Tour Groups, a group tour operator specializing in customized group trips since 1990.

I can't post a link to the tour web site until I have been here for 7 days, but feel free to e-mail me in the meantime, or call 617-721-7996 (Boston).

Cheers,

Father O'Blivion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:06 pm 

I'm going! I'm going!!

Who else is in? Come on...a once in a lifetime trip here folks.
I can post the link, right?

http://www.freewebs.com/fartheroblivion

8)
Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:19 am 

Terry Bozzio was supposed to be in the Zappanale 2007 line-up. Unfortunately he will not be able to atttend :cry:

Here is a statement from Terry Bozzio:

I have just joined the rock band Korn and due that commitment I will be very busy the next few years. I will unfortunately not be able to perform at the Zappanale this year as I will be touring at that time. I hope to reschedule at a more convenient time in the future if my schedule permits.
I have played duets with Chad Wackerman for a number of years now and he is not only my friend, but one of my favorite drummers. He was with Frank longer than anyone else and I feel he was one of his best drummers. He has generously offered to perform with his new group in place of Outtrio.
I have heard and been very impressed by his composition skills
- I'm sure you will all really enjoy it.

Best regards,
Terry

I'm still psyched to see Chad and his band.
CHAD WACKERMAN TRIO
(Chad Wackerman - Mike Miller - Doug Lunn)

Mike Miller - guitar - formerly by Banned from Utopia and Chick Corea
Doug Lunn - bass - formerly by A. Summer, M. Keneally, E. Mann and B. Springsteen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:37 am 

Hasn't Terry LEFT Korn now - he isn't touring with them after all so you never know, he may be available for Zappanale, or ZPZ if any more dates are announced.

BTW - I thought ZPZ were going to be doing 150 gigs this year - they're cutting it a bit fine aren't they?

Post subject: Terry Bozzio
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:09 am 

floss wrote:
Hasn't Terry LEFT Korn now - he isn't touring with them after all so you never know, he may be available for Zappanale, or ZPZ if any more dates are announced.

BTW - I thought ZPZ were going to be doing 150 gigs this year - they're cutting it a bit fine aren't they?

You are right Floss...I didn't know that since I really don't follow Korn.

According to http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=69934

KORN No Longer Working With TERRY BOZZIO? - Apr. 4, 2007

According to a posting on the KORN fan site Kornspace, drummer Terry Bozzio will no longer be part of KORN for unspecified reasons. A source close to KORN told Kornspace that Terry will appear on the band's next album but will not tour with the group.

....I guess that will free up some time if ZPZ does decide to book more dates.

I wonder what it would take to the get the ZFT to Berlin to witness the naming of street being dedicated to Frank? What a shame that they won't even acknowledge that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am 

floss wrote:

That 150 gig thing was crazy, anyhow. It will be exciting once they start announcing the dates...

Post subject: Re: Terry Bozzio
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:12 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
You are right Floss...I didn't know that since I really don't follow Korn.

Neither do I - I don't believe I've heard anything of theirs - my info came from my Zappa Google alert. As it mentioned in the article that Terry used to play with Zappa it gets selected for my alert even though the article itself wasn't about Zappa.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am 

wow :mrgreen: amazing