Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:47 pm 

All in 'couver:

March 26 ~ The Cult, Orpheum Theatre
April 29 ~ Duran Duran, GM Place
May 6 ~ Progressive Nation 2008 (Dream Theater, Opeth, Between The Buried & Me & 3), Orpheum Theatre
May 26 ~ The Cure, GM Place
May 29 ~ Rush, GM Place
June 9 ~ Return To Forever, The Centre
June 27 ~ The Grande Mothers, Commodore Ballroom
July 24 ~ Judas Priest, GM Place
August 23 ~ Weird Al, Red Robinson Show Theatre
August 24 ~ Blue Rodeo, Malkin Bowl (Stanley Park)
September 4 ~ The Black Crowes, Orpheum Theatre
September 20 ~ Neil Diamond, GM Place
October 22 ~ Neil Young, GM Place

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:22 pm 

Help, I'm a Rock wrote:
DREAM THEATER’S “PROGRESSIVE NATION 2008”
featuring OPETH, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME and 3

North American Tour Dates

Tues April 29th - Mexico City, Mexico - National Auditorium*
Fri May 2nd - Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Amphitheater
Sat May 3rd - Oakland, CA - Paramount Theater
Mon May 5th - Seattle, WA - Wamu Theater
Tues May 6th - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum
Fri & Sat May 9th & 10th - Calgary, ALB - Macewan Hall
Mon May 12th - Minneapolis, MN - Myth
Tues May 13th - Chicago, IL - Rosemont Theater
Wed May 14th - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
Fri May 16th - Columbus, OH - LC Amphitheater
Sat May 17th - Cleveland, OH - Time Warner Amphitheater @ Tower City
Sun May 18th - Albany, NY - The Armory
Tues May 20th - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater
Wed & Thurs May 21st & 22nd - New York, NY - Terminal 5
Mon May 26th - Washington DC - DAR Constitution Hall
Tues May 27th - Richmond, VA - The National
Wed May 28th - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
Fri May 30th - Miami, FL - The Fillmore
Sat May 31st - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock
Sun June 1st - Tampa, FL - Ruth Eckerd Hall
Wed June 4th - San Juan, Puerto Rico - Coliseo of Puerto Rico *

I really prefer Dream Theater alone. But I'd still go to one of these if they came within 350 miles of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:26 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Zappa Plays Zappa.

I'm assuming Cal you are going to the Joslyn Art Museum Witherspoon Hall, correct?
How big is this place and how did you get your tickets? at the venue?
cuz this online thing is NOT workin.
help a brother out, would ya?

Did you go here?

http://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSearch;jsessionid=FB3C803759BBE5E2E94BC43BB0FC6CA0?action=displayPerformance&pageNumber=0&pageSize=10&queryString=pageNumber%3d0%26pageSize%3d10%26action%3dsimpleSearch%26searchTerm%3dwitherspoon%26searchBy%3dVENUE%26x%3d0%26y%3d0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:31 pm 

yes, of course, and I still have no idea how that $30 difference in price plays out at the venue. The other day they had 7th row seats for $72. OK, well where are the $42 seats? No telling.
All I'd need would be a simple diagram or description of how big it is, seating capacity to be able to gauge it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:06 am 

last night I was at GOGOL BORDELLOs concert

haha
I must say, very interesting... i heard for a band two days before the gig, and saw some live performances on youtube...
well, they are really good and entertaining band... they have violin, harmonica, guitar acustic and electric, bass, drums, and two asian girls doing this and that on stage... oh and a BUCKET also was an instrument on one song...
great 2 hour dance/jumping party

PS support atc was SKINDRED somekind of hardcore reagge metal stuff with from time to time DJ stuff mixing by the vocal... very nice I found them more interesting then Gogol, but....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:34 pm 

Got back from my Asia show last night, all the original members! It was marvelous. How can you go wrong with seeing a lineup like Steve Howe, Carl Palmer, John Wetton and Geoff Downes?

:)

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm 

I have to say that Asia is one of the worst "supergroup" bands in the world. They make me sick. Don't get me wrong, John Wetton was awesome in King Crimson - great voice and a powerful bass player.

Asia is a fine example of "prog rockers gone wrong". Their music is so cheesy, it's hilarious. I remember hearing them when they came out, I think I was 10 and hated it back then. It wasn't til several years ago that I discovered King Crimson, and was blown away that Wetton used to actually rock. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:41 pm 

Iron Maiden in July in Paris. I just can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 am 

seen Wayne Shorter and the Liverpool Philarmonic in January , and I am now anticipating

Roger Waters

and

Pentangle

Can't wait

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:28 pm 

Saw Robin Trower earlier this year and upcoming:

Liquid Tension Experiment
King Crimson
Return to Forever
Modern Drummer Festival Weekend
Buddy Rich Memorial concert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:22 am 

Already seen
Maranda Lambert
Gigantour
Van Halen

Soon to see this year
Zappa Playz Zappa
Yes
Skid Row
L.A. Guns
Stanley Jordan
& W/E I see that comes up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:48 pm 

Ugly Radio Rebellion with Ike Willis, at the Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Squirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:03 pm 

Already saw:
James "Blood" Ulmer
Charles Gayle Trio
Adrian Belew
Charlie Hunter
Russian Circles & Dalek
Dub Trio
Peter Brotzmann/Han Bennink duo
Dead Meadow
High On Fire

coming up:
Joe Lally/Thrones/Ocrilim
Mudhoney
Medeski Martin & Wood
Dethklok
Boris & Torche
Buckethead
hopefully ZPZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:35 pm 

PROGRESSIVE NATION 2008 (Dream Theatre, Opeth, Between the Buried & Me & 3): Vancouver, Orpheum Theatre, 05/06/08

This show sold out a few weeks ago but “drops” occurred on Friday evening and I just happened to be logged onto ticketmaster at the right time because I got a pair of 8th row centre tix (on the aisle). Disco Girl and I got to the autograph session line-up at Tom Lee Music just after 4pm. The line was very long, extending to Granville & Nelson. We struck up a conversation with a fan named Patrick. He didn’t have tix because of the fast sell out. So I told him about how I usually deal scalpers down below face value right before the show and that I’ve saved about $400 in the past two years doing this. He was surprised and said that he’d have to go to the closest ATM machine and get some money after the signing. We waited in line for about an hour and the line moved VERY slowly. The session was supposed to be over at 5pm but we met and got pics with Mike about 5:30pm. So I’m assuming the session lasted until probably 6pm? Anyways, I overheard Mike talking to a fan in front of us in line that they were going to do the full 2 hour set instead of the 90 minute set they’d been doing so far on this tour. And as soon as I heard that I inadvertently let out a “Yessssssss!” Mike immediately looked in my direction… LOL! When we met Mike I told him that I know DT can gross more back east (Montreal, Toronto & Quebec City), since they didn't play there this year...and that we were very thankful that they played here instead. Mike said, "No problem...we're looking forward to it." There was some stupid policy where the store wouldn’t allow you to take the pic yourself, so the employee that did, I later found out, didn’t do a very good job and consequently my pic didn’t come out that well, but her pic did.

From the opening lines of Constant Motion, I’ve never experienced a crowd go more apeshit for a band than on this night! The setlist was fucking phenomenal. EVERY member was ON last night, it was insane! Even though there were no songs from SDOIT or WD&DU, I loved it! The sound mix was near perfect - there were only a few times where I couldn’t quite make Jordan’s piano accompaniment and John’s arpeggios. James’ vocal mix was so perfect, that I just couldn’t believe it. I noticed Mike playfully throwing his stick to his tech on stage left and then a few seconds later, his tech throwing the same one (?) back. This happened a few times and Mike was actually playing one-handed during parts of the first few tunes! The highlight for me was definitely JR & JP’s unison line run in Panic Attack & of course since Awake is my favourite album, Erotomania & Voices - absolutely perfect! The only mistake I heard was when JM played one of the harmonic notes in the intro of As I Am, wrong. But no big deal. It was awesome to see DT stretch out a bit and improvise when JP and JR (can you say Zen Riffer?!) came out towards the front of the stage and dueled during Take The Time. On the screen, in the encore break, “The Dark Nintendo Night” was probably the funniest thing I’ve seen in awhile. Super Mario has apparently had a make-over and is now Mike Portnoy! Since this was DT’s first Vancouver appearance, Mike said at the end of the show that, “…it won’t take as long to come back here!” And judging by the turnout and the fan reaction, they definitely will. In fact, they’ll be able to fill about 75% of the Orpheum (2,800) by themselves, if they play this venue again next time, instead of 2/3, like last night.

We were very impressed with 3, especially the singer/acoustic guitarist. Jesus Christ, did they kill! Between the Buried & Me didn’t impress - too much cookie monster vocals and not enough melody. Opeth didn’t impress us that much even though I thought they would (I own the Roundhouse Tapes), for some of the same reasons why we didn’t get into BTB&M…not enough melody. The balance of their setlist wasn’t right IMO. But most fans wanted these two bands to play longer and expressed their disappointment that they didn’t. It was very funny when the aisles in the first ten rows filled up and became a major cluster during Opeth’s set. It took security a long time to even notice this and several minutes to clear the aisles. And even then, some fans came back down! LOL!

The demographic last night was quite diverse. I even saw one fan with a Motley Crue t-shirt! But this is prog after all, which obviously demands open-mindedness. I ran into several fans from local record stores and the local metal community. It felt like a family gathering or something.

I'd like to say to the fan a few rows in front of us on the aisle, who jumped up and caught Mike's stick...that I believe Mike was aiming for my girl, not you.:wink: She's less than five feet tall, so it would be hard for her to jump up and grab it.

At the merch booth, I bought a Systematic Chaos shirt ($35), the official bio (paperback), "Lifting Shadows" ($20) and the When Dream & Day Reunite DVD ($25).

I hope Patrick got in alright…

What a fantastic night! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SETLIST (115 minutes):

(Intro Video / 2008: An Ant Odyssey)
CONSTANT MOTION
PANIC ATTACK
STRANGE DEJA VU
THROUGH MY WORDS
FATAL TRAGEDY
EROTOMANIA
VOICES
FORSAKEN
AS I AM
THE MINISTRY OF LOST SOULS
TAKE THE TIME

Encore:

MEDLEY
I. TRIAL OF TEARS
II. FINALLY FREE
III. LEARNING TO LIVE
IV. IN THE NAME OF GOD
V. OCTAVARIUM

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:59 pm 

Saw in April:
Trouble

Going to see this spring/summer:
Iron Maiden
Fish
Jandek
Nadja
King Crimson
Nine Inch Nails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:34 am 

Can't see ZPZ for the third year in a row, 'cause I see Springsteen the night ZPZ is back in Atlantic City.

Ordered Jimmy Buffett tix yesterday, see him 6/14. Pretty sure that will be it.

But...if I get that promotion I think is in my future, I will go see someone else, so celebrate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 am 

Yow. When I saw this thread bubble back up to the top, I got scared for a moment because I thought I missed the Adrian Belew concert I thought was last night. I checked my calendar and it's NEXT week. Phew. Yesterday I was preoccupied with being sick so I totally could have forgotten about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:48 am 

Barry Manilow is coming here June 7. I won't make it :roll: , but anyone else sure can, if they are in the neighbourhood!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:07 am 

saw wartonite at the alameda county fair, low rider, spill the wine, world is a ghetto etc. after 40 odd years, they still fucking rock

take a little trip
take a little trip
take a little trip with me-ee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:45 am 

The first show I saw this year was in February when I saw The Legendary Roots Crew. Then in March I took my 12 year old nephew to see the Meat Puppets for his first concert and they were AWESOME! In April I went to see The Mars Volta and the next week I saw The Raconteurs.

This year we decided to go to Wakarusa instead of Bonnaroo and I'm not convinced it was a wise choice. Despite the rain and lightning spoiling all the fun, I was still able to see The Flaming Lips, David Grisman, Buckethead, Del The Funky Homosapian, The Yard Dogs Road Show and That 1 Guy. The reason I am disappointed in Wakarusa is because they canceled Zappa Plays Zappa, Mickey Hart and Emmylou Harris due to rain, but I did discover some new bands like Built To Spill, Tea Leaf Green, Papa Mali, Turbine and STS9.

As for the rest of the year, I have tickets to see The Black Keys open for Gnarls Barkley in Kansas City! I'm hoping Danger Mouse will sit in with the Keys! I'm also planning on seeing The Derek Trucks Band in Columbia, MO.

Plus, this summer there are some free shows like Tab Benoit, Umphrey's McGee and The Black Crowes that I want to see.

Oh, I almost forgot, last week I went to see Green Jello's triumphant return to the stage. I don't know why, but I did... and it was definitely something to see!

Post subject: concets?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 am 

rush last night. ZPA in raleigh. hopefully, next week in charlotte. willing to trade ride from boone to neighborhood theater for a ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 am 

Alice Cooper....on Halloween night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:06 pm 

NicHoLai wrote:

Damn.... .his new album looks pretty good too! Be sure to report back on that one.

Me, I'm playing live tomorrow afternoon with my band, at a party with about 300+ in attendance. I'm pretty pumped up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:26 pm 

Except for ZPZ, none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:26 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:

Damn.... .his new album looks pretty good too! Be sure to report back on that one.

Me, I'm playing live tomorrow afternoon with my band, at a party with about 300+ in attendance. I'm pretty pumped up.

Will there be a high quality download after the show on the Internet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next