Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 am 

I love your accent I_Know_Your_Name_Isn't_Fritz :wink:

Rescheduled Rolling Stones in November, which seems such a long way off right now......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 am 

Ok, yes - I'll be playing but I'd be attending even if I wasn't!

Next Tuesday, June 17th - come on out to Reggies (Chicago, IL) and catch our latest live show as we open for none other than Robby Krieger's Jam Kitchen - the legendary guitarist of The Doors accompanied with none other than *3* alumni of Frank Zappa: Arthur Barrow, Tommy Mars and Chad Wackerman. Doesn't get much better than this!

Facebook event link

Reggies event link

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm 

Damn, I can't make it on the 17th....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:39 pm 

Ha! That's got to be a short little bike ride from New Zealand, no? :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Mr. Science & The Tubes or as we know them now, Da Tubes. But even better is seeing them with folks that know how good these musicians are and have always been. 8)

So far it's KU with friends, Plook & Posse with the special extra attraction of .....ME and Uncle Meat from DZW. Maybe David McCain too! Life's good!

...and yesterday, I've been fighting the good fight and had 3 fucking felonies dropped from a case I caught back in Nov.'13. Three down and 1 miss-der-meaner to go. (she's a bitch [DA] who's sister had a house land on her) The wheels of justice turn slow and I turn even slower. Mwahaha! Beat them at they're own game. I got all the time in the world and am looking to make Butte County look bad in the press too. I love it when the professional dummies under estimate my professional talents and me as a decent human being. I make 'em pay for the assumption that I must be doing something wrong. (eye's be rollin' on the concrete fawn) Never judge people by the way they look. I have my reasons and if you talk to me you'd understand.....but nooo, they have to profile ya. I was taught not to judge a book by it's cover, but by the content inside. It still works for me. I have good friends. Even if some like Zappa as much as I do! :wink: 8)

Damnit, Kapt. Times are tough in Butte County. We were counting on your incarceration to get us through. :mrgreen:

They don't want to lock us freaks up, they'd have to feed us confinement loaf and house us. They just want to fine us and have us send them a check once a month. It's all about the money. :wink:

Quay/Fee Waybill said he doesn't remember The Tubes ever using the name MR. Science & The Tubes. Of course we both agreed that could have been a one off name and he and I might not remember it right because of all the Quayludes that were around us both back then. I did thank him for all the music and shows over the years. Nice guy and he did remember Bill Spooner's place up near Twin Peaks just above The Haight overlooking Kesar Stadium that I'd been to along time ago. ('76) BS is still alive and doing fine BTW. 8)

KU, what was the guitarist name? The guy was smokin', hell the whole band was rockin', which got the whole crowd going. If you got any closer you'd have been in the band! Nice spot for a show bro'. 8)

PiB, thanks for the links man. I listened to Sean Lennon's new songs and caught him on Jimmy Fallon the other night. He seems to be taking off where his dad left off tune wise. Reminded me of Dream#9 via Blue Jay Way Meets Magical Mystery Walrus in a Strawberry Fields groove goin' on AND he'll be 40 next year to I believe. That must be his old lady playin' in the band to then, nez pa'? His look was more like GH on All Thing Must Pass' cover imho. It could be the hat and that damn long hair and a beard. Bwahaha! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
PiB, thanks for the links man. I listened to Sean Lennon's new songs and caught him on Jimmy Fallon the other night. He seems to be taking off where his dad left off tune wise. Reminded me of Dream#9 via Blue Jay Way Meets Magical Mystery Walrus in a Strawberry Fields groove goin' on AND he'll be 40 next year to I believe. That must be his old lady playin' in the band to then, nez pa'? His look was more like GH on All Thing Must Pass' cover imho. It could be the hat and that damn long hair and a beard. Bwahaha! 8)

Yeah, I've been describing his new album as "Magical Mystery Tour" meets the Flaming Lips so I can definitely see that! :mrgreen:
Yes, Charlotte Kemp Muhl is his girlfriend. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:47 am 

Yeah, Kiirk. Like I told you the other night, I've never heard of that Mr. Science thing and I've been a Tubes devotee as long as I have been following Frank (since about 1976). They/Fee were always coming up with weird characters for the stage shows so that might have been something from their early days before they had a record deal. The Tubes came from two different Phoenix bands (The Beans and the Red, White, & Blues) who followed Prairie Prince out to SF who had an art scholarship. More later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Yeah, Kiirk. Like I told you the other night, I've never heard of that Mr. Science thing and I've been a Tubes devotee as long as I have been following Frank (since about 1976). They/Fee were always coming up with weird characters for the stage shows so that might have been something from their early days before they had a record deal. The Tubes came from two different Phoenix bands (The Beans and the Red, White, & Blues) who followed Prairie Prince out to SF who had an art scholarship. More later.

Ya, I remember you said The Tubes were two or three bands that merged some members together out here. The Prairie Prince name from AZ. sounds familiar separately too, but I can't figure out why it sounds so familiar. Did PP have a hit? Or an Alice Cooper & the AZ. connection maybe? Could be just the name too. :?
Anyway, Fee thought about it and said it might have been the name on a one off show, but he didn't remember using it. In the SF bay area there used to be a TV show with a Mr. Science. Maybe a band played one night under that name in N. Shore Tahoe and added "& The Tubes". If Mr. Waybill had been there I think I would have remembered. He's got a schnozz to rival FZ's! The lead singer of the band did have a Quay looking outfit on with foot high platforms and spandex glitter pants, but the rest up was more Twisted Sister than "Quay". That look was coming in back then. Maybe the shows archived at the North Shore Tahoe Youth Center. :mrgreen:

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Yeah, I've been describing his new album as "Magical Mystery Tour" meets the Flaming Lips so I can definitely see that! :mrgreen:
Yes, Charlotte Kemp Muhl is his girlfriend. :wink:

Any idea where she came from? Sounds like a German spider to me. :lol: Right about his sound, The Flaming Lips on the MMT with a little NIN's thrown in too. Nice fit. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:41 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Any idea where she came from? Sounds like a German spider to me. :lol: Right about his sound, The Flaming Lips on the MMT with a little NIN's thrown in too. Nice fit. 8)

She came from her mother....hardee har har! She's American if that's what you're asking. Got to hang with her quite a bit and she's super cool and "relatable".
I don't really see the NIN-end of things in their music but yeah - diggin' their sound for sure! Especially now that Robbie's playing guitar with them!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

She came from her mother....hardee har har! She's American if that's what you're asking. Got to hang with her quite a bit and she's super cool and "relatable".
I don't really see the NIN-end of things in their music but yeah - diggin' their sound for sure! Especially now that Robbie's playing guitar with them!

Maybe it's not NIN's singer I'm thinkin' about then, oh well. :oops: :|
That's freakin' cool Robbie's playin' with them though! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:55 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Maybe it's not NIN's singer I'm thinkin' about then, oh well. :oops: :|
That's freakin' cool Robbie's playin' with them though! 8)

EDIT: The GrandMothers are at Yoshi's Oakland, CA on the 28th this month. if anyone's interested. I'm to broke to go.

Q: If there's Sugar Daddy's, then why aren't there Sugar Mommy's? I want me a couple of them! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:38 pm 

Kapt. - back to my Tubes narrative and answer some of your questions. Prairie Prince is the name of the Tubes drummer (his real name btw). He's also been Todd Rundgren's drummer for the last 25 years or so. He always goes out with Todd first because he makes more money with him. The Tubes have a regular backup drummer for when Prairie is out on the road with Todd but for the most part they seem to schedule around Todd's tours. Prairie is a great designer, painter, and muralist as well and co-designed the Tubes album covers and has designed stage sets for other bands. Talented guy. Besides the Tubes and Todd he's also worked with Tommy Bolin, XTC, Mike Keneally, and others.

The guitar player is Roger Steen. Besides the Tubes I see he also gigs around the Bay Area with his own band these days. Back in the day Steen and Bill Spooner played together in the classic Tubes lineup. Spooner stopped playing with the Tubes in the late '80's. I read on Bill's website some years ago where he said he was a drug addict and had to get away from things to cleanup. He's had his own band that's also played around the Bay Area called the Folk Ups. He also is a guitar instructor. I sent him an email one time asking him if he could give me some online guitar lessons. He said he couldn't but if I was ever in the Bay Area to look him up.

Anyway, that's probably more Tubes info than you'll ever want to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 pm 

Thanks KU- The pieces just fell together and make sense now, thanx manx! When I went to a party at BS' house up on Twin Peaks back in the 70's I went with a couple who where friends of his. I met them through a friend who I lost to smack awhile back. Now it all fits. I had a feeling that was the drug of choice amongst some of the hanger on types, like that couple. That stopped me from bothering with them anymore. We used to call that couple the cave dwellers cause their flat was always so dark plus they didn't come out until after night fall and both were almost see though white. Maybe they were the model for WPOD! :mrgreen:
I'd love to catch any band Roger Steen's in and I'd go see The Tubes again anytime. Good freakin' show! I'm glad they made it out alive... Bill Spooner too. So that was Prairie Prince playing with them the other night then or is Todd on tour? The drummer was most excellent and the gals next to me thought so too. Your right, PP is one talented guy fer sure.
Next time you're in the Bay Area, you should take a few lessons from BS. He was a nice guy when I met him and he sounds like he's still cool 35-40 years on! I've seen the Folk Ups advertised at the Freight & Salvage club on San Pablo Ave. near Albany where I always stay. I'd like to see them too. 8)

If anyone wants to see The Grandmothers on the 28th, I've got a place to stay for as many as needed in Albany. Has a hot tub too! 8) :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:49 am 

That was Prairie Prince with the Tubes Saturday night. Todd is currently on tour in Ringo Starr's All-Star Band. I think the closest that gets to us is San Jose later this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:12 am 

KUIII wrote:
That was Prairie Prince with the Tubes Saturday night. Todd is currently on tour in Ringo Starr's All-Star Band. I think the closest that gets to us is San Jose later this summer.

Are you going to that show?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Are you going to that show?

I doubt it. I saw Ringo's first All-Starr Band back around 1990. It was his best one IMO. In that and was Joe Walsh, Dr. John, Billy Preston, Rick Danko and Levon Helm from the Band, Nils Lofgren and Clarence Clemons from the E Street Band, and Jim Keltner the great drummer, and of course Ringo. Not a bad lineup, huh?

This time besides Todd, he has Steve Lukather from Toto, Greg Rolie from Journey and Santana, the singer from Mister Mister and Greg Bissonette, a very good drummer who I remember most from being in the David Lee Roth Band with Steve Vai. Good musicians all, but not quite as legendary as that first group.

I think you're beginning to see how big of a music geek I am.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:14 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Kapt. - back to my Tubes narrative and answer some of your questions. Prairie Prince is the name of the Tubes drummer (his real name btw). He's also been Todd Rundgren's drummer for the last 25 years or so. He always goes out with Todd first because he makes more money with him. The Tubes have a regular backup drummer for when Prairie is out on the road with Todd but for the most part they seem to schedule around Todd's tours. Prairie is a great designer, painter, and muralist as well and co-designed the Tubes album covers and has designed stage sets for other bands. Talented guy. Besides the Tubes and Todd he's also worked with Tommy Bolin, XTC, Mike Keneally, and others.

The guitar player is Roger Steen. Besides the Tubes I see he also gigs around the Bay Area with his own band these days. Back in the day Steen and Bill Spooner played together in the classic Tubes lineup. Spooner stopped playing with the Tubes in the late '80's. I read on Bill's website some years ago where he said he was a drug addict and had to get away from things to cleanup. He's had his own band that's also played around the Bay Area called the Folk Ups. He also is a guitar instructor. I sent him an email one time asking him if he could give me some online guitar lessons. He said he couldn't but if I was ever in the Bay Area to look him up.

Prairie also toured with Jefferson Starship a few years back.
I've only seen him with Todd. There's an LA Tubes show on Aug. 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm 

In the early days Prairie had the choice to go with Journey or the Tubes. Creatively, I think he made the right choice with the Tubes but he probably would have made a lot more money if he had gone with Journey.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:54 pm 

coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Prairie also toured with Jefferson Starship a few years back.
I've only seen him with Todd. There's an LA Tubes show on Aug. 1st.

You should go. You'll get your money's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:00 am 

Last night caught the Wayne Shorter Quartet here in Bordeaux. John Patitucci + Brian Blade were mind blowing....I was truly amazed by Blade' drumming. W. Shorter is now an old man and is not honkin' like he used to but still a great player. They played a second set with the Bordeaux Symphony orchestra. Overall a very nice show.

The concert was almost cancelled due to the striking "Intermittents du Spectacle", who blocked the entrance to the hall for 45 minutes....They are not happy because the gov'ment wants to reform their "special" situation wherein, they have to WORK a minimum of 507 hours (about 12.5 weeks) in the year in order to receive full unemployment payments for the next......2 years.....

In 2009 100 000 of these "Public Service Roadies" received unemployment payments of 1.276 Billion Euros after having payed a paltry 223 Million euros into the system...And they wonder why the working class guy is not out there blockading concerts with them.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Last night caught the Wayne Shorter Quartet here in Bordeaux. John Patitucci + Brian Blade were mind blowing....I was truly amazed by Blade' drumming. W. Shorter is now an old man and is not honkin' like he used to but still a great player. They played a second set with the Bordeaux Symphony orchestra. Overall a very nice show.

The concert was almost cancelled due to the striking "Intermittents du Spectacle", who blocked the entrance to the hall for 45 minutes....They are not happy because the gov'ment wants to reform their "special" situation wherein, they have to WORK a minimum of 507 hours (about 12.5 weeks) in the year in order to receive full unemployment payments for the next......2 years.....

In 2009 100 000 of these "Public Service Roadies" received unemployment payments of 1.276 Billion Euros after having payed a paltry 223 Million euros into the system...And they wonder why the working class guy is not out there blockading concerts with them.....

These days I find it hard enough to summon up the energy to go out as it is, let alone having to put up with that crap, sacrebleu you could unintentionally get caught up in a riot..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 am 

Allan Holdsworth - Harlow's in Sacramento August 30th. No brainer for me. Bought my ticket a few minutes ago right after I saw the announcement. Jimmy Haslip on bass and Virgil Donati on drums. He's hitting the west coast first with some east coast dates later in the fall.

I'll get my Ian Anderson tix tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
Allan Holdsworth - Harlow's in Sacramento August 30th. No brainer for me. Bought my ticket a few minutes ago right after I saw the announcement. Jimmy Haslip on bass and Virgil Donati on drums. He's hitting the west coast first with some east coast dates later in the fall.

I saw this trio for free about two years ago. It was an AH clinic at a Carvin store. They were soooo good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 pm 

coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I saw this trio for free about two years ago. It was an AH clinic at a Carvin store. They were soooo good.

I've seen AH twice before. Chad was the drummer both times and I think Jimmy Johnson was the bass player both times. The first time they had a keyboard player (Alan Pasqua maybe?). The first time in the early '90's and the second time maybe 7 or 8 years ago. That first show made me realize that you can see some of the best musicians on the planet in a small room and helped foster a distaste for arena and amphitheater shows (not that I don't make an occasional exception). If a show's not in a theater or a club I've already got some serious prejudice going on. Festivals? Don't get me started.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:05 am 

Saw Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, Loose Fur, Mavis Staples etc...) solo last night. The Handsome Family opened and they sounded much the same since the last time I saw them in the mid-90s. Other than both bands having a love for Alt-Country, both had some GREAT noisy out-of-tune-on-purpose guitar solos!
Jeff played most of his new album (not out yet) in the first set with a band, then a bunch of favorites solo, then brought the band back for the last few.
They keep their guitar techs working. It seemed Jeff switched out guitars nearly every song, probably just to keep in tune cuz I think he maybe played about 4 total.
If you have seen the DVD "Sunken Treasure", you know that Jeff can get confrontational with the crowd and did not disappoint in that respect. As people got up to go to the bathroom he asked "Should I wait til you get back?". Lots of banter like that. After a song, someone cheerily stated "Good Job" and Jeff riffed on that for probably 5-10 minutes. Paraphrased: "If Neil Young was playing would you say 'Good Job'? But, it is a friendly thing to say and I think that should be the new thing. The next time I see AC/DC, I'm going to get front row seats and lean toward the stage and say 'Angus, good job'." The biggest laughs were when the Neil Young talk continued and he said at first humbly, that he thinks his catalog compares favorably with Neil Young. He then realizes that not everyone will think he's only joking so he says "Please, no one print that, don't tell anyone I said that. If you want me to quit music, never play again, end my career tomorrow, print that." Hahahaha
When asked if he knew where he was: "I know where I am, of course I am in Milwaukee! You know how we can tell that we are in Milwaukee? We had to show our sausages to get in! :)
Great show, I wish I had a recording for the music and the banter!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next