Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 am 

You're the 2nd person to hype "Sunken Treasure", Arkay - I'll have to check that one out! I just listened to 'Sky Blue Sky' yesterday too! :wink:
Don't forget - we're playing with Robby Krieger's Jam Kitchen tonight @ Reggies if you can make it!

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 am 

Sorry, I really wanted to go. My wife bought the Tweedy tix and I got a rare offer to get front row for Nick Cave on Friday, as well as us throwing a party on Saturday. Summer is kicking in with full force and its still technically a few days away!
Have a Great Show! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Sorry, I really wanted to go. My wife bought the Tweedy tix and I got a rare offer to get front row for Nick Cave on Friday, as well as us throwing a party on Saturday. Summer is kicking in with full force and its still technically a few days away!
Have a Great Show! :)

No worries Arkay - I know how that goes! We're playing on Thursday 7/31 at Quenchers next and since we won't be opening for a national, the video screens will be back out in full force! :wink:
Catch you soon!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:59 am 

Coming up...

ZPZ - 07/07/2014 - Ocean City, NJ

QOTSA - 07-20-2014 - Philly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm 

RK, just from your review I'd make Jeff Tweedy a "must see" if he plays out this way. :wink: 8)

Have a great show PiB! (you should record it if possible) :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:59 pm 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Allan Holdsworth - Harlow's in Sacramento August 30th. No brainer for me. Bought my ticket a few minutes ago right after I saw the announcement. Jimmy Haslip on bass and Virgil Donati on drums. He's hitting the west coast first with some east coast dates later in the fall.

I'll get my Ian Anderson tix tomorrow.

I saw this trio for free about two years ago. It was an AH clinic at a Carvin store. They were soooo good.

I've seen AH twice before. Chad was the drummer both times and I think Jimmy Johnson was the bass player both times. The first time they had a keyboard player (Alan Pasqua maybe?). The first time in the early '90's and the second time maybe 7 or 8 years ago. That first show made me realize that you can see some of the best musicians on the planet in a small room and helped foster a distaste for arena and amphitheater shows (not that I don't make an occasional exception). If a show's not in a theater or a club I've already got some serious prejudice going on. Festivals? Don't get me started.

You will dig Virgils' playing. He has a unique style.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
RK, just from your review I'd make Jeff Tweedy a "must see" if he plays out this way. :wink: 8)

Thanks Kiirk - I did! It was a fantastic sold-out show and the crowd couldn't have been more receptive! We pulled out "Tiny Lites" too :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Thanks Kiirk - I did! It was a fantastic sold-out show and the crowd couldn't have been more receptive! We pulled out "Tiny Lites" too :mrgreen:

Alright! Save me a copy or send a link to it. Thats quite the coup for you bro'! Can't wait to hear y'all in action-live! :wink: :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm 

I just got my assignment for the Davis Music Festival. 50 bands on 11 stages from Fri. night to Sunday afternoon. On Sat. I'll be at The Lodge from 7-9pm then Sofie's Tia Kitchen from 10 till midnight.

If any of the Zappafreaks from this area want to go, I've got an extra bed and room. Lotsa music, lotsa babes in short shorts. The whole shebang is only 20 bucks. Sorta' late notice I know, but there it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Do so Kiirk! There was a lot of new material for the 1st half of the show, but it always kept my innerest, good solos from the band n all. And the classic Wilco material is as good a listen with just Jeff on guitar and vocals.

PIB - Gimme a copy of that! :) Seriously, next time we're going to the same show we gotta trade some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:38 am 

PIB - Gimme a copy of that! :) Seriously, next time we're going to the same show we gotta trade some stuff.

Will do, man! I should have it prepped in the next few days...

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 am 

Went to Nick Cave at the Milwaukee Theater last night. Great show. The opening band was Warpaint, all girl 4 piece. Cool sound. Think new Luscious Jackson.
We got there early. That is Miss Kitty on the right.

So, it turned out that we had 3rd row, which was great. However, when Nick Cave started, it was pretty much a standing room show. Nick Cave waved people toward him in some kind of Mick Jagger / Shaman motion.

People would gather around him and he'd soak in the people groping him. Just off-stage, in the pit, one stage left, one stage right, he'd have a large road case that he would stand on, right in the middle of everyone. Sometimes, people just touching fingertips in a goggle-eyed mind-meld; sometimes you'd hear from the balcony "Get a Room". Anyone who wanted a handful, it seemed, got one.

And some would get invited on stage

Cool stage lighting...

Alotta struttin

Overall, a great show. That guy a few pics above with the violin, Warren Ellis, seemed to be in control of what was happening musically. There was a guitarist stage left who did the more standard guitar parts, while Ellis freaked out with crazy guitar solos, flute or violin with a pickup that sounded like he stole it from Chadbourne. The drummer used oversized, padded mallets alot. There was a 2nd drummer(also percussion,vibes, keyboards), as well as bassist and keyboardist, so 7 total. Musically, the most impressive thing about this band was the ability to play at full volume and then out of nowhere hit a blast of "11" that takes your breath away. Great volume control overall by these guys really lets Cave work the room.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 pm 

Nice pics and review. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:42 am 

Crimson ProjeKCt

The Studio, Auckland, New Zealand
Tuesday 24th of June 2014, 08:00 PM

Don’t miss out on a once in a
lifetime chance to see the PROG-ROCK
spectacular that is The Crimson ProjeKCt
perform the music of KING CRIMSON. The three
hour+ live show features sets by the ADRIAN
BELEW power trio and the STICK MEN before
all 6 musicians take to the stage to perform
as The Crimson ProjeKCt, and blow the bejeezus
out of the audience’s mind.

Gutted, I only heard about this tonight!
and I can't #@&%*@ make it.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:17 pm 

I first knew about the band - of Montreal - about a year ago. I had heard of them long before, but somehow got them confused with a different band that I hate, so I ignored them. Anyway, about a year ago, I figured out that they were on the Elephant 6 label, so I checked out Satanic Panic in the Attic. A couple months ago, we got tickets for the Chicago Pitchfork festival, which will include a performance by the Circulatory System, and Neutral Milk Hotel, both on the Elephant 6 label. So, for the last few months, I've checked out several more albums on Elephant 6 and many by of Montreal (alot of them are on youtube as full albums). Just yesterday, I found out that they are on tour, so I got tickets for their October Madison, WI show. Then, today, I find out that there is a documentary about the band. It will have only one theater performance in the Chicago area at the Music Box on Wednesday. So, I've already got tickets...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm 

I first knew about the band - of Montreal - about a year ago. I had heard of them long before, but somehow got them confused with a different band that I hate, so I ignored them. Anyway, about a year ago, I figured out that they were on the Elephant 6 label, so I checked out Satanic Panic in the Attic. A couple months ago, we got tickets for the Chicago Pitchfork festival, which will include a performance by the Circulatory System, and Neutral Milk Hotel, both on the Elephant 6 label. So, for the last few months, I've checked out several more albums on Elephant 6 and many by of Montreal (alot of them are on youtube as full albums). Just yesterday, I found out that they are on tour, so I got tickets for their October Madison, WI show. Then, today, I find out that there is a documentary about the band. It will have only one theater performance in the Chicago area at the Music Box on Wednesday. So, I've already got tickets...

Cool - I listened to an album of theirs once and a tune here or there but they never "took". If you recommended one "starter" album, what would it be?

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:24 pm 

Clearly I am not an expert on this band, but it seems that Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? is the recognized favorite. My fav is Satanic Panic in the Attic, most likely because I've heard it for a year now. I listened to the newest one just today Lousy with Sylvianbriar . I'd say its easy to like, but I'll need more listens before it sinks in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm 

Also, while opinions are opinions, I found this list of recommended Elephant 6 albums helpful.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/diverseity/the_elephant_6_collective__a_beginners_guide_in_20_steps/

(Yes, of course, it rates Satanic Panic in the Attic higher than Hissing Fauna.. go figure.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:17 pm 

Arkay, i am a huge of Montreal fan and just enjoyed you mentioning them.
i too started with Satantic Panic. for me, Kevin Barnes is as close to genius as our beloved FZ.

and the movie, i contributed to the kickstarter for it and got an early download just the other day. i've all ready seen it twice, as i'm that hardcore, but i will let you know it's less about the music (the best thing about this band) and more about how KB is an insensitive bandleader with no qualms about ditching his band to pursue new musical avenues. watching this movie i didn't feel all that sorry for the old band being an FZ freak and being used to seeing how Frank could break up the original Mothers and fire/let huge monster talents leave the band without sentimentality. i wish they would have focused on the songs a little more. i did enjoy it but i'm not sure how a non-harcore average fan will like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:37 pm 

Thanks for the foreshadowing without giving too much away. Any must-hears off of the lesser rated albums? There are a lot of albums and I've only heard 6 or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:05 pm 

my top two would be The Gay Parade and Skeletal Lamping. i kinda have a soft spot for the weirder shit but that goes for most bands.
an album you're probably not going to hear a lot about that you should is their second, The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy which starts off so upbeat and twee but slowly devolves into a beautiful downer. i could listen to You Feel You Must Go, Don't Go! a hundred times and will always marvel at its perfect too-sad-pop.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Q4-9PLj56ik?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Q4-9PLj56ik?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 pm 

Helped out at a festival in worcestershire called Mappfest.
Most of the acts were very good, but one in particular was astounding...
- This Wicked Tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP02lKtUQo8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 pm 

www.adrianbelew.net/tour/

Adrian just announced a "Massive North American Tour" for his power trio. They hit my neck of the woods on 11/11/14.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:19 pm 

myourself wrote:
my top two would be The Gay Parade and Skeletal Lamping. i kinda have a soft spot for the weirder shit but that goes for most bands.
an album you're probably not going to hear a lot about that you should is their second, The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy which starts off so upbeat and twee but slowly devolves into a beautiful downer. i could listen to You Feel You Must Go, Don't Go! a hundred times and will always marvel at its perfect too-sad-pop.

Well, I've listened to some more and am finding both similarities and differences between the albums. I'm sure some fans of the vaudeville sing-songs are not the same fans of Skeletal Lamping. Each album has some things to offer it seems.
It is a band that has alot of accessories to enjoy such as the titles of the tunes. A tune can be given any old name and I'll still give it a chance, but the willingness to make fun sounding titles like Y the Quale and the Vaguely Bird Noisly Enjoying Their Forbidden Tryst is commendable.

I wonder a bit about the fact that they loooove vocal production, but don't mind excessive nasal tones. Many songs bum me out because they suffer from Crispin Gloverishness.

I wonder about the mixes. I'm only listening to youtube stuff, so I'm wondering if the cds/vinyl sound much better. When you have indie albums, or albums that introverts put together in a basement, sometimes the best mix is still just an ok mix.

For the movie, I agree they should have focused on the music more. There are many albums, so that is hard, but they didn't really dig into any of them, just glossing over on the way to the rest of Kevin's drama.
The movie is 1 hour 15 minutes. I can't figure out why they didn't just add some more tunes or play longer cuts of the ones they did play to make it an hour and a half. So many tunes were just played for 20 seconds at a time. I'm wondering if they had ANY tunes in the movie that were played the whole way through? Give me some more of the costume stuff in Europe or the live stuff with the horse or anything live really. I don't see alot of live albums in the catalog. Most everything in the movie was a tease that way.
Some of the time-lines were weird. They would talk about how Kevin broke up with his wife and they show her on tour with them, kinda confusing. So, even though the main part of the story was Kevin's drama, it still sorta didn't tell the story very well.
As for music specifically, it is the same as most music documentaries, in which they talk about how it felt to make the music, where they made it, who they made it with, how late they were up or how quickly it went, but not what they actually did. What equipment and productions methods besides starting out with a 4-track? What parts were important to Kevin? What are his writing methods? For False Priest, the method was to stack tracks until it sucked to add more, not the best way imo. I mean this in the best possible way: I don't think it matters as much with someone like Kevin who deals with constant catharsis.
Overall, I know more about the band with some tidbits here and there that I wouldn't have known otherwise, so I'm glad I saw the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 pm 

On Friday I won a pair of tix at work to the Queen + Adam Lambert show that took place last night at Rogers Arena. So I took a co-worker that another co-worker told me was a fan.

And while I wasn't expecting much since of course Freddie isn't with us any longer and Deacon has retired, I was impressed with Lambert's singing and vocal range, especially since I'm not familiar with him. Brian May still can play well and for the most part delivered what was expected, despite messing up some of the notes in Bohemian Rhapsody. Though, there were more than a few downsides: during the extremely difficult harmony sections in Bohemian Rhapsody, instead of performing it live, they had the original audio/video play on the screen, which is basically what I expected to happen. Also, some of the backing vocals in other tunes were canned for some of the same technical reasons. Another oddity was that May's solo went on WAY too long. I think it was probably close to 10 minutes. The beginning of it sounded so unlike him and was very Floydian in style, it was as if David Gilmour were playing instead. Roger Taylor and his son engaged in a cool drum duel/solo but it almost seemed unnecessary. And consequently, at times it seemed like they were stretching out show. There was no opener and it was barely 2 hours and probably would've been 90 minutes without the extensive solos and more than lengthy dialogue in between songs.

My co-worker REALLY enjoyed the show, while I thought it was good, not great. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it, especially since the seats weren't cheap. The show was a virtually sell-out, with about 12,000 in attendance.

SETLIST:

Now I'm Here
Stone Cold Crazy
Another One Bites the Dust
Fat Bottomed Girls
In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited
Seven Seas of Rhye
Killer Queen
Somebody to Love
I Want It All
Love of My Life
'39
These Are the Days of Our Lives
Drum Solo
Under Pressure
Love Kills
Who Wants to Live Forever
Guitar Solo
Tie Your Mother Down
Radio Ga Ga
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
The Show Must Go On
Bohemian Rhapsody

Encore:

We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next