Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Wow - very surprised by your polar review from mine of the DWG show. I'd give it a C-. Dean's guitar playing was awesome and there were moments where the band killed it but I felt the songwriting was completely absent and the singer didn't demonstrate any real charisma or melodic gift. It made me want to see the upcoming Freeman show even more. I've since listened to some more Moistboyz and see that DWG is clearly more MB than Ween but man, only 3 Ween tunes in the set and 2 of those being b-sides was a big downer. I saw Aaron's 1st setlist with Freeman and was thrilled to see way more Ween in there (not to mention, I really dig his new release - which I didn't think would be that great).

Different strokes, I guess - right, Arkay? :wink:
Well, cool that you were there. I thought alot of Ween fans might not show up, as fans of the Ween songs might be disappointed by the much more aggressive Moistboyz. I didn't go into it thinking they would play a ton of Ween, so I was glad to get the few that we got. I'm definitely more of a Dean Fan than a Gene Fan. Granted Gener was more of the word-guy and I'd love to go see his solo show, but I think King Crimson or something is playing the same night. But, I wouldn't compare Guy with Gene. Guy does a few things well, but that's enough. I think the Iggy comparisons are more appropriate even though people get sick of that.
Oh, and I'm on the opposite of Aaron's album... I thought it would be great and there have been only a couple tunes that have stuck with me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Well, cool that you were there. I thought alot of Ween fans might not show up, as fans of the Ween songs might be disappointed by the much more aggressive Moistboyz. I didn't go into it thinking they would play a ton of Ween, so I was glad to get the few that we got. I'm definitely more of a Dean Fan than a Gene Fan. Granted Gener was more of the word-guy and I'd love to go see his solo show, but I think King Crimson or something is playing the same night. But, I wouldn't compare Guy with Gene. Guy does a few things well, but that's enough. I think the Iggy comparisons are more appropriate even though people get sick of that.
Oh, and I'm on the opposite of Aaron's album... I thought it would be great and there have been only a couple tunes that have stuck with me.

That's what makes music so great, right? That both of us would think so differently about both of those projects. I appreciate that! :mrgreen:
Yeah, it was unfair of me to compare Guy to Gene but having had little exposure to the Moistboyz before the show, it was somewhat of an inevitable comparison.
I dismissed Aaron's album until some others recommended it and I gave it a shot so yes, perhaps the perspective helped. :wink:
Wish I would've known you were there though - I would've said hey!

Cheers...

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm 

Nice shots, Arkay. Thanks for sharing.

DWG- Sweet Jane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtdN4zUth4

Freeman - Play My Guitar https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcaf ... +my+guitar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:17 am 

Yes, thanks for this, Arkay.
I had no idea there was/is even a DWG out there.

You have opened a door.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:33 am 

Awrite! :)

Thanks for the links, I didn't know they had covered Sweet Jane. 9 min version too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:58 pm 

Holdsworth tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm 

Waiting for Tull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:15 pm 

coevad wrote:
Waiting for Tull

Me too. Sept. 15.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 am 

Holdsworth was great. Got lucky and got a good table with a real cool couple (one of the last seated options and quite necessary as my buddy has MS and can't stand for extended periods). Third time seeing Allan but first time seeing Jimmy Haslip and Virgil Donati. Man, is Donati ever a fantastic drummer. Maybe the best I've ever seen in person. I dug Haslip's playing too so all in all probably my favorite Holdsworth band I've seen of the three (Chad Wackerman was the drummer the two other times and Jimmy Johnson the bass player). The sound was real good to my ears though Allan complained to the soundboard at one point about some reverb that was "really bugging" him. Allan also told the audience that photos were OK but no filming as there "was already enough shit out there". Allan was as great as ever. He has gained quite a bit of weight since I saw him last time and he seemed to be moving kind of slow going on and off the stage (he is 68 now). Hopefully, he is healthy and can take some weight off so he can keep it up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41 pm 

Warmfest was a good time in Indianapolis. This was a far cry from Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza or Summerfest... but not as much of the hellscape that those all can be too. It was relaxed, which was good because we drove a marathon 4 hours there, stayed 8 hours and drove 4 hours back. Today is for recovery.
They had several food trucks, which at some festivals is an added attraction, but here the only ones that seemed good were the Pierogi's and the Lobster Rolls, the rest were variations on crap. I probably should have got a pic of the Pierogi truck, but instead we have a pic of the menu with the Frito Bag that they pour ground beef n stuff into.

I wanted to check out "Why?", but we forgot about the difference in time zones and got there right after they finished. We saw most of Sebadoh and they were better than I remembered them. They were kinda cool in the 90s and one tune about Indie Rock got the crowd going.

Half Japanese is a band I've heard a tune from here and there, but never seen before. I think it was great that even though the crowd for them was small, they were into it and that in itself is kinda weird. Their disjointed outsider art stuff can be annoying, but overall they won over the crowd.

Looks like he mighta made a few mods on his bass

They had a great look of determination and fun, but also strangely concentrating like they were studying for a really difficult test that might go bad.
I've heard alot of versions of Around and Around, but never one as confusing as this, as though I wasn't sure why they were playing it. It didn't groove, it didn't jam, it just sorta commenced, in an honest "I meant to do that" kinda way.
After his set, he rolled out his suitcase, sat down and started getting his pedals together.

I didn't know alot about Mutemath, but enjoyed their stuff. Enough low end to make my nose vibrate.

Kevin Barnes stood around on stage holding his guitar for about a half an hour before of Montreal started.

For most of their show, it looked like this.

But, every other song or so, other characters joined the stage, such as these guys

The balloons went across the audience for quite a while

I couldn't quite figure out what was up with these folks

That wasn't all of the characters. We were a bit back, on the right, and I'd run up and take a pic now and then, but I didn't even write down the tracklist. So, from memory...

Requiem for OMM2
Spike the Senses
Wraith Pinned to the Mist
Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider
Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
Coquet Coquette
She Aint Speaking Now
Grodlandic Edit
Suffer for Fashion
The Party's Crashing Us
Oslo in the Summertime
For Our Elegant Caste
She's a Rejecter
Disconnect the Dots

I'm sure I forgot at least 1 or 2 titles and there were probably that many that I didn't recognize. KB works hard as a guitarist and tries to condense some fairly complex mixes into a stage format. Sometimes, I hoped for a couple more instruments to fill out the mix, but thats picky. With all the craziness, I'm wondering how this is gonna go down in October when I see them at a small theater.

Strangely, while there was the usual market areas setup to sell crap, there weren't booths set up for Band Merch. So, I didn't get any t-shirts. There was a company pressing vinyl on the spot, and of Montreal made a special pressing of a single on clear vinyl titled "Empyrean Abattoir". I got #3 of 75 made! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:53 pm 

I was in NYC last May and saw.....
Susie Ibarra- The Stone
Murder Junkies- Trash Bar, Brooklyn
Jeff Tain Watts- Village Vanguard. This was his final show of the week at the Vanguard and Wynton Marsalis sat in for a few songs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:21 pm 

Arkay,
i've been meaning to tell you about that special on-the-spot vinyl but i've been forgetting.
'Empyrean Abattoir' is the title of a song on the extras of the Song Dynasties DVD (early version of The Past Is a Grotesque Animal) performed solo by Kevin Barnes. did the band perform this live? and is this song featured on said vinyl?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 am 

The vinyl looks great, with KB signed on the back and "Scythe Folk" written under. The vinyl is clear and still in square form. However, the recorded level is ridiculously low. I have about 1000 vinyl albums and very few of them have as much crackle as this and its totally new. It looks flawless. But, in order to listen to it, you have to crank up the volume so that the music is about the same volume as the crackle. I processed it enough to be a medium-sized fireplace and listenable, but I don't think It'll be played a lot soon. I don't recognize the song and don't think they played it live, but it is just KB on guitar and singing. It is about 3:41.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 am 

I saw White Boy James & The Blues Express yesterday at The New Blues Festival in Long Beach CA. Great show!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am 

Saw only two shows in August - Boris w/ The Atlas Moth in Buffalo, and OFF! in Cleveland which featured Dale Crover on drums. Both killer shows.

Busy fall here:
Man Or Astroman? w/ The Pack A.D. 9/09 Buffalo
King Crimson 9/10 Albany
Nik Turner's Hawkwind 9/16 Rochester (maybe)
Indian Handcrafts 9/18 Buffalo
Aaron Freeman 9/19 Rochester (maybe)
Black Cobra 9/20 Rochester
Charlie Hunter/Scott Amendola 9/23 East Aurora
Jucifer 9/28 Rochester
Mike Watt & il Sogno del Marinaio 10/08 Buffalo
Adrian Belew Trio 10/30 Buffalo
Primus & The Fungi Ensemble 11/02 Rochester

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
OFF! in Cleveland which featured Dale Crover on drums.

*jealouses*
Stupid question alert: how did Dale do with the OFF! material?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:25 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
OFF! in Cleveland which featured Dale Crover on drums.

*jealouses*
Stupid question alert: how did Dale do with the OFF! material?

Oh fuck :shock: . He was a powerhouse and slayed. Added his own style to it. Mario is awesome, but nobody plays like Dale, probably my fave drummer. He's the reason I went and drove 3 hrs. Saw OFF! before, last in spring '11. They've got a lot more songs now. There's a few shows up on youtube from the tour with Dale.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
but nobody plays like Dale, probably my fave drummer.

You took the words right out of my head.

I am going to check into those youtube clips.
Thanks for the headsup!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 am 

Caught the Sun Ra Arkestra Sunday night @ the Chicago Jazz Fest and even though Sun Ra is no longer with us - I thought they did an EXCELLENT job!
Marshall Allen still layin' down strong at 90!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:11 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Caught the Sun Ra Arkestra Sunday night @ the Chicago Jazz Fest and even though Sun Ra is no longer with us - I thought they did an EXCELLENT job!

Cool, is that band local? I'm wondering who was in it. I used to run sound for Mars Williams once a week and he'd do a variety of ensembles, including one that did Sun Ra pieces. Curious if this included Kent Kessler, Jeb Bishop, Fred Longberg-Holm, Ken Vandermark or Jim Baker. I've been away from the local jazz scene too long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

Cool, is that band local? I'm wondering who was in it. I used to run sound for Mars Williams once a week and he'd do a variety of ensembles, including one that did Sun Ra pieces. Curious if this included Kent Kessler, Jeb Bishop, Fred Longberg-Holm, Ken Vandermark or Jim Baker. I've been away from the local jazz scene too long.

It was a *huge* lineup! According to the website, it looks like I witnessed:
MARSHALL ALLEN
CHARLES DAVIS
MICHAEL RAY
JOHN ORE
FRED ADAMS
KNOEL SCOTT
VINCENT CHANCEY
CECIL BROOKS
DANNY RAY THOMPSON
ABSHALOM BEN SHLOMO
REY SCOTT
DAVE DAVIS
ELSON NASCIMENTO
CRAIG HOLIDAY HAYNES
D. HOTEP
YAHYA ABDUL-MAJID
KASH KILLION
BILL DAVIS
TYLER MITCHELL
JUINI BOOTH
FARID ABDUL-BARI BARRON
JAMES STEWART
CRAIG HARRIS
WAYNE ANTHONY SMITH JR.
TARA MIDDLETON
ATAKATUNE (STANLEY MORGAN)

Based on what I witnessed, I'd say Sun Ra would have been very proud!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 am 

Ian Anderson - Sept 18th
King Crimson - Oct 1st

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:30 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

The Ark tours with a roughly 12 piece made up (I imagine) of the list from their website as copied above. There's loads of important developments going on with "the biz."
Here: http://sunraarkive.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:48 am 

Thanks brainpang! The lineup at the Chicago Jazz Festival was definitely bigger but, then again, they were headlining an entire festival *in* Chicago *celebrating* 100 years of Sun Ra. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:15 am 

Irwin Chusid is now the "Administrator for Sun Ra LLC"! Author of Songs in the Key of Z... good book / cd, which is linked in the article.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next