Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 60  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 pm 

3/15 - Radiohead (it was amazing)
3/17 - Flogging Molly

Craig Chaquico is coming soon in April, i'd like to go see him (again)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 am 

Alcohol: $0.00
Coffee: $50.00
Concert ticket: $417.00
Food: $300.00
Fuel: $200.00
Hotel: $500.00
Masseuse: $150.00*
Merchandise: $80.00
Speeding ticket: $80.00
Stimulant's: $150.00*

Total: $1927.00
*medicinal

Seeing Roger Waters The Wall 2012: priceless

Great seats a sensation shocking emersive 9 rows from the stage, a little left of centre (coincidentally the same was noted in my 1967 school report card) and very excellent 5 star surround sound system turned up to 11. A mind blowing production containing the usual Pink Floyd fare: dazzling light show on stage and on us (at times you felt like an escaped prisoner), stunning full on pyrotechnics, crashing plane, and that was all in the first 2 minutes. Great 10 Metre tall inflatable puppets at times dangling right above us, the massive movie quality projections blasting across the full 70 Metre wide 11 Metre high wall and the music ah the music, oh and don't forget the flying pig buzzing about. Political Roger has updated the wall for 2012 with a dizzying array of anti corporate, anti government, anti poverty and anti war messages. Some of the original film animations were used and many new and improved ones to. Some using major bank, car, computer and oil company logos, major currency and religimus symbols, with a few hammer & sickles and swastika's thrown in for luck, all falling from the projected bombers. all the hot button issues were pushed. Slogans included were: i Believe, i Follow, i Greed, i Lead, i Learn, i Profit, i Protect, i Resist, i Want, trust us, buy this, do that. All the iconic 20th century pictures of Mao, Stalin, Che, Ghandi, Mandala (what no Bieber) the pained faces of famine ravaged children, bandaged bomb victims, mass graves many with photo shopped ubiquitous white ear bud leads. During the interval sobering Images and bio's of the fallen from the many war's and acts of terrorism old and new were playing across the wall, at times there was hardly a dry eye in the house, I got sob confetti in my eye sob. (This from a ghost that in 1983 inexplicably burst into tears watching David Bowie performing space oddity on his serious moonlight tour, I still blame 60 oz's of Jack Daniels) Now 68 Roger's in good form, great (grate) voice, plenty of emotion, didn't phone it in. During in the flesh he whipped out a machine gun concealed beneath the folds of his leather coat and with a wry smile strafed the audience, he looked like he was enjoying it way to much, I took two to the chest, but was saved by my zpz overnight sensation tee. The completed wall was used to great effect throughout, with many of the images seemingly 3D, and Roger interacting with it by shooting pictures of random war mongers (you know who you are) off the wall, punching or banging his head against the wall and initiating some more eye popping footage. Sections of the wall opened up revealing the hotel room or the individual musicians, it was all very very impressive. Most of the show was like being in a 12,000 strong multi national choir/karaoke night come multi media event, everyone knew and sang all the lyrics and spoke all the background tv chatter etc word for word, their was a guy behind me providing harmonies in french! Fantastic sound and good use of the swirling surround sound effects. All the lads were on fire, Snowy White and his legendary 1959 Les Paul Goldtop (allegedly stolen from Snowy by Earl Slick at a blues festival in 1999. In 2003 while Slick was performing on Bowies Reality tour Snowy casually entered stage left strolled accross and took his guitar off its stand and exited stage right, seen but unrecognised only by the drummer and audience) The lefty Dave Kilminster, almost mimicking David Gilmour note for note with little embellishment. A great intimate acoustic duet with Snowy and G E Smith on 12 string. Most of the band have been performing Floyd with Roger on and off for years, the tour at this point is a year and a half old, so thier carving style is well rehearsed.
Roger played a moving sob sob version of Mother on his Martin accoustic accompanying a black and white movie (tour de Frank style) of a very young looking quote "poor miserable little fucked up Roger" playing bass at a 1980 wall concert in Earls Court. There was a really nice vibe to the whole event, which ended with the band playing the final derge; out side the wall, Roger on trumpet and yet another confetti shower. Pompous prog rock is alive and well.

Before the lights went down every one was dressed sharp and acting cool, as the lights went down, I noticed those around me discreetly putting on thier glasses, I suspect the average age was around 45 to 50, row 9 only safety glasses required.

I laughed I cried I kissed NZ$1927.00 goodbye, and it was worth every cent.

Every gun that is made,
every warship launched,
every rocket fired,
signifies in the final sence
a theft
from those who hunger and are not fed
those who are cold and are not clothed

Dwight D Eisenhower.

I liked Ike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:03 pm 

Nice!

So far this year, it's only...

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre
May 26 ~ Roger Waters (The Wall Live), BC Place Stadium
June 2 ~ Henry Rollins, Vogue Theatre

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 pm 

Wow there's hardly anything fun to do since they made music illegal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:15 am 

Saw Primus yesterday. :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 pm 

I'm going to see the Grandmothers of Invention! Napoleon Murphy Brock, Don Preston and Tom Fowler! Can't wait! And I might possibly see Flo & Eddie this summer too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:56 am 

Yesterday I saw Der Familie Popolski. It's really funny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:02 pm 

Just got back from Primus! Flirted with Les and got a setlist!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm 

BBP wrote:
Just got back from Primus! Flirted with Les and got a setlist!

I'm going to see them do "an evening with" in May - Syracuse, will be my 8th show since '97. If they don't bust out either Glass Sandwich/Year Of The Parrot/On The Tweek Again/Prof. Nutbutter from Punchbowl, The Air Is Getting Slippery, Welcome To This World, Hamburger Train, DMV from Pork Soda, or anything from Brown besides Shake Hands W/ Beef & Over The Falls, it'll be somewhat of a letdown. I read that Jay Lane is up for playing anything, it's up to Les whether he wants to relearn some tunes.

Last fall's show in Rochester was great. Rarest ones were Shake Hands w/ Beef(first time w/ Jay) & Electric Grapevine. The whole new album was great live. I'm not sure if they're doing that as a 2nd set again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm 

Roger Fucking Waters!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Roger Fucking Waters!

How was it for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 am 

Simply Tremenjous :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:53 pm 

fIREHOSE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I'm going to see them do "an evening with" in May - Syracuse, will be my 8th show since '97. If they don't bust out either Glass Sandwich/Year Of The Parrot/On The Tweek Again/Prof. Nutbutter from Punchbowl, The Air Is Getting Slippery, Welcome To This World, Hamburger Train, DMV from Pork Soda, or anything from Brown besides Shake Hands W/ Beef & Over The Falls, it'll be somewhat of a letdown. I read that Jay Lane is up for playing anything, it's up to Les whether he wants to relearn some tunes.

Last fall's show in Rochester was great. Rarest ones were Shake Hands w/ Beef(first time w/ Jay) & Electric Grapevine. The whole new album was great live. I'm not sure if they're doing that as a 2nd set again.

This is what they played last thursday in Cologne:

Set 1

01. Intro
02. Here Come The Bastards
03. Fisticuffs
04. Puddin' Time
05. American Life
06. Over The Falls
07. Mrs. Blaileen
08. Jerry Was A Race Car Driver
09. Harold Of The Rocks

Set 2

01. Prelude to a Crawl
02. Hennepin Crawler
03. Last Salmon Man
04. Eternal Consuption Engine
05. Tragedy's a'Comin'
06. Eyes of the Squirrel
07. Jilly's on Smack
08. Lee Van Cleef
09. Moron TV
10. Green Ranger
11. Hoinfodaman
12. Extinction Burst
13. Salmon Men
14. Crowd
15. Pre-Encore

Encore

16. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
17. Too Many Puppies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

March 30th - Allan Holdsworth w/ Virgil Donati on drums.
April 7th - Buckethead
April 18th - The Belle Brigade
May 8th - The Grande Mothers of Re-Invention
May 23rd - The Aristocrats
June 15th - Los Straitjackets
July 18th - Dweezil Zappa plays Zappa
and possibly Rush on September 20th

Last edited by zappahead311 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:03 pm 

zappahead311 wrote:
April 7th - Buckethead
May 8th - The Grandmothers of Re-Invention
and possibly Rush on July 5th

Rush is playing in July? Where? Their tour doesn't start till September. Nice list by the way. I don't know too many other people besides myself who are down with both Prog and Los Straitjackets. And I don't know anyone else who even knows who The Aristocrats are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am 

blsabob23 wrote:
Rush is playing in July? Where? Their tour doesn't start till September. Nice list by the way. I don't know too many other people besides myself who are down with both Prog and Los Straitjackets. And I don't know anyone else who even knows who The Aristocrats are.

thanks, you are correct. i fixed the original post. don't know what i was thinking. i also forgot probably the best of my list, Holdsworth with my favorite drummer on the planet in a place that holds about 300, tops. but the aristocrats and straitjackets shows are in teeny tiny venues as well. all so far have been front row.

here is a picture of me with Allan after the show.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am 

GWAR and Kylesa were great the other night.

Stickmen, tomorrow
Dirt Daubers 5/15
Primus 5/20
The Thing w/ Joe McPhee 6/12
ZPZ 6/26
Fishbone 6/29
Melvins Lite 7/1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:30 pm 

zappahead311 wrote:
March 30th - Allan Holdsworth w/ Virgil Donati on drums.
April 7th - Buckethead
May 8th - The Grande Mothers of Re-Invention
and possibly Rush on September 20th

i also forgot February 17th - Umphrey's McGee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm 

none

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 pm 

Trailer Par Boys Variety Show last night.

Bubbles warms up with some "Limelight"
the Boys conduct a shredding contest.
Bubbles and Mick rock "Liquor and Whores.
http://youtu.be/ci6LJJjLRvQ

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:10 am 

Saw Mick Taylor last night. Tickets were $55.00, dinner was $95.00 (burger and three drinks!). He went on at 8:20 and set ended at 8:55. He did play Can't you Hear Me Knocking; which was great. Also, he's a better singer than I realized.

For me its been the year of the geezer guitar player. I have seen Robin Trower, Johnny Winter, Jorma Kaukonen, and now Mick Taylor. Seeing ZPZ in July 12 in Tarrytown.

Also, I'm embarassed to admit it, but I saw Bon Jovi in Las Vegas. I also went to a concert that I will never admit to, at least on this Board.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm 

Saw Spiritualized last Wednesday. Cool show, place was sold out. I'll have You Tube vids soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 am 

I've got Arthur Brown coming up in November. Should be good.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 pm 

UPDATED:

Jan. 26 ~ Concrete Blonde, Richshaw Theatre
May 26 ~ Roger Waters (The Wall Live), BC Place Stadium
June 2 ~ Henry Rollins, Vogue Theatre (possibly)
July 2 ~ Dream Theater w/ Crimson ProjeKct, Gibson Amphitheater, Universal City, CA
July 3 ~ Dream Theater w/ Crimson ProjeKct, The Grove Of Anaheim, Anaheim
Aug. 3 ~ Rodger Hodgson, River Rock Show Theatre
Oct. 5 ~ Steve Vai, Commodore Ballroom
Nov. 12 ~ Leonard Cohen, Rogers Arena
Nov. 13 ~ Rush, Key Arena, Seattle

I think I originally reviewed The Wall Live when I first saw it here back in Dec. 2010 and others here who have seen the show did a very good job reviewing it, so I won't write a lengthy review this time...

The Wall Live was once again, a fantastic show! I initially saw this tour next door at Rogers Arena about 18 months ago but I felt this concert was a bit better overall. There were a few differences this time but they mainly included a much larger wall, stage and fanatic enthusiasm. I wasn't sure if this particular show would work in a football stadium but once the surround sound effects kicked in (matching the exact effects heard in certain songs on the album), mixed with the nearly perfect live sound, I was quite shocked at how good the aural presentation was. Performance wise, it was of course enjoyable and impressive (despite some of Waters' canned vocals). But the visual, theatrical and animated presentation was where it was at and really was the star of the show. When it came to these three elements, you just couldn't hope for a better concert experience. And I truly doubt anyone's going to top it anytime soon. I spent a pretty penny in 2010 to see The Wall Live, so this time I bought an upper deck seat in the second row, nearly dead centre and had a virtual panoramic view of the interior of BC Place. Attendance was 37,000+ and it was nearly sold out. In the future, the ONLY way Waters will come close to topping this show (I can only imagine what the DVD will look like!!!), is if he convinces Gilmour to tour under the Pink Floyd name again. What a night!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 60  Next