Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 am 

Let us show our appreciation here.

I will be brief.

Philo was the first (and only - so far) person here to reach out to me.
To be cool, understanding, and respectful to me.

Just an all around cool motherfucker.

Let us show appreciation here, I think the time is right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am 

Philo, I admire the guts you have to post your true feelings and life events. I don't comment on every post because I usually don't feel it's my place, but I'm here daily and read every post. I will say though, for a global internet community, aside from a few, for most of us (Philo and all the regulars) who don't really know each other that well personally, all you guys really seem like genuine people. And I love the show of support (and debate) for one another on personal, emotional, politicial and cultural points of view. That's the reason why I open my browser to this website here every day. And Philo, even though you're still a relative newbie (like myself), I view you (and all the regulars) as essential to the board.

Have a great day everyone.
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 pm 

Well, if you want to be picky, this thread comes off as an insult to all Forum Members except Philo. Congrats Philo, you win this thread! :)

The only consistent rules I've ever learned about Forum Social Behavior:

1. You may well never really understand what the other person is writing about and it is probably just luck if you do. People suck at writing. Reading too. And most don't care that this is the case.
2. Sarcasm, hyperbole, gestures, synonyms, variable definitions, misspellings, poor explanations, poor interpretations, language barriers, secret meanings, conceptual continuity, references of references of references... many of the "normal" communication methods are either entirely missing or just different on a Forum. An emoticon will only help in a small percentage of cases. The less obvious you are, the more people will misunderstand you. If you are not absolutely positive what the other person means, you should probably check it again.
3. Jokes are everywhere around here. Are you sure that the thing that pissed you off isn't a joke? Is someone pissed off at a joke you made? Many people think they have a good sense of humor when they don't even have a sense of humor. Seriously, some people just can't sense humor, even though they have successfully laughed in their life. There are multiple types of humor, few people have familiarity with any but the most obvious types. Even those with a good sense of humor may refuse to laugh at certain things due to their own personal experience, such that they can't deal with laughing about a given topic. People here will joke about those topics too.
4. Very few people here wish ill on any other Forum Members. Now what anyone writes... plenty of ill will all around... and that's the way I like it, with a Green Rosetta (mutated member)

Seriously lm, I think a lot of your dissatisfaction is of your own making. Many people go through similar newbie experiences. Yours is likely much better than average. Most people run screaming long before they've made 10 posts. Sometimes, before they have read 10 posts. Do you know any FZ fans outside of the Forum? Ask them why they don't come here. We are an opinionated bunch! FZ was too! We aren't ever going to win the Nicest Forum Award. Speakin' of which, the Frankies are just around the corner, and who knows, you may win one! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm 

Don't know what prompted this thread but I'll chime in and say I enjoy the Philo man , too. BUT ... he's only one of many who come here that seem very cool.

and then , there's that one guy :roll:

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm 

I think Philo is a vital part of the forum. I mean, the forum would not be the same without him. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm 

I ran screaming after reading 10 of Arkay's posts.

But anyway, Philostopher is a good addition to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:57 pm 

Thanks LM!

I appreciate all the kind comments, but Pedro and Arkay are right. I'm not any more special than any other forum member.

But I will say this Arkay. I haven't won anything. The best friend I had in this shithole town died yesterday. And yes, I'm not the only person to ever experience the loss of a close friend. And yes, life does go on. But I fucking hurt like hell right now, and certainly don't feel like I've won anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 pm 

Philo's water feature

We gotcha buddy

And you did win the Beefheart Researchers Badge....