Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 am 

Several interesting questions for you:
-FZ has said in interviews he didn't bother about being remembered. How would he feel to see his son crusading for his memory, rather than starting a career on his own?
-Why don't you want anybody to have criticism, as it's "offensive towards Franks memory"? Since when is justified criticism a bad thing?
-Why does anybody have the right to claim "the true FZ spirit"? Does DZ really come close through DNA? And why should he be closer than all the musicians who worked with him for years, who did lengthy tours with him and know his music in every conceivable way?

It's Dweezil who puts out a creative product into the world. It's the moral duty of people who attend these shows to write reviews, to warn people to come see the show or stay away. The simple announcement that he is going to make yet another ZPZ tour gives us the right to discuss it, and if people like Jimmie D rather diss a show before it's been put on, they have every right to do so, in the same manner I can cuss a new Limp Bizkit tour. It may be disrespectful to whoever puts it on, but that should not be a problem.

So, long story short:

STOP WHINING!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 pm 

mayuka wrote:
How about this everyone. Get off the Zappa familys balls. Seriously, just sit back and enjoy the fuckin music. Yes its great that we all have our own special opinion about everything but being an ass to Franks family is a bitch move. You complain saying Frank would be dissapointed with Gail and Dweezil, he would be dissapointed with his fans for being such assholes.

Doncha see we want to enjoy the music?
You are an ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm 
Banned

mayuka wrote:
How about this everyone. Get off the Zappa familys balls. Seriously, just sit back and enjoy the fuckin music. Yes its great that we all have our own special opinion about everything but being an ass to Franks family is a bitch move. You complain saying Frank would be dissapointed with Gail and Dweezil, he would be dissapointed with his fans for being such assholes.

So, you're alright with Dweezil telling his father's fans that it is wrong to reinterpret Frank's music and play it any differently than it was originally arranged, when Frank himself did this with other composers' music, and Dweezil himself recorded a pop-metal version of "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" back in the '80s? Is one not an asshole to complain at length about an entire genre of music (in this case, hip-hop), when he clearly does not know enough about that genre to form an argument against it?

When you're trying to convince your audience that, as the offspring of a talented genius, you are somehow an embodiment of that genius's music, it helps that you're anything like that talented genius. In this instance, it helps to have a more open mind to various genres (as Frank did), or ideas like having fun with any piece of music (as Frank did). As much as ZPZ would like to convince you that they are an embodiment of Frank, this will never happen. Frank is dead. There will never be another Frank.

Enjoy another "I Can't Believe it's Not Zappa" tour, mayuka. :roll:

Isaac Baranoff

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:38 pm 

Dweezil is incredibly qualified to be the steward of his father's legacy.

The point about reinterpretations has to do with under-rehearsed groups attempting music out of their ability level and compensating poorly with improper rearrangement. That sucks.

That has no relevance to the respect FZ showed the composers whose music he quoted or covered. Get real.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 am 
Banned

Trendmonger wrote:
.....blah.....blah.....blah.....When I was on that David Letterman show with Frank.....blah.....blah.....blah.....

Is this Letterman reference now gonna appear on a more frequent basis? Didn't I just see this in another thread? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:28 am 

mayuka wrote:
i noticed ppl saying that ZPZ shows are to expensive... My ass dude, im 17 been to a ZPZ show both years, and paid for 2 tickets and gas from Corpus to Dallas (9 hr drive) and Corpus to Austin (4-5 hour drive) so I have no clue where u say ppl cant afford it. I work a shitty ass job $6.35 an hour, paying phone bills and car bills. Sorry to be rude, but all I want to point out is Dweezil has it at that price for he and the rest of the band can make a living.

Hiya, not being an arse or anything but when I read your post, in particular the hi-lighted part above, I couldn't help but wonder if you have to run a home of your own or if you still live with your parents. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 am 

edgewaterinn wrote:

The point about reinterpretations has to do with under-rehearsed groups attempting music out of their ability level and compensating poorly with improper rearrangement. That sucks.

That has no relevance to the respect FZ showed the composers whose music he quoted or covered. Get real.

One time I'd love to introduce you to my record collection. I collect a lot of all kinds of music. You would genuinely be surprised if you'd hear what kind of stuff people even put on records.

There are two explanations for this. One is the possible desire of the performer to be heard. This may also be connected to a gross overestimation of the self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0
(Example of overestimation of the self growing highly popular: Florence Jenkins)
This has nothing to do with lack of respect for composers. On the contrary: one tends to perform only music one likes, with the exception of some tophits.

There are of course nasty companies that make money out of ridiculously bad performances, as long as there are people foolish enough to buy them. This is however limited mostly to pop, low-budget classical popular music, and musicals. There is no respect or disrespect in this case.

For Zappa cover case: people play Zappa when they think it's great music, like with most cover bands. It's not very commercially exploitable. It's these people that may respect FZ the most.

(Gosh. I can be a drag when I get up too early.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:23 pm 

BBP wrote:
edgewaterinn wrote:

One time I'd love to introduce you to my record collection. I collect a lot of all kinds of music. You would genuinely be surprised if you'd hear what kind of stuff people even put on records.

There are two explanations for this. One is the possible desire of the performer to be heard. This may also be connected to a gross overestimation of the self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0
(Example of overestimation of the self growing highly popular: Florence Jenkins)
This has nothing to do with lack of respect for composers. On the contrary: one tends to perform only music one likes, with the exception of some tophits.

There are of course nasty companies that make money out of ridiculously bad performances, as long as there are people foolish enough to buy them. This is however limited mostly to pop, low-budget classical popular music, and musicals. There is no respect or disrespect in this case.

For Zappa cover case: people play Zappa when they think it's great music, like with most cover bands. It's not very commercially exploitable. It's these people that may respect FZ the most.

(Gosh. I can be a drag when I get up too early.)

Well said BBP. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 pm 

Does it matter how Zappa's remembered or if people think he's like Weird Al? People who can be disturbed like this care too much.

Right now I'm listening to a badass, extremely complex Zappa song and am just blown away. What I think of Zappa is probably more along the lines Dweezil would like everyone to think of him. But it's a moot point. Fuck it, not everyone is going to know or even like Zappa. Who cares?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:10 pm 

For one thing, Zappa never cared about being remembered. At least that's what he said in interviews.

I honestly doubt if anyone ever is remembered for what he/she really was. A listener/reader/discoverer/admirer will always pick out the things that inspire or disgust him/her most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:18 pm 

Such is fame. Ya get known for Dinah Moe Humm and that's all anybody wants to hear from ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 pm 

Can't wait 'till 2080 when everyone's raving about how current Civilization Phase III sounds for a 20th century composition. Of course, all anyone will have is a 96/kbps mp3 to listen to, but it's better than silence, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:41 pm 

franzshire said:

''Fuck it, not everyone is going to know or even like Zappa. Who cares?''

I have to say that I am so glad I have lived over half my life knowing the joy of listening to Frank Zappa and have no words to descibe my gratitude to him.

I try to get others to listen. Some people are just not "Aware". I don't know how else to descibe it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:53 am 
Banned

thatstuffisverybadforyou wrote:
Can't wait 'till 2080 when everyone's raving about how current Civilization Phase III sounds for a 20th century composition. Of course, all anyone will have is a 96/kbps mp3 to listen to, but it's better than silence, right?

Unfortunately for me, I'll only have silence in the year 2080. I think I can wait. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:38 pm 

dumb all over could be considered rap - i dont think it matters - as long as those people r talking about Frank then maybe they will check his stuff out and learn more about what hes about - lets be honest when i was a kid all i knew was joes garage (crew slut and catholic girls) - that was my start - I thought it was cool and funny - then i looked for more - frank might as well be the first guy to rap too along with everything else - hes the best!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:58 pm 

G-sus K-rist, can the admin please sink this thread? I'm not interested in Dweezil's bowel movements.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:03 pm 

brainpang wrote:
G-sus K-rist, can the admin please sink this thread? I'm not interested in Dweezil's bowel movements.

That's EXTREMELY unfair! Maybe some of us are! Not me, but somebody!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:29 am 

Say BP you don't HAVE to read every thread. Why do you do that, then comment that "it sucks and should be drowned", ruining other people's fun by doing so?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:36 am 

It was a joke...sort of. Sink? Flush? I read it as "Dweezil's Lengthy LOG."

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:12 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
thatstuffisverybadforyou wrote:

Unfortunately for me, I'll only have silence in the year 2080. I think I can wait. 8)

In silence, there are imaginary guitar notes. Amen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:42 am 

brainpang wrote:
It was a joke...sort of. Sink? Flush? I read it as "Dweezil's Lengthy LOG."

A man has just arrived at the insanity asylum. He is being shown around.

"And this is our canteen!" his roommate shows.
In the canteen, the athmosphere is cheery. One inhabitant shouts: "47!", and all the madmen laugh. "72!", shouts another, and again the room is filled with laughter.

"What's going on here?"
"Well, we were all bored, so one day we started telling each other jokes. But there came so many jokes, that we gave them all a number to save time. 47 is the one with the fly in the soup. And 72 is the one with the mouse and the elephant on the beach."

"Hey!", the madman thinks. "I can do that!" He stands up and says: "32."

Silence.

"What's wrong? Why aren't they laughing?"

"Well... I don't mean to hurt you, but you see... it's the way you tell them..."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:23 am 

hahahaha :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 am 

ya, did you know I was a founding member of the SPK?
bump the thread bump the thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:40 pm 

I'm the founder of the JDFC Support.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm 

BBP wrote:
I'm the founder of the JDFC Support.

Junior Democrat Football Club?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next