Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:46 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
Joe Mama wrote:
Quote:
Y'know, Zappa HAS had some influence on Rap, especially modern rap. I think it's an interesting statement on the part of whoever said it... the first thing I can think of that's in anyway like Rap would be 'I'm The Slime' though 'Trouble' was sorta halfsung/ half spoken in a way that's not really like Sprechesstime and more in line with some rap performances.

uh, he did sprechesstime and did rap occassionally (Dumb All Over comes to mind). But I doubt any rapper out there would honestly name FZ as an influence, MF Doom (who samples "Would You Like a Snack on his Mm...Food album)) being an exception.

A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and Funkadelic/ Parliament claimed him as an influence.

Add Outkast to the list (Kate Bush is another of their stated influences).

Hope For America
ronpaul2008 dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am 

i noticed ppl saying that ZPZ shows are to expensive... My ass dude, im 17 been to a ZPZ show both years, and paid for 2 tickets and gas from Corpus to Dallas (9 hr drive) and Corpus to Austin (4-5 hour drive) so I have no clue where u say ppl cant afford it. I work a shitty ass job $6.35 an hour, paying phone bills and car bills. Sorry to be rude, but all I want to point out is Dweezil has it at that price for he and the rest of the band can make a living.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 am 
Banned

Dweezil wrote:
At our recent show in San Diego I overheard a ridiculous conversation prior to sound-check by 2 local in house crew guys. I was outside my dressing room and could hear their on stage confabulation. I will refer to them as Dude 1 and 2 for ease of communication.

Dude 1 said to Dude 2, "Who's playing tonight"? "Frank Zappa's kid," replied Dude 2. "Who's that?" said Dude 1. "You never heard of Frank Zappa?" replied Dude 2. Dude 1, "No." Dude 2, "Dude, he's like the first guy to rap in the 70's." Dude 1, "That's cool". Dude 2, "His kid has a tribute band"... and scene.

I found this tête-à-tête to be equal parts humorous and disturbing.

[....]

I guess I better get out my Krunk Goblet for my tribute and pull down my over-sized pants to expose the top of my underwear, hike up one pant leg to expose my calf and incessantly repeat the phrase, "Uh, Uh, Yeah, Dweezil in the house" over every part of every one of Frank's songs. People would really get it then. That would be "dope".

Or I could become a special amalgamation of disrespect and delusion. I could talk about imaginary reasons why I have been selected to keep the music alive while making sweeping changes to the all songs, omitting integral parts and replacing them with parts that I wrote myself while pretending to be Frank and having the gall to think I actually made some improvements to his music. Now that's a tribute! That would be "doper".

[....]

This is indisputably the dumbest thing ever written by a Zappa.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:36 pm 

Zappa did not tour playing ONLY one other composer's music! He quoted from them or covered whole songs but he did not make his career from covering other musicians' music. I don't think the ZFT has any problem with any band covering a Zappa song or two in a concert or bar show or wherever - it's when you tour playing ONLY Frank's music that the legal issues kick in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:26 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Dweezil wrote:
At our recent show in San Diego I overheard a ridiculous conversation prior to sound-check by 2 local in house crew guys. I was outside my dressing room and could hear their on stage confabulation. I will refer to them as Dude 1 and 2 for ease of communication.

Dude 1 said to Dude 2, "Who's playing tonight"? "Frank Zappa's kid," replied Dude 2. "Who's that?" said Dude 1. "You never heard of Frank Zappa?" replied Dude 2. Dude 1, "No." Dude 2, "Dude, he's like the first guy to rap in the 70's." Dude 1, "That's cool". Dude 2, "His kid has a tribute band"... and scene.

[....]

I guess I better get out my Krunk Goblet for my tribute and pull down my over-sized pants to expose the top of my underwear, hike up one pant leg to expose my calf and incessantly repeat the phrase, "Uh, Uh, Yeah, Dweezil in the house" over every part of every one of Frank's songs. People would really get it then. That would be "dope".

Or I could become a special amalgamation of disrespect and delusion. I could talk about imaginary reasons why I have been selected to keep the music alive while making sweeping changes to the all songs, omitting integral parts and replacing them with parts that I wrote myself while pretending to be Frank and having the gall to think I actually made some improvements to his music. Now that's a tribute! That would be "doper".

[....]

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

It's definitely not the dumbest thing Dweezil has ever written. Have you read his lyrics? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm 

BBP wrote:
Isaac wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

[....]

[....]

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

It's definitely not the dumbest thing Dweezil has ever written. Have you read his lyrics? :wink:

You go girl!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:23 am 

I would like to see you do any better. THere are a lot of people out there who think that Frank didn't have any talent because of his lyrics. I for one am sometimes put off by some of Frank's overly sexual lyrics because I don't think that incest is funny by any means but that does not stop me from understanding that he is talented as a composer and musician.
Do you think that Frank would be happy that you are bashing his child who he thought was amazing. I personally got to talk to Frank about Dweezil and he thought he was very talented and that was at 16 so since he is a much better musician now I doubt very much that he would appreciate his "fans" putting his son down on his board. It is disrespectful to the family and to Frank's memory.

BBP wrote:
Isaac wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

[....]

[....]

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Have a great day...Tricia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 am 

preciousz wrote:
I would like to see you do any better. THere are a lot of people out there who think that Frank didn't have any talent because of his lyrics. I for one am sometimes put off by some of Frank's overly sexual lyrics because I don't think that incest is funny by any means but that does not stop me from understanding that he is talented as a composer and musician.
Do you think that Frank would be happy that you are bashing his child who he thought was amazing. I personally got to talk to Frank about Dweezil and he thought he was very talented and that was at 16 so since he is a much better musician now I doubt very much that he would appreciate his "fans" putting his son down on his board. It is disrespectful to the family and to Frank's memory.

I don't think many of these Fanaskeptasaureous care about Frank or his family. They seem to give a shit about their ME ME ME MEasaureous desires. Many have bowed to some Unnofical Digital Archive of AUD Methodology or some In-The-Ballpark Manifestation of Mediocrity. Why do they even bother participating in this Official Forum. They often sound like War Mongers.

Even though some of Frank's work may not be your cup of tea I have frequently noticed you are a woman whose character stands for the artistic integrity of Frank Zappa .

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 am 

Trendmonger, you just don't get it do you? I enjoy ZPZ and i enjoy all the other bands too. It is allowed you know. Time for a reminder of that other great Dweezil quote. How does this one fit into your bolloxauraus talkius shitus?.

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Quote:
Everybody else goes out and plays a show as if it's their album, which is boring. I'd rather sit at home and listen to the album, because I hate to be in a smoke-filled, loud room - that's not enjoyable for me at all...I always look up to guys who can sit and do dinner music...they're singing in tune and playing somebody else's music, and I don't think I could do that...it's the shittiest job in the world. - DWEEZIL ZAPPA, GUITARIST, NOVEMBER 1991

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:07 am 

preciousz wrote:
It is disrespectful to the family and to Frank's memory.

Respect is a precious, rarely seen, commodity on this board.

A-rennda-rennda-rahhh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:31 am 

preciousz wrote:

PreciousZ: Listen up.

First of all, I'm a Dweezil fan, believe it or not. I've worked my butt off to be able to say hi to him at the meet & greet in Amsterdam in 2006. And yes, I think he's talented.

Secondly, there's no excuse for writing lyrics like "The coolest guy in the world". Not even when you are son-of-FZ. Not when you're 16. Not when you're gorgeous.
And definitely not when it's going to be published on a record. And judging Love Ride, well... well... it's hardly Pushkin either.

Thirdly, I know Frank wouldn't be happy. So what? It's criticism with a justified base.

Fourthly, what does Frank's memory have to do with Dweezil's lyrics?

Fifthly: Can I do better? That's the big question, but not an issue. I can barely make my lyrics in English rhyme, but I'm not a native speaker. But that's beside the point, as I don't publish my lyrics, OR my poetry. I only publish things of which I feel there's quality in them, like my drawings.
Dweezil publishes songs like Love Ride. And the fact that he has some great songs on his albums, doesn't make this blow away. He's definitely not the only artist to publish songs that diminish the value of an album. And the sheer fact that he publishes it, entitles me as audience to have some form of critic about it.

In other words: you and Trendmonger: People's opinions may differ. Nothing is holy. Just think of that. Now get off my back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:03 pm 

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: Incest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 pm 

Incest is pretty funny when it's in a Zappa song.

Post subject: Incest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:30 pm 

or the bible

Post subject: Re: Incest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:35 pm 

murph56 wrote:
or the bible

Is the bible funny?

(recalls reading Leviticus) Oh yes! Black humour!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:45 pm 

BBP wrote:
murph56 wrote:
or the bible

Is the bible funny?

Oh no you didn't, girlfren'!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
murph56 wrote:
or the bible

Is the bible funny?

I did! I took a class on biblical knowledge and had to read the darn thing. It's in the middle of the "What happened to you today" thread, but it's hard to find.

(Just checked, which took me half an hour (starting from the wrong side). It's on page 21/22)
Genesis 24:47 ... Then I put the ring in her nose...

Last edited by BBP on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 pm 

murph56 wrote:
Incest is pretty funny when it's in a Zappa song.

I think there are many topics that many humans can not view with an open mind. To take it a step further each one of these topics could have a variety of platforms that also gets thrown into the mix. For example if Frank created an arrangement singing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" I could see where it could be met with a net.

Looking over the catalog there are so many songs that sound like fine contemporary songs and rarely were these given air play. When Frank played Crush All Boxes on WNEW Radio this was a topic that was brought up. He really wondered why Frank did not get airplay and stated all those songs sounded like fine contemporary radio music. It like as if Frank's name was Dalton Trumbo. I always figured Tralton Dumbo would make a good forum username. For those without a clue it's about being Blacklisted.

It's the name Zappa that scares people. Frank has a way of making people think. Thinking can be scary for corporate media and people who live in a box.

I say CRUSH ALL BOXES.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:10 pm 

BBP wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:
murph56 wrote:
or the bible

Is the bible funny?

I did! I took a class on biblical knowledge and had to read the darn thing. It's in the middle of the "What happened to you today" thread, but it's hard to find.

(Just checked, which took me half an hour (starting from the wrong side). It's on page 21/22)
Genesis 24:47 ... Then I put the ring in her nose...

The Bible - laffos aplenty!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 am 

sdurgin wrote:
preciousz wrote:

It is a vicious cycle and works both ways. I wish it was different.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:15 am 

brainpang wrote:
sdurgin wrote:
preciousz wrote:

It is a vicious cycle and works both ways. I wish it was different.

To my perspective the ZFT give Frank the respect he deserves.
In general the fans just want Zappa their way. The fans frequently honor fanatical desires over the composers artistic integrity and intent.

If the fans are happy along the way with the Official representation of Zappa's work that's a bonus as helping with the next project, if not that is their own loss. The ZFT act in many similar ways that Frank did.

When I was on that David Letterman show with Frank his commentary on his his work and his personal relationship with his fans spoke to me on so many levels. Not only was I honored that Frank chose me as an example of how he is honest to his fans but those liner notes in the LSO LP speak about artistic integrity and honesty. I see Gail working 24x7 to protect that. I see Dweezil's and his ZPZ TDF project metaphorically procreating that.

I really see the ZFT are trying their best to uphold that artistic integrity.
Fanatical desires are frequently at odds with integrity of the composers work.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:30 am 

Trendy wrote:
In general the fans just want Zappa their way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Conversely, the ZFT just wants Zappa their way. What is have here is a futile battle over the control and portrayal of FZ and his musical legacy.

ZFT wants the general public to take FZ seriously and recognize him as an "American Composer" in the classical tradition. Ain't gonna happen, and why even try? Look at the contempt FZ had for "serious composers" in his 1984 address to the American Society of University Composers (Real FZ Book, pp. 189-194).

Ever hear the expression "show me--don't tell me"; this applies directly to the ZFT. Let the music speak for itself by releasing as much of it as possible. Keynote addresses are a waste of time. Tribute tours are a waste of resources. Let the music do the talking.

Remember: ZFT/zappa.com is a business, one that needs to focus on the product and not the idealized posthumous depiction of the producer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:12 pm 

HelloItsMe wrote:
ZFT wants the general public to take FZ seriously and recognize him as an "American Composer" in the classical tradition.

It could happen but it will not under Gail's watch. She's too difficult.
Yes, yes, Frank was difficult, too, but he was the composer so one put up with it. Having Gail Zappa at the premiere does not exactly sell tickets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:34 am 

Quote:
ZFT wants the general public to take FZ seriously and recognize him as an "American Composer" in the classical tradition. Ain't gonna happen, and why even try? Look at the contempt FZ had for "serious composers" in his 1984 address to the American Society of University Composers (Real FZ Book, pp. 189-194).

Nah, I think that in the whole 'American Maverick Tradition' (ugh) he's going to be fit in nicely (I'm gagging, here). That whole Ives-Cowell-Cage-Feldman lineage. Especially with that whole Totalism and Postminimalism thing going on. Eventually people will realize that what some of the people in those groups and what Zorn are doing Zappa did back in the 60's.

Whatever Zappa might have wanted, he's dead. I mean, Kafka wanted all his books burnt, but see how he turned out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am 

How about this everyone. Get off the Zappa familys balls. Seriously, just sit back and enjoy the fuckin music. Yes its great that we all have our own special opinion about everything but being an ass to Franks family is a bitch move. You complain saying Frank would be dissapointed with Gail and Dweezil, he would be dissapointed with his fans for being such assholes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next