Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:00 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Is this true? Has anyone else heard about this? What do you think? Perhaps, Gail herself, can confirm or deny this buzz from the grapevine.

Thomas Dippel and the Zappanale have been served with papers. They have a German court date.

He has been served with an official summons by County Court of Dusseldorf, for a court hearing in April 2008.

ZFT (Gail) is claiming the defendants illegally use the trademark "Zappanale" and the Zappanale logo, based on the moustache.

Gail went after Zappanale this August, as has been reported elsewhere, for their involvement promoting the Berlin Zappa-strasse (street naming). In the threats this summer, Gail also demanded ...the removal and destruction of the likeness of Frank Zappa in Bad Doberan. Yes, you read right, she wanted them to destroy a bust of Frank. A monument that people flock to see and take pictures next to. The town was conscious enough to approve and provide a prominent spot for this and now may suffer the destruction of a harmless piece of art. She wanted it replaced with "something we (ZFT) do approve".

http://www.killuglyradio.com/hot-poop/2 ... ment-16805

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Last edited by jimmie d killed the forum on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Texas Motel
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
...Gail also demanded ...the removal and destruction of the likeness of Frank Zappa in Bad Doberan...She wanted it replaced with "something we (ZFT) do approve".

I figure that to mean a bust of Mussolini (another great Italian) so as to preserve the cultural lineage and reflect the social philosophies of the ZFT.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm
Posts: 1161
Location: Washington DC Burbs
is this the bust in question?
Image
Image
To bust the bust would be a terrible thing!!

_________________
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"- Frank Zappa
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Texas Motel
Where did the cute girls run off to?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:21 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
SwaggartDecisions wrote:
Where did the cute girls run off to?

They got busted. 8)

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm
Posts: 1161
Location: Washington DC Burbs
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
SwaggartDecisions wrote:
Where did the cute girls run off to?

They got busted. 8)

Image
:P

_________________
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"- Frank Zappa
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7020
Location: exile
debutante_daisy wrote:
Image


that's ugly. doesn't even look like frank.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Texas Motel
^^^^ Not as oog-el-y as Il Duce.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Just N. of Boston, MA, USA
debutante_daisy wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
SwaggartDecisions wrote:
Where did the cute girls run off to?

They got busted. 8)

Image
:P
These girls wouldn't kiss just any likeness and let it touch their busts, they want a hunk of metal in northern Germany that pisses off some southern California nut.

--Bat :mrgreen:

_________________
Image<------PhotoArtWerk by debutante_daisy http://www.facebook.com/BatchainTheMovie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3134
ohmigod batty that is freaking hilarious!
special congrats to you on executing that with JUST the right sylLAbic EMphasis. mas fine!!

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9564
Location: EINDHOVEN
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
Image


that's ugly. doesn't even look like frank.


Looks like Frank is drunk. Or his father is Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6265
Location: Your Mom's Box
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
Image


that's ugly. doesn't even look like frank.


i agree. smash that stupid fucking thing with a sledgehammer ASAP!!

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:25 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Is this true?

Thomas Dippel has asked that we spread the word on this -- here's his official notice.

Thomas Dippel, president of the Arf Society, has been summoned to court. He has to pay up for the CDs, DVDs and T-shirts that are made by the Arf Society; for the use of the name "Zappa" in "Zappanale", and so on, and so on.

Gail Zappa even wants the Bad Doberan statue of FZ to be removed...

The ZAPPA Family Trust, 11848 Vose Street, CA 91605 North Hollywood, USA represented by Gail Zappa claims 150000,- Euro against Arf-Society e.V., represented by it's chairman Thomas Dippel, for illegal use of the trademark "Zappanale" and the "Zappanale-logo".

For further use of the name Zappanale for the festival, on products like CDs or clothing the chairman of the Arf-Society, Thomas Dippel, has to pay up to 250000,- Euro or has to be sent to prison for 6 months up to 2 years.

For further promotion for the Zappanale-festival on the domain www.zappanale.de the chairman of the Arf-Society, Thomas Dippel, has to pay up to 250000,- Euro or has to be sent to prison for 6 months up to 2 years.

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5772
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Is this true?

Thomas Dippel has asked that we spread the word on this -- here's his official notice.

Thomas Dippel, president of the Arf Society, has been summoned to court. He has to pay up for the CDs, DVDs and T-shirts that are made by the Arf Society; for the use of the name "Zappa" in "Zappanale", and so on, and so on.

Gail Zappa even wants the Bad Doberan statue of FZ to be removed...

The ZAPPA Family Trust, 11848 Vose Street, CA 91605 North Hollywood, USA represented by Gail Zappa claims 150000,- Euro against Arf-Society e.V., represented by it's chairman Thomas Dippel, for illegal use of the trademark "Zappanale" and the "Zappanale-logo".

For further use of the name Zappanale for the festival, on products like CDs or clothing the chairman of the Arf-Society, Thomas Dippel, has to pay up to 250000,- Euro or has to be sent to prison for 6 months up to 2 years.

For further promotion for the Zappanale-festival on the domain www.zappanale.de the chairman of the Arf-Society, Thomas Dippel, has to pay up to 250000,- Euro or has to be sent to prison for 6 months up to 2 years.



I don't know the legalities about the statue but the CDs, DVDs and shirts definitely fall under copyright laws.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
So...he's using all kind of trademarked or copyrighted things....but hey, he's a "good guy", so he should be above the law.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3448
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
i know there's another bust of frank in poland or somewhere that looks MUCH more like frank---is that going to be taken down? or is the bust in germany being torn down because that's where zappanale is held? 'tis a puzzlement.

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Just N. of Boston, MA, USA
punknaynowned wrote:
ohmigod batty that is freaking hilarious!
special congrats to you on executing that with JUST the right sylLAbic EMphasis. mas fine!!
Danke, punknayowned for noticing my attention to syLAbic MEter. :)

--Bat

_________________
Image<------PhotoArtWerk by debutante_daisy http://www.facebook.com/BatchainTheMovie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: the bust in bad doberan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm
Posts: 1161
Location: Washington DC Burbs
Batchain1001 wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
SwaggartDecisions wrote:
Where did the cute girls run off to?

They got busted. 8)

Image
:P
These girls wouldn't kiss just any likeness and let it touch their busts, they want a hunk of metal in northern Germany that pisses off some southern California nut.

--Bat :mrgreen:


No, it's not the greatest likeness of FZ that I have ever seen. HOWEVER, don't tell me if you are fortunate enough to make it to Bad Doberan to attend Zappanale that you wouldn't stop by the square to see the bust of Frank Zappa?
There were all kinds of real fans patiently waiting their turn to get their picture taken with the bust and I didn't hear one person say they didn't want to go and rub his nose for good luck. *that's the myth* I certainly didn't hear anyone uttering, "hold on a sec honey while I go to to the car to get my sledge hammer" or "dammit dude, i left my bat on the Mollie".
I for one was completely stoked that there is a memorial of any kind in his hizzonner and it didn't make a hill of beans that it wasn't perfect or ZFT approved.

Frankly,
Daisy

_________________
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"- Frank Zappa
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
Batchain1001 wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
SwaggartDecisions wrote:
Where did the cute girls run off to?

They got busted. 8)

Image
:P
These girls wouldn't kiss just any likeness and let it touch their busts, they want a hunk of metal in northern Germany that pisses off some southern California nut.

--Bat :mrgreen:


That is awesome, Bat. LOL!!

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
calvin2hikers wrote:
So...he's using all kind of trademarked or copyrighted things....but hey, he's a "good guy", so he should be above the law.

8)

It is just the same when people at the one time speaks out against industrialised bootlegging, but at the same time routinely burns a copy of a CD for their friends (because the latter is not that big a crime, and only meant to spread the knowledge among "real " fans :roll: )

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
dove_grey wrote:
i know there's another bust of frank in poland or somewhere that looks MUCH more like frank---is that going to be taken down? or is the bust in germany being torn down because that's where zappanale is held? 'tis a puzzlement.

There is one in Vilnius (haven't heard about one in Poland). It was made by Konstantinas Bogdanas, a Lithuanian sculptor who was known for portraits of Lenin. Here it is:
Image
Image

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
It still amazes me how much "legitimate" respect Zappa gets in European countries. The predominant American opinion is and always has been that he's just a rung or two above pornographer. Having a bust of Zappa's head in a public place would be unheard of here. Amazing.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:09 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Has anyone heard about any plans made by the ZFT to have a statue of Frank erected or placed somewhere in the good ol' USA?
.....any monies being spent to further that idea?

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7020
Location: exile
HJ wrote:
There is one in Vilnius
Image


that one isn't much better.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9564
Location: EINDHOVEN
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
HJ wrote:
There is one in Vilnius
Image


that one isn't much better.


Plus they put it in the "wrong" place, in an area with various hospitals and medical institutions. Zappless people there think he's a doctor.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group