Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:14 am 

Thinman wrote:
The demographics of ZpZ concert visitors (or Zappanale, or other cover bands …) would be interesting.

From my observations the average person is: male, around 50 years old, has the intention to get drunk and/or stoned as early in the show as possible, and therefore is running in and out constantly every ten minutes in order to get beer (and thereby stepping on my feet everytime). He is constantly yelling, talking, making noise, because he is convinced, getting drunk/stoned and making noise is what Frank Zappa is all about.

After the show he has forgotten what he has just witnessed and therefore has no intention to buy any new Zappa product because he immediately looses interest until next year's oportunity to get drunk/stoned/make noise at another concert (not neccessarily ZpZ, because it doesn't make a difference at all).

:wink:

Th.

(Edit: typos)

I resent that. I never lose interest in Zappa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:56 am 

Thinman wrote:
The demographics of ZpZ concert visitors (or Zappanale, or other cover bands …) would be interesting.

From my observations the average person is: male, around 50 years old, has the intention to get drunk and/or stoned as early in the show as possible, and therefore is running in and out constantly every ten minutes in order to get beer (and thereby stepping on my feet everytime). He is constantly yelling, talking, making noise, because he is convinced, getting drunk/stoned and making noise is what Frank Zappa is all about.

After the show he has forgotten what he has just witnessed and therefore has no intention to buy any new Zappa product because he immediately looses interest until next year's oportunity to get drunk/stoned/make noise at another concert (not neccessarily ZpZ, because it doesn't make a difference at all).

Th.

That element seems less prevalent at ZPZ shows than some others, at least in my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am 

HJ wrote:
Seppstock wrote:
Well, it seems that the german judge got its own opinion on this subject.

The judge stated that he doesn´t see any big chances for a success of Gails lawsuit.

The decision will take several months, which means that the next Zappanale will happen without any problems...

I guess Franks spirit took over the judge to serve justice. 8)

Peculiar justice system that lets a judge give out his opinions in public before a ruling. "Oh yes, we think this guy is definitely the murderer, and we will have him executed. But we will examine the case and evidence for several months before we actually make the judgement" What ? ? ? Is there a source for this, or is it just wishful thinking?

It's not unusual in the US. The Court's objective is to get every case to settle, as soon as possible, in order to get it off of their docket. By asking questions and offering an opinion during an initial hearing before the Court, the judge is trying to drop a not so subtle hint that it may be time to re-think your position.

Good luck with Gail though. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:19 am 

just plain doug wrote:

Yeah, I know I'll never forgive you for steppng on my toes that one time. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

That was you?
Sorry...thought it was a mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 am 

just plain doug wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

That was you?

This is a good opportunity for a witty rejoinder. Unfortunately, I can't think of one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am 

just plain doug wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

That was you?

Apology accepted. It must have been my furry boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

That was you?

Apology accepted. It must have been my furry boots.

That explains it, then. For a moment, I was worried it had something to do with the full moon that night. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:39 pm 

MOTHER OF INTERVENTION

Zappa Festival Defends Itself from ... Zappa

By Charles Hawley

What would Frank Zappa have said?

The Zappanale has been celebrating the music of rock legend Frank Zappa for almost 20 years. Now, though, Frank's widow -- Gail Zappa -- has sued the festival for trademark violations. She insists she is only trying to protect her husband's "musical integrity."

In the end, it all depends on how you define Frank Zappa. Either the outspoken rock legend was a beacon of freedom and independence belonging to all who hoped for a better political future free from pervasive government interference or he was an awe-inspiringly multifaceted musician whose unique sound and one-of-a-kind presentation is what keeps people listening today.

For most fans, of course, he is both. But a court in Germany on Wednesday has the unenviable task of having to decide between the two.

The case is called ZAPPA Family Trust v. Arf Society e.V., and it centers on a music event known as the Zappanale. Held every summer in the town of Bad Doberan, located close to the Baltic Sea coast in what used to be East Germany, the three day festival attracts thousands of fans eager to hear Zappa cover bands and what the organizers call "Zappa-esque rock."

But the nonprofit group Arf Society, which organizes the event, also sells merchandise complete with the unmistakable logo depicting Zappa's unique facial hair, the moustache-soul patch combo. And that, says Gail Zappa, Frank's widow and head of the Zappa Family Trust, violates the Zappa trademark. She is suing the group for €150,000 ($236,000) in damages and an additional €250,000, should the Zappanale continue selling Zappa merchandise.

Her real concern though, she says, is her husband's legacy.

"One of the reasons you file a trademark is to protect the works of a person," Gail Zappa told SPIEGEL ONLINE in a telephone interview. "I felt we were getting into territory where we were putting the audience at risk in terms of who Frank was. You become concerned."

The Zappanale was first held in 1989 prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was, says Arf Society President Thomas Dippel, a small affair made up of "about 80 Zappa freaks" and two cover bands. And it certainly wasn't without risk. Zappa records were banned in communist East Germany and were expensive on the black market. Arf Society treasurer Wolfhard Kutz, who first heard Zappa as a 17-year-old in 1972, found out after the Wall fell that he had been a favorite target for East German secret police snoops. The Stasi even wrote in Kutz's file that he "knows how to influence the youth with Zappa."

Since then, the Zappanale, has grown to its current three-day format with 17 bands playing for Zappa fans who come from around Europe to attend -- and pay €80 ($125) for the pleasure, a price that also comes with a campsite.

Usually, though, Dippel says, the Arf Society makes hardly any money on the festival and any extra goes into booking better bands. Indeed, he says, they are happy if they can break even. Should the court on Wednesday decide in favor of the Zappa Family Trust, the Zappanale will appeal, he says. But he also fears that losing in the courts could mean the end of the festival.

"The reactions we have received are almost all completely furious with Gail Zappa," Dippel told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "I have the impression that she wants to prevent Zappa music from being played, except by her son (Dweezil). Zappa his whole life long was for artistic freedom. There is a story, though it may not be true, that Zappa on his deathbed said: 'Play my music, whether you're a musician or not, play my music.'"

Indeed, the disagreement between Gail Zappa and Dippel's group quickly transcends trademark and boils down to the legacy of Zappa, who died in 1993 at the age of 52. What would Frank Zappa do?

Dippel, who helps organize the festival in his free time, is convinced that Zappa would be horrified by his wife's aggressive pursuit of Zappa trademark violations. The Zappanale has not been her only recent target. A number of blogs have likewise been served papers for posting Zappa music or videos and some YouTube videos have also been taken down. Many Zappa blogs are full of strident critique of the Zappa Family Trust.

"She is harming Frank Zappa's legacy much more than she is helping it," Dippel says. "I have talked to a number of people who are planning on boycotting all Zappa products in the future."

Despite all his blasting of the government and of efforts at what he called "social engineering," Zappa was also a great believer in American-style capitalism -- and in strictly obeying copyright laws. He even made sure to pay royalties for the use of John Cage's completely soundless composition "4'33"." Even if Zappa referred to the Zappanale as "great" and "amazing" in a 1991 interview with the now defunct fanzine Society Pages, Gail Zappa is certain he would not disapprove of her copyright and trademark crusade now.

"Would the Zappanale folks be doing this if Frank was still alive? No fucking way," she says. "We licensed performances when he was still alive. But you at least check to make sure they do a good job. I'm sure he would probably do what I am doing."

Dippel says that the Zappanale has long tried to get the kind of official rubber stamp that Gail Zappa insists is available. He claims that letters have been sent and that Zappanale people even met with Gail in Amsterdam at the beginning of the 1990s. He also says that he invited the Zappa family -- including Gail, Dweezil and Moon -- to an unveiling of a Zappa statue that now graces Bad Doberan.

Gail -- who refers to the statue as an "impish creature" that "doesn't look like Frank Zappa unless you argue that putting a moustache on any face looks like Frank Zappa" -- says that very little communication has taken place with the Zappanale. "I've long known that there was this quote-unquote festival slash event slash what the fuck," she says.

But she also claims that the organizers have not responded to requests by her lawyers to detail exactly what kind of products they are selling and how great the turnover is. She insists, however, that her primary concern is the music. "My obligation, which I cannot be relieved of by anyone other than Frank Zappa, is to protect the intent and integrity of his music," she says. "That's my job. I have no choice."

Dippel is unconvinced. "Why is she really doing this," he wonders?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,546288,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 am 

Heres another article from the uk

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/cha ... anale.html
It does offer an interesting perspective including the following gem;

"The concepts of the composer and the musical work are dependent on the public availability of score copies that can be used for performances of a given work without the necessary supervision or participation of the composer. The score should contain most of the information necessary, although some familiarity with a performing tradition (live or recorded) is to be expected.On the basis of this, it would appear that Gail Zappa would have to destroy Frank Zappa's status as a composer in court to win her case, and establish that he was merely a recording artist whose legacy consists only of recorded performances and not of musical works"

Anyway maybe Gails plan was all about publicity! Aparrently this months edition of Uncut ( a music mag) has something about the case and yesterday evening the DJ's on BBC radio 2 were discussing it. Although not in any depth it must be said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 am 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

I got stoned after the show!

If someone wants religion that's fine with me - I support your right to enjoy it. However I would appreciate it if you could show some more respect for people who don't want to participate in your faith, fulfillment or destination. - FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:00 am 

Regardless of papers being served, Zappanale happens again this year, in August!

http://www.zappanale.de/

Sorry if this is old news.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:00 pm 

ADMIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 pm 

Yeah !

By the way, which movies should lesbian teens free and why and above all when did Roy Scheider make a soccer movie ? Absurd !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Yeah !

By the way, which movies should lesbian teens free...

Is that the female-version of "Free Willy"??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:09 pm 

BBP wrote:
ADMIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

The admin is dead. Long live the admin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:16 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
... when did Roy Scheider make a soccer movie ? Absurd !

I think the guy misspelled sorcerer. Anyway, this is a bit rude, spamming mid way through a thread, at least other spammers have the decency to start a new thread which can be ignored. So yes, where is admin?
    Hey, Mikey!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:54 am 

cant we just all get along...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:07 am 

Flea wrote:
cant we just all get along...

All we've just been talking about here are spammers. Look at the two posts above this one. The bastard has just come here to advertise something. You don't want the site getting littered with that crap do you?

Edit: Please note that the two posts I was referring to have been deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 am 

8) Two down n 1000000000000 to go. Thanks polydigm How do you tell who's a spammer n who's just into fuckin' the site up? What ever happened to all the fun,of mutual basic understanding of why we all love F.Z.'s music :?: Music is the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 am 

KAPT.KIRK wrote:
8) Two down n 1000000000000 to go. Thanks polydigm How do you tell who's a spammer n who's just into fuckin' the site up? What ever happened to all the fun,of mutual basic understanding of why we all love F.Z.'s music :?: Music is the best!

Just check their accounts, spammers usually have a link or a brand name mentioned somewhere. They usually involve *SPAM*, porn, and cheap medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 am 

8) BBP,Thanks every little tid-bit helps.If I clicked on a link can they then get my e-mail from this sight? Alot of drugs from kunuck sources are e-mailed to me lately!You are polite too n I dig your website! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:42 pm 

Served with papers they may have been. But Zappanale19 was a fantastic weekend of music!!

Long live Zappanale...... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:47 am 

KAPT.KIRK wrote:
8) BBP,Thanks every little tid-bit helps.If I clicked on a link can they then get my e-mail from this sight? Alot of drugs from kunuck sources are e-mailed to me lately!You are polite too n I dig your website! :)

Even worse: their website could just install a virus straight away and you won't be able to use your PC for days!

If you get a lot of junk, make sure that:

-Your e-mail does NOT show up on any site in the world. Bots can browse all sites looking for the @-symbol and write down everything that looks like e-mail.
It should also not be available through any links, because bots can detect that. For instance, on your profile, check the box that says "hide e-mail from public".
-You use a special e-mail for subscribing to things. You'll often receive junk just by subscribing to something, whether community, contest or newsletter.
-NEVER EVER reply to a spammer, especially not if they say "reply if you don't want to see this message again".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:01 am 

8) BBP,Thanks so much! I used to watch the river flow.Now I see the need for dams! I have a roomy who thought it was cool to give my e-mail to a friend for sweepstakes and whatever!! Explains so much! I have told them both,This is how you find BBP and if it's cool she will let you know! I take it the're to shy to ask :lol: Oh yeah,they also thought it would stop,by sending back insulting e-mails! I try'ed to tell them, now they know they have a real site! Answer-Who are they? :x They now must read BBP's post ,about this before I"ll give them a hotmail e-mail address! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next